Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Killing some time...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Killing some time...

I have little to do as of late, so I figured I would start working on a new project. I made a rail for the rear of the tank and then repainted the Stug that I recently acquired and reworked the main gun assembly to make it traverse. I am waiting on elevation units to arrive, so it hasn't been assembled yet.In the meantime, I decided that I didn't like the stock muffler. I pulled out my brass tubing and bits of spare scraps and made my own.This is fuctional too, os it can have a smoke unit added to it later. I then moved on to building the brackets for the Shurzen out of more brass. They are coming along surprisingly well. I have a few more little things to add before painting them, but that should be done soon enough. Here is where we are so far.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
yellowshaker

Default RE: Killing some time...

here is a little more progress. Still a lot of work to do, but you get the idea.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just downright terrible to be so busy.. Nice work.

Got myself into a bag of worms. Converting a T-25 back to a T-23...swapping out the Pershing's torsion bar suspension with VVSS, is not something you do over a coffee break. Lots of Dremel and sanding work before I can think of mounting the hardware. Just now in the stage of measuring and looking for drilling locations.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23618.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1743540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28347.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1743541  
Old 03-27-2012, 01:49 PM
yellowshaker

Don't remind me. I just finished cutting down the metal sherman suspension to mate it to the tamiya lower hull. This proved to be more work than I originally though, but that too will eventually get done. This is what happens when you don't have a job....you build tanks and make extra work for yourself...sigh
Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 PM
torpedochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good guys
Old 03-27-2012, 05:01 PM
pattoncommander

roger that....I really believe this is also going to be a LOT more work than I had figured on. But thinking about the tank factories back in the 40s having to do basically the same thing on 1;1 scale developemental limited issue tanks that were used for tests and most winding up as hard targets, this is a lot easier. Was considering a tiger chassis and Pershing turret, but this willl look cool.

Know the feeling of being out of work...my son was laid off but is now starting his own business. He has done his homework, made the good cointacts and will do OK ,but guess who is financing it...[&:]

Don nice to get a sign of activity.....Doing anything tankwise...keep us posted.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 PM
torpedochief

Just running my awesome TIGER with the SLU
Old 03-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Good to hear from you.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Looking good Joe!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM
yellowshaker

Thank you guys!

Chief, I am so happy to see you on the forums! You are in my prayers for a speedy recovery, brother.

here is a shot of the painted exhaust in place.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 PM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

Joe,

Your work is always amazing. I love and admire your craftsmanship. Keep it coming.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:26 AM
CHIEFSONN

As always Joe is another fine piece of armor ready to hit the battle field.the sherzen and mounting brackets look great along with the your crafted exhaust, so did you find info/drawings on the sherzen mounting brackets or are these your thoughts, when we spoke last you were having not much luck with finding any good info on them. my brother I am keeping an eye open for you for employment,and if something should arise you will be notified.
Oh yea and after our talk talk I decided to work on my stug. IV ,will post pictures as I go and at this time the tank is apart.right now I am breaking in the gears.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 AM
mustclime

I may have to figure out how to make those side armore plates.....great work as always guys.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:23 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks really good!!!! Do you have a photo of how you configured the traverse? I have been trying to do this as well with my Stug.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:34 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

And this is a lad who just over two years ago was wondering how to paint the molded on tools of an HL. Joey, your skills have truly grown exponentially. Well done! Again!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 AM
yellowshaker

Thank you all very much. I need to keep busy and thank God this hobby is here. I would lose my mind...or what's left of it. The Shurzenon the Stug was installed in a few different configurations, some of which was actually ield modded by crews. I found a few photos of the real thing in different configurations. Some were bolted on, others were hung, as mine will be. I am making the hangers in a similar manner to the ones I saw, but with my own little changes. Nothing drastic, but ent than actual photos. It is not very hard to do once you get going, but it is quite time consuming. The supports for the fenders are the biggest pain becaue each has to be formed, soldered and then fit to position for drilling the shurzen. It would have been easier to make the type that actually bolts in place, but what fun would that be? LOL Here are a few reference phtoos I have to work with, but as I said, I put my own twist on the design...

Name:	Fd92589.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1743848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49814.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1743849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63792.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1743850  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 AM
yellowshaker

Here is the latest add-on. as I said, slow but it's coming along...

Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

I need to keep busy and thank God this hobby is here. I would lose my mind...or what's left of it.
And we're all thankful for that. The last job issue you disappeared for months and started selling off tanks.

Glad you don't have to do that this time. You must've got a raise from your second job.

BTW ... nice StuG.

~ Jeff
Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 PM
pilot lite

wil here, joe your the man! the work you do is extreme. your israeli sherman getspraise all the time. everybody wants to know who detailed this thing. i tell them, a artist.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

did you fix your KV-2 tracks...lol that would have kept you busy for say like 10 mins...lol
Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 PM
yellowshaker

I actually did get the tracks on the KV! Thank you very much. They will hold me til I get a few more from Phil. I also have an upgraded torsion bar set coming for that beast. Should be a lot of fun once they're in!
Now, here is a little more on the Shurzen. I got one side completed with paint...still have to add a bit to it as far as weathering and numbers maybe, but it is hung and should work out fine.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 PM
pilot lite

wil here, joe , your sherman looks better than the real one! ooopps i goofed i don't know how to put a picture in here. thanks joe

Name:	Bz78686.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1743959  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jh14509.jpg (37.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:28 PM
yellowshaker

Will you can add it through a photobucket account by copying and pasting the link here, or use the file upload in the advanced reply options.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 PM
thecommander

I was really lucky. I got to meet Joe at his home on Monday to pick-up some parts and got to see the Stug firsthand. I looks even better in person. I also got to see his workshop and the huge inventory of quality part the has in stock. If you guys need some fine detail items, parts, kits & up-grades contact Joe. It was like a trip to a RC tank hobby shop. After about 3 hours I left with a set of metal track for my JT. No more throwing tracks guys so be forewarned.[8D]

Joe is very modest and I wish he would show us more of his work and of the parts he has from Bob in stock here in the USA.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
yellowshaker

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. It ws nice to have someone here to appreciate it all in person. Only a few guys have ever actually been here to see. It is always nice to see a happy tanker come and see the goodies. LOL
I just realized that if that JT don't throw tracks anymore, I may be the guy everyone's mad at...sigh never ends LOL
Enjoy them Bob and enjoy your trip. I am there in spirit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.