Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Temp gun

Old 04-03-2010, 01:23 PM
glk420247

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Temp gun

My temp gun is about 10 degrees off. It is piing me off. Any suggestions on a good temp gun? I kinda like mastercool or raytek form sears.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:11 PM
ahawk65

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Temp gun

I use a temp gun made by Stanley, but there are quite a few out there. http://www.tempgun.com/order.html#pe1 has a couple that I have heard good things about. I have owned a Duratrax FlashPoint temp gun and I would highly recommend you don't get it. It stopped working on me about a week after I got it.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:34 PM
CR500rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if its 10 degrees off and you know its 10 degrees off then just keep using it and compensate with simple math Besides there is no 2 temp guns that are really going to read the same anyway. And IT DOES matter where you point the gun, different surfaces will read differently even if they are the same temperateure. ie: shiny metal will read different that dull metal, painted metal will read differently than unpainted, rough metal will read different than smooth metal etc. And im sure you have heard this before but dont tune engines by temp, tune by smoke and perforamnce. Use the temp gun as a guide only.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 PM
glk420247

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes I do tune by performance and smoke. I also was going to use the 10 degrees math. I just like to have a gun to be on the safe side do to all the jumping and racing I do at our club track. I put a good size crack in my exhaust pipe and didn't notice it until the damn thing puked on me. Temps went sky high and my temp gun was reading all kinds of degrees. I really didn't notice anything wrong with the truck as far as smoke or performance just kept on racing. I just notice the temp gun was off a little when I put it over some boiling water it was at least 10 degrees off (water boils at 212 degrees). Anyway thanks for the reply.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:20 AM
CR500rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: glk420247

Yes I do tune by performance and smoke. I also was going to use the 10 degrees math. I just like to have a gun to be on the safe side do to all the jumping and racing I do at our club track. I put a good size crack in my exhaust pipe and didn't notice it until the damn thing puked on me. Temps went sky high and my temp gun was reading all kinds of degrees. I really didn't notice anything wrong with the truck as far as smoke or performance just kept on racing. I just notice the temp gun was off a little when I put it over some boiling water it was at least 10 degrees off (water boils at 212 degrees). Anyway thanks for the reply.
water boils at 212 at sea level. cant remember if it boils sooner or later the higher you go in elevation. Also pointing at water might not give you an accurate reading, you might actually be reading the bottom of the pan and not the water (temp guns are strange like that) Try measuring something with a friends temp gun and see what his says, or maybe even go to your LHS and see if he will test yours next to a brand new one.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:21 PM
animalnut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

does your temp gun have a setting for emissivity for sand blasted aluminum it's around 21E and for anodized it's around 77E so there's a world of difference in adj. just to compensate for anodizing, try messing with the settings a little to see if you can get it closer to right I used a probe temp gauge on the engine then adjusted the IR temp gun to be within 2/10th's of a degree but only out of the sun in no wind conditions, those things cause IR temp guns to read off by more then a few degrees.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 AM
etopsflight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

water will boil at a lower temp at a higher altitude. less air pressure, means the air molecules can be excited/heated easier hence........
Old 04-15-2010, 03:16 PM
thef@st1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have that blue duratrax one and have had no probloms with it for about 5 years.

Search this Thread