RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Losi Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/losi-monster-trucks-319/)
-   -   Aftershock – Purchase one new 14mm wheel, or upgrade axles to accept 20mm wheels? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/losi-monster-trucks-319/11642961-aftershock-%96-purchase-one-new-14mm-wheel-upgrade-axles-accept-20mm-wheels.html)

DadSonsAndToys 11-13-2017 07:56 PM

Aftershock – Purchase one new 14mm wheel, or upgrade axles to accept 20mm wheels?

On my 1/8 Losi Aftershock, one of my wheels and corresponding hex nuts (stock hex nuts are plastic) are worn to the point where the wheel just spins. From my research, all the US based hobby shops show this wheel (LOSB7001 - “Magneto” Chrome Wheel) as discontinued except for one shop in Canada and one in Australia, so the total cost plus shipping to get just one wheel to me is about $45.

My Aftershock is stock (except for the brushless electric 4S conversion), and I'm pretty sure it has a 5mm axle and 14mm wheels. This truck is only used for backyard bashing.

Should I purchase one wheel and a wheel ($45) hex set (about $8) or should I use one of those LOSB3516 ($26) hex adapters to convert my axles to accept 20mm wheels and buy four new wheels? If you recommend the latter, which wheels do you recommend for similar performance to my stock wheels?

1QwkSport2.5r 11-14-2017 03:36 AM

My suggestion would be to upgrade to the LST2 suspension and axles. It's more money, but a very worthwhile investment. I did that to the aftershock I had some years back and was glad I did it; not to mention I had two aftershock wheels that were cracked. The LST upgrade kit is around $100; I believe it comes with a set of 4 wheels as well. Just glue tires on and go.

Tzicul 11-14-2017 11:12 PM

You can buy both a complete set of wheels and the hexes really cheap from jennysrc or from dollarhobbyz

DadSonsAndToys 11-15-2017 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r (Post 12383650)
My suggestion would be to upgrade to the LST2 suspension and axles. It's more money, but a very worthwhile investment. I did that to the aftershock I had some years back and was glad I did it; not to mention I had two aftershock wheels that were cracked. The LST upgrade kit is around $100; I believe it comes with a set of 4 wheels as well. Just glue tires on and go.

I can't find that kit anywhere. It's sold out/discontinued by every site I could find. When searching the part number for this kit on eBay LOSB0014, there are not even any sold listings or completed listings. I guess I'll have to upgrade on piece-by-piece basis to get to a 17mm or 20mm hex. Seems like 17mm hex would give me more options.

1QwkSport2.5r 11-16-2017 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by DadSonsAndToys (Post 12384201)
I can't find that kit anywhere. It's sold out/discontinued by every site I could find. When searching the part number for this kit on eBay LOSB0014, there are not even any sold listings or completed listings. I guess I'll have to upgrade on piece-by-piece basis to get to a 17mm or 20mm hex. Seems like 17mm hex would give me more options.

Probably discontinued due to all of the XXL2 variants showing up. Try here; some stuff is out of stock currently, but you could be close to the same pricetag or a bit less than the upgrade kit. https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/collect...losi+lst-xxl-2

DadSonsAndToys 11-16-2017 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r (Post 12384242)
Probably discontinued due to all of the XXL2 variants showing up. Try here; some stuff is out of stock currently, but you could be close to the same pricetag or a bit less than the upgrade kit. https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/collect...losi+lst-xxl-2

Yeah, lots of stuff out of stock, but thanks for the link. I'll probably have to source from multiple suppliers. I'm such a Noob, I wouldn't know what parts would be needed. Here are the parts that come with the upgrade kit:
  1. Aluminum front and rear differential housings
  2. New reinforced front and rear suspension arms
  3. New revised front spindles and carriers for the oversized axles and bearings
  4. New oversized Super-Duty CV Driveshafts for the front and rear
  5. New larger front and rear axles
  6. Oversized ball bearings for the larger axles
  7. New one-piece rear hub carriers for the oversized axles and bearings
  8. Revised chassis side rails with new inner gear cover
  9. New outer hinge pins for the reinforced arms
  10. New larger 20mm wheel hexes
  11. New 420 series front and rear wheels
  12. New transmission case set with revised Hi/Low gear selector
  13. New inside secondary gear cover

The only issue I have is that one wheel is stripped and I can't find that wheel anywhere on the planet. One Canadian company's stock said it was in stock, but after I paid for it on-line, they're saying it's missing from their stock room. Which individual parts would be necessary to get me rolling again?

DadSonsAndToys 11-16-2017 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tzicul (Post 12383909)
You can buy both a complete set of wheels and the hexes really cheap from jennysrc or from dollarhobbyz

You might be right about the wheels, but so far no store has been able to confirm that any of their 14mm wheels will properly fit my 5mm axles and I haven't yet found a way to get a 17mm (or 20mm) hex on my 5mm axle. At this point, I'm leaning towards upgrading my drive train so I can use 17mm (or 20mm) hexes. A simple 14mm to 17mm **METAL** hex adapter would make me really happy, because then I would have lots of choices for 4 new wheels.

1QwkSport2.5r 11-16-2017 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by DadSonsAndToys (Post 12384249)
Yeah, lots of stuff out of stock, but thanks for the link. I'll probably have to source from multiple suppliers. I'm such a Noob, I wouldn't know what parts would be needed. Here are the parts that come with the upgrade kit:
  1. Aluminum front and rear differential housings
  2. New reinforced front and rear suspension arms
  3. New revised front spindles and carriers for the oversized axles and bearings
  4. New oversized Super-Duty CV Driveshafts for the front and rear
  5. New larger front and rear axles
  6. Oversized ball bearings for the larger axles
  7. New one-piece rear hub carriers for the oversized axles and bearings
  8. Revised chassis side rails with new inner gear cover
  9. New outer hinge pins for the reinforced arms
  10. New larger 20mm wheel hexes
  11. New 420 series front and rear wheels
  12. New transmission case set with revised Hi/Low gear selector
  13. New inside secondary gear cover

The only issue I have is that one wheel is stripped and I can't find that wheel anywhere on the planet. One Canadian company's stock said it was in stock, but after I paid for it on-line, they're saying it's missing from their stock room. Which individual parts would be necessary to get me rolling again?

What you really need:
- LST2/XXL suspension arms, C-hubs, axle carriers, steering knuckles, bearings
- LST2/XXL axles/dogbones
- whichever size wheel hexes you want - 14mm to 24mm
- wheels/tires to fit your wheel hexes

My Aftershock had aluminum (natural, not blue) diff cases; I never replaced mine. If yours are plastic, replace the diff cases. The chassis side rails were the same on my Aftershock and LST2 kit; didn't change them. Didn't use the trans case.

I don't recall changing the center driveshafts or getting new ones in the box, but I see no reason to change those unless you have problems with them coming loose.

Tzicul 11-16-2017 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by DadSonsAndToys (Post 12384253)
You might be right about the wheels, but so far no store has been able to confirm that any of their 14mm wheels will properly fit my 5mm axles and I haven't yet found a way to get a 17mm (or 20mm) hex on my 5mm axle. At this point, I'm leaning towards upgrading my drive train so I can use 17mm (or 20mm) hexes. A simple 14mm to 17mm **METAL** hex adapter would make me really happy, because then I would have lots of choices for 4 new wheels.

Or, if you have a turner near you, you can build some 5 to 8 mm bushing. I think this will work, too. Depends on what you are willing to spend