RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   M.A.A.C. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m-c-350/)
-   -   What is up at RCCanada ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m-c-350/10741057-what-up-rccanada.html)

Wayne Miller 09-29-2011 03:40 PM

What is up at RCCanada ?

I could not find a forum specifically set up for Canadians, but I see most Canadian comments are being posted here under “MAAC” as a common Canadian thread, please excuse me if this is the wrong place. Just let me know where it should be posted if posting here is a problem.
==================

Hi,

I’m having a hard time understanding what is happening at RCCanada and apparently others have as well, see another thread here on the MAAC Forum:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10108581.

An explanation is in order so you will have a better understanding of the title of this thread.

During the last few visits to RCCanada I found that for some reason a bunch of “Unread Threads” were being tacked on to my “New Posts” whenever I selected “New Posts.

This “new feature” created many pages of unwanted posts being displayed when I only wanted to view the actual new posts. I assumed some sort of programming bug had surfaced and need to be corrected. As a result I started a thread on the site to identifying the problem to the administrator. Several other members posted to the thread stating they noticed the problem as well, and commented that they did not like it.

Apparently, and unknown to me, this subject had been discussed previously.

Very shortly after I had started the thread I was contacted by the administrator privately and received the following message:
“Its 10:30 am and the first post I am reading in the morning is yours which is the current typical negative BS I am seeing from you.
I hope thats your last for a while as this is the first and last warning. Want to rock boats, goto the harbor.”

I was banned from the site. Apparently many experienced modellers have been banned for such trivial things, no wonder the knowledge available at the site is becoming more and more limited.

Those who know me, or have followed my posts, you know I do not post “negative BS” and I typically post answers to other’s questions, or supply clarification on how to use tools and equipment. As far as I am concerned the above comment was completely out of line and baseless.

It is difficult for me to understand the above strange reaction to pointing out something so minor as a potential bug that should have been fixed. There was nothing in any of my posts that should have solicited such an aggressive response. Quite frankly I personally found the wording of the above very offensive, his response very childlike, similar to a bully, and over reactive to the situation.

I would have thought a diplomatic post in the thread explaining his position, and asking for members’ understanding would have been much more effective, acceptable and appropriate method of dealing with the situation, when pointing out what I thought was a bug to him. Obviously, I must have unintentionally, and unknowingly, struck something that was very sensitive to him. Why? I don’t know.

I have specifically posted here since I’ve been advised that any open discussion on RC Canada would most likely result in the thread being locked, or deleted, and chances are that anyone who posted in the thread there may be subject to banning as well.

I’m sure there must be others who have had similar experiences with the site administrator. At the last rally I attended I was surprised how many others have been banned or are dissatisfied with the site.

If you have had a problem with the site, or the administrator, I’d like to hear from you and find out how you handled it.

Thanks for your time.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Ed Smith 09-30-2011 05:52 AM

RE: What is up at RCCanada ?

Hi Wayne,

I was highly amused by your RC Canada experience. When the site was taken over by the current administration I lasted just about a week before I was banned. My reaction was- "Oh dear me, what a loss"!

Regards,

Ed S

Revy 10-03-2011 08:53 AM

Same here Wayne. I guess I touched a nerve as I was banned for making sure that RCRick made good with his promise of a redraw with the first "givaway". I just asked him to redraw after about a week of him hummin' and hawin' about it. He said I publicly called him a scammer in latter posts. Certainly looked that way but I never called him that until I got banned. Even ForumMedia was unsure as to why I got banned. I couldn't see what he was saying about me until I came back under a different user name. I was not amused when I saw how he interpreted the situation. <div>
</div><div>My theory is he is some Tween who has let the admin power go to his head and now suffers from some sort of megalomania. Sad because there has been a tonne of experienced modelers who were kicked out. </div>

Wayne Miller 10-08-2011 07:19 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

I think originally we all liked, and always enjoyed, having “our own” Canadian site, and I’m sure that we all felt we were part of the growing site as much as being part of a “family”, and as such everyone always wanted it to do well, we all supported the site and as a result it did do well.

The membership was always able to discuss things in the open. It was a great place to go visit and get to know other Canadian modelers, share our knowledge, offer suggestions and even to socialize a little.

However, this was before the site was bought, and before the many advertising ads started to show up. Before that time you always felt you were a “contributor” just by helping other modelers. Then we were asked to “pay” and become a site contributor, then you would be identified as a site contributor.

The only problem I have with members “paying” is that the people who do most of the work, and the people who I admire most, that is, the moderators, don’t get any share of the contributions. I personally made up my mind that I would only pay money if I knew the moderators got their fair share for the work they do.

As far as the current bannings, I must admit that I’m concerned that banning now seems to be the norm for even the most trivial of things, and seems to be the way the new administrator likes to discipline those who are “thinkers”, who express their views, who question his views or point out even the most minor problems with the site. I guess by banning, having the last word then locking the thread makes him “always right”. I think the word “bully” might fit in there somewhere.

Unfortunately, the current administrator seems to take even the most minute suggestions, or minor constructive criticisms, as personal attacks against him – no one seems to know why. I personally would think that he would have been confident enough to listen to the membership’s point of view, and not let minor things bother him. The biggest negative side effect to his bannings of his members, is that they are forced to switch from his site and search the web for other modeling sites. The people who were forced to switch have quickly found other sites that are much more progressive, tolerant, that followed the site rules, have larger followings and do not have administrators that ban for no justifiable reason.

In response to the previous post, although I don’t think he is a “tween”, but I do think he has a very childlike attitude with questionable business ethics similar to what one would see on television soap operas that are not found in the professional business world.

The new administrator seems to take credit for the number of daily visits he gets to “his” site. From what I’ve seen, he never gives credit to the previous administrator who actually built the site, who attracted the original membership and created the membership numbers to the level it is today.

The previous administrator’s professionalism, understanding and ability to positively interact with the membership and listen to their suggestions, was the major reasons we all went to the site. Not only did the site share valuable knowledge between members, but there was also a sense of comradeship and of us belonging. At the beginning, we all knew the old administrator was “the boss” and to my knowledge he never did flaunt, or misuse, his authority and as such he was well respected by all.

I notice a new Canadian site is coming –let’s keep an eye on it and hope it does well.

Any other thoughts on the subject?

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

aspeed 10-26-2011 07:56 AM

Hi Wayne.  Yes I can vouch for your integrity.  You are a good boy.  Likely the best president at the club too.  Not to offend the others of course.  What is this new site called, and when will/did it start?    I can't say I have had any problems with their site recently, although I kind of remember them begging for subscriptions a while ago.  I post there a fair bit and haven't got kicked out    yet.

Wayne Miller 10-26-2011 08:42 AM

Hi Aspeed,

Thanks for your kind words.

I'm not sure if I can post a link directly to the site here, but in post number 1 of this thread there is a link, follow that liink to the thread and go to post number 50. The site is in that post but does not show as a link. Remember the site is just startiing and so it will be a while before it gets up to speed.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Wayne Miller 11-22-2011 06:18 AM

Hi,

Here is another post regarding the site:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10784562

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Tracon 11-29-2011 11:51 PM

I think I've been banned also and don't know why ???

Can't pull the website up on my home computer....looks like a ip ban...

I've always kept my nose clean and they haven't answered any of my messages yet ???

Kinda hard to understand if you don't even know or are told what you did wrong ???

I'm confused, I've been a RCC member for years! with 100% positive feed back...

Just wish they'd get back to me...

Wayne Miller 11-30-2011 08:29 AM

Hi Tracon,

Sorry to hear that you can not get on the site, perhaps it is just a glitch for now, but it sure sounds familiar, and your right, it is hard to understand what is going on - I wonder if you are a "paying" member they would then be a little more concerned about banning.

Let's hope they will consider the banned members and reinstate them in the future - perhaps a New Year's resolution ;-)

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Revy 11-30-2011 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Wayne Miller

- I wonder if you are a "paying" member they would then be a little more concerned about banning.

Nope!

What he is doing is fraudulant. Scammer from day one. He presents a larger member listthan it actually isto companies who pay him for advertising. Fraud in my books. Apparantly, I count twice. Oh and I've be banned as many times. Only sent one PM the second time, lol.:D
<br type="_moz" />

Sourkraut 11-30-2011 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Wayne Miller

Hi Tracon,

Sorry to hear that you can not get on the site, perhaps it is just a glitch for now, but it sure sounds familiar, and your right, it is hard to understand what is going on - I wonder if you are a ''paying'' member they would then be a little more concerned about banning.

Let's hope they will consider the banned members and reinstate them in the future - perhaps a New Year's resolution ;-)

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Quoted from another thread....Tracon has solved his dilemma

Tracon

Score: 100
Last Login: 11/30/2011

Problem solved guys, I wasn't banned, there was an issue with one of two things, I downloaded the "Flash" & "Java" update and whammo the RCC website came up without any problems...

Everything is back to normal!

All the best,
Sam

Wayne Miller 11-30-2011 07:01 PM

Hi Sourkraut,

I'm not quite sure the purpose of the above post.

However, I do notice you seem to have more insight/access at the RCC site that most other members do - see your post at link below:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10815839

I'm just wondering how you were able to get access to the communications that you referred to in the above link?

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Sourkraut 11-30-2011 07:33 PM

Hi Wayne.... I was simply pointing out that Tracon got the problem solved, that it was at his end and he was not banned.

Access to the info..... I know people!

Take Care from one Hitec fan to another;)

Tracon 11-30-2011 11:30 PM

Guys...

Put the rocket launchers down and lets all play nice...

We got it fixed and life is good...

Sam

Wayne Miller 12-01-2011 04:29 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification Sourkraut.

Tracon, glad you were able to find the problem and that life is good. Hope we can all meet at the flying field some day.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Revy 12-01-2011 09:59 PM

RickMunn 12-15-2012 10:03 PM

Hi,

I just experienced a rather kooky thing with RC Canada, I posted the following regarding the MAAC president's resignation and they locked down my three year old

Frank M Klenk 12-16-2012 07:17 AM

I'll have to check out that new site Wayne. Thanks.