Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Start working on the Hooben’s T55A!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Start working on the Hooben’s T55A!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:29 AM
z453937079

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start working on the Hooben’s T55A!

Knowing that I have built a King Tiger before, my friend asked me to build his newly

acquired T55A for him.
Have a quick look into the box today, building work leaves until tomorrow..
Printing and box art are not bad, with lots of information inside. Box quality is only fair when compare with

those of Tamiya…

Box presentation is the same as of Tamiya, and the photo of the field that toke the sound effect recording is a

nice touch

Tin alloy sprocket wheel and suspension blocks

This seems to be the suspension arm..

The hull and plastic parts are placed inside the box

Dedicated electronics equipment, sound effect claims to be live recorded with a real tank

Aluminum main gun barrel, unlike the shiny look of those provided by Tamiya, the barrel is roughed out to catch

paint better,.

Small box to hold the gear box..

Quality of the hull is ok, but the surface texture could be have been better.

Moldings marks which is a signature on all Russian main gun turrets are presented well and should not be sanded

away later
Road wheels and rubber tires

Road-wheels and aprons

Tracks are not pre-assembled and may be very tedious to get them up..

Some more metal parts

Looks to be a gear box inside the turret

A wood dowel, cannot figure out what it is for at the moment.

More photos later…

Old 11-12-2010, 08:02 AM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Start working on the Hooben’s T55A!

Looks better than I expected...
Old 11-12-2010, 08:26 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HMMMm Electronics too.

I left a big hint for my Bride that one of these under the tree would be most welcome. Even left the website open. All she had to do was load it up in the shopping basket!!!!!,

Individual track links though. UG. I have an extra set of T-34 metal tracks. Would these fit??????

I really want one now.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Flyn Chris

It sure does, I'm looking forward on seeing this build.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:56 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Is there anyone out there making a metal track for the T-55 yet I'm not looking forward to putting them link by link together .

Jimmy
Old 11-12-2010, 09:18 AM
z453937079

let's go on!

This manual thick book, is a little scary, but according to former experience, the description is largely fake, I always not follow the instructions!

Today first observing body and road-wheels installed.This suspension system about hooben is very special! It is made of metal fixed block connected full sets of suspension system,and then put the fixed block with four screws to vehicles,after all installed,we can feel the bodywork thick texture instead thin!

1)Installation fixed block to vehicle square hole are matched,but it is intevitable to Use smaller file to fix because it's domestic goods not Japanese.If someone to do the wading in functional rbis about the fixed block and bodywork combining parts,in my opinion,you shoud made sealant, after all there are gaps.
2)The suspension system is difficult to installation because of the compact design.
3)At the first when you installation it,you can removal flash,with small fault hem arm shaft plier, so that it could plug into fixed block inside flexible rotation.
4)Then put on spring, again on the limit device, limit device small pillars tucked into fixed block the pores, so swing arm can elastic rotation.
At the end,the card reed is too small to installation that you need with forceps between live stuffed swing arm card slot, 10 rounds clip ten times made me sweat.
5)Special remind: the spacing device is around,do not install wrong like me since of I read the intro.careless.
6)This is a road wheel inside, the first and last road LunDai shock absorber, swinging arm is to take small triangle, don't make a mistake.

I was bursting to installed a gearbox up, using four screws through the bodywork fixed, also is sturdy, gear previous level is plastic.
I don't know what kind of plastic, slippery stiff, behind were of brass, it is to reduce the noise and increase wearability consideration, but who knows if they like hell.

Pack road-wheels photos, road wheels are parted, inside pack a bearing, then glue together,hoho, that's all!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:17 AM
FFR2608

Looks nice. I bet the wood dowel is the simulated tree log that is occasionally hung from the back of the tank.

D
Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Notice on the metal suspension supports, the left side had 4 'lefts' and one right, the right side has 4 'rights' and one left. However, you can not install them in the wrong position, so this is just FYI.

The wooden dowel is indeed to hang on the back as a ditching beam.

Only maker of T 55 tracks in metal at this time is AFV, but they are a little dear, and I don't know it they will fit the Hooben model.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:00 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Notice on the metal suspension supports, the left side had 4 'lefts' and one right, the right side has 4 'rights' and one left. However, you can not install them in the wrong position, so this is just FYI.

Only maker of T 55 tracks in metal at this time is AFV, but they are a little dear, and I don't know it they will fit the Hooben model.

How much different is the T-34 tracK???

Also do you think you could order in just a set of wheels and rubber?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:36 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks good only thing i don't like are the springs they use in the swing arms those types of springs always break,

Also there is a lot of bolts and stuff holding the parts together be sure to use thread lock like tamiya's so everything stays put.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
sevoblast

T 34 track is totally different geometry and drive system. The drive sprocket does not use outside teeth, but internal drive lugs on the sprocket. I can order in spare parts, but not until late January.

Senlonco, springs appear to be high quality. I started my build this PM, and I'll be starting a thread shortly. And you are correct, use thread lock for sure, although the suspension support screws do come with lock washers, and flat washers to go on the outside of the plastic hull to give more strength to the screw holes in the plastic.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
bigfiver69

I know Hooben's been catching a lot of you-know-what over delays and everything, but kudos to them on this kit - from the pictures it looks really, really good and no doubt will build into a very sweet tank.

Hopefully, we'll see the Elefant from them someday soon.
Shep
Old 11-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen the gear boxes in person. There will be a problem with them. They use "E"clips to hold the gears in place and the clearance between the gears is not enough to clear the clips. This WILL cause the clips to tear into the gears causing failure. Be aware of this and take the proper measures to make certain the clips clear the gears on all shafts.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:08 PM
z453937079

Although it seems that pick up close, but the actual usage of time is not met!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:22 PM
z453937079

ORIGINAL: Panther G

I have seen the gear boxes in person. There will be a problem with them. They use "E"clips to hold the gears in place and the clearance between the gears is not enough to clear the clips. This WILLcausethe clips to tear into the gears causing failure. Be aware of this and take the proper measures to make certain the clips clear the gears on all shafts.
I tested my gear box,although it seems that pick up close, but the actual usage of time should not met!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:32 PM
z453937079

ORIGINAL: bigfiver69

I know Hooben's been catching a lot of you-know-what over delays and everything, but kudos to them on this kit - from the pictures it looks really, really good and no doubt will build into a very sweet tank.

Hopefully, we'll see the Elefant from them someday soon.
Shep
Ye,I have waited for some days, but generally this quality is worth the wait!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:37 PM
z453937079

ORIGINAL: borealis

Looks better than I expected...
Old 11-12-2010, 08:44 PM
z453937079

ORIGINAL: FFR2608

Looks nice. I bet the wood dowel is the simulated tree log that is occasionally hung from the back of the tank.

D
Maybe,en..I should have a try!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:14 PM
z453937079

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

It hasn't been seen in the market T55 tracks in metal , later may soon have!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't want to ruffle feathers that much. I was responding to the concern about having to assemble tracks. This is supposed to be model building .....

Jerry
Old 11-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:40 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Tanque

I don't want to ruffle feathers that much. I was responding to the concern about having to assemble tracks. This is supposed to be model building .....

Jerry

Yes, but nothing says you have to enjoy every aspect of it. Putting together tracks is tedious and time consuming.
There really is no art to it, and the skill of pinning links is mastered quickly. I would pass on calling track pinning an enjoyable part of this hobby. However that is just my opinion and the great thing about a hobby is that it is recreational, and the time you spend on it is yours. How you do that is very much a personal choice.

I am halfway through pinning some 1/35 scale metal tracks. I doubt I will ever get them done. I am happy to find somehting else to work on.

So if someone offers me a kit and there is a choice of assemble your own tracks or they are supplied RTR. I'll take the RTR tracks everytime. However back on topic of this Hooben. It appears as if the tracks are ones you assemble yourself without a choice, so I will have to endure the hardship and tedium Can't be any worse then the slat armor I made for the Leopard.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:48 PM
sevoblast

I would aver that the track assembly will be a cake walk compared to the slat armor, which, by the by, was quite the work of art.

Panther G, my Hooben TU's seem to run grand, no problems from the 'E' clip after a couple hours break in run. We'll see with time. If needs be, it's an easy fix anyway. Daryl has already addressed the problem if needs be, simply and effectively. Think brass tube instead of 'E' clips.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:35 PM
rshermanking

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this is what i`ve done with mine so far
Old 11-13-2010, 04:57 PM
wsn123

I tested my gear box,although it seems that pick up close, but the actual usage of time should not met!

z453937079 - Did You order/receive Hooben sound unit for Your T55?
Any engine sound demo is possible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.