Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Migration to Spektrum DX6i

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Migration to Spektrum DX6i

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 AM
ibellinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Migration to Spektrum DX6i

Hello

Hope someone can help. I found myself with a Spektrum DX6i and several 2.4Ghz receivers available for my Tamiya tanks. So I tried to migrate my King Tiger from it's trusty old Futaba Skysport. Beyond getting the receiver bound to the Tx I get nothing - no response to control inputs - flashing lights in the DMD units but not much else. PLEASE can someone give me a step by step guide as to how to get the job done?

Many thanks

Ian
Old 07-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Migration to Spektrum DX6i

Did you go through the setup process again?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:27 AM
ibellinger

Won't let me - 2 flashing orange lights on one DMDunit and one green on the other. No lights on the receiver. Pressing the "set"button has no effect. I don't even know which of channels 1, 2, 3 and 4 correspond to which sockets on the 2.4Ghz receiver (Spektrum AR6200). I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this!!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got several Spektrums and they work great with Tamiya King Tigers. 

To start, you need to make sure your DX6i and the rx are communicating and bound properly.  If it's a genuine Spektrum rx, you will have a constant orange light on inside the rx if it is bound properly to the tx.  If not, then you will need to bind the tx to the rx.  The instruction manual should be helpful here.  Until you get the solid light on your rx, the problem isn't with the tank.  The radio and rx aren't communicating. 

Once you've got a solid orange light, install the rx, and connect the rx to the dmd as follows (disregard the numbered tags on the wires from the dmd):

DMD                              Receiver
Turr.                               Rudder                 
M.Gun                           Elevator
Throt                             Throttle
Rudd                             Aileron

Once connected, consult your DMD manual, and reprogram the dmd and be careful to only move the elevator stick about 75% of the way (this helps the cannon and mg fire). 

Note:  This is the Tamiya recommended setup.  You can mix the channels up if you'd like to suit your own taste as to which stick runs what.

I've got many Tamiya tanks (including 3 King tigers), and they all run on Spektrums just fine.

Congratulations on moving up to 2.4 GHZ, you're going to love it.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM
ibellinger

Iseem to have a fundamental issue here. I can only get the Rx to light up (steady orange - good bind) with a secondary battery connected to the bat/bind socket - connecting the DMDunit to the Rx appears to give me no power on the Rx (butI do get power on the DMDunits 'cos I get lights on them). Even with this secondary power setup I can't actually get any response to any sort of control input. I am totally baffled. I just have no ideas at all as to where to go from here. I know the Tx and Rx are good - they were flying a TRex 500 perfectly happily until a few days ago.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 AM
ibellinger

Just checked again and it seems to me that there is NO POWER getting onto the Rx from the DMD unit.  But why..............????
Old 07-15-2011, 11:43 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I am a veteran Spektrum user and Iran into a similar problem the other day with sone new recievers, I had the leads from the Tamiya DMDin the receiver backwards on my Tiger. I switched them around and Voila, all is well. You may have to shave the tabs off the plugs for spektrum receivers but my tiger runs just fine now!

Iuse the XBOXstyle set up wher Idrive with the left stick and fight with the right stick.

Rudder-Rudder
Throttle-Throttle
MGun-ELEV
Turret-Aileron

Works great and makes sense to the HALO generation like me.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM
ibellinger

Nahhh. Already shaved off the tabs. Makes no difference which way I put in the plugs I don't seem to get any power onto the Rx.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:33 PM
ibellinger

Just tried a different Rx with the same result. For some reason the DMDunit is getting power (because it lights up with 2 ambers) but it can't put power onto the Rx. I am totally stumped with this.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:47 PM
ibellinger

...........and for the final post of this sad saga for this evening - I just tried the old 40Mhz Futaba Rx/Tx combo with the same result. So I guess that points the finger firmly at the DMDunit.............................bud it worked a few days ago!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:19 AM
wright 971

Hi First is make sure the RX is conected correctly white wires to the lettering on the RX,Charge the battery to make sure its fully charged.Now start from the begining with the setup read instruction manual for the Tiger and the DX6I(got a very cheap Pershing they said it wouldnt move because they didnt read the instructions)I had it running in ten minutes from postman delivery with a DX6I.It will take you less time to read the instuctions than write a post.

regards pete
Old 07-16-2011, 01:52 AM
ibellinger

YAY!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I've got it running - thanks everyone.  Now if someone can just tell me how to get the main gun and machine gun to work from the auxiliary switches rather than from the trims my joy would be complete!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to wire them directly to the switches from either the trim pots or the board connections. I usually atatch them at the trims. Not hard to do at all . One wire to the positive point you want ; main gun , the other wire to the center pin = nuetral. For the machine gun you use the other pin for power and second wire again to the center pin= nuetral.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

DX-6i doesn't have the trim post like a DX-5e or Skysport.  You have to cut the wiring bundle and I am hesitant to even mention this as you can very easily turn your radio into a parts donor.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:48 AM
ibellinger

Doubt I'll even consider it in that case!!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:56 AM
wright 971

Hi Read the DX manual Dont cut no wires you dont need to .Go to channels mixing you can set the guns to fire by mixing ,or if you set the gun elevation channel to +125% and - 125% all you need to do is move the stick to full up or down and they will fire.

regards pete
Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 PM
ibellinger

Phew!!!  Thanks Pete I'll see what I can work out from the manual.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:52 AM
ibellinger

May thanks everyone for all the advice! Now I have my King Tiger running right and with the guns working directly through the right stick (+-125%travel adjust).

Great job!!

Ian