Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

What happens if MAAC folded?

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

What happens if MAAC folded?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What happens if MAAC folded?

Here's a spin-off of the insurance thread.

If the worst case scenario took place and another big accident forced MAAC into shutting it's doors, what would the result be? I don't believe it would be the end of the modelling world in Canada. Some may even consider it to be a good thing in that a new group(s) would be more specific and relevant to what is happening in Canadian modelling today?

Would the AMA considering picking up the slack somehow?

Another new single national association?

1,2 .....3 regional associations?

What would you like to see if we had to start fresh?

......let's avoid the "anti-maac"rhetoric and have some honest discussion.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What happens if MAAC folded?

Hypothetical revisionist history?

More relevent? Maybe by focusing on your interests to the exclusion of all others?
Just what is "more specific and relevant to what is happening in Canadian modelling today?" since you seem to be the seld declared expert on this matter?

-------------
First, I doubt MAAC would be unable to get any form of insurance.
Second, I doubt MAAC would close it's doors if this were even the case
Third, how do you figure some other organization would then be able to obtain insurance?
Fourth, why do I get the impression you think this would be a positive move?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:13 PM
britbrat

I sincerely hope that scenario never plays out. Modelling life in Canada would continue, but continuance in its present form (ignoring the MAAC part) would be uncertain in the extreme. I suspect that we would be immediately vulnerable to loss of frequency protection, among other things.

It would certainly change things -- & not for the better. A new association would probably be a hollow shell, proclaiming representation of the body of modellers. There would likely be several new associations, with all of the fearfull problems associated with the inevitable turf wars that would ensue.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Sharpy01

Actually Jim, I agree with Britbrat.

I don't think it would be a good thing if the MAAC tent came down for reasons Brit points out, plus a few more. It's a "what if" question designed to make members think.

It's kind of why I continue to question and hammer at things within. I feel it's good to make folks think about and debate internal issues within. Perhaps they will pay more attention to what is going on and not accept issues like "new rules" (particularly ill-conceived ones) as inevitable or unchangeable. Debating this topic may make a few realize the potential dangers/scenarios should the association tank. .................maybe enough to raise a fuss and get involved.

Unchallenged policy/rules that go unchecked could potentially be as dangerous as a serious accident. So, why not examine the "doomsday" scenario? It's interesting, if nothing else.

I agree with Brit that we'd see more than one association srping up, but I'm not sure about the turf wars. I think we've been kidding ourselves about influence with the government as it was virtually ignored and non-existant for a number of years. The board has certainly made some strides in that direction in the last few years so it may be hard to judge right now. I'm somewhat torn as I don't like "monopolies" so I admit I'm curious to see what some competition in the market might do for the hobby?..............if anything.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Jim_McIntyre

"Competition in the market."

<SOAPBOX>
Let's see, that would be why the local mom & pop hardware store no longer exists and why I now have the option of buying cheaper low quality junk from large box stores with little product support beyond returns.[:@]

Closer to home, it would also be why the social, helpful hobby store has also become quite rare and I now have the option of paying $12 for an 1/8 sheet of hard, heavy, warped balsa and I have to special order dope. But I can buy a cheap plastic ARF junk airplane like everyone else has off the shelf for less than the dope order.[:@]
</SOAPBOX>

Pardon me for venting, I guess I'm just not a big fan of the cheaper & less effort is better crowd.[:@]

Yeah, I guess agree with britbrat too.
What's going on here lately, are you guys going soft, or are you leading me down the garden path? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 08-30-2005, 05:38 PM
ronnieo1

MAAC aint folding no time too soon........there is nothing to worry about..it's this kind of minor banter that makes people think it is....and it's hogwash. Just a poor thread started by "Chicken Little" again to get his anti-MAAC way..and noone is falling for it..nice try Marc. Yadda yadda yadda....yawn..............
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 PM
jhelps

Ronnie

Surprised you would read that into Marc's post. Frankly I think it was a GREAT question ... Why? In negotiations one of the techniques to use when parties are very far apart and have reached an impass is to ask them individually "If you can't get exactly what you want what is the next best alternative" Often the next alternative is not very palatable and so they try harder to salvage the existing situation. This post may indeed make folks think that MAAC ain't so bad.

Coming from this point of view I think that the next best alternative to MAAC is not very palatable. If we wish to preserve frequencies and stay out from under direct federal regulation then we need to have a governing body. For the government to even begin to discuss things with this body it must speak for the majority.

As a personnal note I suggest that if you are not happy with what you read here ... simply don't log on! As much as you insist Marc's anti-MAAC stance is the same old same old, your constant jumping in that anything he posts is clearly anti-MAAC is becoming just as tiresome.

On an un-related note a surveydone in the UK found that Canada rated fourth in the world as all time whinners and complainers.

JH
Old 08-30-2005, 07:23 PM
GuyIncognito

Funny how the only post that is slighlty nasty is from the member from the states ( or is that Windsor, ON ?). I was enjoying a rather POLITE discussion among the Canadian members. Just an observation.

A relative had a great deal of trouble picking up another insurer after his present insurance company pulled out after one accident in his trucking company. He was very rightly scared that he would lose his company. The insurance companies are tentative and they don't have to insure what they feel are high risk activities.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:24 PM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: Jim_McIntyre
Yeah, I guess agree with britbrat too.
What's going on here lately, are you guys going soft, or are you leading me down the garden path? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I'm not any different from "before". Maybe it's because were talking to each other -- not shouting, or discounting/dismissing out-of-hand.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:58 PM
ronnieo1

It wasn't of any particular personal topic.....it just seems the "SAME" person starting the "SAME" old Anti-MAAC rhetoric on the "SAME" old forums to round up the "SAME" people to get their 3.5 cents on a topic that generates the "SAME" response. Have'nt you people caught on yet? Talk about something positive about MAAC and you can't, therefore, I, as well as the other 98% believe this is another tactic to round up troops, when the other 12 anti-topics failed to generate a little more than a "whatever" response. There is noone to argue with, so let's create another touchy topic, when all else fails...that's why I call it same old, same old and laugh when you all fall for it.
As far as MAAC goes, if anyone thinks it's gonna fold is only speculating on something as inane as The Bank of Canada folding, and discussing it with an "as if", is a waste of time. Your time would be better spent if you tried to see what you can do to make it better, rather than to speculate on it's demise. Get real.

Start a topic...what could YOU!!! do to make MAAC better?

Remember that guy named Kennedy who said.."ask not..what your country can do for you, but you could do for your country". It don't apply to the select few that start these "what if" topics here.

...and Im not from the states....
Old 08-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Sharpy01

......ronnieo, bud. Quit while your ahead. Nobody wants to fight, just some interesting discussion.

The only "same'ol" here ........................ is you.

Appreciate the input Incognito.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:22 PM
jhelps

ORIGINAL: ronnieo1

Start a topic...what could YOU!!! do to make MAAC better?

Ron feel free to start such a topic. Perhaps the "other 98%" you speak for will indeed join in.

I may even give it some thoughts.

JH
Old 08-30-2005, 11:20 PM
jhelps

ORIGINAL: ronnieo1

Remember that guy named Kennedy who said.."ask not..what your country can do for you, but you could do for your country". It don't apply to the select few that start these "what if" topics here.

Ron

Equating support or non-support for MAAC to patriotism is simply in poor taste. Bringing JFK into the mix ...[&o]

Any organization that is built upon strong enough foundations can survive questioning ... even negative questioning. Indeed it should be considered an opportunity to validate its current posture or give food for thought for change. You're problem appears to be that you take things personally and see them as an afront to all you hold dear. The discussions here are not going to cause any major change in MAAC unless the majority wish it (you yourself seem to believe that 98% share your view) so what is the problem? Indeed your constant attacks on any discenting opinion could be seen to be a cover for an organization with something to hide. Does it?

Even as fanatical as it is your loyalty is admirable.

JH
Old 08-31-2005, 07:15 AM
ronnieo1

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01

......ronnieo, bud. Quit while your ahead. Nobody wants to fight, just some interesting discussion.

The only "same'ol" here ........................ is you.

Appreciate the input Incognito.

incognito...I didnt mention any names!!!

Jeff..Im not fanatical, just amazed at all the pokes taken at MAAC with no solution to the theoretical topics......
I see new topics coming..

What if Wayne came back as President?
What if MAAC HQ moved to Man.?
Why is Ontario the centre of the Universe for R/C?
yadda yadda yadda.....

Start a tangible topic and you'll get some real answers that are PRODUCTIVE....and you wont have to start a negative topic...go back and look at the last 20 topics...it's pathetic.....anti- anything....they all seem tongue in cheek topics...no value at all....just baited topics to make certain Zones and volunteers in competition look bad ...that's the way I see it. Sorry.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:30 AM
Sharpy01

...yawn. [sm=tired.gif]

Jeff:

The unreasonable cannot be reasoned with. [&:]
Old 08-31-2005, 07:42 AM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: jhelps
Equating support or non-support for MAAC to patriotism is simply in poor taste.
Where is the poor taste?
There are obviously many who are quite dedicated to MAAC, exhibiting emotions that smack of being patriotic in fact. The fact that you don't feel this way does not decrease the credibility of this simple fact.

I think the analagy is apropos, especially when you consider the allegiance some have shown for certain past (MAAC) presidents....
Old 08-31-2005, 08:15 AM
Sharpy01

.....don't you get tired of defending ron's rantings? [&:]
Old 08-31-2005, 08:22 AM
ronnieo1

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01

.....don't you get tired of defending ron's rantings? [&:]

Never!!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:44 AM
Sharpy01

....ah, that was a question for Jim.

Anyway, I've started a substantive thread on the upcoming zone meetings. Perhaps you have something more than personal axe grinding to add?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:01 AM
jhelps

Equating support or non-support for MAAC to patriotism is simply in poor taste.
Where is the poor taste?
There are obviously many who are quite dedicated to MAAC, exhibiting emotions that smack of being patriotic in fact. The fact that you don't feel this way does not decrease the credibility of this simple fact.

I think the analagy is apropos, especially when you consider the allegiance some have shown for certain past (MAAC) presidents....
The bad taste is that it downgrades patriotism. To equate support for a hobby organisation to support for one's country is wrong on so many levels. I don't know anyone willing to die for MAAC, I do know 60,000 plus willing to put their lives on the line for their country!!!!

JH
Old 08-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Jim_McIntyre

a·nal·o·gy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-nl-j)
n. pl. a·nal·o·gies

a Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.
b A comparison based on such similarity. See Synonyms at likeness.

source: dictionary.com

To be analagous, considerations of scale are unimportant. To say someone is like a bull, does not necessarily infer they have an affinity for cows...
Old 08-31-2005, 09:32 AM
jhelps

a·nal·o·gy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-nl-j)
n. pl. a·nal·o·gies

a Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.
b A comparison based on such similarity. See Synonyms at likeness.

source: dictionary.com

To be analagous, considerations of scale are unimportant. To say someone is like a bull, does not necessarily infer they have an affinity for cows...
Point taken, however we will have to agree to disagree on the subject analogy, in my opinion (which only represents and will ALWAYS only represent ~ .00796% of MAAC members) it is in poor taste.

Can't continue any more of this sparkling repartee today, am off to Ottawa in an hour.

JH
Old 08-31-2005, 09:59 AM
Jim_McIntyre

in my opinion (which only represents and will ALWAYS only represent ~ .00796% of MAAC members) it is in poor taste.
Where do you draw this number from?

One could measure NASCAR interest by the number of registered drivers ... one could ... be wrong.

Enjoy Ottawa, and don't forget your patriotism ... or what Samuel Johson wrote about it.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:01 AM
ronnieo1

........the defense rests......Mr. Prosecutor............
Old 08-31-2005, 10:28 AM
jhelps

in my opinion (which only represents and will ALWAYS only represent ~ .00796% of MAAC members) it is in poor taste.
Where do you draw this number from?

I speak for only 1 MAAC member ---> Me hence I represent ~approx .00796% of the ~13000 (according to the MAAC site) MAAC members.

Always enjoy Ottawa althought it is supposed to be stormy the next few days.

Detailed discussions of patriotism are for another day and on another thread.

cheers

JH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.