Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

How to compare electric motors and what do their specs mean.

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

How to compare electric motors and what do their specs mean.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default How to compare electric motors and what do their specs mean.

I have been in the hobby for decades flying glow and now gas models, but am just now getting interested in electric flight. I have a small 32 oz. Extra 260 which I currently fly with a 2836 KV1120 motor / a 30amp controller on a 3S 2200 ma lipo spinning an APC 10x5E prop at 8,900 rpm, but the model is a bit underpowered for my liking. As I as don't know how or what to relate the 2836 KV1120 specs to, I am asking for an explanation and some guidance in selecting a bit more powerful motor.

Karol
Old 05-03-2012, 06:20 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to compare electric motors and what do their specs mean.

really no easy way to compare brand to brand... as many companies use their own naming...

easiest way to figure it out is by watts...

You will know how many cells the motor will run on... there are your volts...

and most manufacturers will tell you how many amps the motor is rated for.

volt x amps = watts (Ohms Law)

Then you can compare the output of various motors....

Roughly 75 watts per pound for scale

100 to 125 watts per pound (AUW) for sport

150 and beyond for all out performance.....

That'll get you started
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM
rem0.061
My Feedback: (30)

I think the number 2836 is the dimensions of the motor. I think 28(mm) is the length and 36mm is the diameter or the other way around. the kv (rpm per volt) is 1122 which means with no load it should get about 1122 rpm per volt. Look for more kv and a larger diameter for more torque. some motors make up for their low kv by being able to handle more lipo cells.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM
exeter_acres

that could be true... but not always..

ie:
with our motors.. take the 2814/820 motor for example
the 28 is the diameter of the stator
14 is the number of winds and the 820 is the kV
Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 AM
karolh

Thanks guys, and as the song says, "I can see clearly now"

Karol
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 AM
karolh

So basically a motor rated at 1700Kv would be more powerful than one rated at 1120.

Karol
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 AM
exeter_acres

not necessarily ...it will just spin faster at the same voltage....

traditionally lower KV motors have more torque (bigger props)
while higher have more speed.. (higher RPM's)

but it is not an end all be all... just one more piece to the puzzle...
Old 05-03-2012, 03:03 PM
karolh

[]
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 AM
whitecrest

Motor weight and Kv are useful criteria for comparing different motors. Figuring three watts per gram of motor weight is a good rule of thumb and will prevent motor overheating. Motor Kv indicates the most appropriate application for a given motor.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 PM
jstrach

I have been doing some "upgrading" to my motors recently and have found these two places if you're shopping around for motors... (keep in mind I was looking for inexpensive but reliable)

First I would mention that Innov8tive Designs has some Cobra & Scorpionmotors - along with a conversion chart to see what is equivalent to what you currently have.
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/ind...ath=21_120_122
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...ison%20Web.htm

I also like "www.altitudehobbies.com" for inexpensive Suppo motors.
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brush...-motors?page=2

As was already mentioned, if you go for a higher kv rating you'll get faster RPMs with same battery.

Also, I think you mentioned a 10x5e prop - have you considered maybe a 9 x 8? The smaller diameter will help with RPM and more pitch a little more pull?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Dr Kiwi

I know there is no standard nomenclature, but many makers of outrunners use either "stator diameter and stator length" [2814], or, "outer diameter and outer length" [3530]:

ie:
with our motors.. take the 2814/820 motor for example
the 28 is the diameter of the stator
14 is the number of winds and the 820 is the kV

Why on earth did you guys decide on a hybrid, which really screws up the understanding of all the other 2814 motors out there.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:46 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

See attached documents. They may help you out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tr51829.pdf (10.2 KB, 1327 views)
Gb88629.pdf (8.0 KB, 973 views)
Kp33195.pdf (7.9 KB, 826 views)
Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 AM
siberianhusky

Motor quality plays a huge roll as well don't forget!
A smaller motor with quality magnets, windings and bearings will out last and out power a bigger cheap motor.
Although I play with all rc toys I'm really a boat racer at heart.
There is the real torture test for motors, limited cooling and amp draws that would scare most pilots.
Having a data logger in a boat is a real eye opener as to the true differences between motors both inrunner and outrunner.
I've seen amp draws and temps significantly lower just by changing to a better quality motor of the same size and KV and pole count.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:34 AM
DrMotor

A NOTE; ON THE DIFFERENT NAMING SYSTEMS / NAMING CONVENTIONS FOR BRUSHLESS MOTORS:

Manufacturers, distributors and sometimes retailers can all use different naming systems for brushless motors. This can be very confusing. -For instance. even though a particular brushless motor may be exactly the same regarding internal components, may be made in the same factory, and may have identical specifications, it can be produced by the OEM manufacturer with different external colours, different shaped outside housings and with a different external finish. The various distributors who then "market" or "brand" this motor, can then call this same motor by different names and codes. (-And sometimes these distributors or "Re-Branders" then "pretend" that they themselves are the actual manufacturer of the motors, which of course is a complete fabrication -or lie ... )
("OEM" =Original Equipment Manufacturer; An "OEM" manufactures products or components that are purchased by a company and retailed under that purchasing company's brand name. OEM refers to the company that originally manufactured the product ).
This has several effects:
a. It makes it difficult for us to realise that brushless motors with different names and external appearances, are actually exactly the same motor internally.
b. It makes it difficult for us to link different motors made by the same OEM manufacturing factory (-almost always a chinese factory, in 2012 ...)
c. It sometimes makes it difficult for us to choose the appropriate brushless motor for a particular plane or helicopter. For instance, the plane or heli instruction manual may recommend a motor of a particular brand, with the motor named for stator size. We may not realise that a differently branded motor, but instead named with respect to external dimensions, may be just as good a choice of motor, or sometimes a better choice, for this plane or heli.
d. We can also add the following effect: Sometimes, a manufacturer or distributor might not wish us to know which OEM factory has actually manufactured the motor, and so they name the motor with a different naming system, to try and hide this information.
-For instance, the Hacker A30-12 XL V2 motor is exactly the same (internally) as the OK Hobby Infinite 3025-770Kv 12T motor, and they are both made in the same SunRay Technology factory in China. However, the Hacker motor sells for $140, whereas the OK Hobby Infinite one sells for $35. One way to hide the fact they are actually the same motors from us gullible and impressionable consumers, is to name them with different conventions -as has been done in this case.
e. Distributors like to keep their "trade secrets" completely hidden from us. In the case of Hacker and Torque motors, for instance, it had been almost impossible for 3 years to discover exactly which chinese factory made these motors. Everyone in the industry seemed frightened to reveal this information. However, once the information was revealed, then it became clear that the Hacker/Torque chinese factory was making the same motors, under a large number of other brand names and colours, and that these differently-branded identical motors were being sold widely for 25% of the Hacker retail price.

Here are some of the most common naming systems, or naming conventions, used for brushless motors:

1. STATOR SIZE
The stator of an outrunner brushless motor is the central non-rotating part, which is radially arranged, and which is wound with a given number of turns of copper wire. The outer can with magnets mounted on its internal face, rotates around this stator. Stator arms are always in multiples of three ( -whereas motor magnets are always in mutiples of two ).
Many manufacturers and distributors name their motors with respect to stator size; For instance AXI, Scorpion, Emax, O.S., Pulso, Suppo, generic SunRay Technology motors and its derivatives (LiPolice, Foxy, OK Hobby Infinite, Z-series Hyperion) are all named this way. Worth noting that Pulso motors are basically a copy of AXI motors, use the same stator-size naming system, and are sold in the USA (with small modifications) as Innov8tive Cobra motors.
e.g. The AXI 2203/52 motor, has a stator which is 22mm diameter, 3mm in length, and is wound with 52 turns of wire.
The AXI 4130/16 motor, has a stator which is 41mm diam, 30mm length, and is wound with 16 turns of wire.
The Scorpion SII-3020 motor, has a stator which is 30mm diam, 20 mm length ( and is wound with 12 turns of wire ).
The SunRay / LiPolice / Foxy2213/22T motor has a stator which is 22mm diam, 13mm length, and is wound with 22 turns of wire.
The Suppo A2820-6 motor has a stator which is 28mm diam, 20mm length, and is wound with 6 turns of wire.

2. EXTERNAL DIMENSION
Some manufacturers name their motors with respect to their external dimensions, usually outer diameter and length.
XYH (i.e. EMP), most Turnigy, Saite and others, name their motors this way. (-Worth noting that XYH (EMP) motors are sold under many dozens of brand names -including Turnigy "standard" and Turnigy "SK1" -and mostly all these brands also use this external-dimension naming convention for these motors).
Also worth noting that the Gens Ace range of motors, and also the Turnigy SK3 range of motors -even though they are both manufactured by the SunRay Technology factory, and therefore similar to Hacker and Torque motors -they use the external dimension naming system to describe their motors.
.e.g. The XYH N2830/13 motor is 28mm diam, 30mm long, and has 13 turns of wire (its stator size is 22mm diam, 13mm length -same as a "2213" motor on stator-size )
The XYH N5055/07 motor is 50mm diam, 55mm long, and has 7 turns of wire (its stator size is 40mm diam, 24 mm length -same as a "4025" motor on stator-size)
The Turnigy SK3 3542-1000kv motor, is ~35mm diam, ~42mm long (has 12 turns of wire) (its stator size is 30mm diam, 20 mm length -same as a "3020" motor on stator-size)

3. THE HACKER MOTOR NAMING SYSTEM
Hacker uses a different and seemingly unique naming system. The first number reflects power level: "20" motors seem to refer to roughly an I.C. 20-size power level, "30" motors refer to I.C. 30-size in power level; whereas "50" refers to I.C. 50-size power level, etc etc.
The second number in the Hacker naming system, refers to the number of winds of wire on the stator. The final letter in the Hacker name, refers to the length of the motor -either S, M, or L (small, medium, large).
(Note that: Keda motors are basically -poor -copies of Hacker motors, and since they are copies, they also copy and use the same Hacker naming system ).
For instance, the Hacker A10-9L motor, is "10" size, has 9 wire turns, and is "L" -22mm long (its stator size is 17mm diam, 9mm length -same as a "1709" motor on stator-size) (its external size is 21mm diam, 22mm long -same as a "2122" mtor on external dimension)
The Hacker A30-12-L-V2 motor, is "30" size, has 12 wire turns, and is "L" -42mm long (its stator size is 30mm diam, 20mm length -same as a "3020" motor on stator-size) (its external size is ~35mm diam, ~42mm long -same as a "3542" motor on external dimension)
The Hacker A50-16-S-V2 motor, is "50" size, has 16 wire turns, and is "L" -~55mm long (its stator size is 40mm diam, 25mm length -same as a "4025" motor on stator-size) (its external size is ~50mm diam, ~55mm long -so same as a "5055" motor on external dimension)

4. E-FLITE MOTOR NAMING SYSTEM
E-Flite name their motors directly, with respect to their equivalent I.C. power level (E-Flite motors are all made by the ChinaHimark factory, in China -they are all ChinaHimark "C-Type" motors).
For instance, the E-Flite Power 10 motor is 35mm diam, 43mm long (its stator size is 30mm diam, 20mm length -same as a "3020" motor on stator-size) (its external size is ~35mm diam, ~42mm long -same as a "3542" motor on motor external dimension).
The E-Flite Power 46 motor is 50mm diam, 55mm long (its stator size is 40mm diam, 25mm length -same as a "4025" motor on stator-size) (its external size is ~50mm diam, ~55mm long -so same as a "5055" motor on external dimension)
Turnigy "EasyMatch" motors also use the same power naming system as E-Flite, relating the motors to their equivalent I.C. power level. The Turnigy "EasyMatch" motors are probably also made by the ChinaHimark factory, in China, and appear to be identical to E-Flite motors.

5. HIMAX / HIMARK MOTOR NAMING SYSTEM
HiMax (also called "HiMaxx" and "HiMark") motors are also manufactured by the ChinaHimark factory, in China. They are distributed in the USA and in Europe by the Maxxprod company, and are sold in Europe as "Multiplex Himax", "TopModel XPower", and "JP Energ" C-type motors -these brands are all the same motors. These motors all use a different naming system, which is a hybrid of other systems already mentioned. The first number in the name shows the diameter of the motor, and the second number shows the length of the stator. The third number after the dash, shows the number of turns for each motor.
For instance, the Himax/XPower C2812-26 is 28mm external diam, has a stator of 12mm length, and has 26 wire turns (its stator size is 22mm diam, 12mm length -same as a "2212" or "2213" motor on stator-size) (its external size is ~28mm diam, ~30mm long -same as a ~"2830" motor on external dimension) ( -This is the same motor as the E-Flite Park 400, 920Kv motor).
The Himax/XPower C5020/14 is 50mm diam, has a stator of 20mm length, and has 14 wire turns (its stator size is 40mm diam, 20mm length -same as a "4020" motor on stator-size) (its external size is 50mm diam, 55mm long -same as a "5055" motor on external dimension) ( -This is the same motor as the E-Flite Power 46 670Kv; and also same motor as: Turnigy G46 670kv ).
O.S. brushless motors, also used the same (slightly confusing) naming system for their motors.

6. TORQUE MOTOR NAMING SYSTEM
Torque motors are, of course, made together with Hacker motors, in the SunRay Technology factory. They are identical internally and also in specs to Hacker motors. They have a different external can appearance to Hacker, which is just cosmetic, and the outer can shape has no relation to motor performance. The naming system for Torque motors is confusing, and gives relatively little useful information about the motor. Some motors are named with reference only to number of turns and Kv; Other motors are named with reference to approximate stator diameter, as well as number of motor turns and Kv.
For instance, the Torque 20T/1030 motor has 20 wire turns and a Kv of 1030. It has a weight of ~55g, external diam of 28mm and length of 30mm (its stator size is 22mm diam, 13mm length -same as a "2213" motor on stator-size) (its external size is 28mm diam, 30mm long -same as a "2830" motor on external dimension). ( -This is the same motor as: Hacker A20-20-L-EVO, Kv 1022, 20T; and SunRay/LiPolice/Foxy 2213-1080Kv 20T; Also same as Turnigy SK3 2830-1020kv, 20T)
The Torque 2814T/820 motor: the 1st number is "28" -actually it has a stator diam of 30mm; It has 14 wire turns, Kv of 820, weight of ~143g, external diam of 35mm and length of 42mm (its stator size is 30mm diam, 20mm length -same as a "3020" motor on stator-size) (its external size is ~35mm diam, ~42mm long -same as a "3542" motor on external dimension). ( -This is same motor as: Hacker A30-14-L-V2, Kv 800, 14T; and also as: Turnigy SK3 3542-800Kv 14T)
The Torque 2812T/720 -also has a stator diam 30mm; It has 12 wire turns, Kv of 720, weight of ~177g, external diam of 35mm and length of 48mm (its stator size is 30mm diam, 25mm length -same as a "3025" motor on stator-size) (its external size is ~35mm diam, ~48mm long -same as a "3548" motor on external dimension). ( -This is the same motor as: Hacker A30-12 XL V2, Kv 700; LiPolice/SunRay/Foxy 3025-770Kv 12T; and as: Turnigy SK3 3548-700kv, 12T ).

7. PJS MOTOR NAMING SYSTEM
PJS brushless outrunner motors are named very simply, according to the amount of static thrust that they are capable of producing. Of course, in practise the amount of thrust depends critically on the prop used, and number of Li-Po's used -so it is not necessarily a useful or accurate naming system.
e.g. The PJS 3D 300 SFR motor, is for indoor models. It produces 300g of static thrust; It is heavy by the standards of today -weight 36.5g; Kv 1210; external diam 32, length 45mm.
The PJS 3D 1500 motor, is for park flyers. It produces 1500g of static thrust; Weight 131g; Kv 765; external diam 40, length 45mm.
The PJS 3D 3000 motor, is suitable for 50-size models e.g. the Sebart Angel 50. It produces 3000g of static thrust; Weight 345g; Kv 496; external diam 53, length 46mm.
PJS produce a very large range of motors, from small 36g motors -up to very large 1,550g monster motors using 30 inch props which produce up to 18kg static thrust - see http://www.pjs.cz/index.php?cPath=1&sort=2a&page=1

8. MEGA MOTOR NAMING SYSTEM
Mega outrunner motors have a naming system which is a little different to others. Some motors are named with reference to the older brushed motors. Other larger motors are named with reference to stator size and number of turns.
e.g. The Mega RC 600/10/8 motor: is equivalent to a 600-size brushed motor; the 2nd number "10" shows a stator length of 10mm, the 3rd number "8" shows it has 8 turns. Weight 85g, Kv 1695, diam 36mm, length 35mm (its stator size will be 30mm diam, 10mm length -same as a "3010" motor on stator-size) (its external size is ~36mm diam, ~35mm long -same as a "3536" motor on external dimension).
The Mega RC 41/30/15 motor: 1st number shows stattor diam 41mm; 2nd number "30" shows a stator length of 30mm, the 3rd number "15" shows it has 15 turns. Weight 499g, Kv 410, diam 49.3mm, length 52mm (its stator size is 41mm diam, 30mm length -same as a "4130" motor on stator-size) (its external size is ~50mm diam, ~52mm long -same as a "5052" or ~a "5055" motor on external dimension).

9. MVVS MOTOR NAMING SYSTEM
MVVS uses a different motor naming system to that of any other company. Each outrunner motor is designated with a 1st single number, signfying size of the stator, and the Kv. A list of the motor numbers is shown below, showing the stator size that this number refers to.
e.g. The MVVS MVVS 2,0/1120 has a stator diam 26mm, length 9mm, and Kv 1120. Weight 87g, external diam 36mm, length 31mm (-same as a "2609" motor on stator-size) (-same as a "3630" motor on external dimension).
The MVVS MVVS 8.0/680 has a stator diam 36mm, length 20mm, and Kv 680. Weight 223g, external diam 44mm, length 46mm (-same as a "3620" motor on stator-size) (-same as a "4446" or ~"4250" motor on external dimension).
For MVVS motors:
No Stator diam Stator length
2.0.... 26 mm 9 mm
2.5 ....26 mm 13 mm
3.5 .... 26 mm 18 mm
4.6 .... 26 mm 26 mm
5.6 .... 26 mm 36 mm
6.5 ....36 mm 15 mm
8.0 .... 36 mm 20 mm

Old 05-28-2012, 04:13 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Friends, the previous post has some good information about naming systems. As to where things are made, I would take that all as conjecture rather than fact. In any case where a motor is made is not relevent to how it is named. A motor could be made in factory Atoday, factory Btomorrow, Germany today and the USA tomorrow and still have the same name.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 AM
DrMotor

IT WOULD SEEM USEFUL, TO HAVE A LIST OF KNOWN CURRENT MANUFACTURERS OF BRUSHLESS MOTORS:
-Please feel free to add to this list, if you know of any other manufacturers that have been missed off:

SunRay Technology Co., Ltd. Shenzhen: http://sunraytechnology.com
Current manufacturer of: HACKER outrunner motors, Extreme-Flight TORQUE brushless motors
-Also manufacturer of: O.S. brushless motors
-They also manufacture: HYPERION Z-SERIES motors, "LIPOLICE" motors (Schweighofer, Austria), RCM-PELIKAN "FOXY" brushless motors, GENS ACE motors, OK HOBBY INFINITE motors, and MEGAPOWER TAURUS motors, -all these brands of motor are identical to the generic SunRay Technology motors (and therefore also similar or identical to Hacker and Torque motors)
-They also make: NOVA-LINE motors (sold by PILOTAGE-RC.COM in Eastern Europe), LIPOTECH motors (sold in Italy) -both have same external look to Torque motors;
-They also make APACHE motors -some have same external look as Hacker, and some have same external look as Torque; -Are sold by ANYRC.COM in Korea and Far East. - http://www.anyrc.com/product_html/pr...&bc_number=101
In addition, it now appears certain that SunRay Technology also manufactures the "Turnigy SK3" range of motors (sold by HobbyKing), which all have similar (if not identical) specs and performance to Hyperion Z-series, OK Hobby Infinite and also to the Hacker and Torque range of motors themselves

-SunRay Technology are also reputed to make: AIRBOSS speed controllers (also sold as: Hacker X-Pro, Hyperion, OK Hobby, Gens Ace Mars, Black Mantis, JPEnErg, PowerHD, Hawk (Logic), Quantum, Reaper, Innov8tive Cobra, Sonic Electric, Common Sense, Mystery ESC's -and also many other names ...) -see: http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/news.html -where Chris Hinson comments: " ... Nelson (Fong) manufactures our Torque motors and Airboss ESCs and traveled all the way from China to attend SEFF this year ..." Note that: Nelson Fong is the owner of SunRay Technology, in Shenzhen, China.
However it should be noted that itmayactually be the ZTW factory ( http://en.ztwoem.com/index.html ) that manufactures all these brands of ESC's -see: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157083; and also: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1333719
-And "Airboss" may just be one of the brands that these ZTWESC's are sold as ...

XYH, EMP, Electric Model Power ( -Also sold as: Turnigy "standard", Turnigy "SK", Turnigy "L"-type"Air" motors, HobbyKing NTMProp-drive motors, Purple Power "4-max", Overlander "Tornado Thumper", DualSky, Ray, Pelikan Ray, Hextronic, Exceed RC, Aeolian, Gemini, Aeronuts, Twister, B********* -and many many other names): http://en.xingyaohua.com/html/default.html

Zhuhai Huamai Electronics and Model, Chinahimark, Himark, Himax: http://www.chinahimark.com/ - Manufacturer of all E-FLITE motors.
They also manufacture all the "HIMAX" motors, sold by MAXX PRODUCTS - http://www.maxxprod.com -and distributed in Europe as: e.g. "Multilpex Himax", "JPEnerg" and "TopModel XPower" motors (and probably others also ...). Some of their motors are also labelled as "HIMARK" motors -especially in Australia / New Zealand / Far East. The Chinahimark factory almost certainly also make the Turnigy "EasyMatch" motors -which appear identical to E-Flite motors

Suppo Model: ( -Also sold as: Turnigy "H" motors, Mystery, HiModel, Giant Cod "SP", Grayson, BP Hobbies, Helimate, Dynamo, B********* -and many many other brand names ... ): http://www.suppomodel.com/

EMAX, YinYan Model, LoongMax ( -Also sold as: Turnigy "Typhoon" heli motors, Giant Shark "E-Power" ): http://www.yinyanmodel.com/
KEDA: http://www.kedamodel.com/ -often shown as "KD" motors -are basically poor copies of Hacker motors
Dong Yang Servo Power Model Co.,Ltd: -Manufacturer of the DYS motors, which are also "Turnigy XP" motors: http://www.dys.hk/
Aoyuxiang, Aoxan, Aoxing: http://aoxan.en.alibaba.com/, http://aoxan.en.gongchang.com/
Once Top Motor Manufacture Co., Ltd: www.wanzhida.cn
Pulso Motors (-Also sold as: Innov8tive "Cobra" motors -with small changes- in USA): http://www.pulsosystem.com/
Motrolfly: http://www.motrolfly.com/ ( -is part of a larger company, called Shenzhen DBY Technology Co. Ltd: http://www.dby-tech.com/products/)
Tiger Motor, T-Motor: http://www.rctigermotor.com/

SJ-Propo (Their chinese factory is: Aisijie Technology, in Shenzhen): http://sjproporc.com/ -SJ-Propo is a South Korean company.
( -Aisijie Technology is the previous chinese manufacturer of HACKER outrunner motors, before SunRay Technology took over several years ago)

Sunny Sky Model Co., Ltd, Zhongshan City: http://www.rcsunnysky.com
Sunrise Motor, Changzhou Sunrise Electric Motor Company: http://www.china-bldcmotor.com/
HobbyKing: http://www.hobbyking.com; For instance, they claim to manufacture the "NTM" series of motors themselves, in their own chinese factory

Scorpion: A large and well-known manufacturer of high quality brushless motors; Also sold as the Hyperion "ZS" series of motors. http://www.scorpionsystem.com
ZhuHai GS Model Accessories Mfg: http://www.gsmodels.com/en/introduce.html -Manufacturer of AXI "Silver series" motors; They also manufacture the Turnigy "CA" brushless motors sold by HobbyKing -i.e. CA 80-80 (50cc equiv.) and CA 120-70 (100cc equiv.)

Shenzhen Saite Motor Co., Ltd: http://www.saite-motor.com/about-us
Oversky motors (motors mostly for small planes and helis): http://www.overskyrc.com/index.php?m...=index&cPath=1

ARC motor: -manufacturer website unknown
Leopard, Leopard Power Model Co Ltd: http://www.leopardhobby.com/enindex.asp
HET motor, High-End Technology RC: http://www.highendrc.com/

Neu Motors: http://www.neumotors.com/Site/Welcome.html

Model Motors, AXI: http://www.modelmotors.cz/
Hacker (inrunner motors still made in Germany, outrunners made in above SunRay Technology Chinese factory): http://www.hacker-motor.com/en/home/index.html
PJS Motors (very high quality, little used in 2012 ...): http://www.pjs.cz/index.php?cPath=1
Mega Motors: http://www.megamotor.cz/v3/script/de...ge_id=lang_eng
Kontronik: http://www.kontronik.com/index.php?o...emid=6&lang=en
MVVS: http://www.mvvs.cz/elektromotory_e.html
Plettenberg: http://www.plettenberg-motoren.com/UK/index.htm
Torcman: http://www.torcman.de/index_e.htm
Lehner: http://www.lehner-motoren.com/
Flyware: http://www.flyware.de/

Align: http://www.align.com.tw/shop/index.p...67&language=en
Actro: http://www.actro.de/de/allg/index.html
Cyclon: no information about Cyclon manufacturing their own brushless motors

OTHER CHINESE FACTORIES MAKING BRUSHLESS MOTORS:
Chongqing Maitian Mechanical & Electrical Co., Ltd: www.maitian.com.cn/BLMOTOR.htm
China Topwin Industry Co.,Ltd: http://www.chinatopwin.com/
Shenzhen Power Motor Industrial Co: http://www.power-motor.com/
Dernfu Electronic (Dongguan) Co., Ltd: http://dernfu.en.alibaba.com/product...ess_Motor.html

Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: karolh

I have been in the hobby for decades flying glow and now gas models, but am just now getting interested in electric flight. I have a small 32 oz. Extra 260 which I currently fly with a 2836 KV1120 motor / a 30amp controller on a 3S 2200 ma lipo spinning an APC 10x5E prop at 8,900 rpm, but the model is a bit underpowered for my liking. As I as don't know how or what to relate the 2836 KV1120 specs to, I am asking for an explanation and some guidance in selecting a bit more powerful motor.

Karol
Everything You wanted to know about electric flight
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

This e-book will answer many of you questions about electric flight

Old 05-29-2012, 04:10 AM
DrMotor

ORIGINAL: aeajr Everything You wanted to know about electric flight http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm
-This e-book will answer many of you questions about electric flight
Had a quick look at this, Ed. Had not seen it before ...
Ed -This is very impressive work,with a great deal of useful informationabout choosing an apporpriate motor, Kv, ESC, Li-Po and charging etc -and even on radio systems.
Very useful indeed,especially for the"traditionalists" who have been slow to enbrace the tidal wave of electric power, and also for the newcomer to R/C flying.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:05 AM
DrMotor

I also noticed recently that:

Aeolian motors -are also XYH / EMP motors C-type motors, made witha slightdifferent-shaped outside housing.
e.g. http://www.hobby-parts.com/motor-c-7.html
http://rchobbymotor.com/Aeolian-Motor

In addition, Aeolian ESC's -are all ZTW ESC's.

Turnigy "L" series "Air" motors, at least the larger ones -are also XYH / EMP C-type motors
e.g. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_400kv.html

Old 05-31-2012, 05:13 AM
DrMotor

DIFFERENT SHAPES OF MOTORS MANUFACTURED BY THE XYH / EMP FACTORY:

a. I see that the OK HOBBY website is back up and running again: http://www.okhobby.net/category.php?id_category=4
The Infinite range of brushless motors that they sell, are of course manufactured by the SunRay Technology factory, andhavethe samespecs (and mostly the same external appearance) as: generic SunRay motors, LiPolice, Z-series Hyperion, Pelikan Foxy, Turnigy SK3, Apache, Nova-Line, Lipotech, and Gens Ace motors. However, OK Hobby is about the cheapest source, together with Hobbyking for Turnigy SK3 motors, for these SunRay-derived brushless motors.

b. The other range of motors that OK Hobby sells,iscalled by them "EMP MOTORS" -and therefore these motors must be manufactured by the XYH-XingYaoHua-EMP factory ( http://en.xingyaohua.com/html/ .)
It is interesting that some of these EMP motors that are sold by OK Hobby, have a quite different appearance to the usual XYH / EMPmotors that we are used to seeing, and that are sold by a greatmany other model supply businesses.
Some of the EMP motors sold by OK Hobby, havethe central black rotating can like theusual EMP motors,however they have blue end-housings which are shaped differently from the usual C-type and N-type XYH /EMP motors that we are used to seeing (see pics below).

c. It is also clear from this post:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=88
and also from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...L:COSI:US:1123
-and also from many brushless motor adverts on eBay, advertisinge.g."P&P Red Seriesmotors" i.e.http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+motor+Park400
-That there isin additionyet another shape of brushless motor produced bythesame XYH / EMP factory. This shapealso has a central black rotating can, however it now has red end-housings which are again adifferent shape at front and back from the usual types of XYH / EMP motors that we see. They are called, in this case, "P&P Red series" motors -and the motors are called e.g."C5055 RED EMPmotor" ...
-It has just stuck me, that these are exactly the same motors as the HobbyKing NTM Prop Drive motors(see pics below).-It has been unclear for some time who might manufacture these NTM motors,and indeed HobbyKing claims to manufacture these NTM motors themselvese.g." .... NTM Motors are produced by HobbyKing ... we produce these motors ourselves ...." etc etc.
-However, the suggestionthat these are "EMP" motors, shows thatthis is not true. Instead, it is very clear thatthese HobbyKing NTM Prop Drive motorsare actually manufactutredby the XYH / EMP factory.

Therefore, it is clear that the XYH / EMP factory produces various different types ofmotors, which have different outside housings (and colours) from the ones (C-type and N-type) shown on their website. The give-aways thatproves that thesevarious different motorsare actually manufactured bythe XYH / EMP factory, is that:
a. They have identical specs -weight, Kv, dimensions, shaft diam, etc etc -to the usual and well known range of XYH / EMP motors(C-type)
b. The accessories provided with the NTM motors, are almost the sameas those provided withthemore usual XYH /EMP motors.
c. It is now clear that the HobbyKing NTM Prop Drive motors are actually manufactured by the XYH / EMP factory.

Key to pictures,from left: 2 pictures of the usual ("C") type of XYH/ EMP motor sold by many outlets; EMP motor sold by OK HOBBY (blue end housings); Two pictures of atypical"Red EMP"motor, commonly sold on eBay at the moment; Finally, 2 pictures of an NTM Prop Drive motor,sold by HobbyKing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10687.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1767537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58439.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1767538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28515.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	32.7 KB