Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

LST2 bent Chassis. Which Rails to use?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:23 PM
chukmoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST2 bent Chassis. Which Rails to use?

Just traded a boat for a LST2 with a bent chassis. I have another chassis plate but I don't have the side rails. my question is should I use the plastic rails or should I upgrade to alloy rails? Do the alloy rails create to much rigity? Will plastic just break again?.......... All input is good input.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LST2 bent Chassis. Which Rails to use?

That question leads to another question. And thatis, it depends on how it was bent.
If you are tight on money just buy the stock ones but if money isn't an issue I'd say go ahead. It'll look great and be more sturdy. I personally don't know because I've never had a need for aluminum upgrades, except for Skid Plates. I do know that you need to stay away from anything made by Integy. RDLogics is good along with Dynamite. There may be a few more Brands thatare good and I would hopethat people will post in here about them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54740.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	1207782  
Old 05-28-2009, 03:47 PM
full maxx

are the plastic rails bent or is it an alloy plate if the rails are bent just go back with stock ...never heard of a chassis rail breaking and if you choose alloy side rails and they bend you will never get them back perfectly straight ...some alloy will break when trying to straighten
Old 05-28-2009, 05:04 PM
chukmoto

the chassis bent about a third way from the front, broke both frame rails and bent the chassis plate like a bannana. it came with everything to fix it but I wasn't sure if this is a common thing for the chassis to bend and needs the heavy aftermarket rails? or will it be good with the Losi rails? the kid told me he hit a concrete pilier head on.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:21 PM
ARDV8

The stock rails are fine. You would be better to invest in hardened bottom plates.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:45 PM
full maxx

ORIGINAL: chukmoto

the kid told me he hit a concrete pilier head on.
more like dropped from a helicopter at 12,000 feet or run over by a car ...yeah he had to be at ful speed going down hill with a 60mph back wind naaa just kidding but the chances of that happening again are a thousand to one ...google lst videos and see what people do to their trucks

Old 05-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Airbus 9e

ORIGINAL: ARDV8

The stock rails are fine. You would be better to invest in hardened bottom plates.
Ditto......I have the HD skid plates front and center, and the High Performance rear plate on the rear....(I ordered the wrong plate......oops...hehe)

Old 05-29-2009, 01:49 PM
chukmoto

it came with a Dynamite chassis kit and bumper set. Which shocks are better, the Threaded shocks or the aluminum Non- Threaded? Seems the Non-Threaded are a bit heavier then the Threaded...... Threaded also seems more logical for fast even adjustments to all four corners independently. Is there anyway to weigh RC cars like a race car, front to back % and cross weight %?
Old 05-31-2009, 07:36 AM
bjhe333

never broke a stock rail.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:10 AM
full maxx

never bent a rail that I an aware of
Old 05-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Airbus 9e

it came with a Dynamite chassis kit and bumper set. Which shocks are better, the Threaded shocks or the aluminum Non- Threaded? Seems the Non-Threaded are a bit heavier then the Threaded...... Threaded also seems more logical for fast even adjustments to all four corners independently. Is there anyway to weigh RC cars like a race car, front to back % and cross weight %?
I scale my dirt car with 4 postal scales....don't see why it could'nt be done with an MT....my only question is why....unless you race, that kinda of precision is'nt really necessary..

I'd go with the threaded bodies.....My truck has the plastic ones and they've been pretty tough. If I start having problems I'll go with the hard anodized threaded bodies....I think a full set is about $45....

Old 05-31-2009, 01:57 PM
chukmoto

Balance is why. If we weigh all four corners independently we use that as a reference point to document and adjust accordingly. Taking some guess work out of set-up. Shock springs are sometimes not the same rates in which scaling the car or truck helps to get a balance by adding more or less spring preload to all 4 corners independently. In most cases we end up with which looks like our shocks preload adjusters are a different places on the shock but, our balance is correct!......... Also, is there a tool to check our small RC spring rates with as we do on our full size Chevy's??
Old 06-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Airbus 9e

Balance is why. If we weigh all four corners independently we use that as a reference point to document and adjust accordingly. Taking some guess work out of set-up. Shock springs are sometimes not the same rates in which scaling the car or truck helps to get a balance by adding more or less spring preload to all 4 corners independently. In most cases we end up with which looks like our shocks preload adjusters are a different places on the shock but, our balance is correct!......... Also, is there a tool to check our small RC spring rates with as we do on our full size Chevy's??
My thinking was that even if each spring is a bit different, which I would imagine is the case, a scale just seems like effort for little gain....If you get each collar set equal to it's counter part on the other side, that should be close enough as a baseline....My setup rule has always been Keep It Simple Stupid....hehe

I've wondered about such a tool for measuring springs, but have only ever found tools that measured spring length....

Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Sugafree

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5530

Old 06-01-2009, 03:57 PM
chukmoto

Thanx sugafree, looks like the proper tool for the job and user friendly to my BillFold. It'll definitely be the next addition to my ToolBox.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Airbus 9e

I've seen that tool around, but I thought it was just for setting shocks to equal lengths, not for checking a springs rate?....
Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 PM
W.O.T.

Stay w/ stock rails.

You WILL bend those alloy ones. Imange locktite on all that  ALLOY = broken hex heads+ scew heads ,makes it harder to do mods like 3mm or 4mm metric mod..etc. (changing all those tiny 4-40 chassis screws to either 3mm or 4mm screws... huge improvement in many ways)

shocks go alluiumn,  caps does not matter as much.  tini shafts. Rcravens dual rate springs (save your cash on that tool) , you'll never go back.
35 40 k weight all the way around.

later