Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST2 Servo Upgrade Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LST2 Servo Upgrade Options

I would like to get something faster and stronger for steering on my Racer LST2, and definitely something faster for throttle/brakes. Looking for something mid-range - not top of the line. Yes, dual Hitec 5955's would be great, but that's not realistic.. I know in North America the JR650 is the upgrade servo of choice, but they don't have those here, and I'm sick of going to the Customs' office and paying extra...

Anyway, on most of my other RC's, I have Hitecs, so it would make sense to stick with Hitec. So my questions are:

1.) Does anybody run 5985's on steering? I assume this is the ideal mid-range servo from Hitec for LST2 steering duty?...

2.) Do they install without mods or extensive dremelling?

3.) What's a good mid-level Hitec servo for gas/brake? 5625?? Is it strong enough??..

4.) Will the stock servo-arms fit? If not, what do I have to do?

Thanks.

ps BTW, Here in Germany I can get 5985s for €54 apiece including shipping, and I think the 5625 for about the same. (God, that's €160 just for servos.... Maybe I should consider Tower Pros..)
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 AM
newaddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LST2 Servo Upgrade Options

The 5985's will run fine. You just have to get hitec servo savers.
Your pricing seems very high for some reason. The 5985's are about the same specs as the jr650 and I can get 650s for $49.99 CAD not USD even with our bad exchange rate and 54 euro seems a bit high but I guess if its nothing else is available, its a decent deal.

For throttle servo, I'd go with the jr590 (stock steering servo). It's got just enough torque and speed for that job. Even with this kinda power, it can break idle screws if the linkage is not aligned by even a slight bit (its happened twice to me now). Honestly, any more torque and speed and you really won't notice the difference for throttle. Save your money and buy two servos for the steering and be done with it.

You could also try ebay for new jr z650m servos. You can get them for about 30-40 in most auctions. If you're taxes are really high then its no point but if its just a bit...I'd personally go with the 650's.....no need to worry about buying new servo savers.....and they fit and work perfectly and jr's warranty is next to unbeatable. You can fry the servo yourself with absolutely no fault of the manufacturer and they'll send you a new servo...no questions asked...how do I know....I sent in three fried (literally...plastic melted) jr650's myself by accidentally giving them negative 6volts thru the receiver.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: LST2 Servo Upgrade Options

I was surfing around checking stats earlier, and I thought the 5985 was a good bit better than the JR 650.. I think the JR had more torque, but the Hitec was a good bit faster.. I mean, I think the 5985 has what, 10 kilos(so that'd be 20 for steering..), but the time @6V was .13, but the JR time was .18. That's a big difference..

Fast servos are cool. The 590 is .15.. That's not too bad, but I'd like .12 or faster.. , max .13.. I've got an expensive Ko propo on my buggy rated at like .09, and it's noticeably fast.

There is a certain sense to upgrading too, cuz I've still got my basher with 590's, and I'll need backups.. So yeah, maybe for starters 590 on throttle for the racer, and the other 590 just as a backup.. I like having backup servos on hand..

I'll double-check the stats real quick..

EDIT: OK, here's the stats:

JR:

Specifications:
Torque: 142 oz/in (@6.0V)
Speed: .17 sec/60° (@6.0V)
Dimensions (WxLxH): 1.55x0.73x1.46 in
Weight: 1.60oz
Bearing: Single
Motor Type: Cored
Gears: Metal

Hitec 5985:

* Transit time: 0.16 sec/ 60 deg. @ 4.8V, 0.13 sec/ 60 deg. @ 6.0V,
* Torque: 10.4 kg/cm (144 oz/in) @ 4.8V, 12.4 kg/cm (172 oz/in) @ 6.0V
* Weight: 62g (2.18 oz)
* Length: 39mm (1.6")
* Width: 20mm (0.78")
* Height: 38mm (1.5")

Whoa - OK, the Hitec is actually a good bit stronger too.. The Hitec is also coreless, the JR isn't. Don't really know what that means though.... [sm=confused.gif]