Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

Auctioning off the Radio Spectrum.

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

Auctioning off the Radio Spectrum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auctioning off the Radio Spectrum.

After reading an article in the latest MAAC magazine, and hearing that auctioning off parts of the radio spectrum generated billions of dollars, I wondered what the feasibility would be for the RC community to allow our reserved spectrum to be auctioned off provided that bidder was obliged to replace all our Tx's and Rx's with 2.4 gear.

Good idea? Bad idea?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 AM
TFF

Default RE: Auctioning off the Radio Spectrum.

It would be great for the government, but RC would not get any money from it, RC use is granted not bought. It would be bad for me as I dont plan to change over until I have too. I think 2.4 is cool but it is low usage right now, when everyone(common users not rc) is transmitting on it you might not have an opening so you are getting blocked out from flying when on 72 you just walk over to your buddy and ask for the pin. That is pretty extreem and probably wont happen, but I see the Gove waiting to see ifevery one is buying 2.4 and then saying," Sense everyone is on 2.4 we will close 72."
Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are exactly correct, It's going to happen. mm
Old 08-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Time Pilot

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

You are exactly correct, It's going to happen. mm
But before it does, is it possible a deal could be reached? I was just curious if being proactive could get us some benefits rather than having to take what we get.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

do you guys always assume?

Think about it, a hundred million 72Mhz radios out there and you guys think they're just going to allocate the frequency's to something else []

What exactly do you think they would do with them? The largest danger is complacency and this is happening right now at events.
Help establish a consistent approach for 72Mhz users so we do not help statistically if it ever gets to the table.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Time Pilot

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Think about it, a hundred million 72Mhz radios out there and you guys think they're just going to allocate the frequency's to something else []

What exactly do you think they would do with them? The largest danger is complacency and this is happening right now at events.
Help establish a consistent approach for 72Mhz users so we do not help statistically if it ever gets to the table.
I wasn't assuming we'd ever lose it. I just think it's a matter of time that 2.4 is the norm. It may take 20 years, but I can see it going that way, just like computer radios are becoming the norm. If the spectrum is worth a billion, why not take it now rather than get zero for it later. Take the billion and buy every MAAC member new radios; send the old ones in, get new ones in return.

As a 72mhz user, I'm getting more and more paranoid all the time, especially now companies like Parkzone are selling systems on that frequency. It used to be that there was some kind of mentoring that went on and pilots understood about frequency conflicts. Not so much anymore, especially in the park flier realm. 2.4 also introduces another opportunity for 'stupid', especially for those who use both types of radiosturning on a 72mhz radio, forgetting it wasn't the 2.4

It was simply a question: if business is willing to pay for our new equipment, would that be something to pursue....
Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 AM
perpetualrepair

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

that's exactly what the CBers thought, and Ham Operators have been constantly working to keep the frequencies they have for years,
If the IC sees a drop in usage you can bet they will try and re-allocate.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:49 PM
byrocat

Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the frequency allocation given to RC models is SECONDARY. We are not the primary and exclusive users of the frequencies. In fact, we're sitting between licensed frequencies.

Essesntailly, if there is interference between RCers and a license user (eg, power cranes in factories), one guess as to who has to move off of those frequencies?

It's the guys sitting in front of their keyboards.

Read the MAAC website Frequency committee documents and you'll see what I mean.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 PM
trumpet20
My Feedback: (4)

Hello:
There is no move by Industry Canada or the FCC in the U.S. to auction off the present alloted R/C bands. In fact it has not come up for discussion at any of the MAAC or AMA meetings.
Thanks,
Mark.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:40 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

To my understanding, any potential buyer of the frequencies we posess wants to know it's previous owners use, and when they find out that the entire country is using it at any field or park across the country, no bidder is going to want the frequencies. Look at it this way, they would buy it knowing and having the same fear we have of other fliers "turning on" while they are liscenced to use and own it. Much too risky for any bidder to want these frequencies, plus, since 2.4 is mass produced for all kinds of communications, they would rather skip buying the frequencies and invest in 2.4 comm systems. I know that in my town, I personally know about 12 fliers and at least 8 still use 72, so that is 8 potential conflicts to the new owners of the freq's, multiply that by every town and state and before you know it, it just adds up to a bad investment for any buyer.I will see 2.4 take over, not because the government is fazing it out, but manufactures will, sure parts for 72 systems will be available, but no tx's, in the drive to have leading edge tech, they will all start promotoing 2.4 only and support the last generation of their own crystaled radios. So when I see that happen, I'm buying a bunch of recievers and radios because the way I see it, I'll be the only one left using 72 mhz.