Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1MPUL5 - shakedown of a new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Onno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1MPUL5 - shakedown of a new car

Something new from the Dutch kitchen of Elcon.
A 1/5th scale on-road car.
The first shakedown has been done of this new car with satisfaction.
Now the real testing will begin.

The car features a lot of new techniques.
Though I cannot show pics yet what is under the body,one can seealready on this picture there is a lot of open space behind the windows. You can look through the car from one side to the other. And no there is not an electro engine in there, 2-stroke it is. Hence a far lower cg is realized compared to other cars.
Also different is thatthe windows are not cut out.The body remains closed on this model, which is a lot different from all other 1/5th on-road cars currently on the market.
Cut out of all side windowsand the rear window arenormally needed on other 1/5th cars, to get enough cool air in.Everybody knows the effectsof open windows or closedwindows on the highway athigh speed.
Just the right rear window isnow cut out to reach the kill-switch and pull starter. But we rather leave that closed as well (unfortunately not allowed by regulations for racing).

The chassis is also different from lay-out. As small detail of what is there:
Normal droop stops are included but there is also a "soft-stop" for the suspension built in, which is as far as we know new tolargescale and probably new in rc model carscompletely.

We hope to go through the tests quickly, once we will appear in races with the car, people will take pics from what is underneath and will then be further shown on forums etc.

BR, Onno
Old 05-01-2012, 03:20 AM
mike_humphreys

Default RE: 1MPUL5 - shakedown of a new car

Hi Onno, are there any more updates on this beast?

Mike
Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Onno

Hiya Mike,
We've been out a few times now with the car and found the way up to faster lap times. We will soon participate in some races here on the mainland. The next round in Belgiumnext weekend is on our wishlist as a to do race.Lonesome testing is about to finish. Also we are building a 2nd version with a bit different rear geometry to test this and see if we can squeeze out last bit of speed / grip. But for sure the car has race potential, races will tell where we stand. Then car is public,I suppose people will then take shots from what is underneath the body which I am sure some will suprise.
Some items are hand made for the moment like an airbox and some other items. Hence they do not look as the final product and thus did not postpics from what is under the body as peole might interpret this wrong.They are now strictly functional, not as good looking as they coul be
Will you attendin Spainthe Euros later this year?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:16 PM
mike_humphreys

I can't wait to see it. I'm not racing on road at the moment as I'm just easing myself back into racing after the break away, I'm getting back into the swing of things with the off road car - it's going very well. The off road Euros is coming up very soon in the UK as you know and I'm looking forward to that very much.
I hope to do on road and off road next year but we'll have to wait and see, work is busy at the moment so jobs are safe - always looking for a new challenge though.

Mike