Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

I'm sick of MAAC

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

I'm sick of MAAC

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I'm sick of MAAC

... if anything, we've found another common interest.

I haven't owned a bike since I got married 10 years ago but, even then basic coverage was several hundred. A friend has been encouraging me to get back on a bike (and I must admit, the idea appeals to me) but, I understand insurance has astronomically increased.[:@]
Old 12-12-2005, 03:19 PM
gingertoad

"Motorcyclists of MAAC" - a new SIG, prospective members step forward.

I have been riding for 48 years. Current machine is a Yamaha FJ1200 sports/tourer. I have owned more bikes than I can remember. I also have a Honda "Cub", used for chasing errant free flight models. The FJ has been all over the continent, two up.

Insurance works out in MAAC to be about 12 or 13 bucks a member when you add up all the policies. I wish I could insure the FJ for that. The remainder of the dues are used for all sorts of other purposes. Pie charts are published at intervals showing the breakdown.

As for categorizing - As insurance chairman, I get asked that all the time. The basic problem is this:

My FJ is insured REGARDLESS of which licenced driver rides it. The machine is specified in the policy, not the rider. In MAAC, the modeller is covered REGARDLESS of the type of model he flies. The modeller is specified, not the model. Interests change, so trying to restrict modellers to models of a specific type is not practical. Besides, how do you categorize? By weight, by motive power.
Park flyers are safer than .40 powered sports R?/C models, but is an electric pylon racer doing 150mph a park flier? Is an FAI pattern flier as potentially dangerous as an elderly pensioner learning to fly with a .40 trainer? Where is the line drawn? Do not even try to go there, or it would start a new thread that would break all records.

To R/Cnerd, there is no attempt on my part to put you down or to belittle your concerns, but when Boards of Directors have weighed these considerations for decades, be assured that there are no simplistic solutions, or they would already be in force.

MAAC does a lot more than provide insurance. If that was all it did, the infrastructure of the organization would be one person, looking after things part time.

Richard Barlow.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:44 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blush to admit that I am also bikeless. my Honda CX 650 Turbo needed repairs & there was a fellow who would kill his mother to get it --- so---- [&:]

My favorite Dragon has seized the opportunity to veto a replacement. Since her turbo still works, it's best to avoid a biker war.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: gingertoad
"Motorcyclists of MAAC" - a new SIG, prospective members step forward.

I'd post a picture of my Virago but, the girl on it is not my wife so I'll have to clear that through "the war department" first.[&o]

It's amazing to me the common interests of the more involved modellers.... I also play guitar and dabble in math/physics/electronics/logic puzzles when not designing software systems (my livelihood/hobby) ... RC/nerd is a handle that could fit me.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Jason Holdaway

you guys are nuts! Them street bikes are too dangerous. My only street bike was a Honda, don't even remember. I think it was a 750. I like to stick with the offroad stuff, where I'm the one who decides how badly I get hurt, not some idiot on a cell phone. Haven't had a bike since......hmm....my daughter is nine.......nine years! Something about the baby needing a crib......perfectly good dresser drawers, and I had to waste money on a crib, that I might add, she doesn't even use anymore! I'm thinking about getting another offroader in the spring. Probably a 175. My last one was a KX250 and my little 150lbs doesn't throw it around too well on the offroad trails. Still have all my gear under the stairs, along with what's left of my SCUBA gear. Or depending on the overtime, I may pick up a snowmobile since I live in the snowbelt .
Old 12-12-2005, 05:40 PM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: Jason Holdaway

you guys are nuts! Them street bikes are too dangerous. My only street bike was a Honda, don't even remember. I think it was a 750. I like to stick with the offroad stuff, where I'm the one who decides how badly I get hurt, not some idiot on a cell phone. Haven't had a bike since......hmm....my daughter is nine.......nine years! Something about the baby needing a crib......perfectly good dresser drawers, and I had to waste money on a crib, that I might add, she doesn't even use anymore! I'm thinking about getting another offroader in the spring. Probably a 175. My last one was a KX250 and my little 150lbs doesn't throw it around too well on the offroad trails. Still have all my gear under the stairs, along with what's left of my SCUBA gear. Or depending on the overtime, I may pick up a snowmobile since I live in the snowbelt .

Shhhh--- Sandy-claws [:-] can hear you.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Jason Holdaway

she's not here! I can type whatever I want I have an idea that will solve all your problems Pa. Buy a nice bike, and I'll hide it here for you. Ma will never find it 6 hours away! And being the good son I am, I will run the engine for you every nice day to make sure it doesn't cease up!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:06 PM
r/cnerd

Well as far as the bike I was refering to an 125 enduro. Insurance is $75/yr.

And as far as everything else well......I dunno what to say!

The main thing I am complaining about is high entry cost. Even if an option existed to cover for one day for $15 or something, that could help. We need to attract members not push them away.

A conversation I've heard many times:

Setting:Hobby Shop

CUSTOMER: So where do you fly these things?
STAFF: Oh there's a club down by such and such, and another by whatchamicalit.
CUSTOMER: OK. Is it expensive?
STAFF: No, it's only $10, but you have to be a MAAC member.
CUSTOMER: What's MAAC?
STAFF: Oh, it's the Canadian model airplane club. It costs $100/year.
CUSTOMER:Huh...sounds like a big commitment considering I don't even know if I will enjoy the hobby or not....maybe I'll just give it a try and if I like it then I'll join.

This guy fails and decides our hobby sucks....Another lost customer

Would he go to the field if it was $10 for MAAC members and $20 for not (per day)?? I think he might.
Would he see how great the club was and join MAAC permanently? Maybe...

You can't make things hard for people. You have to attract them. Try to tell me MAAC would suffer with many more members. There has got to be a way to help people through the door, into our hobby rather than putting up obstacles for them.

And as far as the MAAC magazine some of you enjoy so much.....that's great, now why am I paying for it?????
Old 12-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Applehoney
My Feedback: (3)

>A conversation I've heard many times: Setting:Hobby Shop
What's MAAC?
>STAFF: Oh, it's the Canadian model airplane club. It costs $100/year.

But then, nerd, do you intercede on those many occasions and point out that it is NOT $100 a year but $75 ... and explain the real advantages of the organisation, the importance of insurance (and not expound on the many criticisms that you've voiced here from an apparently narrow personal viewpoint ) or just stand by and smile as another potential Member is lost ... ? At such times you have the opportunity to make a positive contribution to Canadian modeling... if you wish to make it.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

Bottom line is, we need the insurance coverage and $6.25 per month is a bargain. Following the politics of the whole organization is optional.

I have posted comments in the past that increased dues will cause some members to drop off and I still feel that this is the case, but if we can convince folks that they're getting their money's worth then this may not be the case.....therefore.....back to paragraph #1.

Ron O.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:21 AM
r/cnerd

You guys can defend all you want but I know many others who feel as I do. If you guys actually speak for MAAC, which would seem to be the case (since your so defensive to my ideas), then you should be listening to feedback and really considering the implications of how MAAC presents itself. Every quack like me represents a silent group who feel the same way. I'm not critcizing to attack MAAC or it's management, I am giving you valuable feedback of how you are perceived by those outside of the core. If you actually represent MAAC you should be appreciative of feedback even if it differs from your view.

Some Questions for the MAAC folks:

1) If the major impediment to a new flyer flying at a sanctioned site is insurance, and the insurance portion is only 15$ a year why doesn't MAAC offer the insurance without the other "perks". You could mark it up 50% to $30 a year, which I'm sure would be cosidered an excellent margin. Heck, it could even become a profit centre to subsidize the activities and what-not that are included in a full membership. BTW aside from the magazine which is not really of any interest to me I don't know what all the other stuff that MAAC does for me is, but I'm interested if anyone wishes to enlighten.

2) I would assume the Insurance rates are based on Acturaial data....are they? and if so is there any data that anyone could share which covers model airplane accidents and insurance claims for the past ? years? Has a 1 oz freeflight plane ever caused a pileup? And if it did would the owner really end up liable? Have there been many parkflyer incedents, both macc insured and not?

3) do you have any data re average age of MAAC members/predicted retirement/sucsession ages etc that show where MAAC is headed membership wise? Iguess wat I am asking is what's your ratio of members who are likely to be active for years to come versus those who are stepping down.

Please don't take my comments personnaly.....I want to discuss opinions not trade insults!

Old 12-13-2005, 08:55 AM
Jim_McIntyre

I can't say I'm a "MAAC representative", just a long time, active member.

You express some interesting thoughts that I have no issue with exploring, some of the quick dismissal you're seeing is likely because these issues are not new and have been discussed many times.

You simply can't please everyone and, if you want to tear down some of the services you ( as an individual ) have no use for, you will be negatively affecting other individuals; people like me.

A tiered membership as you propose has been discussed, it always tends to fail at the point of administration overheads and policing. Simply put, to establish and administer a tiered system would require more resources than MAAC currently has. More resources = greater costs = higher dues, the very thing you were trying to avoid....

I had similar issues with an amateur swimming club I belonged to, the dues were high for a kid my age and I saw no value in their magazine (except for the annual speedo edition ). It took a long time but, I eventually understood the need for it, and, did learn to appreciate it when I eventually began competing outside my own little local club and saw what the money was actually being used for.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:56 AM
bbbair

Jim is right, many of your questions have been discussed at length many times before and to a lot of us it's just rehashing a lot of old conversations.

That having been said, I find the logic of the high cost a little short sighted. The people that balk at the $75.00 for MAAC probably were not going to stay around anyway. These are the folks that think nothing of taking up Golf $1,200.00 for a Club membership, plus $100.00/month bar bill and then you buy golf clubs etc. Plan B is some kid that get his over stressed Mother to buy him a toy that he might maintain an interest in for a week or two... OK that's the NEGATIVE RANT,

Now onto the benefits of MAAC;
Insurance; $5 million, with world wide coverage. Yes you can go to Australia and fly MAAC will cover you. Plus there is the added benefit of a $5,000.00 deductable which MAAC will pay. Don't like it? OK go the AMA, they charge more and their insureance only kicks in AFTER your PERSONAL insurance has been exhausted. (ie a $2 Million claim and you coverage is only $500,000.00 the AMA will kick in the remaining $1.5 Mill)

Then there is all of the hidden stuff like the frequency management for out radios. Few realise that there are people out there that are trying to put pagers, baby monitors, taxi tadios etc onto the frequencies that our radios work on. The Goverment of Canada only talks to nationally recognized groups in order to preserve these frequencies for us - that would be MAAC.

The Magazine - has been legislated but the Corporations Act of Canada, as a method of dispursing information the the members (Not everyone has a computer you know). So it has to stay, and it's not that bad of magazine either.

It's scary I know, but MAAC and it's actions can be explained and justified once you step outside of you own field and look at the big picture. Just like everything from mandatory car insurance to polution controls and education standards.

Welcome to the Fantastic World of RC Modelling!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:47 AM
r/cnerd

:

1) If the major impediment to a new flyer flying at a sanctioned site is insurance, and the insurance portion is only 15$ a year why doesn't MAAC offer the insurance without the other "perks". You could mark it up 50% to $30 a year, which I'm sure would be cosidered an excellent margin. Heck, it could even become a profit centre to subsidize the activities and what-not that are included in a full membership. BTW aside from the magazine which is not really of any interest to me I don't know what all the other stuff that MAAC does for me is, but I'm interested if anyone wishes to enlighten.

What About this?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Jim_McIntyre

An apt analagy of the type of compromise you suggest, and in time for the season;

MEMO TO ALL EMPLOYEES
RE: Christmas PARTY ON DEC. 23RD
DATE: DEC. 1ST

I'm happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take place
on December 23, starting at noon in the banquet room at Luigi's Open Pit
Barbecue. No-host bar, but plenty of eggnog! We'll have a small band
playing traditional carols...feel free to sing along. And don't be surprised if
our CEO shows up dressed as Santa Claus! A Christmas tree will be lit at 1:00 P.M.
Exchange of gifts among employees can be done at that time, however, no
gift should be over $10.00 to make the giving of gifts easy for everyone's
pockets. This gathering is only for employees! A special announcement
will be made by our CEO at that time!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Patty

_____

TO: All Employees
DATE: December 2
RE: Holiday Party

In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees.

We recognize that Chanukah is an important holiday which often coincides
with Christmas, though unfortunately not this year. However, from now on
we're calling it our "Holiday Party." The same policy applies to
employees who are celebrating Kwanzaa at this time. There will be no Christmas
tree present. No Christmas carols sung. We will have other type of music for
your enjoyment.

Happy now?

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Patty

_____

DATE: December 3

Regarding the note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous
requesting a non-drinking table ... you didn't sign your name. I'm happy
to accommodate this request, but if I put a sign on a table that reads, "AA
Only"; you wouldn't be anonymous anymore. How am I supposed to handle
this? Somebody? Forget about the gifts exchange, no gifts exchange
are allowed since the union members feel that $10.00 is too much money
and executives believe $10.00 is very little for a gift.

_____

To: All Employees
DATE: December 7

What a diverse group we are! I had no idea that December 20 begins the
Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which forbids eating and drinking during
daylight hours. There goes the party! Seriously, we can appreciate how a
luncheon this time of year does not accommodate our Muslim employees'
beliefs. Perhaps Luigi's can hold off on serving your meal until the end
of the party - the days are so short this time of year - or else package
everything for take home in little foil swans. Will that work?

Meanwhile, I've arranged for members of Overeaters Anonymous to sit
farthest from the dessert buffet and pregnant women will get the table
closest to the restrooms. Gays are allowed to sit with each other.
Lesbians do not have to sit with Gay men, each will have their own table.
Yes, there will be flower arrangements for the Gay men's table.
To the person asking permission to cross dress, no cross dressing allowed.
We will have booster seats for short people. Low-fat food will be available
for those on a diet. We cannot control the salt used in the food. We suggest
for those people with high blood problems to taste first. There will be fresh
fruits as dessert for Diabetics, the restaurant cannot supply "No Sugar"
desserts. Sorry! Did I miss anything?

Patty

_____

DATE: December 8

So December 22 marks the Winter Solstice...what do you expect me to do,
a tap-dance on your heads? Fire regulations at Luigi's prohibit the
burning of sage by our "earth-based Goddess-worshiping" employees, but we'll try to
accommodate your shamanic drumming circle during the band's breaks.
Okay???

Patty

_____

To: All Employees
Date: December 9

People, people, nothing sinister was intended by having our CEO dress up
like Santa Claus! Even if the anagram of "Santa" does happen to be
"Satan," there is no evil connotation to our own "little man in a red suit." It's
a tradition, folks, like sugar shock at Halloween or family feuds over the
thanksgiving turkey or broken hearts on Valentine's Day.

Could we lighten up? Please????????? Also the company has changed their
mind in announcing the special announcement at the gathering. You will get a
notification in the mail sent to your home.

_____

TO: All #%&$**@ Employees
DATE: December 10
RE: The %#*&^%@*%^Holiday Party

I have no #%&*@*^ idea what the announcement is all about. What the
%#&^!@ do I care...I KNOW WHAT I AM GOING TO GET!!!!!!!!!!!! You change your
address now and you are dead!!!!!!!!!!!! No more changes of address will
be allowed in my office. Try to come in and change your address, I will
have you hung from the ceiling in the warehouse!!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarians!?!?!? I've had it with you people!!! We're going to keep
this party at Luigi's Open Pit Barbecue whether you like it or not, so you
can sit quietly at the table furthest from the "grill of death," as you so
quaintly put it, and you'll get your #$%^&*! salad bar, including hydroponic
tomatoes. But you know, they have feelings, too. Tomatoes scream when
you slice them. I've heard them scream. I'm hearing them scream right now!
HA !

I hope you all have a rotten holiday! Drive drunk and die, you hear
me!!!!!!!!!!!

The ***** from HELL!!!!!!!!

_____

DATE: December 14
RE: Patty Lewis and Holiday Party

I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing Patty Lewis a speedy recovery
from her stress-related illness and I'll continue to forward your cards to
her at the sanitarium. In the meantime, management has decided to cancel our
Holiday Party and give everyone the afternoon of the 23rd off with full
pay.
Happy Holidays!

Old 12-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Morison

ORIGINAL: bbbair
The Magazine - has been legislated but the Corporations Act of Canada, as a method of dispursing information the the members (Not everyone has a computer you know). So it has to stay, and it's not that bad of magazine either.
Not quite right - but close.
Our bylaws mandate notice of meeting for the Annual Zone meetings, Annual General meeting and notice of motion for the AGM. The association also sends out the results of the AGM, and notices of upcoming events. These could be sent out by lettermail (to my understanding, e-mail isn't yet recognised by Industry Canada as a valid method for notice of motion.)
The cost to the association to mail out these 4 mailings would come extremely close to, if not exceed, the cost of the magazine.

The magazine brings with it a wealth of information, which you may or may not want to read, event dates that are reasonably current, and becomes a cost effective venue for Canadian companies to advertise their businesses to canadian modelers. There is no other magazine that would allow a small canadian company to reach as many modellers for the cost that we can offer, and that is a part of the mandate of MAC mag.

This is yet another 'idea' that surfaces just about every year ... and is regularly examined.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:46 AM
r/cnerd

Humourous but irelevant.....My arguments have nothing to do with accomodating wackos.

So what about selling the club membership seperately from the insurance and using it as a profit centre?

Is there an alternate method of obtaining insurance that clubs accept?

Remember my "racket" comment....It's sounds a little funny that You have to be a member of a national club to join a local club to fly a toy plane! If MAAC is serious about promoting the hobby they need to open doors and think outside the box.

What about selling a daily membership? No-one has adressed this. People would pay a (relative) lot for this and it could also generate significant revenue.

I am a business person with a background in marketing and I know what I'm talking about. I read in MAAC mag that MAAC can't find funding to start up a little museum....ideas which would greatly increase cash flow and membership should be welcome.

people don't like commiting to /or buying things they're not sure if they'll use...the same guy who thinks $75 a year is too big of a commitment will gladly pay 15$ to be insured for a half-day. Think of the revenue this could generate. We are a society based on impulse buying. Let the market decide how people buy a product/service, then charge what you must for it to be worthwhile.

It's like cellphones, kinda....When the cell companies wanted everyone to get a cell, they started making it easier to get through the door. Free phones aren't free, but it works great as a marketing gimmick...who has $400 to buy a cell phone? likewise many options would be more palatable to today's consumer than the one membership option offered by MAAC.

If you think I really hate MAAC you are wrong. firstly I am a member, and second I am expressing my ideas because I think, no I know they have merit and are based on sound logic. It's easy to say "we talked about that it won't work" or "we tried that already" but my challenge to MAAC is to find ways to make ideas work to become more modern, progressive, beginner-friendly, inviting, and more cleverly marketed. I strongly believe that through the right choices (and my ideas may or may not be the right ones) MAAC could easily double it's membership and triple it's revenue stream. Before you laugh bear in mind I do have a vauge clue of what I'm talking about. I am a young guy, sitting at home on a Tues morning while my business makes me ennough $$ to keep me in style and support my multitudes of hobbies including RC cars boats planes and helis, 4X4ing, music, motocycles, camping, etc. I'm not bragging but trying to illustrate that I know a little something about business in the new economy and how to maximize sales, profit, and traffic in a business setting.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:49 AM
bbbair

ORIGINAL: r/cnerd

:

What About this?
What About it?

You obviously didn't understand what I just wrote. []

MAAC provides insurance as a part of it's range of services, unfortunately this is a package deal. You have to take the core services that apply to everyone, you do not get to pick and choose like at a buffet.

IF MAAC stops talking to the Federal government then the frequencies will be taken over by industry, then you will be limited to free flight, control line or travelling so far out of town that only the crows can find you.

As to the other functions like competitions etc - you are quite correct, you do not have to participate and it is a pain to support them. But they are just a small part of the package and someday - if you stay in the hobby and decide to grow beyond you current interests, you will have options available to you.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:50 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

You guys can defend all you want but I know many others who feel as I do. If you guys actually speak for MAAC, which would seem to be the case (since your so defensive to my ideas), then you should be listening to feedback and really considering the implications of how MAAC presents itself. Every quack like me represents a silent group who feel the same way. I'm not critcizing to attack MAAC or it's management, I am giving you valuable feedback of how you are perceived by those outside of the core. If you actually represent MAAC you should be appreciative of feedback even if it differs from your view.

Some Questions for the MAAC folks:

2) I would assume the Insurance rates are based on Acturaial data....are they? and if so is there any data that anyone could share which covers model airplane accidents and insurance claims for the past ? years? Has a 1 oz freeflight plane ever caused a pileup? And if it did would the owner really end up liable? Have there been many parkflyer incedents, both macc insured and not?

3) do you have any data re average age of MAAC members/predicted retirement/sucsession ages etc that show where MAAC is headed membership wise? Iguess wat I am asking is what's your ratio of members who are likely to be active for years to come versus those who are stepping down.

Please don't take my comments personnaly.....I want to discuss opinions not trade insults!

I think paragraph #3 asks the most important question in your post, where IS MAAC headed membership wise? I think the ratio of MAAC flyers to non-MAAC flyers a generation ago was actually quite high when compared to today. In short, you got into the hobby and a MAAC membership was part of the deal so to speak. Today, this is not the case and it may have something to do with the costs involved to join MAAC but I think it goes deeper than that. There are a substantial number of fellows out there that have no desire to fly in a 'club' atmosphere and therefore have no need or desire to join the association.

Although it may appear that I am defending MAAC in a previous post this is not the case, I am only defending the VALUE of what you get for your $75, regardless of WHO you were to buy the insurance from. Go out and try to personally buy the coverage affored by MAAC membership, even IF (and it is a BIG if) you can buy it personally, you will pay more.

If you were to follow this whole dues increase issue over the last number of months you would see that my feeling are that the increase in dues was poorly managed and could have been accomplished with lot less backlash. To not have an increase for years and then bump the dues 30% was likely an error. A small increase every year to accomplish the same end result may have met with little or no resistance....is all in the perception of the whole issue, not the issue itself.

Ron O.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Humourous but irelevant.....My arguments have nothing to do with accomodating wackos.

So what about selling the club membership seperately from the insurance and using it as a profit centre?

Is there an alternate method of obtaining insurance that clubs accept?

Remember my "racket" comment....It's sounds a little funny that You have to be a member of a national club to join a local club to fly a toy plane! If MAAC is serious about promoting the hobby they need to open doors and think outside the box.

What about selling a daily membership? No-one has adressed this. People would pay a (relative) lot for this and it could also generate significant revenue.

I am a business person with a background in marketing and I know what I'm talking about. I read in MAAC mag that MAAC can't find funding to start up a little museum....ideas which would greatly increase cash flow and membership should be welcome.

people don't like commiting to /or buying things they're not sure if they'll use...the same guy who thinks $75 a year is too big of a commitment will gladly pay 15$ to be insured for a half-day. Think of the revenue this could generate. We are a society based on impulse buying. Let the market decide how people buy a product/service, then charge what you must for it to be worthwhile.

It's like cellphones, kinda....When the cell companies wanted everyone to get a cell, they started making it easier to get through the door. Free phones aren't free, but it works great as a marketing gimmick...who has $400 to buy a cell phone? likewise many options would be more palatable to today's consumer than the one membership option offered by MAAC.

If you think I really hate MAAC you are wrong. firstly I am a member, and second I am expressing my ideas because I think, no I know they have merit and are based on sound logic. It's easy to say "we talked about that it won't work" or "we tried that already" but my challenge to MAAC is to find ways to make ideas work to become more modern, progressive, beginner-friendly, inviting, and more cleverly marketed. I strongly believe that through the right choices (and my ideas may or may not be the right ones) MAAC could easily double it's membership and triple it's revenue stream. Before you laugh bear in mind I do have a vauge clue of what I'm talking about. I am a young guy, sitting at home on a Tues morning while my business makes me ennough $$ to keep me in style and support my multitudes of hobbies including RC cars boats planes and helis, 4X4ing, music, motocycles, camping, etc. I'm not bragging but trying to illustrate that I know a little something about business in the new economy and how to maximize sales, profit, and traffic in a business setting.
If you have that much knowledge of marketing and business voluteer in the association and make a difference, posting here will change very little.

Although understand that MAAC does currently have members on the board who run sucessful businesses and these issues have been brought up before.

Forward your ideas to the board I am sure they will be more than happy to address your ideas and concerns with more information than the average member can provide.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:06 PM
r/cnerd

ORIGINAL: bbbair

:

What About this?
What About it?

You obviously didn't understand what I just wrote. []

MAAC provides insurance as a part of it's range of services, unfortunately this is a package deal. You have to take the core services that apply to everyone, you do not get to pick and choose like at a buffet.

IF MAAC stops talking to the Federal government then the frequencies will be taken over by industry, then you will be limited to free flight, control line or travelling so far out of town that only the crows can find you.

As to the other functions like competitions etc - you are quite correct, you do not have to participate and it is a pain to support them. But they are just a small part of the package and someday - if you stay in the hobby and decide to grow beyond you current interests, you will have options available to you.
That's some great fear-mongering....but I don't think the sky would fall without MAAC to lobby on our behalf. Everyday new technology makes freq. conflicts more and more a thing of the past. As well RC is an INDUSTRY so stop painting industry as the adversary.

AS far as picking and choosing not being an option, well that's fine but is not customer friendly. The way most businesses handle people who only want a portion of a product or service is to charge more for what they do want, not to shut them out...Would Wendy's say that Fries are only avail. with a combo or would they just charge a price where it's worth it either way?

As far as all those great activities and competitions: tHose who are using should pay, not everyone else.

reo thanks for actually listening to my concerns and ideas. You can see my concern with aging membership in the existing structure. I'm a young(ish) guy and I'm talking about getting more new young members, which should be a mAAC goal!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

We will not know if something will work, if we don't try.

Personally, I enjoy hearing some new ideas for a change, particularly from someone who knows what they are talking about. Chad's response is typical in that there is a perception that we are not allowed to discuss any form of change.......!QUOT!get involved!QUOT! mantra is tiring because getting involved in a bloated bureaucratic system and effecting change is impossible if you haven't managed to garner some support at the ground floor.

Parallels could be drawn with the barely existent heath care debate. Despite the fact that the system is enormously expensive, top-heavy with bureaucratic fear mongering fat-cats and ranked near the bottom in developed countries of the world, politicians are afraid to tackle or even discuss it for fear the frightened masses will politically Lynch them.

Steer the same course regardless of reality and it's probable that someday, someone like RCnerd will be competing directly with MAAC for it's members.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:50 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sharpy01

We will not know if something will work, if we don't try.

Personally, I enjoy hearing some new ideas for a change, particularly from someone who knows what they are talking about. Chad's response is typical in that there is a perception that we are not allowed to discuss any form of change.......!QUOT!get involved!QUOT! mantra is tiring because getting involved in a bloated bureaucratic system and effecting change is impossible if you haven't managed to garner some support at the ground floor.
Quite true however, discussion and talk is only part of the equation...most of the board does not read this, and involvement is the only true way to have any hope of effecting change....random anonymous postings on a public forum is simply not going to go anywhere....time and again this fact is shown.

If you really feel something is wrong or needs changing, get involved and change it.....if your ideas have merit then the board will listen.

Its universal throughout any organization.....if you really want to change something you need to be involved....that can be as simple as a proposal at a zone meeting or as in depth as serving on the BOD.

You yourself took this approach Marc and effected change for your zone (boundaries comes to mind) through involvement, so dont criticize me for making a statement that you yourself obviously believed in and followed.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Jim_McIntyre

... I don't think the sky would fall without MAAC to lobby on our behalf. Everyday new technology makes freq. conflicts more and more a thing of the past. As well RC is an INDUSTRY so stop painting industry as the adversary.
"I don't think" ... exactly.

The states are already in trouble with some frequency sharing issues, why? because the AMA blinked (imho). We are not far behind on that path and, if MAAC blinks, we will all be looking to replace our significant investments in equipment. Equipment, I might add, that doesn't exist as a commercial product yet except for land vehicles and park flyers .... why? Because it's not as reliable, especially at distance.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Further, MAAC has been active in having even this equipment approved for use in Canada .... another example of your dollars at work...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.