Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

So, I got my Redcat Rampage MT v3 today and I wanted to do an ongoing, dynamic and honest review with and for you guys. The V3 is the latest iteration from Redcat Racing and has been updated by input from drivers and hobbyists. Many are unaware of the platform (as was I) and information is pretty sparse besides what you get from the resellers and manufacturer's website. So, let's talk about what you like, what I like, what you don't like and what I don't like. Some of the veteran's of this platform can give their experiences also and hopefully by the end we have a good amount of information on this platform.

Before I get into digging this monster out with you, I will say that my first impression after unpacking the truck and putting my hands on it is very positive. Let's continue.

Getting a box this big is always quite a surprise and it brightened up an otherwise boring Wednesday. I took the box to a place where I could unpack the contents in peace without a bunch of onlookers and gawkers.

Opening the box reveals a decal sheet, manual, optional tuned pipe, several boxes and the truck at the bottom. No fancy packaging, but that is perfectly ok with me.

I was PLEASANTLY surprised to see that Redcat included a failsafe unit. This was nowhere in the list of included pieces anywhere. I will still get a 3rd channel killswitch, but this is added insurance. You also see the manual on CD and a hard copy.

This is the optional tuned pipe. I got it free with my truck as a part of a current promotion.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Dale Gribble

Default RE: Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

This is the transmitter. Pretty much any serious hobbyist is going to swap in their own gear. This transmitter doesn't have a digital display and there isn't much weight to it. It looks and feels more toylike, save the 2.4GHz antenna. While the transmitter is probably perfectly fine, I will be swapping in my own radio gear, although....

A little birdie told me (and I haven't verified yet) that the Redcat Racing DSM receiver WILL bind to a Spectrum transmitter. I can't confirm this yet, but I will see if this is true soon.

These are the included extras. I got a 2500mAh Sub-C NiMH 6v receiver pack AND trickle charger, a spare main gear set and some tools. This is all gravy as I honestly wasn't expecting anything.

The MONSTER tires basically consumed two boxes on their own.

Whoa! There the truck is at the bottom! Note, the body still has the protective film on it, so the scratches you see aren't actually on the body itself.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Dale Gribble

The monster tires are really cool. They are full beadlock wheels. You will see that the hex is supported by an aluminum ring like the 5B wheels. Definitely a necessity based on the power these things can put out.

This truck has thought invested into it; it isn't just slapped together. As an example, look at the wheel nut here. The nut is knurled so the wheel won't come flying off at an inopportune time. This isn't groundbreaking, but it shows a welcome attention to detail. Also, the anodizing on the aluminum parts is a nice blue that contrasts the black plastic and chassis very well.

This is the first shot with the body on (again with the protective film still on). This thing is HUGE!!! I will put some other stuff next to it later to give you perspective.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Dale Gribble

This was a large surprise to me, because it wasn't mentioned ANYWHERE online. The truck comes stock with 2 steering servos! I was only expecting 1 and was told I had to buy a kit to get 2! That is a nice surprise indeed! I will probably swap the throttle/brake servo out with a high performance unit, but I am going to give these steering servos a whirl and see how they do.

Servo plate and upper steering mount. Note the integrated servo saver; both sides have a servo saver built in. Notice the thickness of the aluminum pieces! The shock towers are HUGE.

Here is a shot of the rollcage and engine. I was told that the HPI 5B air cleaner is a good addition so I picked one up and will probably install it soon. One complaint I have read is that these filters don't come oiled, so we have to oil them before we run. The engine is a 26CC unit.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Dale Gribble

Here are a few body on shots just to tide you over until I get some better shots. The body is a Chevy body with just enough changes I guess to avoid paying licensing. If you look at the grille close enough, I am pretty sure it is a Bowtie...

Old 10-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Dale Gribble

My goal is to conduct a prerun checklist. Before I run, I am going to make sure everything is tight, install my radio gear, install an HPI airfilter (1st option), or just oil the existing filter and slap on an outerwear filter (option 2). Then, I will break it in and take it out for its first bash session this Sunday! I will get pics and video.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Obeast44

It looks good man! They've definitely made improvements in the models and the packaging. It looks good, slap a killswitch on her and go thrash the piss out of it
Old 10-27-2010, 07:58 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Just a few hints.

The Monster truck now has twin steering servos, the Buggy still has one steering servo.

The failsafe will not work with a kill switch, so sell that off with the radio.

The Truck tires and beadlocks are not compatable with the Baja wheels. different size and amount of screws. The rims are 22mm hex versus 24 for the Baja.

Loctite the dogbone pins in with either red or green loctite, just to be safe. This production run may have it done already, but check anyway.

Other than that, have fun with it.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:04 PM
BTXpress
My Feedback: (1)

Dale,

Thanks for the write up. I am looking forward to hearing what else you have to say. I am strongly considering getting one myself. Can you PM me and let me know where you did order yours from?

Thanks again,
BT
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: RAMTech-HBF-LSF

The Truck tires and beadlocks are not compatable with the Baja wheels. different size and amount of screws. The rims are 22mm hex versus 24 for the Baja.
I was going to mention this as well. If you DO want to use baja wheels, you can slap on four rear baja hexs, and you're good to go. As you can see from the picture, the procedure to do so will be pretty simple.

Have they made any changes to the v3 body? I like the paint job, but is it still brittle? My v1 body shattered on the first roll over.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

The bodies are getting better, but not as good as a Baja body, if you can believe that. The Proline bodies seem to be popular.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: cheezer1222

ORIGINAL: RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Have they made any changes to the v3 body? I like the paint job, but is it still brittle? My v1 body shattered on the first roll over.
Thanks for the clarification on the hexes. Not sure about the body. It feels flexible and consistent with other 5th scale bodies. I will know for sure this Sunday.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Best is to put some drywall fiberglass mesh on the inside and shoogoo around the inside corners.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Dale Gribble

Here are some comparison photos with an HPI 5T hot off the presses.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Dale Gribble

Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 AM
trickle007

that thing is to clean go get some dirt on it lol........ grats on the purchase. Have some fun with it, I do on mine
Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

nice pix dale !! u made me jealous im getting mine back from my bro and trade him a 5b.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it really that pic heavy that the pics won't even upload here?!! I have refreshed several times and i don't see a single pic[]
Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

Is it really that pic heavy that the pics won't even upload here?!! I have refreshed several times and i don't see a single pic[]
yea prolly heavy for your pc coz i see the pix .
Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 AM
elven wizard

Nice pics of your new Rampage Rc. It always exciting when one see's that big 1/5 box at your doorstep ready to be opened.

Keep us informed about the running of your new Rc.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM
mooman007uk

even thought the bodies have been improved i don't think they know what real lexan is in China[] so don't count on it lasting too terribly long, drywall tape and shoogoo definitely helps. Something that is not in the sticky (well last time i looked on that forum...about 6mths ago) is the gear cover and melting of gears...with the cover on things get real hot in there and the white gears melt just the same as the black gears...2 options...get steel ones or you can run the plakky ones if you drill lots of tiny holes in the cover or more simply leave it off...i ran with no cover for a while without a problem.
for HPI adapters the vertigo 8mm extended ones are IMO the best, wider stance and same price as HPI stockers
and don't get too excited about 2 steering servos...just means you'll be replacing 2 instead of 1 when they crap out, though they do last longer than the th/br one...don't know if you've tried the electronics yet, the steering servos will sound like they're full of rocks but that's normal and DONT use the failsafe it'll cause more problems than it cures.

i think most of the V1 and V2's quirks have been addressed by HSP...I'm still yet to try a set of V3 diff cups but haven't heard anyone complain about them for a while...then again some forums are somewhat censored [X(] and rampages aren't too prevalent here or 5thscale. I'm sure any V3 owners here can update you on those.

so now go and get it mucky, and have some fun with it...it's hard not to
Old 10-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Dale Gribble

Very good input on the body guys, and thanks for the additional information moonman007uk. I will pick up the goods to reinforce the body today and get it ready tonight for this weekend. I also read that it is good to brace the front and rear shock towers together with something that couples them together (e.g. metal brace). Is this important up front or later down the road?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Dale Gribble

Very good input on the body guys, and thanks for the additional information moonman007uk. I will pick up the goods to reinforce the body today and get it ready tonight for this weekend. I also read that it is good to brace the front and rear shock towers together with something that couples them together (e.g. metal brace). Is this important up front or later down the road?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 AM
sparky 25

No pics showing up for me also.[:@]

all i can see is a small box with a red x through the middle where the pics should be,

why are they not showing up for us?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: badboy2

yea prolly heavy for your pc coz i see the pix .
Man, that just sucks. I have never in this computers life experienced this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.