Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

nitro storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:22 PM
full maxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro storage

Does it hurt the fuel to be stored in an out building with no climate control
Old 03-21-2009, 06:45 PM
la.rc.doc
My Feedback: (197)

Default RE: nitro storage

It won't hurt the fuel at all, as long as you keep the cap on it tight.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM
jikkuria

i dont think it would hurt it, but when you store it, squeeze as much air out of the bottle as possible, then cap it. just be careful to not puncture the bottle.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Airbus 9e

Cap the bottle so no humidity can get in and be absorbed by the alcohol in the fuel, and store in out of the light. Mine is on a shelf in the basement....
Old 03-21-2009, 07:25 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Cap, squeeze air out, out of light, CONTROLLED environment, OFF of concrete.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:31 PM
jikkuria

i forgot what concrete does to it, but i read it some where, can someone remind me?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Sugafree

Understanding Fuel
Model engine "glow" fuel is made up of three key elements: methanol, oil and nitromethane. Many fuel manufacturers include other additives that are designed to solve any number of common problems that may occur with our fuel. But for now, let's only address the most common elements of the fuel and how you can care for your fuel to keep it fresh and stop it from going "bad." These steps will ultimately make your model engine operations easier.

Why would fuel go "bad"?
The largest portion of the fuel is methanol (alcohol). Methanol is hygroscopic; it attracts moisture. This can cause your fuel to be contaminated with water, which will cause poor engine performance. Additionally, the UV rays in sunlight will eventually break down the nitromethane if the fuel jug is stored in sunlight for long periods of time.

How can you tell when your fuel has gone "bad"?
The first indications will generally be the inability to start the engines at previously run needle-valve settings. Another clue might be that the engine has very poor idle, runs but bogs down tremendously during run up and/or will not attain the same RPMs you are used to.

How do I keep my fuel fresh?
If you have the opportunity, look for someone at a flying field on a sunny day who has a jug of fuel that is only ¼ full. What you may notice is that there are droplets attached to the top and sides of the fuel. This is the moisture in the air that is condensing inside the jug because of the greenhouse effect of the semi-translucent plastic jug. One way to overcome the greenhouse effect is to store your fuel in a metal can.
You can also combat the effects of the moisture in the air by squeezing all the extra air from your fuel container at the end of the day or transferring your fuel into smaller containers as the level of the fuel is reduced in your gallon jug. Many pilots will invest in half-gallon or quart-size containers and only bring that amount of fuel to the field on any given day. This allows their main supply of fuel to stay at home in a controlled storage environment, virtually insuring problem-free fuel.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1250
Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: jikkuria

i forgot what concrete does to it, but i read it some where, can someone remind me?
I've heard that before too but never heard a plausable explanation on why not to store on concrete.

None of the fuel manufacturers say anything about it, at least not that I can find. Personally I think it's a myth to go along with not storing batteries on a concrete floor. It may have had some truth to it at one time but with modern materials does not apply anymore.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:45 AM
full maxx

ok well I already squeeze the air out but the wife will have to understand that this $35.00 jug of fuel will have to stay in the house and now I run O'donells ...it is a white jug not clear or opaque ...and I did know about the sunlight...thanks for the info you all
Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

Paint flowers on the thing and put it on the table
Old 03-22-2009, 07:59 AM
full maxx

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

you want me divorced or something
Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Airbus 9e

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

ORIGINAL: jikkuria

I've heard that before too but never heard a plausable explanation on why not to store on concrete.

None of the fuel manufacturers say anything about it, at least not that I can find. Personally I think it's a myth to go along with not storing batteries on a concrete floor. It may have had some truth to it at one time but with modern materials does not apply anymore.
It might be because a concrete floor tends to be cooler than the surrounding air. Maybe that temp difference contributes to the fuel soaking up moisture?....I've also read where the battery stored on a concrete floor is a bit of an urban legend...I don't put them directly on the floor more so that if they leak it does'nt ruin the concrete....
Old 03-22-2009, 11:15 AM
DaveG55

With batteries it was the old (real old) case material and it became a kind of "legend" not to store them on concrete. Heck, I know it's ok to do but still put them on a board, not directly on concrete. The only thing I could find said that it only affects large lead/acid batteries because the cold concrete can cause stratification of the electrolytes. The same stratification could go for nitro fuel I guess. I would not think that moisture absorbtion would be the issue though since I find it highly unlikely that exterior moisture could make it through any modern containers. But again, I store the stuff on a shelf. Kind of like the old Chinese people. When asked why they embraced Christianity but still kept their old Gods they replied, Of course I believe in the One God but why take the chance and anger the old ones? You know, I'm just covering all bases, since it costs nothing to store batterys or fuel off of concrete why not do it?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: full maxx

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

you want me divorced or something
YOUR nightstand then?