Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

New to RC...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:25 PM
DrummerMoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC...

Hey Guys, Im new to rc (hence the title) but also new to this forum so I'm not 100% sure this is the right place to post, but im gunna.

Right, Ive never owned any RC products before but Im hoping to in the near future.. anyway thats not the point. I know it may be silly but I want to buy a pretty high end RC for my first althogh alot of them "aren't for beginners." Anyway I can afford pretty much any RC out there so thats not an issue. And I know my stuff by researching online.

Right. Ive been looking at the CEN GST 7.7 for my first truck, seeing as its a good price and seems to be the biggest best monster truck out there. BUT then I stumbled across the Team Losi LST xxL! and seeing as my friend's brother has the LST2 I know how damn good they are.

Im confused as to wich one you guys would recommned and Im confused as to why the GST is soo much cheaper but has basically the same things as the losi apart from the losi is only 2 speed whereas the GST is a 3 speed! but losi has a nicer radio.. :S

Can I get some good replys please () I dont want bias opinons, so dont jst say ones better than the other because you only have one of them etc etc. and could you please explain the differences etc etc. anyway Sorry about the HUGGEE post but yea you get me.. lol. Thanks Guys.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:34 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: New to RC...

The CEN has a bad reputation. The engine, for one, is notoriously bad. Parts are hard to come by.

I have two LST2's, and my first one is the best RC I've had. Losi really does do a lot of things right. You get one of the best engines around, and a good radio. And the LST2 is just notoriously good - at handling, at speed, bashing or racing, whatever you want.

The only truck I would consider as an alternative would be the Savage XL. IMHO the XXL will be better, but the XL has some things going for it as well - possibly price.. It's the only other MT I would consider though. Maybe the Thunder Tiger MTA4 S50.

Anyway, the XXL is a GREAT first RC to get. You couldn't really do better. The engine is user-friendly and powerful, and yeah, you'd be starting with a good quality radio. Most parts are swapovers from the LST2, so parts are easy to find. People here can help you out with the details too..(the main one being, just threadlock all metal-to-metal screws on the truck..)

ps Yes, I suppose I am biased to an extent. My LST2 has been GREAT - what can I say? But I really do try to be objective. I have no RC contacts or friends really, so I depend heavily on forums. I ask and read and think about what to get a lot when I buy something, so I know what it's like to be looking for good honest advice. And I think, in recommending the XXL, that's what I'm giving.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:38 PM
DrummerMoff

Thanks for the great reply ! Wasn't expecting one like that so fast! Ive taken your points into consideration Now just get those replys in people!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:48 PM
full maxx

ok not a bias opinion here as I own both and it is by far without question that the lst2 is a WAAAAAY better truck than the gst ...I have a genesis le which is the exact same as the gst and every time I ran it something else would break and cen is not the best customer support in the world ... the lst2 is the better of the two by far without a doubt I have about 11 gallons on the lst2 and about a gallon and a half on the genesis . The genesis cost about 650.00 when I bought it and I have spent about a thoucand on it since then ...I got the lst2 off ebay for 500.00 and have spent maybe two hundred on it which includes a new engine because the original just wore out ...the genesis weak point is the entire drive train from the engine to the tires ...the lst2 weak points are the engine brace and the front spindles ...about 30.00 bucks, the lst2 is also a dream to work on and the genesis is a nightmare...the gst is cheaper because they do not sell very well and they had to drop the price to move them the losi trucks always stay the same price because they are worth it also the genesis needs a three speed tranny to get up to 40 because the engine omly turns about 23,500 rpm and the losi engine turns about 35.000 rpm. So take it from me and save your self a lot of trouble and get a good truck to start with the genesis has been sitting on the shelf since I got the lst2 for a good reason ... the gst weighs about 17-18 pounds and the losi weighs about 12-13 there is a ton of aftermarket parts for losi and the only place to get genesis parts is from California
Old 04-18-2009, 01:57 PM
DrummerMoff

kk, I was half expecting these answers but I needed re-assurance. lol .. Anymore replys people?? . Im kinda swaying to the xxl now...
Old 04-18-2009, 02:05 PM
ARDV8

Go with either a LST2 or XXL. Parts are available in the UK no problem.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:13 PM
phast46

again, cens motor is garbage and the truck is hard to find spare parts for in hobbyshops. you are 2849 8984 million times better off to get the lst2 xxl
Old 04-18-2009, 02:48 PM
TnRCguy

Another vote for the XXL, I've got one and love it...
Old 04-18-2009, 03:09 PM
DrummerMoff

Wow thanks guys! Can anybody tell about their engines? I thought surely a 7.7 beats what ever the losi xxl has?? I mean CEN claim to have the "biggest engine" obvisly apart from team associated 8.0 but they suck so yea. But does the losi have a better engine than the Cen??
Old 04-18-2009, 03:58 PM
full maxx

again ...way better , easier to tune easier to break-in comes with the spin start , cen says not to use the spin start until it has at least a gallon oh yeah I almost forgot the start shaft in the genesis would wear out where it catches the pin in the crank about every two or three tanks so you have to wait a week to get one on order then remove the engine from the truck , tack the pull start off and hope the spring don't pop out then remove the back plate , replace the start shaft and the little pin that goes in the crank shaft and then put it all back together every three tanks ...I never took the losi motor off or apart until about 6-7 gallons and that was to seal the engine to take care of any possible air leaks and this is first hand experience
Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well what would you expect by posting in a Losi forum. . . . lol. Losi Aftershock, LST2 or the XXL. I own the XXL and it's good all around. Fun to break-in, big truck, big motor with big power. Awesome 1/8th scale Monster Truck. 1ST class radio. I love the telemetry. And a built in fail-safe to boot! Good luck. Here's a sneek-peek of what you'd have to run in yer yard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFpmd4IbOQ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91010.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1182933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35710.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1182934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12802.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1182935  
Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: DrummerMoff

Wow thanks guys! Can anybody tell about their engines? I thought surely a 7.7 beats what ever the losi xxl has?? I mean CEN claim to have the "biggest engine" obvisly apart from team associated 8.0 but they suck so yea. But does the losi have a better engine than the Cen??

One of the first lessons of RC: size doesn't matter when it comes to power, and don't believe manufacturer's claims.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:13 AM
full maxx

bigger is NOT better in this case...I have no one to bash with and a few people have offered to but if I get the genesis going again it means I will be working on it because something else will break it is not as fast taking off or on top end and it jumps like a brick ...
Old 04-19-2009, 08:19 AM
full maxx

here are four of my videos http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=M2U00021.flv http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...rent=truck.flv http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=M2U00022.flv http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=MOV03069.flv the last one is where I broke the last plastic spindle ...since getting aluminum is has not happened again
Old 04-19-2009, 03:36 PM
DrummerMoff

ORIGINAL: bigblock454XXL

Well what would you expect by posting in a Losi forum. . . . lol. Losi Aftershock, LST2 or the XXL. I own the XXL and it's good all around. Fun to break-in, big truck, big motor with big power. Awesome 1/8th scale Monster Truck. 1ST class radio. I love the telemetry. And a built in fail-safe to boot! Good luck. Here's a sneek-peek of what you'd have to run in yer yard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFpmd4IbOQ
lol thanks for the pics n vid, I'm new to the forum infact this is my first thread, so yea maybe I posted in the wrong place! lol, but thanks again; I never new there was a built in failsafe!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:42 PM
DrummerMoff

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: DrummerMoff

One of the first lessons of RC: size doesn't matter when it comes to power, and don't believe manufacturer's claims.
Okay thanks! I never new that .
Old 06-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Jarrett123

I dont know where he got that the mgt sucks, but i have heard that they are great and have tons of low end power. Which is where the fun is at. So you might take a look into that.The XXl seems to have a lot of problems IMO. Some are even missing parts. Was going to buy one then didn't. Look at "just recieved my xxl"  then you'll know what to expect. Iknow the LST2's were a tank, but the XXL seem to be lacking.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 PM
HerrSavage

I think that thread is misleading.  There are like 2-3 guys with a suspicious amount of problems..  But if you read between the lines a bit, I think it's clear they would have had problems with ANY RC...  Part of was about expectations..   Just because you pay $700 for an RC doesn't mean it'll cook you breakfast, or survive a 40mph crash into  a wall...
Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
destrega

Personally i always thought the gst was a pretty cool truck until i heard about CEN's Better Business Bureau reputation. http://www.la.bbb.org/businessreport...anyid=13214093
I can honestly say that unless you have a solid LHS that stocks CEN parts i wouldn't buy the CEN truck.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Airbus 9e

Around here the CENs, Exeeds, and Himotos are called "internet trucks" because that's the only place you can get parts....