Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Muggy or 8ight T

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Muggy or 8ight T

What do you think is a better buy. A muggy rtr or a 8ight T rtr. I would drop an lrp 28 in both trucks with a jp-3 to match. If I bought the muggy I would buy the DX3 radio and change out the clutch to a fiorno with badlands and nice rims with the 17mm hexs. If I bought the 8ight T I would change the tires and rims and that would be it for a while until the new pipe and motor. I mostly bash but will race soon on my friends new track that will be built soon. I will drive both in the everyday terrain and even snow.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:58 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Muggy or 8ight T

That Muggy setup sounds awfully nice..

Isn't the 8T more a race-only kind of platform??.. For what you described I would - and did.... - get a Muggy.....
Old 08-09-2007, 12:51 PM
NitroVenom

I am going to go to the hobby store again soon so I can play with the muggy. They had a 8ight T in the showcase at the lhs and it was as big as an aftershock, just not as tall. The truck was built incredably well and really caught my eye. I only wish they asos had a muggy to compare it to. The muggy is probably going to be the better basher but the 8ight T will handle alot better than the muggy. Most people who buy the muggy will sell in a few mounths and then buy the 8ight T because its a real truggy. Patrick, you also said how much you liked the way it moved because its a truggy and also how it darted around. The 8ight T can do that even better than a muggy because its lighter and just as wide. The truck is a monster in size. This truck would stay with me for a couple years so it has to last. I am kind of crazy and if you think that I won't bash a $600 toy just as my savage you are very wrong. Honestly I am still undecided so more opinions would be great. If anyone has any pictures to compare the 2 trucks or just has one and would post up the pcs, that would be great.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
HerrSavage

IMO most people who are selling their Muggy's to get 8T's are doing it cuz the truggy-scene is currently so fad-driven... Some are already selling their 8T's to get X-rays, and in a few months the X-rays'll be up for sale.. For bashing I'm quite happy with the Mug, and would take it again over an 8T.... Especially given that I have an LST2 and so many parts are interchangeable...
Old 08-09-2007, 01:37 PM
unluckylonestar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got a muggy since ive bought that i have not look at any other put some cheap hpi nubz onit and it handles as good as an eight would but for bashing the eight is just to low and to racing but that my opinion
Old 08-09-2007, 03:03 PM
NitroVenom

I have played with the 8ight T and it is such a nice package. If I was going to get the muggy I would buy the dx-3 radio because I want spectrum. That would be $220 more money that I can't spend hopping up the truck. To run everything that I want for the truck would cost $273 for the engine, mud gaurds, jp-3 pipe, 12th cb, and max life clutch shoes. So im already in $493 in spending for the truck and I didn't even buy it yet. Then add maybe $50 to get some new oils, extra parts, and more fuel. Then new servos are in order and that is another $100 just for the steering. I have about $700 to spend and I can get the 8ight for $620 and then I would have enough for the new pipe. I would leave the 8ight T alone for a while because it would be a big improvement over the savy. Then I would buy the motor maybe in a few mounths. Like 2 or 3. Im so confuesed on what to get and can't wait to get either one. Losi makes great products and I know I won't be dissapointed with either one but It's so hard to pick[:@].
Old 08-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Akhor

I know that you are saying you have to purchase the DX3. However if you get the 8ight-T RTR it comes with a DX2. The only difference is the once channel. However, why would you need the DX3, it's not like you are going to throw reverse into the 8ight T or even the Muggy. So I think this expense can be over looked...

Unless you are buying the race roller, where you are going to have to add your expensive servos, motor and pipe off the bat.

I currently have a Savage and LST. With the hopups I've put on the LST runs with a Muggy no problem. However there is no keeping up to a 8ight-t.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:35 PM
HerrSavage

Is the 8T REALLY a viable bashing truck?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Akhor

Your right there Patrick, it is not a viable bashing truck.

So if your thinking about running in your local construction zone... It's not even an option.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
SOILWORK

I would go with the Muggy if you are bashing..if you are racing i would buy a Jammin CRT, I cant see spending $700 on a ready to run regardless of what kind of truck or radio it comes with
Old 08-09-2007, 03:41 PM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: Akhor

Your right there Patrick, it is not a viable bashing truck.

So if your thinking about running in your local construction zone... It's not even an option.
Why? I'm just curious - my Muggy is my first foray into the truggy world - but I'm only a basher so what do I know??... I AM very happy with it so far though....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ST2BashDay.flv

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t2vidremix.flv
Old 08-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Akhor

The Muggy is a viable option for running in a construction zone... But NOT the 8ight-T.

My fault for not being clear about which vehicle I was speaking about.

And the 8ight-t is not a viable option because it's built for much smoother terrain and will break running into rocks and other stuff...
Old 08-09-2007, 08:08 PM
NitroVenom

But how do you know if it will break running on a non-smooth surface. Everyone I have asked at my lhs and track say its alot more stronger than the muggy. He said the only time he broke the truck was when he was doing backfips and it landed on the roof, then fell off, landing on the rear wheel, and breaking the rear hub. He said he put 4 gallons through it before it broke and since then has not broken another part. This intrigued me.

As for getting the DX-3, I wanted it because I wanted a spectrum radio and you can get it with a secound reciever. Its cheaper to get the dx-3 then buy another reciever. I plan on putting the extra reciver in my mlst because you can't run the quark 33a with the stock reciever. It goes haywire or something.

I don't plan on running in a consruction zone. I would run on my block, take it to some fields, Jump it on 4 foot ramps at times. Mostly bicycle ramps though.(Maybe I will save the big ramps for the savy). I also wouldtake it to some dirt fields and race on the baseball fields.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 PM
nitroburnr

I dont know anything about either one but those are sweet vids
Old 08-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Iron Degree

Nitro...I dont have either. And I just bought my first nitro truck only 2 weeks ago.

But from reading this post it really sounds like you know what you want and just want a little validation or assurance to go buy it.
Sounds like you want the Eight to me.
But, I am recommending the Muggy to my brother-n-law. He is deffinatly not going to spend the money for the Eight. Besides we are just abusers.(thats bashing +)

I saw the pics of Patricks muggy...thats a sharp truck !
Old 08-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

IMO the 8ight-t would be a better buy.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:54 PM
HerrSavage

Nitro, get some pics in here!!.....
Old 08-13-2007, 10:14 PM
NitroVenom

I have been busy with the truck all weekend and Im sorry to keep you guys waiting but a I have to say I bought the 8ight T and it is amazing!!!! Its soooo fast. I think it could beat my savage and the 8ight T is completly stock! (savy has alot done like sts 30 nd 3 speed etc)

I am still running it rich because its in the 80's by me. Temps stay cool and usually ranges from 251-255. I already gave the truck a good beating. It can with stand alot. Its very fun to jump too. I have already cart wheeled it and did a couple front flips. I have not had any problems with breaking and the truck runs beautifully. I have not gotten a wheely out of it yet but I am still taking it easy on the truck. Its hard to keep the throttle pinned because its sooo fast. It runs out of space quick.

As for the muggy I decided not to get. Im glad with the purchase I made. I would have bought the muggy and first replace the clutch and then buy new tires and rims. Then the servos and radio. Finnaly the engine and pipe. In the end I would have a truck that could not handle as good or go as fast as the 8ight-T and be very broke. IMHO the muggy wasn't worth it. I bashed and beat the 8ight T and it didn't break but kept coming back for more. I am very happy with the purchase I made and will not look to buy another truck for a long time.

As for the pics Pat. I will get them up ASAP. Check out my other post.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Muggy250r

i love my muggy.... in 4 weeks im going to be racing it in a 2 day event....ill be running open monster with my stock muggy....which means ill be racing 8ight-t's.....BRING EM ON!!! the muggy might not be as nimble but it takes the bumps/jumps better and i bash the crap out of mine also either way u cant go wrong
Old 08-15-2007, 09:37 AM
NitroVenom

I already got the 8ight T and Love It! My friend might get a mug. Then we will see first hand which is best. See my other post.