Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Losi Aftershock, tell me what to upgrade!

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Losi Aftershock, tell me what to upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:53 PM
thepope43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi Aftershock, tell me what to upgrade!

Alright, I just got into the RC hobby about two weeks ago now. Ibought a used t-maxx 3.3 and enough parts to almost build 2 more!Iended up trading in the 3.3 engine and two more 2.5 engines(they were all junk) and buying a Losi Aftershock brand new for 300$ Which came with the truck(of course), very nice radio system, starter, rechargable glow igniter, and I got a FREE, yes FREERB Innovations Supercharger!It was brand new, and in the package!I'm one of those "go big or go home"kind of guys(even though im only 18) .

Anyways, here's what I'm here for. Iwant to turn this truck into a badass monster, and Iwant to know what parts I'm going to need to upgrade and what I'm going to need to upgrade them to. Iwant this to be an absolute beast, but no twin engine setups. Please give me your inputs please!

One thing I am concerned about that I'd like most of all, is I noticed when turning in the grass the servos just aren't very powerful and I want to know if there is something better!(yes, my batteries are full charged)

Anything else you would like to know, just ask and please let me know what I can start upgrading!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:26 AM
jikkuria

Default RE: Losi Aftershock, tell me what to upgrade!

first of all, DON'T USE THE SUPERCHARGER! it sounds nice, but is short, because of the port placement on our nitro motors, any and all excess pressure build is sent out the exhaust, carrying fuel with it. all it does is make your motor work harder, and lean it out. in short it kills your motor. you can run it, but it does nothing but make it hard to tune. you made a nice choice with the aftershock, strong and fast. i'd get the dynamite engine brace, and some rpm arms. the losi HT pipe would be nice. for mt's a servo with 200 oz of torque is recommended.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:30 AM
thepope43

Jikkuria, do you have aim or msn?If so I'd like to talk to you on there:

AIM:xpope43x
msn: [email protected]
Old 07-11-2009, 12:58 AM
imprtkid04

I picked up an aftershock a few months ago, first things first get that HT pipe from losi. Makes it into a different truck! Another big issue i had was with the breaks, they wernt good enough at all. A very simple fix for this is buy the lst brake/throttle linkage, again makes a huge difference.

Edit- Also check out this page if you havnt already. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7728774/tm.htm
Old 07-11-2009, 01:13 AM
thepope43

Currently I have absolutely no skid plates, should I be getting those immediately? Also, is a roll cage worth it at all?
Old 07-11-2009, 03:07 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The New Era roll-bar is an AWESOME upgrade if you plan on jumping a lot..

This would be my list:

Immediately:

1.) Dynamite engine brace
2.) HT pipe..
3.) RC Raven dual-rate shock springs
4.) New Era roll-bar(if you plan to jump a lot..)

Maybe later:

1.) RPM a-arms with Lunsford links
Old 07-11-2009, 05:08 AM
full maxx

^^^ditto^^^, in that order... the super charger is a joke they do nothing on 2 stroke engines
Old 07-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Airbus 9e

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The New Era roll-bar is an AWESOME upgrade if you plan on jumping a lot..

This would be my list:

Immediately:

1.) Dynamite engine brace
2.) HT pipe..
3.) RC Raven dual-rate shock springs
4.) New Era roll-bar(if you plan to jump a lot..)

Maybe later:

1.) RPM a-arms with Lunsford links
I added the RPMs w/ titanium links after I broke the right side stock arms bouncing off my brother inlaw's Savage, otherwise that is my exact list of upgrades.....minus the roll bar....

I'd add the Losi HD center skid....it protects the pipe and spur gears from the underside....

I've thought about upgrading my steering servos, but the stockers work reasonably well, and have'nt died yet...The throttle/brake servo died because of the way the stock linkage is set up.....the LST2 linkage is a great upgrade for $6...

I also added Losi 20mm hubs and LST2 wheels with Big Joes....they handle a ton better than the stock AS tires...

The LST2 2 speed setup is a good upgrade too....Aluminum hubs are less likely to melt compare to plastic...

I added the wing kit just because it looks cool....

Losi trucks are pretty durable performers out of the box....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39776.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1233780  
Old 07-11-2009, 09:34 AM
thepope43

But as far as the engine itself, is there anything I should really be looking for for the most power?
Old 07-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Steve.

The Mach .26 engine is a good mill for an RTR, ditto on not using the supercharger they're a waste. Sell the supercharger on eBay and buy a good pair of steering servos. Also if you are using a 4 AA battery holder for the truck get rid of it and put a good 5 cell rechargeable pack in, you'll have 6.0 volts going to the servos instead of 4.8 which will help steering. That would actually be my first upgrade, it's the first thing I did to my Aftershock. My 'Shock is mostly stock and it's been great so far, it's a tough truck.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I should've mentioned too - I also am a believer in the heavy duty front skid - cuz it protects the servos... I now have one on both my LST2's.. - after smashing a servo up landing the last jump on this vid..:

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...nterJumpin.flv
Old 07-11-2009, 10:50 AM
thepope43

I already have a rechargeable batter on the truck, and I am getting a front center and back skid set for 49$. I want a bigger engine though, i want the biggest engine actually! I want this thing to be a monster!

I own quite a bit of video game console hardware which I am now selling on another forum to get money for parts for my truck. I also have a t-maxx 2.5 body, has everything but the engine so i was planning on getting a 3.3 to put on it also so I can have a truck to beat up and not worry about my good one, the Aftershock. Keep the inputs coming guys! I've already bought the HT pipe and I'm going to buy the others very shortly. As for the supercharger, I already broke the bracket that mounts it to the block when i landed up side down. I'm going to have the bracket welded and fixed and then I'll sell the turbo for like 50 bucks or something to someone else who wants to blow their engine up.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:10 AM
full maxx

the best engine or most popular engine is the lrp .28 spec 3 or the xxl 454 they are the same internally, but get the ht pipe from ebay and you will be happy with it as is
Old 07-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Sugafree

ORIGINAL: thepope43

I want a bigger engine though, i want the biggest engine actually! I want this thing to be a monster!

Bigger Isn't always better..... Especially when it comes to RC Engines ......With the HT Pipe the Mach will Walk all over most other RTR MT's....
Old 07-11-2009, 03:33 PM
thepope43

The HT pipe really makes that big of a difference? I am going to get the supercharger off asap so hopefully its not too difficult beacuse i didnt put it on, they did. DOesn't look too bad though I'm sure I can sell it for like 50bucks just to get it out of my hair.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Sugafree

Yea the Stock Aftershock Pipe Sucks!!!

HT Pipe will made a BIG Difference.......But in General the Bigger Displacement a RC Engine means More Tork and Less Rev's/Top End......(The Mach.26 will Kill most .30 /.32 Engines on the Top end)
Old 07-11-2009, 05:12 PM
thepope43

So these trucks you see pulling cars, what do they ahve in them?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Airbus 9e

I just know my M26SS w/HT pipe powered Aftershock is faster than my Brother Inlaw's Savage X 4.6.....though he can do better wheelies than I can.....hehe
Old 07-12-2009, 01:34 PM
thepope43

Well I ordered my HT pipe, and im gonna order the others in about a week. But I'd still like some more information guys so keep it coming!
Old 07-12-2009, 04:54 PM
thepope43

Is this any good?

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=2591
Old 07-12-2009, 05:02 PM
full maxx

yeah but kinda heavy get the new era roll bar instead...half the price http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=2353
Old 07-12-2009, 05:07 PM
full maxx

sorry not the one I was thinking was heavy but get the rollbar anyway better access and no trimming the body
Old 07-12-2009, 07:03 PM
thepope43

But will the new era roll bar protect as much as the roll bar i posted?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Airbus 9e

It'll protect enough....shock towers are cheep....engines aren't....My brother inlaw knows that first hand now...
Old 07-13-2009, 04:03 PM
thepope43

Well, my engine's piston locked up last night for whatever reason I couldn't tell you. I was just driving it straight and normal and next thing ya know BAM! Locked up. Now I put the block in a vise and used a wrench to turn it and i got it unlocked but now I'm not so sure i trust this engine anymore. I think I'd like to just buy a new engine for my Aftershock. I still have have theHTtuned pipe on the way though, is there any engine that will out perform the .26

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.