Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Final steps -- getting lst2. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:52 AM
neupane00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final steps -- getting lst2. Please help

hey lst2 experts, i have been researching my first nitro monster truck. And i think i am sold that lst2 is the best right now. I was debating myself between mgt4.6 (cheap beginner solution) OR home run with revo3.3 or lst2. I was going to pull trigger on LST2 but i saw couple of things.

1) Revo3.3 manual looks SO detailed!! Looks REALLY user friendly. DETAILED break in procedure (tank by tank.. till 5th tank.. even winter procedure). Detail tuning and setup, from toes to caster to camber.. Maintaing and storing,. details on what kinda fuel to use,.. etc etc. etc.. DETAILED engine adjustment.. Looks nice and detailed. 42 pages! (gives me a feeling that revo3.3/traxxas is real user friendly.. beginner friendly i should say)

2) Now i went to LOSI website and pulled lst2 manual. It was crap black and white. And very user unfriendly. Is that what i am getting with truck? there is no details of setup, and engine adjustment and breakin procedure.. No esc setups.. I heard that i could put the truck in low range to get hang of it in lower speed.. But nothing like that mentioned in manual. Is the real manual that comes with truck this crap black and white 13 pages crap? I understand this is an awesome truck, but come on.. beginners gotta learn before they can use features.. (anyone agree that manual is not so great? )

3) ON traxxas's website, on revo3.3 page.. there is wealth of information on setup and tune ups.. and other resources for revo3.3.. couldnt find that for losi.

4) ANd another important thing thats holding me up is that, i read to thread lock all screws? really? so as soon as i get the lst2, first thing i do is disassemble the whole damn thing and start putting thread lock and assembling again? please tell me this is not true anymore and was true for first few rounds of losi lst2 trucks last year. They did solve this problem right? i dont need to do this anymore?

5) Is there a chrome wheel for lst2? i think chrome would look cooler than white one. Are those white wheels some kind of plastic compound? are they better than chrome? def not looks wise.

LST2 def sounds like awesome truck and tons of features.. but just these minor things are keeping me from clicking "buy it" button. Oh btw, last question.. best price i found was on amainhobbies for about $565 shipped. i guess thats the best price right? anyone use amainhobbies? any good?
Old 12-25-2007, 03:10 AM
full maxx

Default RE: Final steps -- getting lst2. Please help

1 the best price on the lst2 is horizon hobbies but you have to sign in to see it 2 i dont think threadlock is a problem anymore at least not on mine 3 you really dont want chrome wheels unless you dont want to drive it ...i made that mistake by getting aftermarket wheels ...the chrome will peel and chip no matter which truck you get the white wheels are the toughest by far 4 as far as the manual it is as you see it but look at it this way losi spent money on the design of the truck not the manual and the truck itself is very easy to tune and maintain however i do not own a revo or a mgt and i prob. never will as the lst2 is more than tough enough for me and i bash it pretty good ... dont get me wrong i am not knocking the other two i just never had them however i do have a genesis le and mine is a p.o.s. without a doubt but you are doing the right thing by asking questions ... i think it will all boil down to which one you like the best but check the other boards about the other two before you decide as knowledge is power ...hope this helps and i am not an expert by no means this is just my experience thus far but i am sold on losi 100%
Old 12-25-2007, 10:37 AM
ARDV8

Have a look at this thread, not sure how much you would have to pay in shipping, taxes though

[link=http://lstforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11662]LST Forum Link[/link]
Old 12-25-2007, 10:57 AM
RCtruckRacer

1) Revo3.3 manual looks SO detailed!! Looks REALLY user friendly. DETAILED break in procedure (tank by tank.. till 5th tank.. even winter procedure). Detail tuning and setup, from toes to caster to camber.. Maintaing and storing,. details on what kinda fuel to use,.. etc etc. etc.. DETAILED engine adjustment.. Looks nice and detailed. 42 pages! (gives me a feeling that revo3.3/traxxas is real user friendly.. beginner friendly i should say)
To be honest, I have not seen the new Revo manual. But even the old 2.5r manual was better than the one that came with the LST. Traxxas definately spends more in the technical writing department. Hands down, the Traxxas trucks are more beginner friendly. But if you have any skill at tinkering with things in general, you won't have many problems in this hobby. You'll find a lot more information in these forums however, and its just as likely as not that any issue you will come across won't be solved by checking the manual. But the fine members of this huge forum will be glad to help!

2) Now i went to LOSI website and pulled lst2 manual. It was crap black and white. And very user unfriendly. Is that what i am getting with truck? there is no details of setup, and engine adjustment and breakin procedure.. No esc setups.. I heard that i could put the truck in low range to get hang of it in lower speed.. But nothing like that mentioned in manual. Is the real manual that comes with truck this crap black and white 13 pages crap? I understand this is an awesome truck, but come on.. beginners gotta learn before they can use features.. (anyone agree that manual is not so great? )
Like I said, Traxxas trucks have the better manuals. You'll find that the time you spend in this hobby is inversely proportional to the amount of time you will need to refer to the manuals. The only time I ever use mine is for the parts explosions. You get to that point pretty quickly, and then all that extra stuff becomes unnecessary.

4) ANd another important thing thats holding me up is that, i read to thread lock all screws? really? so as soon as i get the lst2, first thing i do is disassemble the whole damn thing and start putting thread lock and assembling again? please tell me this is not true anymore and was true for first few rounds of losi lst2 trucks last year. They did solve this problem right? i dont need to do this anymore?
I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to this one. I would never buy any RTR and not go through the thing with a fine tooth comb and make sure every metal to metal part had locktite holding things together. The more use an R/C gets, the more maintenance it needs - especially if you want it to perform like new.

There are some wheel options for the LST2, but you have to get proprietary 20mm Losi wheels. Many people change out the hexes to 17 or 23 mm wheels, where you have many more options.

Amain is a great place, I use them once in a while. [link=http://www.killerhobbies.com]Killer Hobbies[/link] might have a slightly lower price, I haven't checked recently. My suggestion would be to go to your local hobby shop and purchase there, no matter what truck you choose. The main reason is that most well run shops are very happy to help out their customers if they have any problems. Having someone to tell you how to fix the issue you are having face-to-face is well worth the few extra dollers you will (may?) spend as opposed to getting it off the net. Many shops will take 5 minutes and show you how to tune it. Probably the most valuable thing you can learn when starting out in the hobby.

Happy Holidays, and welcome to the forums.

PS: both trucks are great, and you'll have a blast with whichever one you choose! [8D]
Old 12-25-2007, 12:35 PM
neupane00

ORIGINAL: full maxx

1 the best price on the lst2 is horizon hobbies but you have to sign in to see it

Really, horizon hobby shows 649 or something. Do i need to create account, login and then i see better price? Also are there any coupons for horizonhobby? i tried searching web, but there seems to be nothing.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:36 PM
neupane00

ORIGINAL: ARDV8

Have a look at this thread, not sure how much you would have to pay in shipping, taxes though

[link=http://lstforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11662]LST Forum Link[/link]
no direct shipping kills it
Old 12-25-2007, 06:42 PM
BMX420BOY_77

I think traxxas are a pain to work on everything is so close together but the losi are a little bit more spaced out and makes it alot easier to work on.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:58 PM
hajile1997

This is the same age old debate that you read a million times on every forum. At my LHS the LST2 is $679.00 plus taxes which would bring the total to about $690+ dollars NOT counting the battery needed ($20) and fuel, and different accessories. I would search until you find the lowest available price and many of them feature free shipping... There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying online from a reputable/popular/well known dealer/store..

Traxxas is best for newbies and the Revo 3.3 has it;s issues JUST like the LST2 does. It is one of the premier MT's in the hobby just as the LST2 is.. It is like Tundra owners and Silverado owners. The debate will never have a clear winner and for good reason..I like something different from you....such as life.....Go with what YOU will feel comfortable with dealing with...

Reading is the best way IMO to learn and that is a big part of this hobby and will save you money in the long run when you learn how to repair/maintain your own truck......

My best to you my friend......
Old 12-26-2007, 03:11 PM
neupane00

Hey guys, thanks for all your feedback. I pulled trigger on LST2. :-D .. My decision was swayed by follwoing facts:
1) lst2 is bigger truck
2) easier to work than revo
3) good radio
4) bigger engine
5) better body
6) as or more durable than any other trucks
Concerns i have are:
a) worse local support than traxxas
b) not many online store (that ship from east cost) carry LST2 (maybe i dont know yet)
c) no one locally has lst2 (so i have to depend of forums. and help from you guys)
d) not as many setup docs, dvds ect as revos..

But the plus point of this truck far outweighted the negatives and i pulled trigger. Thanks again for all your support, suggestions and post. One of my friends was like getting lst2 for very first MT is like getting bmw 7 series as starter college car we will see. here is my order:

1 x Team Losi LST2 Super Truck RTR w/XS3 & Mach 427 Engine (LOSB0015)
1 x GPM Alloy Front/Rear Castor Blocks (C-Hubs) (Silver) (GRSLST1019-S)
1 x GPM Alloy Front/Rear Spindles/Steering Blocks (Silver) (GRSLST1021-S)
1 x Pacer After Run Oil (1oz) (PAAPT31)
1 x OFNA Quick Fill 500c Fuel Bottle with Auto Stop (OFN10161)
1 x Pro Exotics PE-1 Temp Gun (PEXPE-1)
1 x Team Losi R/C Truck Diaper/Carrier (LOSA99008)
4 x Racers Edge McCoy #59 Hot Glow Plug (1) (RCEMC59)
2 x Team Losi Nitrotane Race 20% (One Quart) (LOSF0420)
1 x Team Losi Air Cleaner Set: LST (LOSB5020)
Old 12-26-2007, 07:44 PM
full maxx

dont worry about shipping from what i have read on here from time to time all the on-line stores have really fast shipping just a few days however it kinda sucks waiting a couple of days to replace a broken part but i have driven two hours for the exhaust manifold cause the shop i go to was out and they would have it restocked in like four days and i didnt want to wait so do a search for the surrounding cities to see if there is a hobby store that carries what you need and then there is always ebay a few good sellers are jennys rc sports and one guy whos ebay name is 81171 i think its his birthday idk but they are very trustworthy and they have super fast shipping and usually cheaper than buying new from a hobby store even with shipping and if the auction gets too high there will be another ending the same day or the next day
Old 12-27-2007, 08:45 PM
moz

i wouldnt get some of the stuff on your list, like the diaper bag, and blocks. The only things you need for a new lst 2 is a foc and a dynamite engine brace. save your money on the other stuff and replace things when/if they break.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:26 PM
nitrorc89

just buy stuff as it breaks...cause alot of that stuff you wont break...for example...i have had a tmaxx for 2 years now....it was my first truck...everyone says get rpm a arms...in the 2 years i have never broke an a-arm...so just buy stuff as you break it...
Old 12-27-2007, 09:51 PM
neupane00

ORIGINAL: moz

i wouldnt get some of the stuff on your list, like the diaper bag, and blocks. The only things you need for a new lst 2 is a foc and a dynamite engine brace. save your money on the other stuff and replace things when/if they break.
i got dynamite brace thru other website already. diaper bag i needed cuz i put that stuff on my back seat now i am thinking its cost is not justified tho. you are right. And blocks i got cuz everyone recommend getting spindles.. and the block seem to go with it... and THE ONLY thing i break all the time in my electric truck is castor block.. so i think it would be nice. This hobby is costing me a fortune.. this better be worth it .. and lst2 better be worth it.. with lst2,these other stuff.. and oh tools (EXPENSIVE).. cost be over $1000 bucks already! i dont wanna look at my credit card balance now. haha..