Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

454 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 PM
wildchango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 Problems

Hello All,

I have an LST1 just recently put a new 454 on it, has anyone had any issues with the thing like gurgling or just funky stuff at full throttle. I have had and delt with many nitro issues before but this is the first time I have seen anything like this. Will rev up and go ,but from a dead stop to full throttle it sounds like you are blipping the throttle or picking up signal or something. Sounds like the throttle servo is twitching bad, but I have looked at it on the bench and its not twitching. Weird. Two days ago was running good cool, idling nice, just fun. Now however its all kinds of weird.
Also has anyone had any problems with the Venom smart temp fail safes reading incorrect? Voltage? Temperature? Etc.

Need some advice please... Thanks:
Chango
Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 454 Problems

these engines have crappy carbs... the issues is from the carb not being insulated and they overheat the fuel coming into the carb..... Non insulated Sh carbs are terrible !
Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
BudBud

Did you try adding a little fuel to the mixture? These engines seem require a richer fuel mixture than some others. They do not do well at all when they are too lean. I agree with Tib on the non-insulated carburetors, but that should not be causing this problem. Where I see them acting up is once the engine is hot, they can be very hard to start. The fuel boils back away from the carburetor in the fuel line. I like the way these engines tune and hold a tune, but like I said, I find they need a little richer fuel mixture than others. Stammering, cutting out, unusual leaps in idle or low end rpm variations, all can be attributed to lean conditions. It might be perfect today and too lean tomorrow. Temperature, elevation and humidity affect these more than most people realize. I would also check the fuel lines for anything loose or cracked. You could also have a glow plug on its last leg, but normally I get a couple of gallons out of the stock SH plugs. Glen
Old 08-04-2010, 04:45 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Did you try adding a little fuel to the mixture? These engines seem require a richer fuel mixture than some others. They do not do well at all when they are too lean. I agree with Tib on the non-insulated carburetors, but that should not be causing this problem. Where I see them acting up is once the engine is hot, they can be very hard to start. The fuel boils back away from the carburetor in the fuel line. I like the way these engines tune and hold a tune, but like I said, I find they need a little richer fuel mixture than others. Stammering, cutting out, unusual leaps in idle or low end rpm variations, all can be attributed to lean conditions. It might be perfect today and too lean tomorrow. Temperature, elevation and humidity affect these more than most people realize. I would also check the fuel lines for anything loose or cracked. You could also have a glow plug on its last leg, but normally I get a couple of gallons out of the stock SH plugs. Glen

the 454's and Losi 350's are really really bad tuning engines.... at the local track we have several guys with the Losi RTR Buggy and truggy and every single one suffers from these issues... all the kings men and all the kings horses couldn't tune these things worth a dam..... In the Truggy and buggy its nearly impossible to get the engine to idle down correctly off the jumps and still maintain a mixture that will idle...the only way to get these things to work is to drown them with fuel by setting the mixture extremely rich...5 minutes runtimes and temps still tipping close to 300..........I am definitely not a fan of these engines at all.... The older Sh engines definitely seem to tune better then these new RTR ones...
Old 08-07-2010, 02:00 PM
wildchango

Thanks for the help guys. I did try the carb off of my old .26 stock LST motor, few adjustments and back in business. Been running it for a couple of days now and seems to be doing good.

Thanks again