Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST2 big-air suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST2 big-air suspension setup?

I built a wood 1/4 pipe for my LST2, and I have been launching it further and further out into the grass.

I know that downsides are the answer to big air, but I noticed that even at about 5 feet high, when I flat land in the grass the vehicle bounces about 5" off the ground. I have stock shocks with 7.2lb springs on all four. I assume rebound is too great as it should soak the hit up more than bounce. I jump a little nose high and then brake in the air to level it out, so I am not landing with a lot of drivetrain momentum.

Can anyone more experienced than me possibly recommend a better suspension setup for decent jumping? Should I use the thickest oil? How can I get rid of rebound?

Now the suspension isn't causing any problems for me like this, but I figured learning what is "correct" also couldn't hurt anything.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Default RE: LST2 big-air suspension setup?

Which springs exactly do you have?? What shock fluid did you use?? Do you follow the manual when you service your shocks and bleed them??
Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 PM
bigairlife

Do you have those yellow springs?
I would suggest rc raven dual rate springs
Old 02-06-2008, 02:20 AM
Matt_M

The springs are the orange New Era 7.2lb springs I ordered from Killer Hobbies.

When I rebuilt the shocks last in the summer I was using 30wt oil I believe. Is this too thin I imagine? What should I be doing when I rebuild the shocks to bleed them correctly? I never had a manual for my truck. I only have about 1hr on my LST2 total, so I'm not entirely familiar with it yet.

By the way, when I was jumping I had the stock tires on there and suspension at a high height. I lowered the suspension to its lowest settings, and I got a set of 40 series pro-line wheels and race tires. So I'm not sure how it's going to do when the weather warms up again with the new setup, but I assume it's still going to have most of the rebound it has now. If it helps, I have a short video clip of it landing to get an idea.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:40 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RC Raven springs are a top 3 upgrade for me.. I think have 35 wt in mine, and for me it's a very very good combo for jumping.. BTW, what's "bleeding a shock"?? [X(]
Old 02-06-2008, 06:31 AM
nitro _ burner

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

RC Raven springs are a top 3 upgrade for me.. I think have 35 wt in mine, and for me it's a very very good combo for jumping.. BTW, what's "bleeding a shock"?? [X(]
Bleeding a shock is when you fill 'er up, then screw it all back together. What you end up with is too much fluid and the shock wont completely compress (can lead to bad handling/bounciness) so you undo a small screw at the top of the shock then slowly compress the shock.All the excess fluid should "bleed" out the small gap when you undo (not completely unscrew) the screw.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I'm not familiar with the New Era springs but I suspect you need minimum 45wt LOSI fluid.

I remove the bleeder screw from the shock cap. I fill the shock with the fluid and work the piston up and down removing any air. Then with the piston complete down I screw on the cap. I will screw the adjustment collar up to the o-ring and then screw the cap on with the adjustment collar at the same time, this help keep the O-ring seated. Then I move the shock to full compression letting excess air and fluid escape from the bleeder hole, with the shock fully compressed I reinstall the bleeder screw and plastic seal.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM
bigairlife

Yup. On my muggy/aft. i run rc raven springs and 45wt oil for jumping. This is great, and it only bottoms out on reallly big jumps, which really isn't a problem. It's a great setup overall.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Matt_M

Here is a WMV video of it jumping once. Please tell me if it is fairly normal for it to bounce on such a landing, or if it really should be rebounding less.

Download it here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/8au8hz

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:15 PM
2DMaxLST!!

The stock tires have a lot of bounce in them.

(note: previously posted video)-->[link=http://lstvideos.com/03312007/lst_bash_mar31.wmv]Video: Softest LOSI springs and 27.5wt LOSI oil.... [/link]