Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

glow question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:48 AM
nitrorc89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow question

ok been in this hobby for a while now but still dont know the awnser to this....recently had a problem with break in on my losi...the problem was when u give it gas it would bogg...no matter if u leaned it out or richened...sent it back to losi...they are sending me new motor...anyways...everyone told me to get a hotter burning glow plug...well here is somewhat of a newby question...how would a hotter burning glow plug affect your truck after the initial start or would it??
Old 01-05-2008, 09:57 AM
RCtruckRacer

Default RE: glow question

The plug affects the engine's timing - as do many other factors. A hotter plug advances the timing and a colder plug retards it.

Also, ambient temperatures can affect the timing. A 40 deg drop in temperature will retard the timing. Going from 20% nitro to 30% nitro will advance the timing. Adding a head shim will retard the timing. Etc.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:28 PM
nitrorc89

alright...i was just wondering this because i got hotter glow plugs for my trucks...and wondering how it affects it...i also took my glow igniter apart and made it work off a 6volt battery...that helps a lot
Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 AM
LosiMadMan

Buy a better Hot shot, and I didn't see what kind of plug your useing in your post. It's about 30 to 50 degrees here and I'm useing a OS 5 plug and it works just fine. I used to run MC 59 in my Maxx it's a pretty hot plug.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:46 AM
nitrorcjunkie

You're probably gonna burn out you plugs using 6 volts on them. I'd also like to elaborate a little on nitro engine timing. What truck racer said was correct. Nitro fuel requires a specific temperature and pressure to burn. It does not explode, but burns at a fast rate. A hotter plug, or higher nitro content changes the time of ignition in relation to where the piston is in the cylinder. Having the mixture ignite at top dead center of the stroke is referred to as zero advance, which is not necessarily the best place for the air/fuel mixture to ignite. The ideal is for the mixture to ignite at a certain point after TDC, which point is a matter of much debate. So, a hotter plug will force the mixture to ignite closer to TDC than a colder plug, etc. If the mixture takes too long to reach the required temperature and pressure before ignition, the engine will bog, or even flame out. Hope this helps.