Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Did a number on my aftershock tonight!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 PM
dudecat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did a number on my aftershock tonight!!

Yep damn battery went dead in reciever and bam took off across the road and hit something solid and broke the control arms on the right side. So now i need a new airfilter/control arms/servo. Yep it is done till spring when i can get some money saved up and able to buy the parts to it says the boss. Will post pics soon.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 PM
dudecat

Default RE: Did a number on my aftershock tonight!!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 PM
600rwhp

I did the same to mine,but I also broke the motor mount,bent the main chassis plate,and both frame rails,lol.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:33 PM
dudecat

Yeah i am going to try and super glue it back together and see what happens. Super glue is extremely tuff and very hard to break when you let it set overnight.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:36 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

I don't think super glue will work; Cyanoacrylate adhesives have very little shear strength. You would probably have better luck with an epoxy resin that has a lot of plasticizers added to increase the fracture toughness. PC Super Epoxy comes to mind. Reinforce the area with several plastic strips, and it might hold.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:53 PM
dudecat

Well i got it to hold with some metal brackets but striped the low gear again. So this truck is now going to set idle for awhile till i get some money and fix it right again. Now i am looking at around $100 to fix it up right. Grrrr.....
Old 02-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get one of these (or one of the many equivalents):

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJDF8&P=ML

Old 02-12-2010, 10:04 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: Argess

Get one of these (or one of the many equivalents):

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJDF8&P=ML
Or better yet, one of these:

Built in failsafe, and no channel conflicts.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:30 PM
dudecat

Ok guys where do i get one of these:

It is suppost to have the little balls in it and as you can see they are gone. This is why my spurs gears got stripped. So any idea's where to get it or atleast a losi part number for it?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:42 PM
dudecat

Okay two different stores with same part number. One has this plastic bearing and other doesn't. Why is that?
http://myatomic.com/catalog/viewsku?...455&q=losb3455 - doesn't show it
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ust-BearingLST - shows it
Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

i cant help you with your bearing but i just want to say something on the fail safe people told you to buy.( <- they are right but just wanna clarify something for you)

i run a failsafe and i recommend it to you but they wont prevent a crash like the one you had, the will aply brakes or go in neutral if your Transmitter loose signal or if batteries die.

when your Receiver batteries get to low or unplug like what happened to you, only a trottle return spring will pull your carb into neutral position, and only if its strong enough to pull back the servo arm.

i also run a trottle return spring with a traxxas waterproof servo.

that way if i turn off my Tx the truck apply brakes, and if i ask someone to hold the trottle wide open(engine off) and unplug my Rx the TRS bring my carb to idle.

never had a runaway since i run these.

i hope this helps...

Impala
Old 02-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Argess

ORIGINAL: impalapolicepack

when your Receiver batteries get to low or unplug like what happened to you, only a trottle return spring will pull your carb into neutral position, and only if its strong enough to pull back the servo arm.
We don't know what exactly happened to him, but when Rx batteries go low, the failsafe kicks in and there's still enough power left to bring the throttle servo back to neutral (or with brakes).

How it might come unplugged, except due to an accident, I don't know. I can't see an accident that bad where the vehicle is still on 4 wheels and manages to run away.

But "yes". a throttle return spring is a good idea, however to have enough power to bring the servo back, the spring fights the servo all the time. This results in decreased run time with respect to your Rx batteries. So.....get the Failsafe anyway, wether you use a return spring or not.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

in all respect to you , my ofna micro failsafes wont work if my Rx batt get too low, when i loose a lot of steering force i stop running so maybe it never when low enough to activate.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 AM
dapro

make sure you didn't bend the cvd.

Also what is that blue box on the front?
Old 02-13-2010, 03:58 AM
dudecat

blue box is battery holder lol... i will defently look into the fail safe.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Argess

ORIGINAL: impalapolicepack

in all respect to you , my ofna micro failsafes wont work if my Rx batt get too low, when i loose a lot of steering force i stop running so maybe it never when low enough to activate.
That's interesting. I count on mine to work when the batteries go low all the time, and it does. Perhaps you have the voltage set wrong, or using different batteries?

Although, sort of opposite your trouble, here's a copy-and-paste from a post I did a long time ago which shows the choice of batteries can affect the fail-safe:

"Added a Futaba FSU2 to the throttle servo. I think it is identical to the OFNA unit, just a different name-brand. Unit works as advertised for returning the throttle in the event of loss of transmitter signal, but there was a problem with the low battery detection circuit. I didn't know these units wern't designed for alkaline receiver batteries, but were designed to operate with nicads at either 6 volts or 4.8 volts. Well......following the instructions set the unit up for 6 volts with my Duracells I had the trouble they describe......voltage drop from alkalines triggered the threshold at 5 volts and the throttle servo returned to idle. (Interestingly, it did not come back in 1 second like it says in the manual, but stayed there until I turned the reciever off and then back on). Too much servo load caused this voltage drop with new batteries. So after a few voltage checks, it appeared that the voltage bottomed about 4.4 volts under full servo load. So, I decided to set the Fail-Safe up for the 4.8 volt setting. This unit automatically detects the voltage when you turn on the receiver while holding the "SET" button on the fail-safe. So, I took out one of the AAs and shorted the void with a jumper wire. This temporarily gave me 4.5 volts and the Fail-Safe responded thinking I had a 4.8 volt nicad pack. Then I put the AA back in and everyting is fine. The fail-safe shouldn't shut anything down now until the batteries are truly on their last legs."

Since then, I switched to 4 cell NiMh AAs and left the FailSafe in the 4.8 Volt mode. It still works aas it should, returning the throttle to idle when the batteries beme low.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:19 AM
NORCALLUMP

EBAY those parts!!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 PM
dudecat

Well ordered the parts with the failsafe. Cost just over $100 and should be here this coming week. Taking to a hobby shop that i know and they will tune the truck in properly and make sure the clutches are set right. So the beast will be up and running again.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Chenglei