Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20 wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DLE 20 wont idle

My DLE20 wont come down to idle. I tried leaning and richening the low end screw with no results, I cleaned out the screens with no results as well. anyone else having this problem? Thanks, Rotten
Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE 20 wont idle

First read the sticky at the top of the forum.
Have you removed the idle stop screw?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:25 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

A bit more information would be helpful. Is it new? Did it idle before and just develop this problem?
While you are at it, include info on the oil you are using and what mixture ratio. What prop are you using?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you using the stock DLE plug, if so change it to a NGK CM-6 .

Karol
Old 11-14-2011, 09:54 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

If the idle stop screw has been removed and you're certain the throttle arm is moving fully closed and can't go any further, you may have a loose throttle valve screw, fairly common on the DLE20 carb. The loose screw will allow the throttle valve to move a skew on the throttle shaft and bind in the bore of the carb body not letting it close fully or return to idle.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:19 AM
Rotten40851

Sorry for the left out info, the engine is fairly new, I am using a NGKCM-6 plug.and was running an APC16-6 and a 16-8 prop. The idle screw has been removed. I have also removed the tension spring on the throttle arm.I have about a gallon of fuel throught it, I am using 30:1 gas to oil NONSynthetic oil. I have the engine in a Yak 54 that I have about 25-30 flights on already. It just started doing this out of the blue.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:58 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

You should replace the throttle arm spring as it helps to center the throttle plate and lessens the possibility of uneven wear.

Karol
Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 AM
soarrich

Sounds like there is an air leak. First check the both sides of the carb mounting block, something may loose, the block to the engine, the carb to the block. check that the block isn't cracked. If you don't find a problem there check that the gasket between the crankcase halves is leaking, either a blown gasket or the crankcase bolts loose.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 AM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm with Jodi if this has just come out of the blue. Pull the carb, close the throttle, and hold it over a flashlight so you can see if the throttle plate is centered in the bore of the carb.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Rotten40851

wich screw is the screw you are refering to? ( throttle valve screw)
Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Rotten40851

I already took the return spring out, how would i go about making a spacer if I needed to center the shaft back. However this problem occured before I took the spring out. It was mentioned to me at the field that the spring could be the cause of the problem in the first place. And after seeing it reccomended in the tower manual I did it.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 AM
soarrich

Cut a !/4" piece of fuel tubing, put it on the shaft under the arm. Cut the tubing at a slight angle for a little fudge factor.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once that spring is removed most engine manufacturers consider the new engine warranty to be voided. Why do people remove something that causes no harm but generates much good? Hopefully you'll find Tower more useful when you require the future carb repair. Perhaps you should also contact Tower about your idle problems for correction. About the time you do you'll likely find out Tower doesn't know what they are talking about where gas engines are concerned and determine you made a mistake by following their directions the first time around.

The throttle plate screws are in the middle of the shaft that retains the throttle plate at the back of the plate. First rule with things mechanical: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Second rule: If it is broke don't make it worse. Thrid rule: if you don't know what you're up against and without mechanical aptitude, contact others with more knowledge and ability before proceeding further. I'll leave it to you to determine which rules of mechanics you've broken.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:26 AM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
First rule with things mechanical: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Second rule: If it is broke don't make it worse. Thrid rule: if you don't know what you're up against and without mechanical aptitude, contact others with more knowledge and ability before proceeding further. I'll leave it to you to determine which rules of mechanics you've broken.
LOL [sm=lol.gif] So True!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 AM
dirtybird

Once that spring is removed most engine manufacturers consider the new engine warranty to be voided. Why do people remove something that causes no harm but generates much good? Hopefully you'll find Tower more useful when you require the future carb repair. Perhaps you should also contact Tower about your idle problems for correction. About the time you do you'll likely find out Tower doesn't know what they are talking about where gas engines are concerned and determine you made a mistake by following their directions the first time around.

The throttle plate screws are in the middle of the shaft that retains the throttle plate at the back of the plate. First rule with things mechanical: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Second rule: If it is broke don't make it worse. Thrid rule: if you don't know what you're up against and without mechanical aptitude, contact others with more knowledge and ability before proceeding further. I'll leave it to you to determine which rules of mechanics you've broken.
Why do you bother to write such drivel? The man is asking for help. All you give him is a sarcastic put down.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Tired Old Man

I write such "drivel" because there is a rather large group, apparently germain to the RCU gas engine thread, that have no understanding of the fundamentals with anything mechanical. They come in here asking for help AFTER they boogered up what had been a perfectly good piece of machinery. That lack of basic understanding sets the stage for everything wrong that follows. Following that, they don't have a clue about linkage set up, connectors, clevises and ball links, servo requirements, prop type and sizes, engine break in, preferred oils and ratios, fuel selection, engine tuning, engine cooling, spark plug selection, spark plug cap security, and a plethora of other items required before turning on the ignition for the first time. Think I'm wrong? Go back and review the questions asked repeatedly in the last 10 pages of this forum. Don't go any further back because depression will be well developed after reviewing the stupidity of far too many gas engine users, perhaps becoming insurmountable by the time you go back 30 pages. If you intend to become involved with something, take a little time to learn something about it before jumping in with both feet. If you don't know how a carb works for crissakes don't start tearing pieces off of it to "make it better".

The facts are already there. A well designed carb was renered less than adequate because the user had no understanding of the how and why it was made the way it was and therefore followed the direction of a firm with a long history of misrepresenting the way gas engines work. I'll toss this in because I'm certain it determined where the engine was obtained. He did buy it a little cheaper.

Had the user obtained an engine, any gas engine, from a source with knowledge of how they work he would have been better served. From this point forward it's up to those that have that understanding to educate them in the porper operation of a gasser, and the associated components that permit one to funtion in the manner intended. But first they need to know the first basic rules, which I spelled out quite clearly. As to the matter of a voided warranty, perhaps you were also unaware that most of the major manufacturers instantly void their warranty when you remove the carb return spring. The reason for that is because removal eventually destroys carb functionality.

So I started with the letter "A" when metaphorically describing the alphabet.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:57 AM
dirtybird

And now we get more sarcastic drivel.
Unfortunately there is no stated purpose of this forum.
I would like to think it is a place where beginners can get answers to his questions.
Apparently you regard this forum where a beginner must slog through large extraneous information to verify his question has not been previously answered before he can risk bothering the great guru from California.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Rotten40851

Tired old man is the reason so many RC clubs sre F&*Ced up. all you people do is complain about other people needing help, or engines making too much noise or some other stupid crap. I asked a simple question. if you are not willing to help or heard the question before, why bother to even respond, or read it for that matter. I am knowledgeable about gas And nitro engines that is why I was wondering if anyone had the same problem. We all get that Tiredold man knows his stuff so dont ever bother posting something thathe already knows. or he will rip you a new butthole. or spend two hours reading through 65 pages of other stuff you dont need to know to try to even find out if someone else even had the same problem.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Tired Old Man

There was (is) a DLE 20 thread that grew to well over 100 pages, containing, several times over, all the answers to questions people had about their DLE 20's. None of you want to read it but everything you need is contained within that thread. Many times over. However, many of you DO want everyone to spoon feed you information as you determine you need it. Same thing happened with the DLE 30. One guy even made the statement he thought it would require to much of HIS time to bother reading it. Then you have all the threads devoted to problems generated by purchasing the cheapest possible products, where the price alone should have suggested would be present.

That's not useless drivel, it's a fact of life. People have become too lazy to expend any effort or energy in helping themselves. They would rather have someone else do it for them. That's not bing mean spirited on my part in any way. Simply the truth and the way things have become. I will help anyone that demonstrates they really want to help themselves. If all they want is a handout then tough luck. Reading the newbie to gassers sticky is the first step in demonstrating the desire to help oneself, but so many of the questions about engines are provided by people that have clearly not read that sticky. That tells me they just want someone else to perform their due diligence for them. Leaving carb springs in place is noted in the sticky....

This is the ONLY RC forum exhibiting this kind of behavior. This forum never started out as a gas beginner forum, but as a place for gas engine discussion. It has only been with the advent of the 30cc and under engine class that it has devolved into something representing the lowest possible knowledge level. It's also the reason why about 90% of the experienced gas engine users moved on to other forums duscussing engines on more than the most rudimenatry levels.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:06 PM
dirtybird

There was (is) a DLE 20 thread that grew to well over 100 pages, containing, several times over, all the answers to questions people had about their DLE 20's. None of you want to read it but everything you need is contained within that thread. Many times over. However, many of you DO want everyone to spoon feed you information as you determine you need it. Same thing happened with the DLE 30. One guy even made the statement he thought it would require to much of HIS time to bother reading it. Then you have all the threads devoted to problems generated by purchasing the cheapest possible products, where the price alone should have suggested would be present.

That's not useless drivel, it's a fact of life. People have become too lazy to expend any effort or energy in helping themselves. They would rather have someone else do it for them. That's not bing mean spirited on my part in any way. Simply the truth and the way things have become. I will help anyone that demonstrates they really want to help themselves. If all they want is a handout then tough luck. Reading the newbie to gassers sticky is the first step in demonstrating the desire to help oneself, but so many of the questions about engines are provided by people that have clearly not read that sticky. That tells me they just want someone else to perform their due diligence for them. Leaving carb springs in place is noted in the sticky....

This is the ONLY RC forum exhibiting this kind of behavior. This forum never started out as a gas beginner forum, but as a place for gas engine discussion. It has only been with the advent of the 30cc and under engine class that it has devolved into something representing the lowest possible knowledge level. It's also the reason why about 90% of the experienced gas engine users moved on to other forums duscussing engines on more than the most rudimenatry levels.
That's a good idea uncle Tom. Move on,move on!
On this great new forum you could set up a system of rules where you must sign a list of forum threads that you have read. You could also have a quiz that new members must score a minimum value before they could post on this great new forum. That will keep the riff raff out.
BTW do you have a spelling checker and know how to use it? Check duscussing and rudimenatry
Old 11-15-2011, 01:22 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: dirtybird
Why do you bother to write such drivel? The man is asking for help. All you give him is a sarcastic put down.
Sadly, some people can only feel good about themselves if they are putting down others. []
Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Rotten40851

Thank you gentlemen, I took the carb off and noticed the screw that holds the disc on the throttle rod was almost off. Rotten. I have no problem helping anyone who needs help even if it was brought up already 2 years ago. feel free to ask me anything. If I can help, I will regardless. TiredOldMan, Take a Nap!!!! Rotten Out!!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Tired Old Man

I won't deny dumb thumbing the keyboard now and then, and I don't use Firefox. However, I am also not opposed to admitting a mistake from time to time, as just demonstrated. As for having a controlled forum...if you only new.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:04 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

In defense of TOM I had a carb problem. I got the rebuild kit. Looked up the diagram of the carb on the net and rebuilt it. I still had a issue. TOM took time out to call me give me some ideas of what I may need. He couldn't have been nicer and a very pleasant man. What he wants people to do is try first learn and then ask questions.
If I had the chance I would soak up as much information from him I could. I know he has made it much easier for me to care for my gas engines.
And I do know about the forum. I spend time there reading TOMS posts. Dennis PS A $4.00 can of air fixed my problem.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 PM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Knew?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.