Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

model Panther A Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default model Panther A Video

I took advantage of this ongoing dry weather we've been having out west to run one of my Panther A models. Here's a video clip.
I'll warn you ahead of time: if you don't like the sound of glow engines either mute your sound or don't watch the video.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuADm-9yLa8]Panther A[/link]

This guy performed really well today. Starting was easy even though I've not run it in many months; didn't need to use anything
beyond the on-board starter and glow driver batteries. Only issue was left turns; very tough in first gear. I washed out the brakes and the run began
with perfect turns both left and right in all three forward speeds but just before I started to film it decided not to cooperate. I believe the left
brake shoes are probably contaminated with oil after nearly 30 years. It will be a winter project to go over them.

Generating smoke has never been an issue for me. I run my engines rich to keep them cool-er which makes even more smoke.
I try to run castor- synthetic with only 10% nitro-methane.

Happy New Year everyone.

Jerry
Old 12-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
Default RE: model Panther A Video

Thanks, Jerry.   That was cool to watch.

30 years old?   I'm impressed.  It runs better than a 30 year old car.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Chow_Hound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks way cool. Good job!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for sharing! I do like the A model the best and this is a good representative.

~ Jeff
Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice Panther.

How about throwing one of these in it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLL9fGHtbnw&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 12-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

30 years old?
Yep, next year the model is 30 years old. The Webra engine used is a 1970's engine. As of last December
The entire firm of Webra sadly shut down completely; a sad day indeed... fortunately I have spare engines
and parts to last until Rapture.....

How about throwing one of these in it.
Nice sound, a bit large for 1/10 scale tanks. Never had any interest to go to larger scales.
I've been into 1/10 since forever. Problem with ignition engines and gasoline (petrol)
especially 4 cycles is they are difficult to keep cool. I didn't see any cooling components
in the video of the video even though it said it was running 'nitro'. Either a fan of some sort
or a water system/ radiator is a must. Usually when I see these small V8 engines they are equipped
with an out sized radiator which would never fit in a proportionally scaled tank. Any tank it would fit in
would probably be way under powered.

As most of you know in a model 2 cycle engine a great part of the cooling is the fuel itself...

In another model I have an OS 48 surpass 4 cycle; initially set up to run gas ( 40:1 - gas: Redline oil) using
a CD ignition system ( I used tiny NGK or Stitt plugs); had the entire setup
with TCSA to control timing. Ran wonderfully and sounded even better but I couldn't keep it cool enough. After
10 min or so the engine got so hot fuel would boil from carb and exhaust manifold would glow and it was NOT
running lean. Gave up and it runs ok on glow but not a stellar performer. The thing with 4 cycles is they
just run hotter even with glow fuel. A two cycle while noisier just run cooler. It stand to reason: a lot of
energy is going out the pipe as sound instead of being kept in the engine as heat. Since glow engines generate
their power at higher rpm the exhaust note isn't ever going to sound like a Maybach v12 no matter what I do.
So I have long excepted the shortcomings of what I run. I have studied muffler design and can effect some of
the higher frequencies but again there just are limitations.

Some years back I estimated for the weight of my tanks; 50- 100 lbs the Webra 6,5ccm engines I use
are just about correct power-wise to simulate the power to weight ratio of the full size machines.

They may not sound the way everyone thinks they should but the engine is very robust, easy to maintain
and very forgiving with fuels. When I made this video I'd just cracked open a new gallon of fuel which
probably contributed to the great engine performance I experienced yesterday. One of the important
variables in running this sort of setup is a reliable idle ( tick-over ) and I had it. It allows for smoother
shifting of gears as the centrifugal clutch is properly disengaged. Oddly enough I find that the German forum
members usually have some off-color comment about the engine sound to a greater degree than anywhere else.
I know things are probably even more restrictive over there. I say odd because the models were originally made
and sold in Germany. I've not found many kindred spirits over the years. Another reason why I keep my hand
in 1/16 scale....

I need to make a longer video that shows engine start-up, gear changing, reverse, turret functions and the like. Since I'm
my own video cam operator most of the time ( and I know it shows ) there's only so much I can do. That coupled with the
confined space I have to run in over here I'm more worried about running into the fence, I already made and fixed a hole
on the other side of the yard where I was distracted for a moment. Prior to beginning the video I drove the model from
the other side of the yard, roughly a 'U' shaped course over all manner of odd terrains, I used 2nd gear to get over to the video spot more quickly. 3rd gear is almost too fast in my opinion at full throttle although handy when traversing a larger open space and impressive on a dusty area.

Jerry

Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Well I'm glad you keep a hand in 1/16 scale. Without you I would never know about 1/10 scale 2 cycle tanks. I think they are cool. If you ever get a movie put together I would love to see it.