Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

Park Flyers Vs MAAC Insurance.

Community
Search
Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

Park Flyers Vs MAAC Insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Park Flyers Vs MAAC Insurance.

I'm gonna open a can o worms here. Its an issue here in BC.

From what I understand MAAC doesn't cover us if we fly our lil foam park flyers at a public park. We pay for insurance yet it doesn't cover us unless it is a sanctioned field. Am I insured if I take my Pluma to the local baseball diamond? Not according to MAAC. Why is this? Seems an oversight if you asked me because if we fly at a park you'd attract more people into the hobby as those parks are more visable to the public and hence more dues for MAAC.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Park Flyers Vs MAAC Insurance.

It is realy not that difficult to understand. It is not the MAAC that makes insurance rules, it is the insurance company. Consider this. Uncontrolled flying of model airplanes in public parks. Who decides what size? No defined flying areas, no safety warnings or barriers of any sort. People walking dogs, youngsters running around doing what they do. Would any sensible person consider this a safe mix?

Add to the above, many municipalities have bye-laws in place banning model airplanes in public parks. Certainly no ''Oversight" on the part of the MAAC.

Ed s
Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Deerslayer

OK, I will bite! (Or get bitten!)

Disclaimer: I am neither a MAAC Executive member, nor am I associated with any insurance-related organization. So, here is the way I see it, solely from a r/c pilot's perspective - one who is thankful to have any insurance protection at all.

We (MAAC members) are not a big catch for an insurance company! Let's face it, we are small in number, there is accordingly a relatively high (per capita) potential for expensive payouts, and not a lot of control over the whole activity of flying our machines. Not a lot of potential to make huge returns on insuring us! Our numbers are so small that it is more of a crap shoot than a statistically valid assessment of risk and liability.

I would not for a moment want to take on the daunting task that our Insurance Committee does to negotiate our existing insurance coverage!

As with any business, the supplier of services or product tries to minimize the potential for loss by putting in place mitigating systems and controls and limit the scope of coverage. Hence, the strict requirement for field layout, protective fencing, a Safety Code, etc. Little to none of this exists in the park, the local parking lot - or in my own back yard, for that matter.
I live on a large bay, no close neighbours, and I fly both on floats and skis (some fairly large planes, all glow fuel) whenever I feel like it.

Why should I expect someone else to underwrite my situation when I fly under such conditions? I have never been under any illusion - over 25+ years - that if I screw the pooch and damage a boat or building (or person!), that MAAC's insurance will be there to pay off. I cannot understand why folks seem to find this to be an unacceptable situation, and that we should somehow be treated better. I may be covered by my property insurance - or at least it is up to me to see if I am.

I have no reason to want to pay (double? triple? or much more) to have the MAAC insurance cover me for these activities. And, I certainly will not pay more so that others can fly in a totally uncontrolled environment, with the public in close proximity and be protected nevertheless.

As for attracting more people into the hobby - that is another issue, I think, not a function of providing hugely expensive insurance, which will likely make it even less encourging for someone to join MAAC, or our Clubs.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:22 PM
AndyW

It would be easy to spend 2,000 dollars on the hobby in any one year. Ten percent of that is 200 dollars. I'd pay that, for full coverage. Just drop the MAAC mag and all the other unnecessary expenses. Like wages, office rent, etc. etc. Our club encountered a nasty situation of a renegade member, some 15 years ago. I was left alone to try and deal with it. I got ZILCH help from MAAC. I started the club some 40 years ago when there had never been a club there before. I'm now a lone flyer and my homeowner policy covers me fully. I have that in writing.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 PM
ARTP47

Park flyers are welcomed down south Less MAAC the better.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:02 PM
AndyW

Maybe we need an organization like Sport Flyers of Canada and just get insurance.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Revy

Ed,Deerslayer, I fully understand what you are saying. We don't want to pay for some yahoo flying an overpowered/sized machine at a public park. Those dummies are everywhere. What I would like from MAAC is maybe some guidance on what size/ type of aircraft would be acceptable. That way if he/she/they/it got hurt/damaged by say a .25 size plane or larger your not covered. As for the dogs, keep it high enough they can't jump and catch it, lol.

What it means as well is I can't fly my float plane at my cottage (in theory) , float guys....
Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 PM
AndyW

That's an excellent suggestion. Engine size, or motor size and flying weight should cover it. But some 1/2As go hell bent for leather at 32K plus. So can an electric. And you could say, well, use some common sense but as I found out back then, sense isn't so common. There's ALWAYS some *&^%$# mentality out there that's just itching for trouble.

So I guess the situation, as it now stands, is the only solution.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Revy

Can MAAC sanction more than one venue for a club? For example, so the underwriters won't have conniptions, allow a recognized club's members to fly a certain type aircraft at a certain location other than their primary sanctioned field. I am talking foamies or other light slo-flyers. The hobby has changed a bit since some of those laws were written.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Deerslayer

ORIGINAL: RevyMaxx

Can MAAC sanction more than one venue for a club? For example, so the underwriters won't have conniptions, allow a recognized club's members to fly a certain type aircraft at a certain location other than their primary sanctioned field. I am talking foamies or other light slo-flyers. The hobby has changed a bit since some of those laws were written.
Yes, they can. In our Club, we have registered a specific location where we have one or two Club float fly's each year, plus a location for indoor flying (may change, year to year, so we have to re-register).

Unlike bashing around in public parks, etc., the flying at both locations has some controls, i.e., following safety guidelines (as explained in the Pilots' Meeting prior to flying that day), frequency control for 72 MHz, separating incompatible kinds of flying activities, limitations on size/power when appropriate (such as maximum size heli allowed for indoor flying) and just plain common sense. I think that is what having reasonable insurance coverage, at affordable prices, requires. It is not that hard to do. Everyone has fun.

As for flying elsewhere, check your home-owner policy. They MAY cover you. Or, they may say something like, "Are you nuts?"
Old 11-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Revy

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

Yes, they can. In our Club, we have registered a specific location where we have one or two Club float fly's each year, plus a location for indoor flying (may change, year to year, so we have to re-register).

Unlike bashing around in public parks, etc., the flying at both locations has some controls, i.e., following safety guidelines (as explained in the Pilots' Meeting prior to flying that day), frequency control for 72 MHz, separating incompatible kinds of flying activities, limitations on size/power when appropriate (such as maximum size heli allowed for indoor flying) and just plain common sense. I think that is what having reasonable insurance coverage, at affordable prices, requires. It is not that hard to do. Everyone has fun.

As for flying elsewhere, check your home-owner policy. They MAY cover you. Or, they may say something like, "Are you nuts?"
That defines a a club meet, which I know you can get coverage for. Its the "bashing" (I use that term when I'm kickin' the snot outta my monster truck, not flyin') at a public park by yourself when the oportunity to get a few flights in arises. We all can't get to our clubs to fly as busy schedules dictate other priorities. Why do we get lil foamies and park-flyers then? Admit it we've all flown where MAAC wouldn't cover us if there was something to happen. Has it? Not to me, yet. The chances are there, but slim, especially w/2.4gHz and proper care of equipment. Who here has been hit by an indoor job? Does it hurt? Only in the wallet.

Now a certain type, weight and power as well as operational guidlines is what I would like to see from our governing body. Not allowed period is too easy for them. We want and can make it safe, so lets make them change the policy. Do we make a list of the parks that would be acceptable as to avoid the non-sanctioned clause? I'm refering to baseball diamonds, football and track and field fascilities, not congested busy parks. Ones with some control, ie a fence etc.

Obviously if something were to happen, there would be some sort of official investigation by the police. MAAC's underwriter could base their decision on that claim by said investigation.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:52 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes this is a VERY good question because we also do indoor flying in Revelstoke and the only way it looks like we get covered for indoor is if we sanction every evening that we fly, this is a pain in the but. Iheard that Vernon's club had to setup a completely separete club for indoor flying just because of this. (I don't know how true this is) Our field is registered and insured but the gymnasium that we fly at is not. I'm gona ask Steve Huges (Our zone director) to jump in here and help with this thread. These are serious questions that need attention. Thanks for bringin it up Jason.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I would encourage you to contact your Zone Director directly, you may be surprised what can be done with a little effort. What works for a small town may not work for a larger center. We want to enjoy our hobby and do it as safe as possible. As the founder of the Vernon Indoor Flying Club I would be happy to share facts with you!

Normally one would ask questions and be unhappy with the answers before assuming a problem and then asking a question

Sanctioning an event takes minutes!

Don't land inverted [X(]
Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Revy

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

I would encourage you to contact your Zone Director directly, you may be surprised what can be done with a little effort. What works for a small town may not work for a larger center. We want to enjoy our hobby and do it as safe as possible. As the founder of the Vernon Indoor Flying Club I would be happy to share facts with you!

Normally one would ask questions and be unhappy with the answers before assuming a problem and then asking a question

Sanctioning an event takes minutes!

Don't land inverted [X(]

I was under the impression from fellow MAAC members that it was an issue.

I just got of the phone with our Z.D. and he answered all of our clubs questions.

You CAN get your club to sanction alternate permanent locations, such as public parks if certain criteria are in place.

I am really impressed with our guy out here representing us. He is great at finding solutions and is more than willing to help out.

Steve, you da man!