Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

wires and plugs???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:56 AM
BlindObject
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wires and plugs???

So Ive been looking around and it seems everyone loooves deans plugs, but I really dont understand why theyre so great. Why are they so popular? They dont look very weather proof. I myself been using HXT 4mm, they seem to clip on firmly and they look pretty water resistant. Should I move to deans? And whats the best wire gauge to use? I got mostly 3s batteries and a 80a and 120a escs.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:52 AM
kaycerc

Default RE: wires and plugs???

ORIGINAL: BlindObject

So Ive been looking around and it seems everyone loooves deans plugs, but I really dont understand why theyre so great. Why are they so popular? They dont look very weather proof. I myself been using HXT 4mm, they seem to clip on firmly and they look pretty water resistant. Should I move to deans? And whats the best wire gauge to use? I got mostly 3s batteries and a 80a and 120a escs.
Deans Plugs have been around the hobby for decades, I started using them back in the 1980s, they're pretty much the industry standard. Other brands have come and gone over the years, and Deans Plugs are the primary option offered by almost every battery manufacturer on the market. They even upgraded to the larger tabbed current Deans "Ultra" Plugs many years ago for a larger contact area that's been pretty much proven almost as good as direct wiring. The MAIN advantage with them is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to hook them up backwards, and create a short that will blow up/ruin a LiPO battery pack NOT the case with theHXT 4mm plugs you're advocating (as shown in the photo below).

To quote a posting on another forum -
"Over the past year HobbyCity has sold the following connector under the name "HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector". It was also the primarily used connector on the larger lipos. These connectors look good on paper but they have made one very bad design choice (or flaw as I see it), they are all the same. Most connector types have totally different male and female housings but not these. In fact the only difference between the "battery" connector and "esc" connector is the placement of the bullets inside the housing. Because of this design choice, 2 battery packs can be directly, and fully, connected to each other!!! This "completes the circuit" as it is said in electronics and causes a direct short."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15280.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1670941  
Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: kaycerc

Deans Plugs have been around the hobby for decades, I started using them back in the 1980s, they're pretty much the industry standard. Other brands have come and gone over the years, and Deans Plugs are the primary option offered by almost every battery manufacturer on the market. They even upgraded to the larger tabbed current Deans ''Ultra'' Plugs many years ago for a larger contact area that's been pretty much proven almost as good as direct wiring. The MAIN advantage with them is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to hook them up backwards, and create a short that will blow up/ruin a LiPO battery pack NOT the case with the HXT 4mm plugs you're advocating (as shown in the photo below).

To quote a posting on another forum -
''Over the past year HobbyCity has sold the following connector under the name ''HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector''. It was also the primarily used connector on the larger lipos. These connectors look good on paper but they have made one very bad design choice (or flaw as I see it), they are all the same. Most connector types have totally different male and female housings but not these. In fact the only difference between the ''battery'' connector and ''esc'' connector is the placement of the bullets inside the housing. Because of this design choice, 2 battery packs can be directly, and fully, connected to each other!!! This ''completes the circuit'' as it is said in electronics and causes a direct short.''
well at that point you deserve what you get IMO seeing you KNOW you are doing a direct short

I use Traxxas connectors didn't like deans. I've thought about going over to EC5's, but with how much I plopped in traxxas connectors, and how many I'd have to change it isn't really worth it. If you like what you have, and don't do stupid things like plug 2 batteries into one another there should be no issue with what you use
Old 10-07-2011, 11:25 AM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I use Traxxas connectors didn't like deans. I've thought about going over to EC5's, but with how much I plopped in traxxas connectors, and how many I'd have to change it isn't really worth it. If you like what you have, and don't do stupid things like plug 2 batteries into one another there should be no issue with what you use
I "tried" traxxass connectors, for a short period of time, and I found they made such a tight fit that it left me battling every time I went to disconnect them, that finally resulted in a broken wire (because I was having to yank it around so much every time to get it loose, and probably more bouncing and moving while operating the vehicle because the plugs are so comparatively heavy). I changed those packs quickly back to Deans.

I guess it comes down to "whatever works for you."
But the other thing that comes to mind is that if I (or a friend) forget to charge a pack at the track, if we're using the same type of connector we can easily help each other out. Not the case if either of us is using some other brand of connector.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Foxy

Deans man here. Couldn't tell you why though, just always have bought deans. They're easy enough to solder but they're fiddly to unplug in a rush, I'm sure there must be easier connectors to use. I'll carry on using Deans though, just trust em. Although I have to say, they do get warm in the BL Mugen on 6S. Not dangerously so, but I must be nearing their limit.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:10 PM
BlindObject
My Feedback: (11)

Is there a difference in how much amps each can take?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

I use traxxas, you have to put them together correctly to get them to work well. I've used many other people's traxxas connectors and they were super stiff, they didn't install them correctly. I've also heard stories of the tabs popping out when connecting a battery, again, improper installation. I've even seen some come straight from traxxas not put on correctly. no surprise there really. They work really well, with a secure hold, but easily removable, IF you work to get them assembled correctly. Deans are probably easier to put on, I like EC3/5s too. I've even become partial to hobbyking's XT60s. I just started out with traxxas, so that's probably what I'll stick with from now on.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:35 AM
chase1

assembled properly i think the traxxas plugs are the best choice. the deans are good plugs but the traxxas plugs to me are easier to grip and unplug, haveequal contact area,and like the deans they are very hard, ifnot impossible,to plug in backwards. most peaple stick with the deans because that is what they are used to, but after using both,the traxxas plug works better for me. also, i have heard stories of the deans arcing and frying escsif you touch the plugs together with the connectors polaritybackwards so if you pic the deans plugs pay attention when plugging in your battery.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:12 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Anderson power poles, They crimp on and have worked well for me.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:54 AM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

"Crimp on"........ really?

Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 AM
kaycerc

Is there a difference in how much amps each can take?
It's really not much of an issue, as you're still limited by wire size. Ultimately it comes down to the simple premise that if your plug is becoming warm during use then it's not large enough to handle the amp load, otherwise as long as they're not melting from being overtaxed you should be good to go.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 AM
redfisher1974

''Crimp on''....[img][/img].... really? [img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

Sorry but Anderson power poles have been used in RC planes for many years and its a proven fact when done right a crimp is a better then solder... I have seen studies done. I also like how you can run packs in series or parallel without any adapters. I run these in my 55 mph firestorm and 65 mph flux.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8ODI8fAU_k[/youtube]
Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 AM
kaycerc

Sorry but Anderson power poles have been used in RC planes for many years and its a proven fact when done right a crimp is a better then solder... I have seen studies done. I also like how you can run packs in series or parallel without any adapters. I run these in my 55 mph firestorm and 65 mph flux.
Amp draw and drag of cars is WAY more than any plane using comperable BL system.
And I've yet to see any imperical data that would prove a crimp on connection is better than solder. Sorry, but rumors like that never prove to be true.
In addition, with all ther vibration we create with cars/trucks (especially banging around offroad) your suggestion doesn't make much sense on a connection that can rattle loose. The airplane guys spend nearly their entire time in the air, no vibration, unlike rc cars and trucks whose entire runtime has heavier constant vibration considerations.

Anderson "tried" introducing them to the car-market 20 years ago, I was at a big race when their rep was trolling the pits, and even he said "in this application (cars), we recommend soldering the connection over crimping." The other thing is that your plugs are silver plated, which is also proven to be less functional than gold plated connectors, even the computer and stereo business supports this point.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 AM
redfisher1974

Wrong, My flux draws 144 amps of the line and the power poles hold up fine. Years of bashing and one has never come undone. I can dig up the studies done that show crimps are better. Solder is cheaper thats for sure.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 AM
kaycerc

I can dig up the studies done that show crimps are better. Solder is cheaper thats for sure.
Blah, blah, blah - post your (fake) studies, or let it go.
If it were fact, the soldering iron would have been outdated decades ago. Try again!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 AM
redfisher1974

The reason why crimping is by far the superior method of making a good electrical connection is that a properly compressed connection (that means, the right tool, for the right size connector and the right pressure applied to the crimp) will make the wires & connector pretty much become one. Some people refer to this as a "cold weld".

This is what a proper crimp looks like if you cut it half
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/CrimpTools/GL.jpg

As you can see, the wires & connector become one. It eliminates all voids between wires, thus keeping any air out. This prevents corrossion, which is the #1 problem in electrical connections. Corrosion increases the resistance of the connection, which leads to overheating.

Check out this article "This is NOT a crimper"...good information
http://www.terminaltown.com/Pages/Page7.html
This one also has a lot of good information.
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles...rimptools.html

While soldering does "seal" most of the connection area, mechanically, it is a fairly weak connection,
Old 10-10-2011, 06:26 AM
redfisher1974

I never said it should replace solder, its more costly and has to be done right.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 AM
kaycerc

I never said it should replace solder, its more costly and has to be done right. And you my friend are a jack off.
Sure you did. And you my friend, at least according to your mother, are a little jerk off.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:37 AM
redfisher1974

From Nasa. I am no way against solder, I use it all the time. I just feel that crimps can be used on a rc if done right.

[link=http://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/links/sections/201%20General%20Requirements.html]Lookie[/link]
Old 10-10-2011, 06:43 AM
redfisher1974

Amp draw and drag of cars is WAY more than any plane using comperable BL system.
And I've yet to see any imperical data that would prove a crimp on connection is better than solder. Sorry, but rumors like that never prove to be true.
In addition, with all ther vibration we create with cars/trucks (especially banging around offroad) your suggestion doesn't make much sense on a connection that can rattle loose. The airplane guys spend nearly their entire time in the air, no vibration, unlike rc cars and trucks whose entire runtime has heavier constant vibration considerations.

Anderson ''tried'' introducing them to the car-market 20 years ago, I was at a big race when their rep was trolling the pits, and even he said ''in this application (cars), we recommend soldering the connection over crimping.'' The other thing is that your plugs are silver plated, which is also proven to be less functional than gold plated connectors, even the computer and stereo business supports this point.
I see you edited your post to try and back yourself up... Silver is a better conductor then gold.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:16 AM
kaycerc

Anderson ''tried'' introducing them to the car-market 20 years ago, I was at a big race when their rep was trolling the pits, and even he said ''in this application (cars), we recommend soldering the connection over crimping.'' The other thing is that your plugs are silver plated, which is also proven to be less functional than gold plated connectors, even the computer and stereo business supports this point.
I see you edited your post to try and back yourself up... Silver is a better conductor then gold.
Yeah, that's why they use silver-plated connectors in the computer and stereo industry..................Oh, that's right, they don't!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 AM
kaycerc

From Nasa. I am no way against solder, I use it all the time. I just feel that crimps can be used on a rc if done right.
Hasn't NASA had some major equipment failures, and use the lowest bidding contractor or all suppliers? That's what I thought.

Again - RC planes and RC cars are two entirely different concepts of what's applicable.

Oh, and I remember the other reason people abandoned those Anderson plugs - they're constructed with very hard/brittle plastic, and shattered with an alarming regularity.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Foxy

Kayce, silver IS a better conductor than gold. This is not debatable or a matter of opinion, it simply is.

Gold is used on many connectors because it does not oxidise like silver eventually does.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Foxy

Hasn't NASA had some major equipment failures, and use the lowest bidding contractor or all suppliers? That's what I thought.
Not sure how this relates to the physics of conductivity.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 AM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: Foxy
Gold is used on many connectors because it does not oxidise like silver eventually does.
And hence, a better connector - espcecially for our purposes, where said connectors are so readily exposed to the elements and corrosion and oxidation.
'Nuff said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.