Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

f-86 sabre goldenhawks color scheme

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

f-86 sabre goldenhawks color scheme

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default f-86 sabre goldenhawks color scheme

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone up in my native land could help me. I am in the process of getting ready to paint my BVM F-86 in the goldenhawks (1963) era color scheme. I was wondering if any body would no what color gold paint would be a close match to the original Sheffield Luxor pale gold powder that they originally used. I would also like a good match to the red and blue colors also, i will be using PPG brand automotive paints. Any HELP!!!!! would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24006.jpg
Views:	1191
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1550917  
Old 01-21-2011, 01:43 PM
hetr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: f-86 sabre goldenhawks color scheme

greetings
you may have already seen this since you mention Sheffield Gold powder, but just in case l found the following, and keep in mind that the dupont paint codes should probably be convertable to a PPG equivalent?

check out:
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/index.php?topic=Paint

Thursday, June 24 2010 @ 08:58 PM EDT
Contributed by: Kevin Horton
Views: 241

I’ve had several requests for details on the paint colours used on my Golden Hawk paint scheme.

The gold on the original Golden Hawks wasn’t paint - it was Sheffield Luxor Pale Gold powder from the Sheffield Bronze company mixed in clear lacquer - One pound three ounces of powder per Imperial Gallon of lacquer. The gold powder was dissolved in cellulose nitrate thinner before mixing with the lacquer. Three coats were used. The white on the original Golden Hawks was Dupont Dulux White - DU246-1497. The red was Dupont Dulux Red - DU93-2622R. The blue for some lettering was Dupont Dulux Blue - DU93-24160. All the original paint info is from RCAF drawing 5212 “AEROBATIC MARKING SABRE (F-86) ACFT†revision C6, dated March 1961.

All paints used on my aircraft are from the Dupont AF400 aviation Imron family. The gold is Antique Gold Metallic - P1165 - it was chosen after looking at dozens of colour pictures of the Golden Hawks. The apparent colour of the original aircraft varied quite a bit depending on the lighting, and perhaps on the accuracy of the colour reproduction. Antique Gold seemed to be the best overall match. The white is Matterhorn White - AF402. The red is Flag Red - P1202. The white and red were chosen because they were extremely close matches to the Dupont paint colours on the original RCAF paint scheme drawings.

I hope to have the aircraft on display at the Vintage Wings airshow on 4 July. The plan is that after their Golden Hawk Sabre finishes its flying display, they will park it next to my aircraft. It will be interesting to see how the colours compare when the two aircraft are side by side.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 PM
hetr

and aslo just in case you may not have been aware there should be a LOT of great new clear, and detailed pics of this paint scheme (and plane) available now as Vintage Wings of Canada in Ottawa/Gatineau re-did their sabrejet in the Goldenhawks scheme for the anniversary of flight last year!

http://www.vintagewings.ca/page?a=19&lang=en-CA

fyi.... the Vintage Wings Hawk One was painted by the Canadian Forces at CFB Comox.
As many know the GoldenHawks scheme anyways ....... check out the attached pic of their CF-18 fresh out of the paint shop that they painted to fly alongside Hawk One!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21703.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1550942  
Old 01-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Greg Wright

Hi hetr , i did send a e-mail to kevin awhile ago and did have this info already.Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM
vonJaerschky
My Feedback: (3)

If you want really good, large, sharp, and clear photos of Hawk One, then go to the Canadian Forces Combat Camera website , and in the photo search enter "Sabre". You might as well crawl into the cockpit with the pilot.

As far as the aircraft being painted here in Comox, I am fairly certain that did not happen. The Sabre didcome here with the Snowbirds for their annual 3 week practice session in 2009, but that is the first time it was here. There is another "Hawk One", and that is a CF-101B Voodoo that sits on a pedestal outside the main gate. That one I'm sure was painted by the guys here.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Greg Wright

Thanks but that does not answer my questions.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 PM
vonJaerschky
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Greg Wright

Thanks but that does not answer my questions.
Sorry, had a bit of a hissy fit. In any case, you could take some of those photos and try and match it at an auto shop. Failing that, get hold of Vintage Wings directly and ask them. Maybe they can help or put you in touch with the paint shop. Chances are nobody on the forum knows exactly what paint was used, so go to the source.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
rhall999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend getting in touch with Vintage Wings and talking to them. If that doesn't work, you could try talking to the folks at CFB Cold Lake AB. That is where the painting was done. I believe there was a fellow by the name of Mr. Jim Belliveau involved. He is the man who does the paint designs for the CF-18 Demo Hornets, including the nice blue, gold, and white one in the photo above.