RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Losi Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/losi-monster-trucks-319/)
-   -   Converting an Aftershock To an LST XXL? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/losi-monster-trucks-319/10523391-converting-aftershock-lst-xxl.html)

GotNitroRC 05-16-2011 10:22 AM

Converting an Aftershock To an LST XXL?

<hr size="1" style="background-color: #ffffff; color: #ffffff" /><! / icon and title ><! message ><div id="post_message_48494">Hey what are the differences between the Aftershock and the XXL? Can you convert an aftershock to the XXL? If so what parts would I need to get? Is the chassis bigger? Any help would be great. I also need to find a steel spur gear replacement for it too.</div>

HerrSavage 05-16-2011 10:27 AM

RE: Converting an Aftershock To an LST XXL?

I think you would need the LST2 upgrade kit, then the XXL chassis, side-rails, and center drive-shafts... Body too..

Might also then want the XXL transmission output gears..

I guess you could just get the chassis and center shafts for starters if you just want it bigger..

Forget the steel spur-gear - IMO.. Not needed..

GotNitroRC 05-16-2011 02:38 PM

<div id="post_message_48507">Thank you!! IS there any differeance between the LST and my Aftershock? I i get that upgrade kit, XXL chassis, side rails, and drive shafts, put all that together, and besides the 454 engine and tune pipe, its an XXL? </div>

HerrSavage 05-16-2011 09:57 PM

Pretty much, except for the different gearing inside the transmission.., and the extra tooth on the clutch-bell. XXL gearing is much better IMO when you run a 28..

Sounds like kind of a tall order, but hey, if you can get the parts on ebay cheap enough, why not?..

GotNitroRC 06-08-2011 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the the starting picturesbeforetheconvertion ofmy Losi Aftershock to the XXL. More to come with the whole converion.

GotNitroRC 06-08-2011 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: 10.5pt">I purchased the LST Performance Upgrade Kit and a set of the yellow firm springs. I also purchased the F-650 body by Proline to add to the mix. The transmission in the Aftershock will need some extra internals to make it in to the tranny in the XXL. If anybody knows what I'm going to needing, please let me know. I found on eBay that I can pick up the whole tranny completely assembled for about $30, but if I can figure out what I really need, it would probably save some money. I haven't picked up the extended chassis plate or rails yet. I have everything in stalled in the standard size chassis right now, but I&rsquo;m getting there. Here are some pictures so far.</span></div>

GotNitroRC 06-08-2011 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

<span style="font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10.5pt">Here is some close-ups of the work done so far to date.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

ImpalaPolicePack 06-08-2011 04:25 PM

looks good, but when i was running XXL rims, i didnt use the hub caps because the wheel nuts loosened a couple times so i checked them every couple tanks to make sure i dont strip my wheels...

and you should have changed that pipe before doing anything ! if you do it you will see a big gain in power from your 26ss.
if you end up doing the xxl chasis swap, check out ebay for a complete chasis for cheap.

GotNitroRC 06-08-2011 04:42 PM

Thanks for the info. Which pipe would be the best to go to? I was thinking about down the road, upgrading to the 454. Is that a good engine for it, or should I look at something else? I've ordered a complete chassis setup on eBay last night, but still looking for a good buy on the extended dog bones for the drive train.</p>

GotNitroRC 06-08-2011 04:46 PM

Does anybody know which transmission is better, the LST2 or the LST XXL?

HerrSavage 06-08-2011 09:31 PM

XXL. The transmissions are more or less the same, but the XXL has output gears which are better suited to more powerful engines.. I.e., the XXL gearing will make your truck faster..

The LST2 though has the hi/lo, if you care about that..

CR500rider 06-09-2011 06:16 AM

can you use the xxl output gears with the lst2 hi-lo tranny?

GotNitroRC 06-09-2011 07:01 AM

I'm not sure that there is any differeance on the output gears. Comparing the tranny diagram between the LST2 and the LST XXL, The only main differeance is with the setup of the Hi/Low slector assembly in the LST2 tranny. The XXL is geared in the Hi speed in that part.

ntrain42 06-09-2011 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: GotNitroRC

Thanks for the info. Which pipe would be the best to go to? I was thinking about down the road, upgrading to the 454. Is that a good engine for it, or should I look at something else? I've ordered a complete chassis setup on eBay last night, but still looking for a good buy on the extended dog bones for the drive train.</p>
If you go with the 454, the Losi HT tuned pipe is actually one of the best pipes for it. Wide powerband.

ntrain42 06-09-2011 08:01 AM

Does anybody know which transmission is better, the LST2 or the LST XXL?
All the LST transmissions are basically the same. The XXL since there is no lo gear will have less rotating mass. IMO, if you want to upgrade and gain some performance just eliminate the Hi low selector/gears anddo the FOC kit and the gain will be noticeable.

ntrain42 06-09-2011 08:04 AM

I'm not sure that there is any differeance on the output gears. Comparing the tranny diagram between the LST2 and the LST XXL, The only main differeance is with the setup of the Hi/Low slector assembly in the LST2 tranny. The XXL is geared in the Hi speed in that part.
You have 3 basic choices for gearing. Pinion gears,spur gears, and tranny gearing. I actually geared my LST's as low as possible for better low end torque and swapped in a few engines/pipes that rev higher to make up the difference in top end giving me the best of both worlds. My LST's will wheelie on command off the line and Ill still hit around 50mph which is nothing to sneeze at for top end speed.

HerrSavage 06-09-2011 08:09 AM

The XXL DOES have different gearing than the LST2, for more top speed. And YES, you can just buy the output gears for like 10 bucks and put them in any LST tranny... I was too lazy, so just bought whole XXL trannies for like 25 bucks from jennys..

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ar-Set-LST-XXL

GotNitroRC 06-10-2011 07:51 PM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-size: larger"><span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="line-height: 115%">I ordered the XXL extended chassis, the XXL transmission, the XXL linkage set, and a set of LST2 sway bar kit today. I will get more pics up here shortly of the install. I still need to get the extended drive shafts before I can use the new chassis, but does anybody know is the spur gear/slipper assembly and the clutch bell should also be replace? Or would the setup out of the Aftershock be fine for now? What&rsquo;s the difference between the combinations in the aftershock versus the one in the XXL? I am planning on keeping the M26SS in it for now, but will probably upgrade to the 454 and the HT pipe later on. What about the Titanium Nitride spur gears and clutch bell assembly? Are they worth the money? Any help would be awesome!!!</span></span></span></div>

HerrSavage 06-10-2011 10:15 PM

1.) The XXL clutch-bell is 19-26, the AS/LST2 CB is 18-25 - I think.. Still, you can leave it for now. The extra tooth means more top-end speed.
2.) Spur-gear, slipper, etc.. is the same. Leave it.
3.) IMO, forget all the tini stuff. Overpriced, and not necessary..

For bashing and lots of jumping, I am a big fan of the New Era roll-bar, RC Raven springs, and a wing kit.. Not musts, just good upgrades that fit all the LST trucks.. Only the rollbar is expensive - but it IS worth it IMO if you plan on jumping.. Protects everything, stiffens the chassis, and makes a nice handle... :)

ImpalaPolicePack 06-11-2011 04:43 AM

2.) Spur-gear, slipper, etc.. is the same. Leave it.

the 2-speed spurs use a bushing that will fail,lst2/xxl use bearings.

GotNitroRC 06-11-2011 08:13 AM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: "Arial","sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: 6.5pt">Thank you all so much for answering my questions!!! You guys are awesome!!! Should I just find a bearing that fits in the clutch bell assembly or does anybody have an idea which one works well in the clutch bell?</span></p>

ntrain42 06-11-2011 09:19 AM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-size: larger"><span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="line-height: 115%">I ordered the XXL extended chassis, the XXL transmission, the XXL linkage set, and a set of LST2 sway bar kit today. I will get more pics up here shortly of the install. I still need to get the extended drive shafts before I can use the new chassis, but does anybody know is the spur gear/slipper assembly and the clutch bell should also be replace? Or would the setup out of the Aftershock be fine for now? What&rsquo;s the difference between the combinations in the aftershock versus the one in the XXL? I am planning on keeping the M26SS in it for now, but will probably upgrade to the 454 and the HT pipe later on. What about the Titanium Nitride spur gears and clutch bell assembly? Are they worth the money? Any help would be awesome!!!</span></span></span></div>
The Aftershock uses what I found to be a *****ty one way bearing in spur assembly. The XXL uses a much better one. But you can get an even better OWB from avidrc.com for cheap money.

As for gearing, the best combo is using the 18/25 pinion with the 70/63 spur setup(which you have) and then using the 15/30 tranny gearing(LOSB3118). This will give you the best acceleration/low end torque, and you can keep top end speed by going with a tuned top end pipe like the OFNA/Dynamite 086 pipe. GIves you the best of both worlds.

ntrain42 06-11-2011 09:35 AM

The super gear assembly on the Aftershock comes with a cheap bushing/OWB, the XXL has a much better BB version. Avidrc.com makes the best one for the money for about 5 bucks.

As for gearing, I find gearing the LST for low end torque is best. An 18/25 clutch bell assembly with the stock 70/63 spur gears in combination with the 15/30 transmission gearing (LOSB3118) gives the absolute best torque and acceleration for low speed performance. By going with a good top end pipe like the OFNA/Dynamite 086 pipe will give you the best of both worlds as your torque will be dramatically improved through gearing, and you will maintain top end speed by the tuned pipe. Doing a FOC conversion will also significantly improve acceleration. My racing XXL will literally shred tires and wheelie on command with this combination.

As others said, you dont need to waste money on the Tini gears. I myself did for the pinion,spurs and ring/pinion on one of my XXLs, but have found no durability improvement over the stock plastic spur gears and ring/pinion steel gears in the diffs.

ntrain42 06-11-2011 09:47 AM

Also, if your looking to upgrade to a 454, its a nice upgrade, tuned RIGHT(this is key), its got a ton of power, its basically an LRP .28 spec3 motor with a slightly larger carb on it. Im selling a brand new one over at rctech for real cheap money: http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...motor-new.html

But if you want even more power and don't mind spending double the money, then look at the LRP .30x comp engine. Thats what I use now, same powerband as the 454, just more of it and it can be dialed in a bit easier too since it has an insulated carb with multiple tuning inserts.

HerrSavage 06-11-2011 09:49 AM

Can you just put a stock Mach or 454 backplate on the ZR30X?