Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

slow roll

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

slow roll

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Heliman4213
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow roll

I aman experianced flyer for 38 years but never really focused on a slow roll. Now that I am into turbines I want to master it. Did a little on the simulater wow a lot of slow moving. Any tips on really how to progress into this. just thinking about a 200 mph slow roll on the deck. Any help please thanks.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:46 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: slow roll

Start higher than down near the deck??

Seriously though, consider a "slow roll" condition in your radio where the aileron, rudder and elevator rates are appropriate for what you need. At high speed, too much throw can really make a smooth slow roll next to impossible although at 200mph I doubt you be doing the traditional ~5 sec slow roll.

Four point rolls are a good starting point, master that and you just have to blend the points together. Also it's a bad habit (but a safe one), if you learn to do it a particular way as all my slow and point rolls (flying left or right) start with me rolling towards myself, looking at the top of the plane at the first point. That way the first rudder input is always opposite to the aileron. However my inverted to inverted rolls are done rolling away from myself (first rudder same as aileron), the common denominator being that I'm always looking at the top of the plane during the first 1/2 roll.

The golden rule is practice 3 mistakes high, and keep it fun.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

Golden rule for "normal" speed. "Jets" and "normal speed" don't usually collide in the same sentence

At 3 times normal speed he would be so high he might not be able to see the crate.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 PM
bjr_93tz

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

Golden rule for ''normal'' speed. ''Jets'' and ''normal speed'' don't usually collide in the same sentence

At 3 times normal speed he would be so high he might not be able to see the crate.[img][/img]
Yeah, but I've never seen anything fall out of the sky faster than a heli.

Those things just don't plummet down in some wonky zig-zag pattern or ballistic trajectory, they rocket to earth like they've been swatted by God's flyswatter.....
Old 10-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Strat2003

Something that helped me get the rudder inputs right is always rolling 'canopy in'. To explain: Flying right to left, rolling canopy in, you're rolling left. Your first rudder input will be right...the side of the center line you're on. Continuing to roll, your next rudder input will be left...the side of the center you're on.
Flying left to right, roll right and your first rudder input is left, the side of the center line you're flying on. Past center your rudder input is right.
After a while it's second nature, but while you're getting started (the first couple of years, lol) that cheat will help you get it right in slow and point rolls.
And yes, it's easier to start with point rolls.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Heliman4213

It took me 2 full summers to master it with prop planes and my Turbines. A slow roll defined in the book is a full 8 seconds. When I finally got it OMG what a feeling but lots of practice. Now I can do it 15 feet on the deck at full speed. Looks awesome.Bob
Old 10-30-2018, 03:46 PM
bjr_93tz

Talk about bumping an old thread, I'm glad to hear you've got it nailed and enjoying it.

Traditionally in F3A a slow roll was ~5 seconds but there hasn't been a slow roll in F3A for so long that there's no criteria anymore? Any criteria that was, doesn't seem to be enforced in the lower class where there usually is a slow roll.