Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Government intrusion in hobby flying

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Government intrusion in hobby flying

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Government intrusion in hobby flying

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

AC91-57 is an advisory, not a regulation. I have always agreed with the AMA interpretation of the 400 foot advisory. The 400 foot rule was silly from the start and was the of the FAA creating an arbitrary limit without proper study and consideration.
What AMA did was not an interpretation,
it was a kicking to the curb the flatly obvious 400ft Everywhere Always that was in AC91-57.

When a text states 'We advise Blue'
it is not an 'interpretation' of that text to say We will do Red.... that is just ignoring the blue advice

''The 400 foot rule was silly from the start''
and yet for decades AMA didnt use lobbyists to change it to protect the hobby,
rather they left it in place getting more and more entrenched.

Now, we hear folks say they dont mind what was in AC91-57
... well, that is endorsing 400ft Everywhere Always and not what some private gang decided to do instead of that

If you dont like 400ft Everywhere Always,
then dont say 91-57 is ok.

If the only part of AC91-57 that you like
is the 'voluntary advice' nature of allowing folks to just absolutely ignore any and all fed influence over MA,
then just say that-
You just want the FAA to have absolutely ZERO control over UAS (what MA actually are),
since Size/Wt/Speed/LOS/Commerce are all just Curb Kickable Advice

Feel free to have your own unique interpretations of what people post. I still have no issue with AC91-57 and it's advisory nature and agree with the AMA interpretation that you only need to pay attention to the 400 foot altitude when close to airports. We know your mileage on this topic varies.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 AM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Thomas B
I still have no issue with AC91-57 and it's advisory nature and agree with the AMA interpretation that you only need to pay attention to the 400 foot altitude when close to airports.
It is indeed an "advisory" and as such not a rule...
The FAA can issue advisories one after another and I'd have no problem with it, and the 400' limit near an airport is a courtesy to our full scale counterparts, it make sense.
However, the FAA deciding that they now can rule by decree, is kinda pissing me off.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 AM
KidEpoxy

agree with the AMA interpretation that you only need to pay attention to the 400 foot altitude when close to airports.
I'm sure what you meant to say was
that I TomB only need to pay attention to the 400 foot altitude when

how is it that you feel your interpretation of advice that NeverDo = OKwhen3mile
should be inflicted onto others that interpret the advice NeverDo = OKalways

In your way of dealing with it,
you should see no problem with FAA appending ac91-57 to include ALL restrictions and bans recommended in the ARC.
Cause after all,
if you are just going to ignore 400ft Everywhere Always in the AC cause its just advice
you will have no problem ignoring No Turbines or NeverOver55lb in the advice as well.

And that is the crux of your statements:
You only dont have a problem with the limit, cause you dont have to obey it.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Hokie Flyer

ORIGINAL: iron eagel

we have commercial interest looking to exploit small unmanned aircraft for profit all of a sudden our activities have been brought to the forefront..
You hit the nail on the head. FAA = Fascist Aviation Administration. Throwing the RC Hobbyist under the bus at the request of the Small UAV manufacturers and operators.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: Hokie Flyer

we have commercial interest looking to exploit small unmanned aircraft for profit all of a sudden our activities have been brought to the forefront..
You hit the nail on the head. FAA = Fascist Aviation Administration. Throwing the RC Hobbyist under the bus at the request of the Small UAV manufacturers and operators.

Your not kidding, we better watch out as the commercial interest grows, so does the revenue of that segment of industry, and the power it brings.......Modeling has grown to a Billion dollar industry (Estimated) and as such we have some clout.....not much, but some.

When the world is using sUAS for everything from A to Z that will be what is important, NOT aero-modeling as a hobby or sport........we need to place a stake in the ground NOW, while we have a chance, because the time will fly by, as if it was a fast turbine.......until we are small compared to the UAV industry.......

ANd to save posts, on another note, any one going to FL jets? If you get to make it, since my boss does not want me to go (I am so pissed) let me know what the AMA is doing to get the word out please......booth with signs, etc......I wanted to take the weekend off and walk around with a sign and a laptop with wireless getting folks to sign up
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81677.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1571809  
Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

for those that need reminding, that we are not the only ones lobbying...

www.diydrones.com

just a small part of those against us.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
jet22b

The bottom line is money!!!! Like we said when I was in the Army, "Money Talk B/S Walk"!! If the people who make sUAV has the money, take a wild guess who will do the walking!!! If people don't think this is a fight, then wake up!!! The next step the FAA would do, if we want to still fly our toy airplanes, we must have an RC Pilot License from the FAA and a doctor slip from a FAA doctor said we are fit to fly!!! Same way the full scale have to go through. Oh wait, every new flying year, you have to fly with a FAA RC Check Airmen to see how well you fly!! Now this is just small talk, but, it could happen!! Do you think I love this hobby, You bet your sweet airplane I do!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

BTW: Guys don't forget " Toledo RC Expo will be here soon!! Just think one year down the road, it may be gone!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Spiike

I guess its time to move to Canada
Old 03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
vellox
My Feedback: (1)

This is what you got when you elected the current regime into office. They have done everything in their power to negate our rights. Without going thru our elected Sentors and State Represenatives. They will keep doing this until everyone wakes up and fires them by the next election!!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

...................if you are just going to ignore 400ft Everywhere Always in the AC cause its just advice
you will have no problem ignoring No Turbines or NeverOver55lb in the advice as well.

And that is the crux of your statements:
You only dont have a problem with the limit, cause you dont have to obey it.
Study up on the difference between an advisory and a regualtion and get back to me. Note that the possible rules planned for turbines and large models are not advisory in nature.

If the advisory limits of AC91-57 become actual regulations, then we have a whole other problem. And that is what we are discussing and fighting.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: vellox

This is what you got when you elected the current regime into office.

If that is in fact the case can you help me to understand how this effort on the part of the FAA started in 2006 and the groundwork was being done even earlier? Was that in preparation for their anticipation that Obama would be elected??
Old 03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
SSgtkal

As a member of the NRA and the AMA. All I can say is this doesn't surprise me at all. We should all understand they are doing this for our own good, we're too stupid to operate these flying machines in a safe manner. Thank goodness for the folks in Washington, what would we do with out them?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:57 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: jet22b

The bottom line is money!!!! Like we said when I was in the Army, ''Money Talk B/S Walk''!! If the people who make sUAV has the money, take a wild guess who will do the walking!!! If people don't think this is a fight, then wake up!!! The next step the FAA would do, if we want to still fly our toy airplanes, we must have an RC Pilot License from the FAA and a doctor slip from a FAA doctor said we are fit to fly!!! Same way the full scale have to go through. Oh wait, every new flying year, you have to fly with a FAA RC Check Airmen to see how well you fly!! Now this is just small talk, but, it could happen!! Do you think I love this hobby, You bet your sweet airplane I do!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
In other words: The sky is falling! Right?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:01 PM
DrZiplok

ORIGINAL: mongo

www.diydrones.com

That's a fairly odd thing to be claiming under the circumstances. Would you care to expand on who you're referring to (specific individuals or commercial interests) and how their aims conflict with what you believe as "ours"?

= Mike
Old 03-01-2011, 03:14 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

There is one other aspect to all of this that I am curious about...
And while it may have been mentioned in other forums and dismissed I think it is something that a someone who is well versed in law should look at.
And that is what is actually the limits of FAA airspace, now I know that many and the FAA itself feels that anything above ground level is within their purview, why is it that if for building a building the only time you need government approval for the permit process is when the building height is over 1000 ft and is considered to be entering the NAS.
That is what the FAR's refer to as "Controled Air Space". It mainly refers to what Miniumes for flight visiblities, clearance from clouds that VFR aircraft must maintain. These Minimums change from 1 mile to 5 miles to clear of clouds to 500' below to 1000' above clouds ect. All depends where U are and at what altitude.
"There are presently NO FAR's controling any aspect of sUAS's."
This is the crux of the mater ... The FAA because of their mandate from congress, that they have the right and the duty to control any thing that moves with out touching the ground. And Licence anything or anyone that wishes to use the NAS. If the FAA could get GEESE to wear anti colision lights and carry TCAS and Mode C Transponders, it would be in the FAR's.
The lack of control of sUAS is why the FAA is trying to lump us in with them as one family of objects that use their air space. You don't want the FAA to start making FAR's for Model aircraft. IT will never end. You will have to pass a written test on the FAR's, Weather, flight ruels, take a flight test froman authorized FAA examinator.Get your models inspected by a licenced mechanic every year. And pay a registration fee to the federal and State government every year. And if U fly with in or under the Vail of Class B air Space have a working Mode C altitude reporting transponder.
Better that we get our congresmen and Senators to curtail any control that the FAA might try to impose on our Hobby. PERIOD.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:19 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: DrZiplok

www.diydrones.com

That's a fairly odd thing to be claiming under the circumstances. Would you care to expand on who you're referring to (specific individuals or commercial interests) and how their aims conflict with what you believe as ''ours''?

= Mike

I liked the one comment about us from over there, kinda gotta kick out of it. "Ah ha ha the nursing home got a net connection"
Old 03-01-2011, 04:44 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Better that we get our congresmen and Senators to curtail any control that the FAA might try to impose on our Hobby. PERIOD.
Indeed.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
wmccjeep

163rd from New Mexico!  And PROUD of it!  Keep signing folks!
W
Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

There is one other aspect to all of this that I am curious about...
And while it may have been mentioned in other forums and dismissed I think it is something that a someone who is well versed in law should look at.
And that is what is actually the limits of FAA airspace, now I know that many and the FAA itself feels that anything above ground level is within their purview, why is it that if for building a building the only time you need government approval for the permit process is when the building height is over 1000 ft and is considered to be entering the NAS.
That is what the FAR's refer to as ''Controled Air Space''. It mainly refers to what Miniumes for flight visiblities, clearance from clouds that VFR aircraft must maintain. These Minimums change from 1 mile to 5 miles to clear of clouds to 500' below to 1000' above clouds ect. All depends where U are and at what altitude.
''There are presently NO FAR's controling any aspect of sUAS's.''
This is the crux of the mater ... The FAA because of their mandate from congress, that they have the right and the duty to control any thing that moves with out touching the ground. And Licence anything or anyone that wishes to use the NAS. If the FAA could get GEESE to wear anti colision lights and carry TCAS and Mode C Transponders, it would be in the FAR's.
The lack of control of sUAS is why the FAA is trying to lump us in with them as one family of objects that use their air space. You don't want the FAA to start making FAR's for Model aircraft. IT will never end. You will have to pass a written test on the FAR's, Weather, flight ruels, take a flight test from an authorized FAA examinator. Get your models inspected by a licenced mechanic every year. And pay a registration fee to the federal and State government every year. And if U fly with in or under the Vail of Class B air Space have a working Mode C altitude reporting transponder.

If they have the right to control anything that is air born and not touching the ground...... hmmmmm then how are they going to control "mortar shells, bottle rockets and etc"

I signed it once and was 200 something from my state just signed again and am 572nd person from Michigan to sign this petition!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Nitro-Tom

www.diydrones.com

That's a fairly odd thing to be claiming under the circumstances. Would you care to expand on who you're referring to (specific individuals or commercial interests) and how their aims conflict with what you believe as ''ours''?

= Mike

GO to their site and read....I have attached one of the sheets from their FAQ, very interesting reading......not sure if they are against us or just doing what they do with "Small" UAV's are what's going to get "US" in trouble but the stuff on this site is WHY the FAA has to act.......I mean really......I see a conflict here BIG TIME.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wu60811.pdf (27.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: vellox

This is what you got when you elected the current regime into office. They have done everything in their power to negate our rights. Without going thru our elected Sentors and State Represenatives. They will keep doing this until everyone wakes up and fires them by the next election!!
Sorry to rain on your parade. This was started under a Republican administration, over 4 years ago. It will not be resolved most likely for another couple of years. In other words, most likely under another administration. The FAA could not care less if they have a republican or a democratic administration on charge.

Now if you want to blame the one that started this: It was the prior administration. The same people you want to vote in, again:-)

Gerry
Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Nitro-Tom

www.diydrones.com

= Mike

GO to their site and read....I have attached one of the sheets from their FAQ, very interesting reading......not sure if they are against us or just doing what they do with ''Small'' UAV's are what's going to get ''US'' in trouble but the stuff on this site is WHY the FAA has to act.......I mean really......I see a conflict here BIG TIME.....
Thank you for pointing this out. I thought it was the AMA, and the FAA and the UAV people, but now we see here there is a new (for me) group that also complicates things (for us). Or, maybe an oppurtunity to increase AMA's ramks...

Read this 2 comments I noticed at the link you sent us (see below). The dicount comment got me smiling:-)

Gerry

Comment by Thomas J Coyle III 1 hour ago @Chris,

Basically the AMA is old school and used to be the only game in town. They are the "establishement" and will protect their empire like other old school establishements are inclined to do when they feel threatened. DIY Drones is the new kid on the block and will be viewed with suspicion by the establishement.

Just a thought.

Regards,

TCIII
. Comment by Tom 1 hour ago Just my two cents...based on the little I know. AMA, similar to a Middle Eastern regime, is just fighting to avoid obsolescence as the progess of DIYDrones is catching up with them (150,000 members vs 15,000). They are afraid that DIYDrones lacking AMA adopted standards may be promoting irresponsible modelers that will eventually lead to public backlash and tearing down all that the AMA built.The way to change their mind is to join them and affect change from within their ranks, with 15,000 DIYDrones members in one block within the AMA, you are significant "shareholder". AMA may be able to provide a discounted membership for DIYDrones members.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Nitro-Tom

www.diydrones.com

= Mike

Ok, so first off I am NOT picking on DrZiplok
Just had to reply to someone based on this site, but read on, it is UNREAL!

I will comment on the four shots I grabed and stop there.....

Snap1 (Picture attached)

An OBVIOUS auto pilot with software version 2.4.1 tested with an easy glider on NOV 2009!!!!

We should be in fear of the advancement of this technology, which we need to make sure, AGAIN, stays FAR AWAY from US as far as the FAA is concerened, by whatever means, line of sight, AMA field, etc....whatever.....just not the same as what I do at all

Snap2 (Picture attached)

Obvious GPS guidance, we all know is there, i.e. waypoints, etc.....but at the point this is main stream, available to all, that DOES change things, and again, we can be EXCLUDED from the regs, but these guys DO NEED REGS for doing this crap!!!!! I don't trust most of these machines as far as I can throw them......because I have been working on them all my life.....that bird is one cold solder joint away from slaming into a station wagon's windshield with a family of four traveling down I-95........CLEARLY the use of these things, NOT THE MODELS, is what needs to be regulated.

Snap3 (Picture attached)

Again, June of 2010 circling a neighboorhood.....glad it wasn't mine......WHO checked out this UAV and WHO gave them the necessary COA?????
Was it marked inside the model, like ours, so I can sue him when that falls on my kid playing in my back yard?

Snap4 (Picture attached)

THese guys look scared.....NOT the place you should be flying, even a small foamie! Come on.....

Snap5 (Picture attached)

Same plane as we use, just with different gear, I actually hate the FPV stuff now.......it was the straw that broke the camels back, in my opinion......although it seems it just speed up the inevitable......

All I can say folks is Wake up, get educated on the facts, and be ready to defend the HOBBY of recreational aero-modeling.....cause we are headed for a fight with the FAA as long as these guys are doing with our models what they are doing......

Nothing against them, just the fact!

-Peace out!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95462.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1571980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55142.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1571981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61930.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1571982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37197.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1571983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60606.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1571984  
Old 03-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Nitro-Tom

The more I read from this site.......the clearer it becomes........You can by a complete auto pilot solution from the DIY store for $300 (8 Channels)

http://diydrones.com/notes/ArduPilot

It is the USE of the sUAS that needs to be regulated, NOT the planes!

The way WE use these machines is NOT the same, and SHOULD NOT fall under the new regulations.....PERIOD!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

This DIYDrones is incredible...no wonder the FAA is hot to regulate sUAS's. I sure hope the AMA is making the case loud and clear to the FAA that the radio-control line of sight flying that we do - prop, turbine, gas, glow, electric - is NOTHING like sending amateur drones flying around the neighborhood.

I fly GA airplanes, and this amateur drone stuff has me concerned. I had no idea this was going on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.