Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST XXL body structure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:04 PM
01s0uljah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST XXL body structure?

I'm a Savage guy and ive been looking at the XXL to play with this summer.. I just realized after looking at pics of the XXL that the body structure is built ontop of a flat body plate instead of the Twin vertical plates like my Savage. How durable is this? My previous experiences with my on road with the 1 flat body plate is that it bends and folds up if u hit a wall or soething similar..

What are your Losi experiences with this? My savage is strong as hell after running into walls at decent speeds without minimal bends and damages.

How exactly does the transmission work on the side? My savage has a square and even transmission that sits dead in the middle of the body..
Old 04-13-2009, 04:36 PM
full maxx

Default RE: LST XXL body structure?

you'll have to get one and see but trust me its tougher
Old 04-13-2009, 05:08 PM
TnRCguy

The way the chassis and bracing are setup on the Losi MT's I see no way in hell you could bend one. I'm sure it's happened, but you'd have to really be treating your truck like crap. I love to bash with my truck and I'm pretty tough on mine but I'm also mindful of what I do with it. The XXL is one tough truck, I've never had a savage but I know most(err a lot) prefer the Losi's. Just as tough as a savage, and will handle way better as well.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:21 PM
01s0uljah

I take your word for it.. Its time to let go of HPI and check out some other brands.

I currently have a Futaba 3PM FASST 2.4ghz. Should I purchase another futaba receiver and stick that in the XXL and sell the DX3S? or should I get rid of the Futaba and stick with the Spektrum?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:31 PM
TnRCguy

I would say thats up to you. I'm not real familiar with that radio but I dont think it has telemetry. The Spektrum telemetry is awesome and is extremely helpful when tuning! So, you if you want the telemetry, sale off the Futaba instead. If not sale the Spektrum, and make a few dollars back.

Personally, I would keep the spektrum!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 PM
01s0uljah

The thing with Futaba is.. it uses spread spektrum technology.. So it constantly shifts channels to prevent interference.. From what I know, the Spektrum DX3S scans the channel for noise upon transmitting and locks onto that specific channel..

I've heard that Futaba Radios are build for durability over Spektrums build quality.. FOr example, the scroll wheel.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
Old 04-13-2009, 06:14 PM
01s0uljah

ORIGINAL: TnRCguy

The way the chassis and bracing are setup on the Losi MT's I see no way in hell you could bend one. I'm sure it's happened, but you'd have to really be treating your truck like crap. I love to bash with my truck and I'm pretty tough on mine but I'm also mindful of what I do with it. The XXL is one tough truck, I've never had a savage but I know most(err a lot) prefer the Losi's. Just as tough as a savage, and will handle way better as well.

Cool. I look forward to be posting in the Losi forum for help soon!

Are there any sites where I can see full close-up pictures to see how everything it put together?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Sugafree

LST's are Faster/ Stronger /Comes with Better Radio/Engine/Drivetrain & is Easy to work on

Video in here,
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1919

Manuals and Parts Explosions,

LST XXL Monster Truck

LST XXL Guide to Getting Started (3.0 MB)
LST XXL User Manual (6.2 MB)
454 Engine Manual (330 KB)

DX3S 3 Channel DSM Surface Radio with Telemetry

DX3S Quick Start Guide
DX3S Manual
Old 04-13-2009, 06:37 PM
TnRCguy

ORIGINAL: 01s0uljah

The thing with Futaba is.. it uses spread spektrum technology.. So it constantly shifts channels to prevent interference.. From what I know, the Spektrum DX3S scans the channel for noise upon transmitting and locks onto that specific channel..

I've heard that Futaba Radios are build for durability over Spektrums build quality.. FOr example, the scroll wheel.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
I'm not sure on transmitting specifics but I will say for sure that Futaba radio's are built a lot better than the Spektrum, it's still a great radio though.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 PM
TnRCguy

ORIGINAL: TnRCguy

Cool. I look forward to be posting in the Losi forum for help soon!

Are there any sites where I can see full close-up pictures to see how everything it put together?
Look here....[link]http://hdrcvideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16323&start=180[/link]
Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 PM
dacaur

I'm a Savage guy and ive been looking at the XXL to play with this summer.. I just realized after looking at pics of the XXL that the body structure is built ontop of a flat body plate instead of the Twin vertical plates like my Savage. How durable is this? My previous experiences with my on road with the 1 flat body plate is that it bends and folds up if u hit a wall or soething similar..

What are your Losi experiences with this? My savage is strong as hell after running into walls at decent speeds without minimal bends and damages.

How exactly does the transmission work on the side? My savage has a square and even transmission that sits dead in the middle of the body..
actually, its not technically a flat plate. A truggy or buggy is a flat plate chassis. The LST xxl (and other lst's)has a main chassis plate, mounted on top of thick braced plastic side plates, with aluminum plates underneath sandwiching the plastic parts,... very stiff and very strong.... Most components are mounted to holes in the top plate in such a way that they extend below it (bot not below the lower plates)

The way the engine and tranny are mounted, the main weight of the engine is dead center on the chassis, the two speed is off to the side of the chassis for super easy access (along with the clutch bell, easy access) with the transmission mounted in the center of the chassis... truggys and other monster truck with they could have this great of weight distribution

As for the radio, I love it.... Apparently some of the DX3S's got their roller switch mounted at the wrong angle, so they can break, but if it does, spektrum will fix it at no charge, and you shouldn't have a problem after that. The telemetry is definitely my favorite feature... The best part for me is that I can see the RX voltage right from the radio... the top speed and temp are cool too.... I used to have a futaba 3PM fasst (sold it to help fund the XXL)... The build quality seems about the same to me, but the Spektrum is more comfortable to hold.. its way lighter too, due to having only 4 AA'as for power not 8, which is a big part of the reason people think the futaba has better build quality,,, its heaver so "must" be better quality..... Its great too to have all the features in a single list made up of real words, instead of having to scroll through sometimes cryptic 3 letter abbreviations....
Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 AM
MaddMatt

These things are CRAZY tough.. I once hit Bigblock454's T-maxx head-on with my aftershock and broke his Tmaxx in half... my aftershock(same design as XXL) just turned and drove away. Needless to say Bigblock454 now drives an XXL. I also had a Revo once, but it was kinda hard to work on. They are an engineering masterpiece,.. but really compacted together. The Losi trucks are easier to deal with.