Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Just recieved my XXL

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:33 AM
TnRCguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just recieved my XXL

I too agree that there is some odd issues here where it seems that not all of the blame should be on Losi.... I have broke one thing on mine, a shock shaft, well and the pull start. And I've completely beat mine to death. I'm not gonna lie, I'm hard as hell on mine but I also take precautionary measures before driving AND while I'm driving it. My tune is solid as hell, making tons of power and not one issue with anything breaking abnormaly. Maybe there are a few lemons, but I would almost shy towards user error in some of these cases. All my stuff is great after 1 1/2 gallons of bashing, mudding, jumping, BAD wrecks, etc. I even bought a brand new back up diff and the mesh on it is perfect.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:22 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also still have the original wheel bearings. Never had to change..

I also never opened a diff when my LST2 was new..

The leaky LRP 30 sounds like a front bearing problem? Did you break it in at all??

I will admit too - I recently got a new LST2 to make into a racer, and I've already had 2-speed OWB issues.. The dumb little nut was coming loose on its own. Have it threadlocked now.. Maybe some of these LST2's and LST2 parts used on the XXL have just been sitting around in some warehouse for years or something....
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Some of the comments from bigblockxxl and stealth revo make me wonder... One, no nitro engine has 3+ hp.. Second, I kind of get the impression that you guys think you can just start the engine and floor it. Any RC needs going over the diffs, threadlocking, checking the slipper, etc...

I don't know, you say you've had lots of other RC's.. So maybe Losi really did produce a few lemmons.. But I'm skeptical.. I have never opened a diff in my LST2 in two years and 8+ gallons, and now have an LRP Spec 3 in it. Same story with the Muggy I had...

And one of you, I forget which..., didn't listen when we told you that THE LRP SPEC 3 IS IDENTICAL TO THE 454...

I don't want this to turn into an argument or anything.. So no offense to anybody. In fact, I got into a few when I first joined the Losi world a few years ago. But you guys have to learn, you can trust people like sugafree and dacaur, and others who have been around Losis for a while. I can tell you this - my LST2 is VASTLY tougher and more robust than my Savage XSS.. So I hope you see what I'm saying - there are like two or three people here having weird problems, and it just seems kind of fishy..

My LST2 has always been my primadonna RC, but I don't baby it. I do however go over screws, look it over pretty thoroughly..., and make sure everything's working properly before thrashing it..

And as for driving style, if you're driving into walls or something well of course it'll break... Hubs now, they do break. I've done a couple. But I've done more on my Savage..

On the other hand, I do believe that there is a lot of quality inconsistency in RC, so who knows?..
Perhaps you should go back to the beginning and read all the posts so you can get a better understanding of what I'm going through. You are questioning things I've allready posted. And if No Nitro engine has 3+HP, why is it stated in the ad that they produce 3.4HP. I'm just quoting the manufacture. Are they missrepresenting their product? I've gone over my truck. Every time I run it, before and after.
I know of a guy with a Aftershock, I've seen him run it and that's where I got the idea to get the XXL.
Not much I can do about peoples opinion nor anyone else's experience. I never said I don't trust Sugafree or Dacaur. . . .We are all here to help each other and to learn.
But please tell me what impression I gave to you or anyone else that I start my truck then floor it? I've posted two video's on youtube, watch them and please tell me what I'm doing wrong. It's messed up that you can't tell me they are good videos but you have no problem pointing out my wrong doings. All your doing is chasing me from this web site and making this a bad experience for me. Posting my name without contacting me first was very disrespectful. That's what Private Messeges are for.
As a matter of fact you just ruined my whole experience of posting on rcuniverse. You have offended me, Greatly. If you didn't want to start a arguement you shouldn't have posted in the first place.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFpmd4IbOQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Z2iQIlhj8[/youtube]
Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Lst xxl

HerrSavage Date 4/21/2009 8:22 PM
I also still have the original wheel bearings. Never had to change..

I also never opened a diff when my LST2 was new..

The leaky LRP 30 sounds like a front bearing problem? Did you break it in at all??

I will admit too - I recently got a new LST2 to make into a racer, and I've already had 2-speed OWB issues.. The dumb little nut was coming loose on its own. Have it threadlocked now.. Maybe some of these LST2's and LST2 parts used on the XXL have just been sitting around in some warehouse for years or something....

What do u think it needs replacing? it was only weeping alittle. Yeah I ran it in no more than half throttle and done the heat cylce method on it, I put 6 tanks in it before I gave it full throttle. I look after my stuff well alway's put the piston to bottom dead centre after every run clean and check it all the time.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:14 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bigblock, take it easy. I didn't mean any offense - honestly. There are just a few things that need to be clarified here.

One, the most powerful nitro engine I know of is a Supertib or AB Mods modded Picco P3 28 with 2.3 hp or so. I think maybe for weird drag-racing purposes they can squeeze 2.5 out. Then I don't know, a clutch will last one run or something.. An LRP 30 probably has 2-ish. So I guess the best answer is yes, the manufacturers just lie. There are several dyno threads around on RCU. 1.7 hp for ex would be a lot IMO, and enough to scoot an XXL around just fine.. My favorite RC engine is a Mach 427, with I think 1.3 hp, and an LRP Spec 3, with 1.8. I don't care about numbers all that much. That's for the CEN guys wrenching and trying to get their big dumb engines running while I'm screaming around with my Mach... Mean to say, but true I'm afraid.

As for the breakage, I don't know. On the one hand, maybe it is just poor quality and people really are getting lemmons.. I was just not sure what was going on, because some of the comments made in this thread made me wonder. Just a minor misunderstanding. So sorry if you were offended. I've always liked Losi forums best because there tends to be the least amount of petty bickering, so I'm all for keeping it that way...

Lst xxl, how much oil exactly are you getting under the flywheel, and is your LRP easy to tune? I mean, when you let the truck sit overnight, is there a small puddle, a couple drops, or is just wet behind the flywheel? If it's not actually dripping I personally wouldn't worry about it. A leaky front bearing I think would lead to tuning problems. I am not however an engine guru, but if it gets worse you might need to replace the front bearing. I'll let one of the other guys tell you how to do that(requires putting the engine block in the oven I think...) I had one once on an Axial 28RR, and just put a wide-ish washer behind the flywheel, and that seemed to solve it.. Probably not good advice though.. If your tune is consistent I wouldn't worry about for now..
Old 05-16-2009, 12:13 PM
bigblock454XXL

Well I sent my radio to Horizon on the April 20TH, They received it April 22ND and I just received it, (fixed), by FedEx today. Seems by looking at it they reused my scroll button that I fixed so I'm guessing they fixed the circut board for the scroll button mechanism or they replaced it. Either way It's back home and I'm very happy. Now I can get back to monitoring my telemetry settings and get ready for the racing season at OakHill Speedway inWaterford Pa.

Hope Ya'll have a safe and fun summer of 2009.

Another bad day of bashing yesterday. I was about a tank into the day, about 15 minutes, and this happened.

The S**t Fairy loves me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92972.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1199407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83464.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1199408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96730.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1199409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95364.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1199410  
Old 05-16-2009, 12:31 PM
stealth_revo

Ah man, that sucks.  At least it's an easy fix!  I took my xxl out yesterday.  And drove around for a tank (with the body on) before I realized my air filter wasn't on anymore!  Remember the dirt pile I drive in?  Yeah... it happened AGAIN!  My poor 30 has seen 10x more dirt than all my other engines combined!  Now I have to spend 3 hrs tearing it down, cleaning it out, and sealing it up again.  Only to hope there is enough compression left!  ARGH!  It's going to take a lot of motivation...
Old 05-16-2009, 04:06 PM
bigblock454XXL

That's a bummer. Boy. . .. . . your sure putting it through it's paces. Hope it'll just need a good cleaning!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Jarrett123

Does this thing have TONS of problems or does it just seem like it? I was going to buy one for sure until i read this and now im scarred to buy one.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Sugafree

This is about the Only forum I've seen Peeps having any kinda Problems with it.............(Mostly user Error[/b]  IMO)
Old 05-19-2009, 11:47 PM
stealth_revo

I love it.  I had a few probs in the beginning...  Kept breaking all my steering parts.  Once I upgraded them, it never breaks!  Just make sure your air filter doesn't come off when driving

Just make sure you shim the diffs...

Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 AM
dacaur

most people arent having any problems. a couple people seem to have lots, I guess a few of the early trucks were lemons, or maybe they just drive extra hard... I am loving mine.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:59 AM
full maxx

[quote]ORIGINAL: dacaur

or maybe they just drive extra hard..
Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 AM
TnRCguy

I have beat mine to hell and back and I havent had any problems with  mine. The only problems I know of are from people on here. I'm actually suprised I havent broken more!!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Jarrett123

Will this thing pull wheelies out of the box? Just wondering cuz wheelies are fun. Maybe even with stiffer springs or something.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
bigblock454XXL

Sure, if you tighten your slipper clutch nut all the way in and lean it out. You should buy one. Mine broke because I was too rough on it. It was all my fault. I really had no clue what I was doing. I never even broke in the engine. Just fired it up and ran it. Still runs good. Got her up to 52 MPH @ 2 Gallons of fuel. I've gone through a set of clutch shoes, steering blocks, 4 turn buckles, bell crank, 2 wheels are cracked, 4 sets of rear body mount posts, header pipe and 2 blown diffs. And that's all from driver error. But that's ok, It's still running. I've got extra parts of each of what I just listed. When I replace something I buy an extra one of that part. Except for the body mount posts. I fabricated a set from old brake line from my old car. The best part. . . . I'm having tons of fun and learning alot in the process. Even have an extra tranny sitting on a shelf just in case.
It's worth every penny and every headache!!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:14 PM
jackieb

Does this thing have TONS of problems or does it just seem like it? Iwas going to buy one for sure until i read this and now im scarred tobuy one.
This thread is what has finally convinced me to buy the LST XXL instead of the other trucks that I was considering.  I have learned a ton about this truck and  nitro monster trucks in general in this single thread.  I am a complete noob and have been doing massive research to find the right truck for me.  I have found it here and  I am ready to go for it. 
Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
stealth_revo

ORIGINAL: jackieb

Does this thing have TONS of problems or does it just seem like it? Iwas going to buy one for sure until i read this and now im scarred tobuy one.
This thread is what has finally convinced me to buy the LST XXL instead of the other trucks that I was considering. I have learned a ton about this truck and nitro monster trucks in general in this single thread. I am a complete noob and have been doing massive research to find the right truck for me. I have found it here and I am ready to go for it.

You will be happy as can be this the XXL! As you can tell by my name, I use to have a revo... Never ever again! It's a blast to drive, and once you upgrade the steering line you'll never break anything!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 PM
bigblock454XXL

Best thing is. . . . . . you can read everything from Good, Bad and the Ugly all in one post about the Losi XXL. I have had no problems since my last post. I'm not too concerned about other peoples opinion. All I know is what I experienced. If it's all in my error, that's fine by me. I sure learned alot from my broken parts. To be honest, I think the ground that MaddMatt lives on is cursed. And that's my story. . . And I'm stickin' to it.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Blade-breaker
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: stealth_revo

ORIGINAL: jackieb

Does this thing have TONS of problems or does it just seem like it? Iwas going to buy one for sure until i read this and now im scarred tobuy one.
This thread is what has finally convinced me to buy the LST XXL instead of the other trucks that I was considering. I have learned a ton about this truck and nitro monster trucks in general in this single thread. I am a complete noob and have been doing massive research to find the right truck for me. I have found it here and I am ready to go for it.

You will be happy as can be this the XXL! As you can tell by my name, I use to have a revo... Never ever again! It's a blast to drive, and once you upgrade the steering line you'll never break anything!

Where are you getting the upgraded steering parts? I love my XXL but the steering linkage could use a upgrade.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 AM
stealth_revo

ORIGINAL: Blade-breaker

Where are you getting the upgraded steering parts? I love my XXL but the steering linkage could use a upgrade.
I upgraded the bellcrank, and spindles to aluminum. And got a set of lundsford turnbuckles. Got the turnbuckles from hopmeup on eBay. If you are interested in the other two items, my brother bought a batch of engine braces, bellcranks, and spindles from GPM a few months back and still has some avail to sell.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:52 AM
stealth_revo

These are what EVERY LST2/XXL owner needs!
GPM is top of the line too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21926.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1236039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25337.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1236040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58586.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1236041  
Old 07-14-2009, 06:04 AM
bigblock454XXL

I got the Aluminum Spindles and Engine Brace. Still waiting for financial gain to get the Bellcranks.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:06 AM
stealth_revo

My bro has them for $19 - 10x better than the integy crap on eBay!