Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The 250mph Swist F5D

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The 250mph Swist F5D

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The 250mph Swist F5D

I thought a build and fly thread would be good as there are alot of people talking, thinking and guessing what a modern F5D airframe can do and what it can/can't handle. The only way to solve the puzzle is ofcause to stop guessing and buying a plane my self.

A goal of 250mph or more seem within reach, this goal narrows down the possible airframes to about a handfull, which on paper would fulfill the specs of beeing available in a strong show version, large fuselage with room for alot of batteries and the highest of quality.

Doing the research I found the Swist to be the only competitor left. It is available to buy, it can be orderd in a show version, it has lots of room in the fuselage and it comes very well packed. None of the other competitors could do that(!)

The Swist arrives spot on the promised date!

If you look around alot of planes have been deliverd with cracked wingtips, but not the Swist, it comes extremely well packed in a wooden box, hard to beat that!

The parts unwrapped. The quality is really high with a nice paintwork and perfectly cut control surfaces. You also get a snake for the elevator, pushrods for ailerons/flaps and a bag of hardware.

The tripple carbon wing is very stiff and will probably handle anything you can throw at it.

I will update the thread as the build goes on. I will post some pics from the build up of the model too from AJ Aeromodels [link]http://www.ajaeromodels.com[/link]
Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Henke Torphammar

Default RE: The 250mph Swist F5D

Pictures from the manufacturing of my model which Artem and Dimitry were kind enough to provide. Even though I'm not in to moulding planes it's always fun to see how it's made. I hope you enjoy the pics

Old 04-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Stobe777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good. Now will you have a 4,7 prop direct drive or a bigger one geared?
TP.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: Stobe777

Looks good. Now will you have a 4,7 prop direct drive or a bigger one geared?
TP.
No prop on this one...
Old 04-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Henke Torphammar

I decided to make my own controll horns as I really dislike the standard procidure of installing tiny horns and reduceing servo throws to like 50%. That's a worthless way of doing it if aiming for higher speeds, so I thought I share how I do it

Ofcause there are no horns of the right shape available so I drew up new ones useing a CAD system. Once again the HAB Electronic CNC service came in handy and Tomas were kind enough to "print" my bits

If you're intrested in the HAB CNC service you just email [email protected] and drop a PM to me. If you need help drawing parts I can help out if it's not too much work.

How it's done (video shows other parts, but the procidure is the same)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c09ubYYvFVI&[/youtube]

The result, I also made some antenna mounts while at it.

I will use MpJet ballinks as I don't like the z-bends.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Stobe777

Well, there is no v-tail, how will you mount the kolibri?
TP.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 AM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: Stobe777

Well, there is no v-tail, how will you mount the kolibri?
TP.
Actually the V-tail is only a nifty design feature not adding any functionality unless you go the kero-start route, but then you would still toast the wing and fuselage. I will explain more later on about the starting procidure and tempratures
Old 04-01-2012, 01:59 AM
Henke Torphammar

Installing the servos is pretty simple. As I mentioned before I use 125% throw in the Tx and mechanicly set the travel. I will only need 3mm on ailerons and about 2mm on elevator, so I'm setting it up for that. Flaps will be 10mm down, more then that might lead to flutter. The small outer parts of the ailerons will not be needed so I will make them fixed.

I'm useing Hyperion DS09 servos, AMD for flaps and SCD for ailerons and elevator. I like the Hitech servos, but the available ones at current date simply did't fit

The pylon racing guys all agree it's an ugly install, all i say is that it will not be the weak point

Testing the throws before cutting and glueing

Servo installed, beefy linkage with virtually no slop at all.

The tips of the ailerons are not needed and fixed.

While at it I made my own servo covers to fit my needs.

Carbon fibre razor

Servo covers installed
Old 04-01-2012, 03:52 AM
Henke Torphammar

Just a small update on installing the tail.

I find it a bit tricky to align the stab and you do get a whole new idea of that 3D is when trying to set it up straight in all directions at the same time. The Swist come out of pretty good molds and you can sort of feel when you are in the right position with the stab, then just give it an eye so that it is perpendicular and horizontal. Ofcause you want to sand the areas where the glue will go. I also added some fillets to make it extra strong.

The fin mounts in about the same way, I used two small carbon rods do connect fuselage/stab/fin, kind of like when you BBQ chicken skewers

Also I figured installing the pitotsystem would be tricky so I orderd a Pocket Radar to try out as it looked like a fun toy.

Finnished wing with ailerons moveing 3/2mm and flaps down 10mm.

Again my large horns as I'm not intrested in 3D performance
Old 04-01-2012, 04:56 AM
Henke Torphammar

More parts dropped in for my 250mph Swist.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:48 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey can do you plan on selling your servo covers & horns? I have been looking at this as well, what motor / battery / esc / prop combo are you going to go with to get 250 mph. I think you will honestly be able to get 200 mph but 250 will be very very hard.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Henke Torphammar

Which ever power source you choose, going fast needs alot of juice. The trick is ofcause to squeeze as much juice as you can in to the airframe. Again trying new paths I had to do it my way...

Dummy foam piece to get a hint of the space availabe along side with a prototype I had made

The final product after some adjustments, ofcause it fits like a glove. Imagine beeing able to do this with lipos

Installed in the Swist, kind of nifty
Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Hey can do you plan on selling your servo covers & horns?
Sure, send me a PM
Old 04-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Stobe777

Yes, after having assembled and flown maybe 10 Avionik D-99 and D05:s the links look somewhat crude. But the servos are right on the money, and the travel needs to be used fully. And the turbine will be like in the Opus?
It's gonna be nice and fast! How about a F3T pylon class...
I assume an Opus would turn nicely around the course as well with a lower wing loading.
Those custom parts look really good, nice work!
TP.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:01 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

looks like a hotliner .. i dont get it ?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...I'm confused too. You are talking about "Kero Start"..."Turbine"..."prop size"......."large battery storage area"... all in the same build.

I must admit...this is a very interesting build and the airframe construction is superb.

So...you are going Kolibri turbine mounted atop the fuselage/wing area. The comments for large battery storage area and a couple others threw me off. I think I have a grasp on what the agenda is now!

http://www.lambert-modellturbinen.de/html/english.html

So what you are building is not a "Hotliner" but rather a "Damn Hotliner"!

SPEEDY
Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Very cool, would like to see more details on how did you made that fuel tank.

Also have you considered a twin boon hotliner for lower drag and turbine thrustline?

Enrique
Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
thepamster

Dude,
  You are in the wrong forum. This plane is an electric pylon racer. This is the rc jet forum.

The Pamster
AMA 202345
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Stobe777

Well, it will be powered with a turbine, so this is the correct forum.
Compare it to the turbinized gliders...its only smaller and will be seriously fast.
TP.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: thepamster

Dude,
You are in the wrong forum. This plane is an electric pylon racer. This is the rc jet forum.

The Pamster
AMA 202345
I'm sure the moderators will move the thread if they find it offtopic
Old 04-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Henke Torphammar

Now for the engine install. Some one mentioned heat of the exhaust and the vertical tail. Actually that is not an issue. I did meassurements that showed that 65cm behind the motor the temprature is down to 185F/85C at full power static. temprature at the side of the exhaust is only 100F/40C. However when starting the engine there are no venturi and the temprature gets very high. Learning from the guys flying the Opus V-jet I choose to remove the starter motor from my Kolibri turbine and air start the engine with a blower. This shortens the starting procidure to about 15sec and lowers the temprature by alot.

This is where a kerostarted turbine is't suitable as the starting procedure takes about 1minute and produces very hot exhaust gasses, like a torch. Also the kero start uses alot of battery capacity and there simply is't room for anything larger then a 350mAh battery nor solenoids.

While at it I thought it would be a nice clean install if I could route all wiering and tubeing inside the pylon holding the engine, so I began with some simple sketches

I designed a pylon that would fit around the glowplug, tubeing and wires, it's a NACA0018 airfoil for those who wonder

Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Xantos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good Henke !!
Im sure it'll be as fast if not faster than an Opus on the same power.
Im runnin a Kolibri T25 on my opus and I get about 4.5 min at WOT. This IMHO is the biggest downside of an Opus. It flies great BUT the runtime is limited due the size of tank you can squeeze in. Also the ECU, RX and batteries in the nose is too tight a squeeze and the fuel lines tend to get kinked no matter how you run them.But once thats done its pure unadulterated fun and extreme performance.
Hopefully since you've designed your own tank you'll probably see the same performance with much more run time
Keep us posted
Old 04-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Henke Torphammar

Removeing the starter calls for a new front cover, I also changed the Festo connectors to make the fuel and gas leads exit downwards.

Martin Lambert was kind enough to send me a new front cover without the holes for fuel/gas connectors, the prototype is silver but it will later be changed for the proper orange one

Everything hidden inside the pylon
Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Will the plug facing downwards require you to start the airplane inverted? I know most turbines need the plug toward the top in order to start?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Henke Torphammar

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

Will the plug facing downwards require you to start the airplane inverted? I know most turbines need the plug toward the top in order to start?

I've made many starts trying this out and there are no problem what I can se. Might be more aggressive on the glowplug if doing a hot start. I switched from rossi plugs to McCoy which use a much thicker glow wire. Seem to work well, time will tell I guess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.