Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

which ignition Jodi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:17 AM
hanko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which ignition Jodi?

Was checking out the rcexl ignitions you sell. I assume the 10mm CM6 is the right one for the DLE 30,55. Also how important is the spring in the cap? I have a fairly new DLE 55 thats been had starting, and surges when it starts. sometimes it runs fine sometimes not. Have rebuilt the carb, changed ignitions, made sure battery is charged, changes the plugs, checked fuel system and dont see an obvious problem. Thanks

H
Old 05-15-2011, 03:26 PM
hanko

Default RE: which ignition Jodi?

My friend says that the DLE ignitions are the same as rcexl ignitions. I say no. What model rcexl is used for the DLE55, and the DLE30
Old 05-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DLE, RC Exl, same ignition.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:48 PM
hanko

I suck again, thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

DLE, RC Exl, same ignition.
Yes & no....same ignition....but some have different advance curves.........................
Old 05-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Tired Old Man

The one for the 20 is alleged to have a different curve but until I elect to render one useless for RC use I can't say for sure.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:31 PM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't need to trash one to see the difference. A timing light can be used to see the different advance curves. The DLE20 and rear carbed DLE30 have unique timing curves and modules, they are not the same as a DLE55, they are all made by Rcexl.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:29 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why exactly are the curves different for those particular engines?

AV8TOR
Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I find it amusing that the best model airplane ignition on the planet was made for many years with the best electronic control ever made was copied by a Chinese company who now can't get it right...
The original Syncro Spark made by ED Vollmer and used by Bill Carpenter was just fine for ALL model airplane engines until some people who can't tune their carbs forced Xu Liang to make an advance curve that overcompensates for bad tuning...
Some of you people deserve what you now have....
There is no sound reason to have electronic advance on a small gasser, 28 BTDC works just fine with no retard for starting, there isn't enough kick back to need it...Before I could get the Syncro Spark circuit all my conversions of the G26 had fixed timing..No one ever complained....Larger engines needed some retard for starting, so mechanical advance was used by making a link to the throttle...100% linear advance from 4 BTDC to full advance at WOT....Still arguably the best system, but easier and now cheaper to just get an ignition from Xu Liang...I would bet most users couldn't even tell the difference except for the kick back when starting...
Too bad Bill and Ed no longer make the best ignitions, victims of the new plug and play mentality and in Bill's case some bad health...[&o]
Old 05-16-2011, 02:36 AM
ggraham500

If the original side carburetor on the DLE-30 was replaced with the rear-carburetor kit, will the original RC EXL ignition work just fine?

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Don't need to trash one to see the difference. A timing light can be used to see the different advance curves. The DLE20 and rear carbed DLE30 have unique timing curves and modules, they are not the same as a DLE55, they are all made by Rcexl.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:08 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Antique

I find it amusing that the best model airplane ignition on the planet was made for many years with the best electronic control ever made was copied by a Chinese company who now can't get it right...
The original Syncro Spark made by ED Vollmer and used by Bill Carpenter was just fine for ALL model airplane engines until some people who can't tune their carbs forced Xu Liang to make an advance curve that overcompensates for bad tuning...
There is no sound reason to have electronic advance on a small gasser, 28 BTDC works just fine with no retard for starting, there isn't enough kick back to need it...Before I could get the Syncro Spark circuit all my conversions of the G26 had fixed timing..No one ever complained....Larger engines needed some retard for starting, so mechanical advance was used by making a link to the throttle...100% linear advance from 4 BTDC to full advance at WOT....Still arguably the best system, but easier and now cheaper to just get an ignition from Xu Liang...I would bet most users couldn't even tell the difference except for the kick back when starting...
Too bad Bill and Ed no longer make the best ignitions, victims of the new plug and play mentality and in Bill's case some bad health...[&o]
I sure wish Rcexl would produce a ignition with no advance too. Then you could make your own custom mechanical advance (like Antique did) for bigger engines, or you could just use it on about any small engine right out of the box. Capt,n
Old 05-16-2011, 04:47 AM
bgw45

I have one of the early side carb DLE 30s. I put the "CyberPlate"(a rear carb adaptor) on it and the original ignition works fine.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: Antique

+1000[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 05-16-2011, 05:46 AM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: ggraham500

If the original side carburetor on the DLE-30 was replaced with the rear-carburetor kit, will the original RC EXL ignition work just fine?

ORIGINAL: jedijody

The location of a carburetor does not impact the ignition timing. The static and dynamic advances remain the same.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Whistling Death

Unless a minor flaw in tuning will destroy the engine, I can't imagine why having an electronic advance to smooth out the rough edges is a bad thing.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The original point about the ignition auto timing advance was that it is not actually needed on the smaller engines to prevent kickback at starting

I have several small gassers with fixed timing and they run just fine.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 AM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I sure wish Rcexl would produce a ignition with no advance too. Then you could make your own custom mechanical advance (like Antique did) for bigger engines, or you could just use it on about any small engine right out of the box. Capt,n

It's not quite that easy.

As for making a zero advance ignition, all one has to do is burn the chip appropriately. Sensor passes magnet and coil goes bang. To make a custom curve requires that a lot of experimentation with running engines be performed, using a special tool that's user programmable in real time, to develop a curve to fit the application. From there some interfaces between programs has to be created that will permit the digital exchange of information in a compatible format. Then the chip gets burned again. Neither the tool nor the programs are openly available.

I've designed a few ignition curves and it requires the investment of a lot of time and labor.

RC Exl could easily do as good a job with their products as CH did but you have the usual cost reduction issues typical of copied Chinese products. If there's a way to shave a couple cents off the productin cost they will make use of it, even if it reduces the quality of the product. It's all about profit to price. Call it (generously) an 80% rule. If they can make a product that works 80% of the time while increasing profitability 50%-100%, that's what the customer will get.

Note that RC Exl hit the market and established their customer base by selling an ignition for less than half of what the industry standard, epitome in relibiality sold for. They weren't better OR more reliable but they were cheaper. Others later followed the same path but have been even less reliable or functional than RC Exl. CH/Vollmers have been heavily copied but never equalled.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Antique

Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

Unless a minor flaw in tuning will destroy the engine, I can't imagine why having an electronic advance to smooth out the rough edges is a bad thing.
A flaw in the timing curve that aligns with flaws in port timing can indeed destroy an engine. Tuning can make the condition even worse. The wrong curve on an otherwise excellent engine design can wreak havoc with performance in given areas.

My expeiences have shown those relationships to be a combination of science, math, art, and magic.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Antique

RC EXL ignition circuits with no advance curve are available from Xu Liang if someone wants to make their own mechanical advance...
It requires some linkage from the throttle shaft to a moveable sensor...
Most plug and play people don't want the hassle...
Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Tired Old Man

For those into serious performance, the mechanical advance method is as good as things can get. Auto advance units all trade off performance in areas that mechanical control to a much higher performance level.

This is real old news and was beat to death after a couple of major name players started advertising auto advance ignitions as the "new standard, and superior" in engine ignitions and timing. Those new standards took performance down a couple of notches but it made for good advertising copy to sell more engines. Sort of like the multi bolt prop hub....
Old 05-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Tired Old Man

Regarding the difference between ignitions with the DLE 20-30 and 55. The 55 ignition would work with all of them but you would have to run premium grade gas with the 20 and 30. An alternative would be to alter the static timing a little to the negative position.

I'm not going to bother explaining why. It's all been covered before with discussions on compression ratios, RPM, and timing.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:32 AM
goatnick
My Feedback: (11)

Ralph who carries the RCEXL ign.with no advace curve in US,
Thanks
Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Antique

Don't think anyone does, but I order the circuits from Xu Liang to use with my conversions...They are just bare circuits and require a spark coil and are put inside the mount....
Old 05-18-2011, 12:31 PM
captinjohn

Where do you get the coils for the ignition you talk about? Thanks Capt,n

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.