Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

New LST2, no go...stuck in 'neutral' ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:58 PM
MSM78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LST2, no go...stuck in 'neutral' ??

Hello all. I am a newbie to the nitro monster trucks. I recently purchased a LOSI LST2. I broke it in doing the heat cycle method that I found on here and various sites. I have about 4 tanks through it. As of yesterday, it started running really good. Actually shifted a few times, etc. Started fine tuning it. All was good it kept running better and better. I am not done tuning it by any means, but I am seeing progress so I must be doing something right!

Few problems:

#1 - High idle. Sometimes it will even creep on its own after its wamred up with me giving it throttle. I havent messed with the LSN much, so maybe that is part of the problem. I wanted to get the bogging out of the HSN and I think I am almost there. Do I adjust the idle screw only after I have dialed in the HSN and the LSN?

#2 - If I am on the the throttle when it is warmed up, and let off, sometimes it will still act as if I am about 1/4 throttle, I actually have to hold the brake to keep stop it, and keep it from driving off.

#3 - Yesterday it seemed to really start running great towards the end of the day. Ran it out of fuel, put some after run oil in it, turned it to TDC and called it a day. Today I go out to run a few more tanks through it. I fire it up (starts right up), and give it some throttle. The truck goes no where. Its like its stuck in neutral or something. I tried switching it from HIGH to LOW and LOW to HIGH and nothing. Then the rpms SHOT up and it was SCREAMING. I shut it down and right about the time it shut down, split second before it was off, it jumped as if it went back into gear. Fired it up again, same thing. Waited a while, and tried it again, it drove normal for about 1 minute and then back into neutral and the rpms shot up again. Still have throttle control with the radio, but its just free revving, then shoots up real high.

Its almost like its slipping, or something, but it did this during break in a few times, but not as bad, I think it was just loading up because it would eventually start moving and then all was good.

I checked the slipper adjustment and it seems okay. tighten and then 1 turn out.

Any ideas, seems strange it happened all of the sudden. Yesterday it was fine, today it doesnt want to move.

Thanks in advance, I plan on spening alot of time here

Old 02-17-2008, 06:14 PM
pzr

Default RE: New LST2, no go...stuck in 'neutral' ??

Is the clutch bell spinning?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:37 PM
MSM78

just went out and tried it again to see if it was spinning. Ran normal for about 60 seconds, then went into its 'neutral' fit and idle raced up as if I was full throttle. Still could rev it upwith the radio, but couldnt get it too move. The clutch bell was spinning like crazy when it was in the neutral fit. Shut it down, once the clutch bell and high gear hub almost stopped spinning it kind of clunked as if it went into gear again.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 PM
brettkrupa

WOW, you just explained the exact same problem I am having with my truck, every single symptom you said matches up with the problem I am having. I ordered a few new parts they should ship out tomorrow. I don't know how much of a hurry you are in but in a week when I get the parts I could pm you and tell you if it is working and what to order. Parts I ordered are: Slipper assem., complete spur gear assem., tranny and a few connecting rods. Do you find that if you turm the spur gear by hand the truck will move but it wont move when the engine is spinning it?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:30 PM
MSM78

Yeah, I will be gone for a few days anyways, so I can wait. yeah, I went out and pulled the side cover off and if I turn the spur gear by hand, the wheels all turn. Weird you are having the same problem. How long have you had your truck? Mine is still brand new, only a few tanks through it. just getting it broken in and now I can even drive it.
How did you know what parts to order?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 PM
MSM78

what about a "one way bearing"? I have been searching and it seems like when those go, it gives the same symptoms.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 PM
brettkrupa

My truck has only had about 5 tanks of fuel though it. The one way bearing will be included with the spur gear assem. but it does not make sense that the one way bearing would be gone because the truck still moves when you turn the spur gear.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Sugafree

The OWB's Slipping.....Clean it and it should be Fine......
Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 AM
bigairlife

Ya. You dont have to order anything. Just disassemble the 2 speed assembly and clean the owb. It should be good as new then
=-]
Old 02-18-2008, 04:08 AM
nitro _ burner

My truck did the same thing, so i cleaned it. But to no avail!!
So i sent it back... then i was sent a new one... I LOVE THIS TRUCK NOW!!! backflip??
Old 02-18-2008, 09:39 AM
busa 2002
My Feedback: (4)

you may have gotten fuel on the one way bearing.like others said just clean the it and it will stop slipping
Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 AM
MSM78

Sweet, thanks!! I'll try that. thanks guys. I'll report back when I get back in town and give it a shot. Guess I should pick up some OWB oil too huh? How often should it be cleaned and oiled?

Brettkrupa, you may want to give this a shot too!! Sounds like it could be the fix without spending a dime!

Old 02-18-2008, 01:09 PM
dominic magri

i wouldnt worry too much about it as long as the shaft it goes on is clean and the owb is dirt free it should work.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:21 PM
newaddict

I tried cleaning my owb for a while..that method probably lasted me like 4 tanks max and then it started slipping again....

Cleaning is just postponing a purchase of a new owb...My advice, just buy a new owb and get rid of all problems because in the very near future, you're going to have to buy one anyways, this cleaning solution is nowhere near permanent.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Sugafree

Cleaning and Using One-way Lube (25ml) Should be Considered a Part of Normal Matince .....

Lubricant Improves engaging Speed and Increases 1-way bearing Durability. A Must for the Serious Racer. A Drop will Cure a slipping 1-way Immediately
Old 02-18-2008, 02:33 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Just 2 drops of [link=https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=ns&pn=SER1680]this[/link] every half gallon or so and the OWB will last forever. I can't imagine not having a bottle in my pitbox.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:55 PM
bigtreds

msm78............. I saw where you said you turned the engine to TDC when you where done for the day. you should put the piston all the way down when you shut it off. not at the top. (you prob. ment to say that but just checking)
Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM
MSM78

my bad, yes I meant BDC. thanks for checking!!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:21 PM
MSM78

brettkrupa, have you found your problem yet? I havent had a chance to mess with mine, been out of town. Anyways, I am going to oil up the OWB tonight or tomorrow and give it a shot.

Whats the best/easiest way to clean it before I oil it?

Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:30 PM
funman1

I would guess a stripped spur gear (Just missing some teeth)?
Or something in the tranny

With the way you can run it for a while then slips into netural can you push it and get it going again?

And if it keeps goin up in RPMs either your LSN is set too lean (The idle will sounds oddly high, not like when you rev high)
OR you just have your Idle screw set too high.

But it sounds like LSN too lean to me.

QUESTION:
Do you guys drop your engine and pull the starter plate off to apply the One Way Oil?
I have never used it in all my years of bashing.

I used to go through a OWB every time I went into the sand with my Savage?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:13 PM
brettkrupa

well, I cleaned the one way and still had the same probem, then I replaced the entire spur gear setup now it works perfectly
Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 PM
2DMaxLST!!

2 drops of actual OWB lube and your old set will still be good, unless you held it wide open. You can also replace just the OWB in the center of the low speed spur.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 PM
MSM78

wow so your problem is fixed with the replacement of the spur gear assembly. What all parts does that include? When you replaced them did you find any thing wrong with the old parts to actually narrow down the cause of the problem?

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Sugafree

The OWB's in the 2-Speed Low Gear Hub w/1-Way: LST, LST2, AFT - LOSB3410 or you can Replace just the OWB Part# HF0812 Or Better yet get some One-way Lube and Clean the Bearing thats in the Truck now........
Old 03-19-2008, 01:19 AM
brettkrupa

well the only thing that could have been faulty was the OWB but I tested it and it worked fine, so I dont know. But if you are in no hurry I would try just replacing the one way or cleaning it before getting an entire new spur gear setup. I wanted to upgrade to the lst2 spur gears anyways though :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.