Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Come on. . Another XXL Mishap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:12 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Come on. . Another XXL Mishap!!!

Why is it that this crap only happens to me. It seems everytime I fire this thing up I have something go wrong. This time I was a tank into my bashing day at an old airport when my XXL seemed to get louder and louder within about 15 seconds it was screaming like it had no header pipe. So I pull it up close and what do I see? My Gosh I couldn't believe my eyes. Now what do I do? I've been told I'm hard on my truck and beat the living piss out of it, I'm not experienced enough and that I just run my truck and don't maintain it. But is this what's to be expected from a Losi Monster Truck that's 2 months old with a gallon and a half of Nitro through it? I'm seriously thinking about giving up on Losi. The worst part is that all my hard earned $$$ is gone and I will lose big time when I go to sell it. MaddMatt has a Losi Aftershock and has not had very many problems. Not even a third to what I have gone through.
This is the last thing I expected when I was considering buying a $715 Nitro Monster Truck. I'd call Horizon but this would be the 4Th call about a problem that will be considered wear-n-tear.
Think I'm going back to Traxxas.
What should I do?. . . .I will accept any and all comments. Weather you think I'm tainting Losi's trouble free R/C vehicles or I'm just a bad-luck-guy with a MT that was made on a Friday with left over parts. I'm up-in-arms oveer this and If my head wasn't shaved I'd be pulling my hair out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48571.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1199127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60755.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1199128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci97959.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1199129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62978.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1199130  
Old 05-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Sugafree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Come on. . Another XXL Mishap!!!

Pretty commen for the Headers to Crack..........(Most put a Spring on as aflexible pipe hanger) http://hdrcvideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11957

http://hdrcvideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7881

http://hdrcvideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5280

Old 05-15-2009, 11:18 PM
nitrojimbo

Well it looks like your truck came out of a bad batch of trucks.  It's not enough to give up on Losi.  I mean !@#$ happens you know?
Old 05-16-2009, 12:59 AM
imprtkid04

Not sure if the header is much different from the stock header, but being i just got my tuned pipe i have a stock header and pipe laying around. If you need it let me know and ill ship it to ya.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:33 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard of people busting headers, but personally have been lucky Iguess...  I do always have an extra on hand though..  I really do kindof wonder if the reason I haven't had some of these issues over theyears  is simply because I run the New Era roll-bar..  Chassis rails,tank, header, etc.. - all still original on my LST2....  Even diffs,tranny, and so on..  I wonder if the roll-bar adds needed overallstability to the chassis, and thus protects everything on it..  Sort ofseems that way..
Old 05-16-2009, 06:02 AM
bigblock454XXL

Thanks everyone. After seeing the links I guess I jumped to judge again. Never knew there was a possibility of the header craking like that. We'll see what happens. I might have access to another header pipe. Hopefully in the next couple days I'll have something figured out. Might even try to make my own pipe hanger.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:32 AM
full maxx

well it happen to me ...my exhaust hanger busted , the pipe drug the ground and got twisted under the truck all that broke was the header so I made a double hanger like 6 gallons ago and no more problen
Old 05-16-2009, 12:20 PM
bigblock454XXL

Well I sent my radio to Horizon on the April 20TH, They received it April 22ND and I just received it, (fixed), by FedEx today. Seems by looking at it they reused my scroll button that I fixed so I'm guessing they fixed the circut board for the scroll button mechanism or they replaced it. Either way It's back home and I'm very happy. Now I can get back to monitoring my telemetry settings and get ready for the racing season at OakHill Speedway inWaterford Pa.

Hope Ya'll have a safe and fun summer of 2009.

Another bad day of bashing yesterday. I was about a tank into the day, about 15 minutes, and this happened.

The S**t Fairy loves me.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:39 PM
KRO

Did the pipe hanger break allowing the header too snap like that ? Something was allowing it to move around too crack apart like that .

I made a pipe hanger from 12 gauge wire that has been holding for a long time , I want too do that mod that Sugafree posted though .

It still is the baddest nitro MT on the market IMO.

I bought my LST2 used , seller said about a gallon was through the motor , I put another 7 through it before the con rod broke , never had a problem with the drive line or suspension , cracked 1 a arm in the time I have had it (though the knuckles , c hubs  , steering links are all aftermarket) . The only gripe I have is the low speed OWB will slip if you dont clean and re oil it after every few runs .

Cant be said of my other R/C's . Keep the faith , once you get the bugs worked out you will begin too love it .
Old 05-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Airbus 9e

I have the HD center skid on my Aftershock....if the pipe did come loose, the plate would keep my truck from running it over, but you'd think those 3 little springs that hold the pipe to the header would break first?....
Old 05-17-2009, 10:40 AM
full maxx

no no those three springs are really on there two of mine stretched to about three inches before letting go but it ripped the header wide open...I want that center skid
Old 05-17-2009, 05:49 PM
NitroCable

A cracked pipe would the least of my worries compared to the problems I had with Traxxas nitro's. I would rather buy an HPI nitro before I buy an other nitro from Traxxas. Their electric trucks are among the best I have ever seen but I don't have too much faith in their nitro's. As far as bad luck gos try not to get to upset I had more than my share of bad luck too.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 PM
dacaur

wow, sounds like you got a lemon.... i havent had a single broken part  on mine other than a broken spin/pull start, but that was due to trying to break it in in 40 degree temps.... crazy....
Old 05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
bigblock454XXL

Well it seems I was able to make a new bracket for my Tuned Pipe. I got this idea from a couple links that I viewed in this thread. I was able to borrow a couple parts from MaddMatt and was able to run a couple tanks since then. Everything seems to be in order now. Here's a couple pictures. I'm sure learning alot from this truck and can't wait to bash again.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24424.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1201137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26396.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1201138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59574.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1201139  
Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What in the h.ell pipe is that??
Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 PM
bigblock454XXL

Stock pipe from a Losi Aftershock with a MACH26 Engine.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:39 PM
full maxx

you need to get the ht pipe back as you will notice a power loss with that one
Old 05-18-2009, 05:12 PM
bigblock454XXL

Loss of power is what i need. Won't be destroying my drivetrain.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:11 PM
W.O.T.

WOW! (trying uber hard not to flame ....lol ) Dude, lst has one of the best if not the best drive trainsavailable. People are hooking them up 6 and 7 cell packs (convert to electric ), doing 70+!! You arent going to hurt any thing with the TUNED pipe.

piece of advice go to lstforums.com , become a member. learn. BASH