Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Rough terrain capabilities of MTs vs truggies/STs vs buggies?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rough terrain capabilities of MTs vs truggies/STs vs buggies?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:13 PM
1ne8ighty2wo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough terrain capabilities of MTs vs truggies/STs vs buggies?

I'm looking to get back into the hobby with a nitro basher and I'm wondering which route to take as for as type of rig. I like the looks of truggies and buggies somewhat more than monster trucks, but I'm wondering if driving on rough terrain would be hindered if I didn't have an MT. It seems like MTs would have the most clearance (and thus better on more terrains like thick grass), then truggies/STs, then buggies, but I'm wondering if that is just an illusion based on body design. Or, if buggies/truggies/STs are lower, if that even matters or if they can all go on the same surfaces fairly equally. Thanks!

In case you're wondering, I plan to get a Savage if I go the MT route, and possibly a Hyper 7 for the buggie route, but not sure about the truggy. Any imput would be great (my price range is about $450 max)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:22 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rough terrain capabilities of MTs vs truggies/STs vs buggies?

huh, for offroad bashing i would go moster truck, i have a traxxas T-maxx (first run year) and i beat the hell out of it, i run it in the snow, something i will never do with my ofna 9.5.

but buggies/truggies do fine on pretty mild off-road terrain, they handle alot better thats for sure, tires matter alot when it comes to any terrain. they also jump better.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:05 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 1/8 truggy will out perform a monster truck in every possible way. period. it is just as capable off road, handles better, jumps better, and is more stable. I don't care what brand/model you you look at. I have owned at least one of every major brand (HPI,Traxxas, Losi, AE)of monster truck and now have own several trugies (HPI, Thunder Tiger, Mugen, Ofna, Losi)and I will never buy another monster truck again!
Buggies aren't as good on real rough off road as truggies. but on a smoother dirt surfaces a buggy CAN out handle a truggy and they can be slightly fster since they don't weigh as much. But if you are looking for a good all around basher I would dsay get yourself a truggy and don't look back!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:20 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I disagree. With an MT you can run much bigger tires.. Truggies are of course much better for a track, but I disagree that they will be quite as good or better in thicker grass or rutty offroad/construction site type stuff than for ex. a Losi XXL.. MT's also wheelie, if you care about that.. And the 2-speed shift is another fun factor... Also, for really huge air, I'd prefer an MT.. A truggy will blow a shock coming down from 15-feet up before an XXL or Savage will. And truggy shocks cost 100 bucks a set too.. Truggies are just more for racing IMO..
Old 01-21-2012, 06:44 AM
supertib

No contest...truggy smokes a MT on everything over the ground...... my buddy owns LST XXL and my Mugen 5T would go over rougher terrain at higher speeds with less issues..... Truggies are superior in every way except looking cool ! My buddy with the XXL ended up buying a Truggy after that day......he thought tall tires and high COG meants offroad stability, all tall tires and high COG do is make you tip over while the truggy carves up the dirt and stays flat !!!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I disagree. With an MT you can run much bigger tires.. Truggies are of course much better for a track, but I disagree that they will be quite as good or better in thicker grass or rutty offroad/construction site type stuff than for ex. a Losi XXL.. MT's also wheelie, if you care about that.. And the 2-speed shift is another fun factor... Also, for really huge air, I'd prefer an MT.. A truggy will blow a shock coming down from 15-feet up before an XXL or Savage will. And truggy shocks cost 100 bucks a set too.. Truggies are just more for racing IMO..

do you have any clue what your talking about half the time ?

a Truggy will take jumps that will turn your MT into a bag of parts !

we do 15'jumps all day long, every day......15' high...45'long landing on rock hard ground all day long baby !, all day long ! lap after lap after lap............

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLHjqFVQlzA[/youtube]

And we have had both Losi XXL and Savage XL at our track... guess what was breaking over the big jump ? the stupid Monster Trucks......... the MT guys stopped coming as the MT's couldn't handle the air...they broke every single time they ran on the track...... meanwhile the truggies take that jump all day long....the Serpent even whacked the trailer at full tilt and didn't break !!! Anyways the truth of the matter is a Truggy is far tougher and far more capable then a MT...

Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 AM
HerrSavage

There aren't that many RTR truggies - or good reliable used ones - to choose from either.. Not easy to get a new truggy set up for under $800..

And if somebody can't make an XXL work off-road he really know what he's doing... I can throw either of my LST2's down anywhere and rip it up.. You can too with a truggy, though I still don't think they're going to be as good in taller grass. And on really flat stuff for me they"re just kind of boring.. And again, they cost twice as much... MT's aren't race cars, but that doesn't mean they can't be fun.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:01 AM
supertib

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbMPzualiPs[/youtube]

Just for reference, on the backside of the jump there are two cargo trailers....we hit 15'height as we go well above the trailers 14'height and we travel 45' from takeoff to landing......... the ground is rock hard clay..... we have had over 100 different truggies take this jump and not one has blown a shock.......... But to date no MT has been able to clear that jump more then 3 times without something breaking............Truggies dont blow shocks on landing since the chassis slaps the ground and absorbs the impact...a MT however will blow the shocks as the chassis wont slap slap down...............Any more doubts a Truggy can't handle a 15 'jump ? I have a dozen other videos I could post if needed !
Old 01-21-2012, 07:04 AM
supertib

There aren't that many RTR truggies - or good reliable used ones - to choose from either.. Not easy to get a new truggy set up for under $800..

And if somebody can't make an XXL work off-road he really know what he's doing... I can throw either of my LST2's down anywhere and rip it up.. You can too with a truggy, though I still don't think they're going to be as good in taller grass. And on really flat stuff for me they''re just kind of boring.. And again, they cost twice as much... MT's aren't race cars, but that doesn't mean they can't be fun.

taller grass a MT wins...over rough terrain a Truggy wins...if the ground is soo chopped up a truggy can't pass, a MT just tips over anyways.........tall grass is boring to me..I Am into running in the dirt..construction sites......jumps, rough terrain.... I Will leave the long grass to the guys who want to go slow..... truggies are all about Speed.... MT's are all about going slow

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2mcK8J1fMg&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLC396EEC7780D03AB[/youtube]
Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 AM
quietnas1

I agree with you on alot of stuff supertib but I can't agree with you on this one. Yes truggies hit some big air on the track and yes they out handle monster trucks but they can't tackle any terrain you throw at them. I have gone through grass that's as high as my hips with my Savage, I have gone through mangrove roots with it as well. Of course I drove slow and treated it line a rock crawler. A truggy just doesn't have the clearance to handle stuff like that. Granted I have bigger tires s well. In tall grass I have driven at wot and taken turns without flipping. Is it as fast as a truggy? No. But honestly she doesn't really flip much. Also there are plenty of videos of monster trucks doing 20ft high back flips, or jumping of a cliff or mound at a construction site and they just keep on going.

There is no way a truggy can sit that high off the ground. I'm talking about the ground to the bottom of the chassis. Truggies do not have the same ground clearance at all imo.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 AM
HerrSavage

Landing jumps on downward slopes on perfectly manicured tracks is not bashing.. Most people don't run on tracks like that all day long, and all your other videos are just high speed passes back and forth.

So yes, I know what I'm talking about. An MT wouldn't clear that jump, not because it can't handle the landing, but because it probably can't get a good launch - mostly becaue of traction.. But then they're not meant for tracks like that anyway. Get it through your head chief. Truggies are for the track - MT's are for everything else.

Some people have no choice but to run in or near their yard, in a park, at some construction site down the road, or whatever.. And across the broad spectrum, MT's are just more versatile. Furthermore, as fast as truggies are on a track, they're frankly pretty boring in a parking lot. And yeah, so what? Sometimes to get my nitro fix I have no choice but to go run around a parking lot... And with my MT's I can jump off steps, wheelie, do 2-wheel donuts, tear off into a grass field, I still like the 2-speed shift, etc.. Furthermore, your average MT is more impressive on top-end than a truggy IMO. At top speed most truggies are out of gearing, or the engine is revving so high it sounds like it's really straining, or should be going faster than it is. Truggies have great acceleration, but they aren't as impressive at top-speed as an MT - which weighs twice as much too... A stock Savage XL or Losi XXL has impressive top speed, with a freight-train-like momentum... And having run truggies and MT's and buggies and an SC8 and a DM-1 etc etc over the years, an MT at full-tilt peaking out in 2nd gear is just more impressive than the top-speed on a truggy... Plus it'll wheelie down low. A Losi XXL should hit 45mph right out of the box. That for 600 bucks with a Spektrum radio and everything you need except fuel and maybe a battery or two.

To the OP, if you want a top-end truggy, go to amain or whatever and price out what everything will run you. If you want to spend that much, then launch at WOT off a ramp and try double back flips, go for it. Make vids - I'd love to see them.

But honestly, I really think that the vast majority of people that invest $1,000 in a truggy kit are simply not going to go out and bash it with abandon. There's a cost-psychology factor involved, that you obviously just do not comprehend. With a $500 MT I'll say screw it and try something ridiculous, and won't care as much. I know I can get the spares from jennysrcparts on ebay for dirt cheap, and quickly even. Then I'll throw it in the cellar afterwards and take it back out six months later if that's how it works out.. Not everybody here is a freakin' RC dealer with a mountain of stuff, having lost ALL perspective of what it's like for normal people just looking to have some fun with a toy truck. With a RACE truggy that costs twice as much, with shocks that cost 100 bucks, and top-end servos, and engines with matching $100 pipes and $60 clutches, etc.., most people are just not going to go all out bashing.. You don't even really bash - you test engines...

If you've got the money, fine. Go for it. Splurge out for a truggy with all the goodies. In the past, maybe an RTR RC8T or Jammin X2 CRT would have been a good call. Still, I believe the RTR RC8T for ex. had plastic shocks, and some other cut-corners.. For a track, where everything is all uptight and the conversations revolve around drilling shock pistons and going up or down 1,000 weight in a diff and changing the camber by a degree, fine.... But for having fun and messing around, a solid MT like a Savage or XXL just fits the niche better...

IMO.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Why can't you fit big huge tires on a truggy? Worst case scenario you take the wing off. No biggie. ThunderbirdJunkie's LCG Savage has no more ground clearance than any truggy, and his other Savages just flop over when they encounter anything with one tire.

As ThunderbirdJunkie has said billions of times before, he loves his Savages, but they ain't got nothin' on any truggy of any sort.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 AM
yakfish

Big tires on a truggy??? How about some 40 series Proline Moabs? Just as much ground clearance as a Savage but wider. More stable too. Only downside is it is slow like a Savage too!!

Old 01-21-2012, 11:22 AM
yakfish

Well here is a list to get you started. All $800 or less.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Engine-Type-1
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAPPS&P=0
http://www.nitrohouse.com/Car-Kits-N...duct_info.html
Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 AM
yakfish

Landing jumps on downward slopes on perfectly manicured tracks is not bashing.. Most people don't run on tracks like that all day long, and all your other videos are just high speed passes back and forth.

So yes, I know what I'm talking about. An MT wouldn't clear that jump, not because it can't handle the landing, but because it probably can't get a good launch - mostly becaue of traction.. But then they're not meant for tracks like that anyway. Get it through your head chief. Truggies are for the track - MT's are for everything else.

Some people have no choice but to run in or near their yard, in a park, at some construction site down the road, or whatever.. And across the broad spectrum, MT's are just more versatile. Furthermore, as fast as truggies are on a track, they're frankly pretty boring in a parking lot. And yeah, so what? Sometimes to get my nitro fix I have no choice but to go run around a parking lot... And with my MT's I can jump off steps, wheelie, do 2-wheel donuts, tear off into a grass field, I still like the 2-speed shift, etc.. Furthermore, your average MT is more impressive on top-end than a truggy IMO. At top speed most truggies are out of gearing, or the engine is revving so high it sounds like it's really straining, or should be going faster than it is. Truggies have great acceleration, but they aren't as impressive at top-speed as an MT - which weighs twice as much too... A stock Savage XL or Losi XXL has impressive top speed, with a freight-train-like momentum... And having run truggies and MT's and buggies and an SC8 and a DM-1 etc etc over the years, an MT at full-tilt peaking out in 2nd gear is just more impressive than the top-speed on a truggy... Plus it'll wheelie down low. A Losi XXL should hit 45mph right out of the box. That for 600 bucks with a Spektrum radio and everything you need except fuel and maybe a battery or two.

To the OP, if you want a top-end truggy, go to amain or whatever and price out what everything will run you. If you want to spend that much, then launch at WOT off a ramp and try double back flips, go for it. Make vids - I'd love to see them.

But honestly, I really think that the vast majority of people that invest $1,000 in a truggy kit are simply not going to go out and bash it with abandon. There's a cost-psychology factor involved, that you obviously just do not comprehend. With a $500 MT I'll say screw it and try something ridiculous, and won't care as much. I know I can get the spares from jennysrcparts on ebay for dirt cheap, and quickly even. Then I'll throw it in the cellar afterwards and take it back out six months later if that's how it works out.. Not everybody here is a freakin' RC dealer with a mountain of stuff, having lost ALL perspective of what it's like for normal people just looking to have some fun with a toy truck. With a RACE truggy that costs twice as much, with shocks that cost 100 bucks, and top-end servos, and engines with matching $100 pipes and $60 clutches, etc.., most people are just not going to go all out bashing.. You don't even really bash - you test engines...

If you've got the money, fine. Go for it. Splurge out for a truggy with all the goodies. In the past, maybe an RTR RC8T or Jammin X2 CRT would have been a good call. Still, I believe the RTR RC8T for ex. had plastic shocks, and some other cut-corners.. For a track, where everything is all uptight and the conversations revolve around drilling shock pistons and going up or down 1,000 weight in a diff and changing the camber by a degree, fine.... But for having fun and messing around, a solid MT like a Savage or XXL just fits the niche better...

IMO.
If price is your major concern I have to let you know I have never spent $500 on a trugyy(or any other single RC until just recently, but that is another topic for another thread). I buy almost all of my RC's used and most truggies i have owned have only cost me about $300-$400 OR even less. I am not a racer. I am a basher. I have beat the crap out of several different truggies and they have all taken the same amount of abuse as any one of my MT's and have come out of it in as good or better shape afterwards. Again I don't want to come across like I am bashing the Mt class because i'm not. Truggies will just outperform an MT everytime. I have found the cars designed as racers make awesome bashers! I personally believe the toughness of the Savage is overrated. I know from my personal experience that I have spend more time fixing it than I ever had to spend fixing any of my truggies.

I may concede your point that MT's have 2 or even 3 speed trannys (the Thunder Tiger ST-1 has an optional 2 speed you can install) which can be cool (for a while). But they are aslo usually weak point in the drivetrain and is just one more part that can and will break. If you want wheelie out of a truggy just put some diff lock in the center diff and wheelie away!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm not a racer, I dont run on a track, and I dont buy $300-$400 engines to put in my trucks. I just dont care for racing mainly because I dont really have the time needed, I dont have the money, nor do I have a track nearby. So, I bash at the park, in the yard, at the gravel pits, and anywhere else legal to play. My monster trucks are far-and-away tougher than my stadium trucks but the stadium trucks are way faster. I'm totally fine with a 1/8th scale MT, 1/10th scale ST's, and maybe a 1/8th scale buggy down the road.

I had a 4-tec which was fun.... for 20 minutes. Thought about a Losi Ten-T, but its basically a scaled down LST so I lost interest in it, and all truggies in general. If I raced, perhaps the story would be vastly different.

For me, a Monster truck is an all around big burly brute designed for maximum abuse and ease of use. I'd vote on the MT. I'm partial to Losi, mainly because of the single gigantic shocks vs. the competitions 8 shocks. I think the XXL is overrated, since its basically a longer LST2/Aftershock hybrid and nothing more. Someone I used to know once referred to Losi MT's as stupidly overbuilt, and I agree.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 PM
The_Shark

pffft, ive had my 1/8 ofna up higher than that and about 80feet out without anything happening, even landed SIDEWAYS once, popped the tie rod link in and off i went. TOUGH!

i do agree, MT are funner, but 1/8 truggies/buggies are tougher and handle much better (and LOADS faster)
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

I see both sides to this argument.
Yes,  TECHNICALLY buggies/ truggies are faster, more stable, and more durable. But I agree with HerrSavage in that I see buggies and truggies for more track use. But, there is something about a MT that is more engaging and fun. I cant really put my finger on it. There is something about the extra "challenge" in dealing with their weight and instability more interesting. From wheelies, to doing backflips on your legs, they are my vehicle of choice for a long day of rc.
Personally, my savage is hands down my favorite vehicle i have ever owned. Now that its fast as hell and has a pretty much indestructible drive train,  It is my first vehicle of choice form my arsenal. Yes truggies are better if your trying to compete, but for fun a monster truck is just straight up better.

So to the OP, its up to you to decide what your looking for.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Monster trucks are the kings of rough terrain. They don't have center diffs, they're built more floppily which lets them absorb impacts that would otherwise rip wheels off, the parts are built sturdier, they're MUCH higher off the ground, and since handling isn't a concern the suspension is quite plush. They also tend to have reverse, which is a godsend in rough terrain. Lastly, they come with enormous tires that feature huge, aggressive tread lugs and hard rubber compounds. They slide hopelessly on pavement, but they are absolutely indespensible in mud, loose dirt, snow, puddles and whatnot. You just can't beat the classic Chevron tread in such situations.

Next would be the truggies but out of the box they'll get stuck easy. Their tires, suspension settings and center diff see to this. You can lift them, lock that, and put chevron tires on them, but that'd be a waste of money as you'd just build a monster truck for more than the cost of a monster truck.

Stadium trucks are 2WD, and thus, pretty much hopeless in rough terrain. Get one back wheel off the ground and it just stops, lock the diff and you can kiss turning goodbye.

Buggies are stone dead last, while they have 4WD they have so little ground clearance they'll hang up on everything. Power and momentum in liberal amounts helps but they will get stuck the easiest of the bunch. Also, center diff.

If you want to run on rough terrain you must buy the vehicle type designed for that terrain. Monster trucks are the most popular vehicle for that application. Trying to get a different one to behave itself in that situation is VERY difficult, and the other three classes you mentioned are race-track monsters that don't have any business in a mud pit. Oh, and don't get lost in the "OOoh, but it only goes 30, this buggy goes 50!" nonsense. You'll have more fun at 15-30 hooning about in a mudpit than you would doing 50MPH speedruns up and down the street.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Here we go.

First off... Truggies are incredibly capable machines. No doubt about it. They handle awesome, they are built strong, have less driveline drag, and are normally faster.

However... Anyone who says a truggy is better than an MT in every offroad situation is wrong.

1- Thick grass can be hard on any r/c. But id like to point out that it will be especially hard on a truggy(keep in mind we are talking nitro). The truggy is a single speed geared for say 40mph. An MT is a 2 speed and is geared for say 25mph in first and 40mph in 2nd gear. The MT has a lower gear to pull through the grass without working the clutch or engine as hard. The engine will be turning more RPM than the truggy at the lower speeds and will keep the clutch engaged unlike the truggy.

2- Really rough ground will also prove to make it hard on a truggy. Im not talking a dirt road. I mean rough ground(see video). I am in agreement that a surface with imperfections and small ruts, a truggy will be the best. It simply sits lower and wont flip as easily. But on rough ground where nothing is going to go fast, and there are big dirt clods or rocks, the truggies are not the machine to have. An MT simply has more clearance and can clear the obstacles and once again the low gear comes into play.

3- Mud is also not the place for a truggy. Once again, they sit low and will be dragging the whole chassis through the mud. I dont particularly like running my r/c's in the mud anyway, but an MT is better for this.

4- Pulling. Yeah i know a lot of you will never pull anything with an r/c. But I do sometimes, and a truggy would not do well at it. High gearing and a center diff dont lend themselves well to pulling anything.

My biggest beef with a truggy for REAL offroad (not a dirt race track which is what some of you consider "rough terrain") is that they sit too low and they are too high geared. If you put larger tires on one, you will simply lose even more low end, you'll hurt the handling, and kill clutches faster. If you raise it up, then you have the clearance of an MT, however you have just lost the biggest part of the handling and you still lack a low gear which is very much needed for a lot of stuff. The best truggy for rough terrain would have to be brushless, since the lack of a low gear at that point wouldnt matter. However, we are talking nitro at the moment.

Basically, both machines have their place. The MT's are more my style, however im aware that truggies are very capable in a lot of situations. Different strokes for different folks. Just gets old hearing the truggy guys say MT's suck when they have several features that help them stand out in more than a few different types of terrain.

And for the record... THIS is rough terrain. Its my old .21 version MGT i had. Also demonstrates that MT's dont flip as easily as some like to make out. My LST2 rarely ever flips. Its a good mix of truggy handling and MT capability IMO.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOqqDjq_NY[/youtube]
Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOqqDjq_NY[/youtube]

...That terrain would test the limits of my 1:1 F150. DEFINITELY monster truck only if you want to RC there.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:57 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

This is my Savage playing in an old pond. Just stuff like this that is not well suited for a truggy:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avQKHhENtHk[/youtube]
Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Haddi Taha

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3. It's a monster truck with a center diff? It has HUGE Tires like a monster truck and shares the suspension with the thunder tiger st1 but its dialed in for bashing. Handling is in between truggy and the other monster trucks. Its known for being one of the toughest ever built and costs $550 RTR (can handle 6s stock) 

So you kind of get the best of both worlds

Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 AM

Jack of all trades master of none? Revo comes to mind as well, Traxxas tried the same thing and ended up with a truck that didn't really fit in. anywhere.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:56 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3. It's a monster truck with a center diff? It has HUGE Tires like a monster truck and shares the suspension with the thunder tiger st1 but its dialed in for bashing. Handling is in between truggy and the other monster trucks. Its known for being one of the toughest ever built and costs $550 RTR (can handle 6s stock)

So you kind of get the best of both worlds

They just need to make a real one - i.e. with a nitro engine.

I do like truggies btw. I think I like buggies even better. Just got a new one for racing, which hopefully I will have more time for this year. But even with this awesome buggy I have sitting here, I can't really feel enthusiastic about taking it out to a parking lot or field and zipping back and forth..(Well OK, actually I can.. In winter I get pretty desperate to burn some nitro wherever and whenever I can ha ha...) But I like just being able to drag out one or both of my LST2's..(one of which was just meant to be a parts chassis, which I had bought RTR and sold all the stuff off of, so it was REALLY cheap...) and go run wherever without caring a whole lot if I bust something up. The race truggies and buggies I've had have been "good" on a track, but I'm just still not the biggest racing fan. Racing is so uptight and anal in so many ways. From being restricted and limited just by the nature of the track, on to the mentality of it all with all the obsessional setup details... I still do it cuz basically I just like nitro that much... But MT's are just more fun. IMHO you have to pretty geeky to really get into racing.. How else could anyone care about changing shock and diff oils all day?... To me that's just too much sphincter-clenching uptightness... For me it's about as fun as doing housework..

I've had several truggies, several buggies, numerous MT's, an SC8, a DM-1, and some others, and definitely my favorite RC of all time, the most thrilling to drive - is my first LST2... Which is now five years old. MT or Losi haters sell themselves short by blowing off the LST2.. It has awesome balance - the engine is more centrally mounted than on any buggy or truggy.., so I still get a kick from how well it handles.. And with the stock wheels and a well-timed 2-speed shift-point it accelerates so nicely and crisply, and plows on up to this burly freight-train top-speed... - and that with a stock orange Mach 427... Such an impressive RC.. Tough too.

(Anyway, that's all just my opinion. Not trying to assault other peoples'.. Just defending mine... Run what you want...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.