Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

aftermarket tuned pipes for losi 454

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:32 PM
ntrain42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: aftermarket tuned pipes for losi 454

ORIGINAL: FloridaSnookHunter

the LRP 28makes peak power at 27,000 rpm (1.86) that is a screamer

if you dont want to take advatage of all that top end power thats fine, and the stock pipe(HT)is far from a 053
Pretty much all decent performance engines make their peak power past 20-25k. That really doesn't tell the big picture. The power curve is what matters, not peak hp #'s. Regardless, the Losi HT pipe(which is basically a rebadged 053 midrangepipe, [and you can call Team Losi for verification on that as well, or swap between an 053 and a Losi HT pipe and you will find the performance is 100% identical])gives the engine its best powerband across the largest rpm range and has plenty of top end as well.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:37 PM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I've never heard the Losi HT pipe is an 053... The Mach is great with the stock pipe, and all bottom/no top with an 053 - in my tests anyway...
The 454 is not a Mach engine. The .28 454 and Mach .26 are 2 different animals.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 PM
FloridaSnookHunter

ntrain

have you ever ran a 086on your 454?Its a killer setup.If you watch myvideo on the comparison of the two they are identical in diameter the losiHT has a longer first chamber making it longer.Most midrange pipes are long and skinny, cone lenghts and diameter are what makes a tuned pipehelp with different power ranges. If anything I would call the losiHT pipealonger086. this is based on what I have seen comparing the two side by side.

long skinny- midrange
short fat- highrange

Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 PM
ntrain42

ntrain

have you ever ran a 086on your 454?Its a killer setup.If you watch myvideo on the comparison of the two they are identical in diameter the losiHT has a longer first chamber making it longer.Most midrange pipes are long and skinny, cone lenghts and diameter are what makes a tuned pipehelp with different power ranges. If anything I would call the losiHT pipealonger086. this is based on what I have seen comparing the two side by side.

long skinny- midrange
short fat- highrange

In general, a longer pipe bellywith a more gradual divergence/convergence conewill equate to more low end torque and a much borader powerband. A shorterpipe belly witha much steeperdivergence/convergence conewill equate to a better high rpm tune with a much narrower powerband. If youtake an OFNA 053, youwill find 2 things. A. Its basically the same length belly and uses the samedivergence/convergence cone angleas the Losi HT pipe, andB. If you cutboth the Losi HT andOFNA 053 apart youwill find that they are identical inside(which is what matters).

As for pipes, I own an 007,053 and 086 pipe(Dynamtehard anodized versions). I am more than familiar with how they perform on the 454 and directly to the stock spec. Losi tuned HT pipe. I myself use the 086 pipe with myLRP .30x on my regeared race XXL which sees alot of WOT.But for my backyard bashing XXL with stock gearingwhich uses eitherthe 454 or .28 Picco pullstartI useeither the007 or 053 both of which have much broader powerbands and have much better low to midrange power in general.

Also be aware too, you can just make a power comparison by swapping in/out the pipes and making a quick judgement. Each pipe requires a retune of the carb to get the full performance potential out of the tuned pipe being run.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:37 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

I've never heard the Losi HT pipe is an 053... The Mach is great with the stock pipe, and all bottom/no top with an 053 - in my tests anyway...

The 454 is an LRP Spec 3 .28. The Mach is a 26. I have had three Machs (and two Sportwerks .26's), and the Machs and LRP Spec 3's are very similar in how they run and tune.. The LRP has obviously a good bit more oomph on bottom, and drinks a hell of a lot more fuel, but mid-to-top they run very similarly. They also like the same pipes and plugs... (stock Losi RTR pipe for ex., and an OS A5) I also have a Dynamite Big Red. It too (an SH 28 too like the Losi 454 and Spec 3, but with fewer ports - it's basically an LRP Spec 2..) tunes like the others, but lacks a bit of top end compared to the Spec 3 and Machs, but as a trade-off seems to drink a tiny bit less fuel than the Spec 3... Don't really have enough fuel through the BR to be sure though.. So far though, it's definitely not showing the power my LRP Spec 3 did after like six tanks...

I have the 053 and 086 pipes, and have tried both on the Mach, and the 086 on an LRP Spec 3. All three of those combos sucked IMO, and the Mach with 053 sucked worst of all because of NO top end. I always ended up going back to the stock RTR Losi pipe.. I raced a silver Mach in truggy several times and a buggy once, always with the stock Losi RTR Muggy pipe, and it was really a good combo(for what it cost..) In truggy performance was good AND it managed 10 minutes to the tank easily..

Of all the engine combos I've had, the most fun was the LRP Spec 3 with JP-2 in a Muggy... (I got the JP-2 precisely because I had done a search just like this and searched all over the net to find out which pipe fit best with the Spec 3..) Pizza-cutter tires chasing down and running (up and..) over buggies at the track... [X(] Was very very fun... Never tried the JP-2 with the LST2, but assuming the header doesn't play a role and change things, that is absolutely the pipe I would go for with the 454/Spec 3 if I was looking for a power boost.. But then again, getting back to the original topic, I'm not really convinced that it will offer all that much more power than the stock pipe... IF a normal pipe were to though, IMHO it would be the JP-2...
Old 04-09-2011, 11:41 PM
NOVAMEGA

I'm running a jp-3 with my Losi 454 . The combo has a very smooth long power band with good top end . IMO it feels better than a 086
Old 04-10-2011, 12:43 AM
FloridaSnookHunter

herrsavage-

"I have the 053 and 086 pipes, and have tried both on the Mach, and the 086 on an LRP Spec 3. All three of those combos sucked IMO"

no, they dont suck here is my truck throwing heaps of dirt with a 086.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkqxS...el_video_title

this vid you can see i cant even pin the throttle in first gear cause it flips over. you can hear itcoming onto powerband and still has enough ballzat half throttle to flip over from a dead stop.cant wait to get a ERCM pipe! More noise, more powerthan any other pipe on the marketedit: my opinion muhhaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e57Ud...feature=relmfu

Novamega the JP pipes are awsome too. I run with a guy that hasa JP-2on his specthreepowered savage xmy truck isa little faster cause of the motor mod.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:57 AM
NOVAMEGA

"what pipe ?" I think it all depends on what your needs are . I think the Losi 454 has great mid power (best part of the motor IMO)and good low end and good top end . So ask yourself where in the power band do I want this motor shine ? Ofna's web site pipe section can help tell what pipe does what .... Hope this helps
Old 04-10-2011, 03:14 AM
ntrain42

The 454 is an LRP Spec 3 .28. The Mach is a 26. I have had three Machs (and two Sportwerks .26's), and the Machs and LRP Spec 3's are very similar in how they run and tune.. The LRP has obviously a good bit more oomph on bottom, and drinks a hell of a lot more fuel, but mid-to-top they run very similarly. They also like the same pipes and plugs... (stock Losi RTR pipe for ex., and an OS A5) I also have a Dynamite Big Red. It too (an SH 28 too like the Losi 454 and Spec 3, but with fewer ports - it's basically an LRP Spec 2..) tunes like the others, but lacks a bit of top end compared to the Spec 3 and Machs, but as a trade-off seems to drink a tiny bit less fuel than the Spec 3... Don't really have enough fuel through the BR to be sure though.. So far though, it's definitely not showing the power my LRP Spec 3 did after like six tanks...

I have the 053 and 086 pipes, and have tried both on the Mach, and the 086 on an LRP Spec 3. All three of those combos sucked IMO, and the Mach with 053 sucked worst of all because of NO top end. I always ended up going back to the stock RTR Losi pipe.. I raced a silver Mach in truggy several times and a buggy once, always with the stock Losi RTR Muggy pipe, and it was really a good combo(for what it cost..) In truggy performance was good AND it managed 10 minutes to the tank easily..

Of all the engine combos I've had, the most fun was the LRP Spec 3 with JP-2 in a Muggy... (I got the JP-2 precisely because I had done a search just like this and searched all over the net to find out which pipe fit best with the Spec 3..) Pizza-cutter tires chasing down and running (up and..) over buggies at the track... [X(] Was very very fun... Never tried the JP-2 with the LST2, but assuming the header doesn't play a role and change things, that is absolutely the pipe I would go for with the 454/Spec 3 if I was looking for a power boost.. But then again, getting back to the original topic, I'm not really convinced that it will offer all that much more power than the stock pipe... IF a normal pipe were to though, IMHO it would be the JP-2...
The Mach .26 and 427 do have a similiar powerband to the 454, but the timing is different between them and so is the fuel consumption/tuning. The smaller the engine, the more the power gets shiftedup due to air volume expelledon a given pipe compared to a larger mill. It may not be much, but there is a subtle difference. I really haven't messed around with any of the JP pipes but depending on the model they arebasically the sameas the 007/053/063/086 pipes inlength,diameter and divergence/convergence anglebut with a reinforced stinger.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:26 AM
ntrain42

herrsavage-

"I have the 053 and 086 pipes, and have tried both on the Mach, and the 086 on an LRP Spec 3. All three of those combos sucked IMO"

this vid you can see i cant even pin the throttle in first gear cause it flips over. you can hear itcoming onto powerband and still has enough ballzat half throttle to flip over from a dead stop.cant wait to get a ERCM pipe! More noise, more powerthan any other pipe on the marketedit: my opinion muhhaha

Novamega the JP pipes are awsome too. I run with a guy that hasa JP-2on his specthreepowered savage xmy truck isa little faster cause of the motor mod.
The vids honestly dont show much or really prove anything. Even a mismatched pipe/engine combo can perform or do wheelies etc. To find out how good your pipe pulls you need to have a stopwatch and some pylon cones and do multiple pulls to see in reality what a given pipe will do for performance in a given roller. This is how I determined which pipes run best. I set up 3 pylon cones did multiple passes and took readings at 2 different points(mid way point and end)along with overall top rpms to get an idea of what a pipe would do for performance.

Again a JP-2 is basicallyan OFNA 053 pipe with a reinforced can and stinger, LOL!. Someone with a spare few hundred bucks should just buy some of these pipes, cut em with a stationary band saw and split em in half and find out alot of these pipes are actually the same, LOL! Dynamite 053,OFNA JP-2, OFNA 053, Losi tuned HT pipe = same basic pipe.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:21 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

herrsavage-

''I have the 053 and 086 pipes, and have tried both on the Mach, and the 086 on an LRP Spec 3. All three of those combos sucked IMO''

this vid you can see i cant even pin the throttle in first gear cause it flips over. you can hear it coming onto powerband and still has enough ballz at half throttle to flip over from a dead stop. cant wait to get a ERCM pipe! More noise, more power than any other pipe on the market edit: my opinion muhhaha

Novamega the JP pipes are awsome too. I run with a guy that has a JP-2 on his spec three powered savage x my truck is a little faster cause of the motor mod.
The vids honestly dont show much or really prove anything. Even a mismatched pipe/engine combo can perform or do wheelies etc. To find out how good your pipe pulls you need to have a stopwatch and some pylon cones and do multiple pulls to see in reality what a given pipe will do for performance in a given roller. This is how I determined which pipes run best. I set up 3 pylon cones did multiple passes and took readings at 2 different points(mid way point and end)along with overall top rpms to get an idea of what a pipe would do for performance.

Again a JP-2 is basically an OFNA 053 pipe with a reinforced can and stinger, LOL!. Someone with a spare few hundred bucks should just buy some of these pipes, cut em with a stationary band saw and split em in half and find out alot of these pipes are actually the same, LOL! Dynamite 053,OFNA JP-2, OFNA 053, Losi tuned HT pipe = same basic pipe.

Not to be a pain...but a JP2 is absolutely nothing like a 053.... like apples and oranges different......none of the JP pipes are like any other pipe, they are unique amongst themselves...... a JP-2 is a top end pipe with a ridiculous top end, a 053 has absolutely no top end...........
Old 04-10-2011, 05:06 AM
NOVAMEGA

Has anyone used a jp-6 ? I would think that pipe with a short header would scream .... To me it seems like Ofna is like Toyota and jammin is like Lexas ............ the Jp-2 and 053 not the same
Old 04-10-2011, 06:33 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NOVAMEGA

Has anyone used a jp-6 ? I would think that pipe with a short header would scream .... To me it seems like Ofna is like Toyota and jammin is like Lexas ............ the Jp-2 and 053 not the same

JP6 sucks........ it is mainly a noise restriction pipe...it makes less power and RPM then the other JP pipes...
Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 AM
FloridaSnookHunter

ntrain, I do the same thing but with a laser rangefinder scopeusually at fifty yards but this time I had more distance

puase the second video at 19 sec. then start it, the run ends at 26 sec. thats a little over fifty yards. I give you my word on that distance.

that proves something 60yrds in 7 seconds
Old 04-10-2011, 10:10 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That does look fast actually.. Loud too.. 2nd video is better for getting an idea of speed.., though still not completely clear being that it's in sand.. Nevertheless, looks good to me...
Old 04-10-2011, 10:18 AM
FloridaSnookHunter

That does look fast actually.. Loud too.. 2nd video is better for getting an idea of speed.., though still not completely clear being that it's in sand.. Nevertheless, looks good to me...
thanks !
Old 04-10-2011, 03:35 PM
sixturbosix

I have been running this pipe on my losi 454 and I like it and the sound.The last 2 I bought for $.99 cent.ENDING SOON
LOSI LOSB5062 TUNED STINGER PIPE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63714.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	471.6 KB
ID:	1591978  
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Airbus 9e

Try the HT pipe. The one you have on there in the pic is an Aftershock muffler.....an HT will wake that thing up....
Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

+1
Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 AM
sixturbosix

I put the original losi pipe on and it did wake it up.I was suprised.Is the HT pipe better than that.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 AM
docsrcrepair
My Feedback: (8)

Irun either a jp2 pipe with the stock header or I use the THS 25-28 big block savage pipe with the larger stinger,seems to not loose much on the bottom end and really brings on the top end. Iknow its a waste of a header but hey..its only money right..lol

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHEC4&P=7