Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

aeromodelling across canada - now from where i come from

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

aeromodelling across canada - now from where i come from

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: aeromodelling across canada - now from where i come from

Gee, I wonder who these people are.... I wonder if it would be the same ones who continue to post this tripe in every forum they haven't been kicked out of yet.... maybe you can save your response for RCCanada eh Kenny? ... oops sorry ... forgot ... you can't, why is that again?
....you being mean again Jim? Be nice, that hurts my feelings too, cause I'm in that doghouse as well.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:35 AM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Sigh*....oh well, I tried...
Old 10-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Sharpy01

No need to try. It's just toy airplanes. ................... and it's getting cold. [&:]
Old 10-26-2005, 12:16 PM
gingertoad

Marc,

We are not too far apart in our thinking at this point. I was not using free flight as anything but an example. The point that I was making was that people who sport fly will do what the locals do. When I fly RC (and I do) I fit in with our local club. The competition flyers are in a different league. They tend to stick with one discipline, if not for ever, certainly for protracted periods of time. Hence immigration is a factor in that set of circumstances. I am not exaggerating when I say that the immigration factor has had a profound effect on our competition scene.

I have also faced bulls, as well as "gators" in a Florida waterway, while retrieving errant free flight models. Why do I fly free flight? I consider it an art form and love to watch my creations drift on the air. There is a serene peacefulness involved.

Let it again be stressed that I realize that the active competition flyers are the minority within MAAC. It could be argued that they have a disproportionately loud voice. It could also be argued that they do a disproportionate amount of the work. Arguments of this type draw a veil over the key point, and that is that MAAC is an organization for all modellers and we do have to try to satisfy all needs as far as possible. Some people will never be satisfied until their own particular interests are the only ones considered. Others will sigh and put up with whatever happens, regardless of whether or not it is fair.

My comment about the "governing voice" was appropriate. The Governing voices of all sport aviation associations in Canada belong to ACC and we would be foolish to ignore that. I will give full credit to Wayne Bransfield for advancing our involvement with Transport Canada, and starting our involvement with the Radio Advisory Board of Canada. As Shakespeare put it: "the evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones". In the case of Wayne Bransfield and Pierre Trudeau, the reverse seems to be the case! Wayne looks better in retrospect than he did at the time.

As Con. Com. chairman, I am currently working closely with Industry Canada on Bylaw revisions. Our "legal" bylaws date back to the fifties!
It behoves us to work in close cooperation with all the organizations and authorities whose operations affect us; Wayne recognized that, and he was right in that regard.

Cheers

Richard Barlow
Old 10-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Sharpy01

............ahhhhhh, Richard.

We've reached a milestone in our many discussions.

I've got nothing to argue with. Finally, you seel things my way..........LOL......kidding, kidding.

......Hang On! Just a second. You did leave a tidbit to take a run at.

Pierre (I did a wonderful job of further dividing Canada) Trudeau and Wayne Bransfield in the same sentence!

Please....................I like Wayne.

and another thing:

"There is a serene peacefulness involved" ........yeah, baby. I get the same feeling at the field. Even when there isn't a plane in the air. I only wish it were more.

By the way, I hope nobody wasted their money on 649 cause as my teen-agers say, "I called it". [8D]
Old 10-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01
....you being mean again Jim? Be nice, that hurts my feelings too, cause I'm in that doghouse as well.
Just my way of correcting another anachronism my friend.

... and, I'd assumed you were let back in the house, haven't I seen you posting there recently?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Sharpy01

...never assume Jim.

Sent me to my favourite site again, Dictionary.com

a·nach·ro·nism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-nkr-nzm)
n.
1. The representation of someone as existing or something as happening in other than chronological, proper, or historical order.

2.One that is out of its proper or chronological order, especially a person or practice that belongs to an earlier time: “A new age had plainly dawned, an age that made the institution of a segregated picnic seem an anachronism†(Henry Louis Gates, Jr.).

dang, this place is educational to................ Ya see that Syd!
Old 10-26-2005, 01:16 PM
DSLarkin

Marc,

No, I never said Immigration was a major reason. Your term micro reason is perhaps more appropriate. It's just one of very many factors why you tend to find more diversity around Toronto and Vancouver, than say, here around Picton. This is a rich hobby with lots of different ways to enjoy it. Could we have a little commentary without distortion?

I don't think nostalgia is an appropriate term, except for vintage and SAM. We are talking about current, high tech forms of modelling where there is always a new challenge. New materials, new concepts (unfolding wings), really high performance engines, electronic timers - not exactly nostalgia.

Ken has a bee in his bonnet about the Aero Club affaire. The facts are very simple:

- There was a problem funding the ACC after Transport Canada withdrew its funding.
- For a number of reasons the Canadian aerosport community wasn't getting its act together to sort this out. MAAC had a big responsibility as we are the major group within the ACC,
- The MAAC president threw up his hands in disgust and (somewhat illegally) withdrew our membership. I can understand his frustration, but it wasn't exactly helpful
- A few of us got together and worked with the other associations to develop a solution from the various ideas people were starting to float.
- Once everybody was working together it wasn't hard to come up with a proposal.
- All the associations bought off on it and the MAAC Board voted to rejoin on the terms that had been developed.
- With the revised fee schedule everybody paid a little more to replace the DOT funding. In our case it was about 75cents.

If the four Zone Directors hadn't worked on the problem, it would not have been solved for a while, and might have cost MAAC a great deal. No other Zone Director (and nobody on the MAAC Executive) worked on a solution. If you think you did, Ken, lets hear about the particulars. But you were quite happy for MAAC to be out of the ACC.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:28 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Richard,
I'm afraid to say that "sport" in maac is leading to MAAC's demise, no quorum in SE zone is an indication of this.

The majority of members fly recreationaly, although some will try to down play this there is a big difference between sport and recreation, maac does not project the image as an recreational organization, it does not yet have a recreational culture or image.

This is dangerous for MAAC's survival since the majority of members are recreational based, having maac as an sport organization when the majority practice a recreational activity could be considered corporate suicide.

There is room for a competitive element in maac but the culture in the maac has to change to reflect it's membership core.

There are recreational aircraft associations too ...[link]http://www.raa.ca/[/link]

Accept the fact that the majority join for the insurance then build on that if you wish a strong organization but never forget for one second that if no insurance then no maac.

Simply said, for maac to survive and grow, maac has to connect with the majority, there will be some losses and some gains as maac continues to evolve if it survives.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:39 PM
kenair

No bee Dave,
thae executive at that time was working on a plan and the board was kept informed.
If the four Zone Directors hadn't worked on the problem, it would not have been solved for a while, and might have cost MAAC a great deal
I'm afraid Dave that your actions have cost MAAC your actions the tone on how the board interacts since then and how the past maac presidents have been treated since your actions.

some patience cou;d have been shown at that time let the board deal with this issue, solutions were being develop and solutions take time but it guess you had to do it your way, looking back what did it accomplish in the big picture for maac.

Growth is stangnant, zone meetings are poorly attended, Nats irregular, at some FAI team trials it may be who shows up makes the team or no team is recommended, Scale 2002 loses $60K.

Sorry to say Dave, you may have made the right move for your own interest group but the wrong move for maac. time will tell.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:46 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kenair

Hi Richard,
I'm afraid to say that "sport" in maac is leading to MAAC's demise, no quorum in SE zone is an indication of this.

The majority of members fly recreationaly, although some will try to down play this there is a big difference between sport and recreation, maac does not project the image as an recreational organization, it does not yet have a recreational culture or image.

This is dangerous for MAAC's survival since the majority of members are recreational based, having maac as an sport organization when the majority practice a recreational activity could be considered corporate suicide.

There is room for a competitive element in maac but the culture in the maac has to change to reflect it's membership core.

There are recreational aircraft associations too ...[link]http://www.raa.ca/[/link]

Accept the fact that the majority join for the insurance then build on that if you wish a strong organization but never forget for one second that if no insurance then no maac.

Simply said, for maac to survive and grow, maac has to connect with the majority, there will be some losses and some gains as maac continues to evolve if it survives.

Curious old keeeny boy that if sport is leading to maaax demise why your website is called "sportrc" LOL

Maybe you should have called it "recreationrc" instead rather than contributing to the demise of maaac
Old 10-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Jim_McIntyre

... Grwoth is stangnant, zone meetings are poorly attended, Nats irregular, FAI team trials now to the point, who shows up makes the team, Scale 2002 loses $60K....
Wow! Dave, you're more powerful than I'd imagined. Were you responsible for SARS too? Loved SARSStock, thanks man.

Ken, I can't ignore your iboldfaced lie. I can personally attest to the fact since I ran a trials in 2003 for the 2004 F4C team ... and didn't recommend anyone.

... and I guess Golf is failing because they promote it as a sport instead of a recreational pastime too?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:25 PM
kenair

I can personally attest to the fact since I ran a trials in 2003 for the 2004 F4C team ... and didn't recommend anyone.
could this have possibility happened or is it a myth. sorry Jim, I take your word on this and will correct my earlier post.

But wasn't the reason for spending a large sum of maac cash on Scale 2002 because there is this huge interest in competitive scale and maac would reap the rewards of Scale 2002 for years to come.

If I might add, there is a huge insterest in scale aeromodelling in Canada, just not in competition, too bad, I miss that but things change and life must go on.

There were some great scale models at the [link=http://www.sportrc.com/gimli.html]Gimli Air Fest[/link] so scale aero modelling is alive and well.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:55 PM
jhelps

I AM A MAAC MEMBER

I don’t fly “toy†airplanes I fly miniature aircraft;
I fly helicopters, gliders, sport models, twins, and semi scale aircraft;
While I don’t compete locally, nationally or internationally I DO support those who do;
I compete at the personal level each and every flight by trying to make it better than the one before;
I assess my skills and practice those area’s that are lacking;
Consequently I don’t “bore holes in the sky†I have a flight plan and I stick to it;
I assist others whenever possible and support my local club and Zone executive;
I don’t believe in open proxies because they can and have been misused;
I support free speech and abhor those who try and control open forums;
I believe in debating issues and not partaking in personal attacks;
I support truth, justice and the …… (whoops got carried away there a bit)

I AM A MAAC MEMBER and …

Ken Does NOT speak for me!!!!!!

Jeff H

PS I don't drink Canadian I drink Labatt's Blue
Old 10-26-2005, 03:04 PM
kenair

Ken Does NOT speak for me!!!!!!
Yes that is correct.

last post for me, c u on the next thread.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Sharpy01

Instead of the personal shots fellas..............read it again.

WHat exactly do you disagree with here?
Old 10-26-2005, 03:13 PM
gingertoad

Marc,

I undertstood that you were finally seeing things my way! Ah well - we can let that one go.

I also like Wayne; I like and respect him. His work on the Executive this past two years has been admirable, and he has shown grear support for Carl, whom I also like and respect.

It is no secret that Wayne and I locked horns on a few issues over the years, but that has never affected my personal liking for him as a man, and indeed as a gentleman.

To give you your due, we have also had disagreements, but neither of us resorts to abuse, thus respect can exist.

Let us hope for a few more sunny days, then I retire to the basement to build - what else? - three more free flight models.

Cheers

Richard
Old 10-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Jim_McIntyre

What Jeff said, with the exception that I do formally compete as well.

I too am a MAAC member and Ken Does NOT speak for me either!!!!!!

The only thing Ken said that makes sense was
scale aero modelling is alive and well
Unlike Ken though, I don't think that can be attributed to Ken, myself or even Gimli;

Our biggest difference is I promote scale and competition....

[link=http://imageevent.com/jabbathehutt/chathamscale2005;jsessionid=rnqv2gq6p2.tiger_s]Chatham[/link] and [link=http://www.kwflyingdutchmen.com/scalerally/index.php?folder=/Scale%20Rally%202005/]Kitchener[/link] to name a couple.

Why do I keep responding to this dollard? Because he continually seeks to belittle something I worked extremely hard for several years to accomplish;
Old 10-26-2005, 03:24 PM
gingertoad

Hi Ken,

I used the term "sport" in reference to general model flying of a non-competitive nature. I thought that was the universal term. It isn't?

Most of my flying is also "recreational" although I am a competitor as well.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to equate sport flying to AZM attendance. In the Ottawa Valley Zone, we traditionally reach between four and five times the required quorum. Why and how?

Quite simply because we give our members reasons to attend. At least sixty communications a year go out to all club representatives and any member at large who requests it; we advertise our AZM widely; we have auctions; we have seminars; we have a luncheon; we have door prizes; we hold our AZM in the Aviation Museum and our members come in droves.

The formula for a successful AZM has nothing to do with words like sport or recreation, it has to do with making the meeting attractive to the members.

As I mentioned earlier, someone suggested that you, who hold strong ideas on how MAAC should relate to modellers, particularly new ones, should work on a programme to attract the newcomers and retain them as members. Go for it - I will even volunteer to proof read your first draft and give input.

Richard Barlow
Old 10-26-2005, 06:43 PM
DSLarkin

Obviously I agree with Richard. I've just come back from our AZM and need to get on with the minutes! Putting on a really successful AZM requires a lot of thought and a lot of work. Personally, in my day as ZD, I found myself fully occupied with it for a run-up of six weeks. If someone is going to take the trouble to attend, we try to make it worth their while. I'm not talking about the freebies here: what I mean is that we have to give them an interesting and enjoyable day, as well as a chance to meet old friends. We try and get all the SIGs to come in and strut their stuff, competition or sport. We provide technical presentations. If we have anybody on an FAI team then they are expected to attend and show us what it is all about. Richard put on a highly succesful AGM because he worked hard at it and because he knows what he is doing. Sure, he had a lot of help, but that help has to be organized and put in place, and that takes a lot of work.

Ken, you know nothing about me and come up with the most ridiculous assertions. I'm basically a sport modeller, radio or free flight. I very occasionally attend a competition but am not a dyed-in-the-wool competition flyer. I also like slope soaring, vintage modelling, and any form of autogyro. I enjoy diesels, but I also use two and four stroke glows. My favourite engines are Lasers. I just have no use for people who are sport flyers and think they therefore have the right to put down competition flying. (I would feel the same way about a competition flyer who puts down sports flyers). I'm not part of any clique - I like all aspects of our hobby. And I like to teach aeromodelling and support beginners, preferably juniors, as I was helped when I started building planes.

If I did so much damage to MAAC, then why did I serve 5 years as a ZD and was always re-elected? Your comments are a bit rich for someone who didn't complete his term as ZD.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:06 PM
ronnieo1

ORIGINAL: DSLarkin

Obviously I agree with Richard. I've just come back from our AZM and need to get on with the minutes! Putting on a really successful AZM requires a lot of thought and a lot of work. Personally, in my day as ZD, I found myself fully occupied with it for a run-up of six weeks. If someone is going to take the trouble to attend, we try to make it worth their while. I'm not talking about the freebies here: what I mean is that we have to give them an interesting and enjoyable day, as well as a chance to meet old friends. We try and get all the SIGs to come in and strut their stuff, competition or sport. We provide technical presentations. If we have anybody on an FAI team then they are expected to attend and show us what it is all about. Richard put on a highly succesful AGM because he worked hard at it and because he knows what he is doing. Sure, he had a lot of help, but that help has to be organized and put in place, and that takes a lot of work.

Ken, you know nothing about me and come up with the most ridiculous assertions. I'm basically a sport modeller, radio or free flight. I very occasionally attend a competition but am not a dyed-in-the-wool competition flyer. I also like slope soaring, vintage modelling, and any form of autogyro. I enjoy diesels, but I also use two and four stroke glows. My favourite engines are Lasers. I just have no use for people who are sport flyers and think they therefore have the right to put down competition flying. (I would feel the same way about a competition flyer who puts down sports flyers). I'm not part of any clique - I like all aspects of our hobby. And I like to teach aeromodelling and support beginners, preferably juniors, as I was helped when I started building planes.

If I did so much damage to MAAC, then why did I serve 5 years as a ZD and was always re-elected? Your comments are a bit rich for someone who didn't complete his term as ZD.
Dave...you haven't caught on yet...Hotair knows nothng about anyone...just assumes....and when the kitchen gets hot, he bails out!! Ask Jim.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:49 PM
britbrat

Is there actually a point to all of this blather & backbiting? What the h*ll is going on here? MAAC or no MAAC, we are modellers & we like doing this stuff, including both casually, in competitions, & within, or outside of MAAC as well. How many of us & where we are is not really an issue, nor is whether we like to do it for the sheer joy of doing it, or whether we want to blow everbody else's sox off in competition. Nor is our ethnic origins a matter of great import.

If you want to fly without MAAC membership & security -- you can, quite legally. If you want to compete in a sanctioned event, you need to join MAAC. If you want to fly casually, but also want the security that MAAC membership brings, you can do that too, & no one will stop you from joining.

Constructive discussion is a great tool, but somehow this particular thread has become utterly useless in that regard (if it ever had any value to begin with). We are all brothers (& sisters) in this hobby, but you sure wouldn't know it. Everybody should take a pill & quit pi$$ing in each other's cornflakes --- go flying -- it's supposed to be fun.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Sharpy01

......... you ready for that hotel room in Montreal yet, Britty?

..... " all we are asking, is give peace a chance, all we are asking..." come on, join in.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:54 PM
gingertoad

Hey take it easy Patrick - Dave was defending me.

It was kinda nice to have backup!!!

Richard Barlow
Old 10-27-2005, 08:00 PM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01

......... you ready for that hotel room in Montreal yet, Britty?

..... " all we are asking, is give peace a chance, all we are asking..." come on, join in.

Oh Marc (blush, blush).

Damn -- I meant to edit out the bit about brothers & sisters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.