Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Novak Havoc ESC Dead on Arrival

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 PM
kent_man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novak Havoc ESC Dead on Arrival

My Novak ESC didn't blow up, but it might as well have. I just bought the Havoc 3s Ballistic 17.5 and the esc is jacked right out of the box. The esc would randomly shut down and restart, it was also throwing random motor thermal shutdown codes. I wouldn't even have to run it, the motor could be as cold as ice and it thermal. I was't even able to get a whole pack through it. Needless to say I called Novak and sent it in. I'm not happy that I have to ship the product at my expense to Novak.

I'm not having much luck, my Associtated SC10 ESC was jacked right out of the box too, still waiting for my replacement. At least associated is sending me a new one with return postage for the bad one.

Just venting, I was supposed to get to the track yesterday, and race this Wed. but that doesn't look like it will happen either.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:14 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Novak Havoc ESC Dead on Arrival

Yeah that pretty much sucks !

I had 2 havocs and a gtbgo up in smoke in about 9 months. They are having all kinds of issues with the havoc esc, if you dont believe search havok on rctech and check out all the wonderful threads on there

This is whatI use now. Easily better than a havok or gtb and tons easier to program.

http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=447

Old 10-03-2010, 08:45 AM
860Crawler

Mine had a MOSFET failure shortly after getting it (Havoc 3S/8.5T combo). They sent me a new one and I haven't had an issue since. In fact, it freakin rips in my DF-03MS. For some reason I think it was some old stock (got mine from Tower) that they had a bad run of components on.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:15 AM
mc4798

When mine worked I loved it, Butter smooth and the best brakes I have ever felt.

But they was just not dependable.

The newer havoc sc esc is having issues also.

Im glad your happy with your havoc 3s and wish you nothing but the best with it. I would never have changed esc if it wasnt for the failures and NOVAKS customer service. While knowledgable and helpful I just didnt feel like I should have to pay to have them repaired which meant they would send me a refurb unit.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 AM
OvalRacer99

I run nothing but Novak and haven't had any problems but have herd a lot of things about the Havoc system. It sucks but shipp it back to Novak and they will make it right. Their costumer service is top notch and you will get taken care of.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:41 AM
NovakTwo

We replace (almost) all items returned to us for service with either new or factory re-manufactured (new warranty) products; all items returned under warranty are evaluated and replaced/returned within 5 to 7 working (Mon-Fri) days. All esc electronics can be subject to random component failure-e.g. the MOSFETs used in escs were not designed for the types of applications seen in RC racing. We have an "advance replacement" service option for those who require an immediate replacement. We also offer the most comprehensive, lifetime exchange/upgrade programs among all esc/motor mfgs.

We always take care of our customers and we have the best CS department in the business. We also actively participate on quite a few forums, and assistance is available to forum members anytime. I am always available to provide help when requested. Is everything perfect-of course not. But, happy customers rarely post on forums; Novak has been designing/manufacturing electronics for R/C vehicles for over 33 years-must be doing a few things right.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This seems to be a reoccurring problem. I ran Novak systems a few years back and had a rash of failures that turned me off to their products. They always treated me well and replaced/repaired the ESC but it just kept happening. At one time I owned 10 or so of their ESC and eventually all but one failed. Over the last couple of years I haven't heard many complaints so I figured they had the issues sorted out and was considering a Novak system for my Blitz but looks like it's going to be another Mamba ESC/VXL motor combo.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:51 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

OK, Everybody wants to point out the fact that lots of people have issues out of Novak systems.

Everybody has issues out of Castle systems, Tekin systems, and LRP systems. Everybody does.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:51 PM
mc4798

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

OK, Everybody wants to point out the fact that lots of people have issues out of Novak systems.

Everybody has issues out of Castle systems, Tekin systems, and LRP systems. Everybody does.
There is not huge threads dedicated to their failure though.

Novak Havok systems are the ones in question.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:57 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Uh, yeah there are. MMMs, MMPs, Tekin RX8s, etc etc.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:02 PM
mc4798

Well yeah, All 8th scale esc's are a crap shoot.

They all will fail, Not disputing that. But if you open your eyes you will see no other esc has the reputation for failure like the HAVOK series esc has.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haven't een too many HW failure threads
seen a pile of th rest though
Old 10-03-2010, 05:36 PM
mc4798

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

haven't een too many HW failure threads
Very true