Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Clark electronics TK20

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM
tsull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clark electronics TK20

Thanks Dan,
Where did you order the IR's? Our next battle is next week. If I can purchase and have them delivered, I'll swap them in and report back on how they performed.
tjs
Old 02-06-2013, 12:37 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

I have 2 of the first batch TK20-T1 boards & 4 of the TK20E boards, & nothing had to be done to have the IR work on any of them but plugging in working IR LEDs.

I think Dan already gave the best advice to troubleshoot the issue. Plug in the flash LED or another known working LED to the Clark board IR port & fire. If the LED lights, the IRport is working & should work with an IR LED too. I would suspect as Dan did for an IR that didn't light up, that maybe the IR leads are either reversed, or there was something wrong with the IR used, so I would then try some other IR LEDs.

If the regular LED doesn't light up when connected to the IR port & firing, then re-connect the same LED to the board's flash port & fire again just to make 100% sure the LED used for the testing lights up & is still working. If it does light up connected to the flash port, then you know something is up with the Clark board IR port because it wouldn't light the working known LED. At that point I would use a multi-meter to check the voltage output of the IR port to see if it is working at all.

~ Craig ~
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mouser stocks the TSAL 5100's

I am not sure but the IR led you got with your DBC might be a 5100. I can't remember exactly when I started using them as the standard, but it was around the time you purchased your DBC3. IF it is light blue and not clear it probably is a 5100.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: YHR

Mouser stocks the TSAL 5100's
I bought some TSAL5100's from Mouser before, but they were the blueish tinted ones.
I was there earlier today on their site & did a quick look again, still seems to be the blueish ones only after reading the data sheet on the one they have listed below.

TSAL5100

Find anyone that might sell water clear TSAL5100 IRLEDs, or do they even manufacture them in clear at all?

Just wondering since I want to mount the flash LED behind the IR in the barrels of all or most my tanks if I can, so I really was wanting to pick up some if they had them in clear type.

~ Craig ~

Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Green Amphibian

Check with Joe at armorcreations for a clear IR LED. I know he had some, but not sure he still does.

Herman
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
YHR

Yes the ones I have are tinted as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Thanks Herman, I do have some water clear IR LED's already that I can use, it's just that I'm specifically looking for some water clear 5mm Vishay TSAL5100 IR LEDs because of their specs, that is, if they actually even make them. I am starting to believe this particular model only comes in a blueish tint.

Joe doesn't list the actual manufacturer part number or any specs of the clear 5mm IR LED's he is selling, I doubt they are the TSAL5100's (just guessing because odds would be in my favor they aren't ), but I can say that even if they were, the $5 price would most likely frighten me away anyway .... I'm cheap, so I'd just stick to the blueish tint TSAL5100 that I can get for less than 50¢ a piece.

~ Craig ~

Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, here's the scoop. Im installing the Clark in my KV-2 at the moment, and so far most things are running ok.

I have recoil issues! Im using the Asiatam recoil unit. Elevation is fine.. with the white and blue wires (they come off the positive lead of each motor) connected, it was randomly recoiling during elevation... Should i disconnect these?

When I fire the gun, flash works fine... now, should I be in Tamiya recoil mode, or HL? I dont want to start rewiring switches if I'm in the wrong mode.

The recoil motor doesnt even twitch when I fire the gun.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Hobby_Havoc_Australia

This is one popular thread these boards must be good [8D]
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry if it's not the answer you hoped for but everyone I've seen using the asiatam recoil Clark combo have butchered the recoil and adapted it to use a servo. Works really well though and a servo is cheap.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Strato50

ORIGINAL: tomhugill

Sorry if it's not the answer you hoped for but everyone I've seen using the asiatam recoil Clark combo have butchered the recoil and adapted it to use a servo. Works really well though and a servo is cheap.
In the last 5 minutes I have gotten it to work!

The trick is... completely IGNORE the wiring that comes on the asiatam unit... it wont work in that state at all. Follow the Clark wiring guide, and it will work fine. Ill try to explain as best I can.

First off, Tamiya mode is correct. It is an OPEN type contact switch on the unit, not a SHORT contact switch such as on HL units.

I used Heng Long style connections on the underside of my top hull, so, the little square printed circuit boards and 8 pin connector between top and bottom hull.

My issue was polarity & proper use of power on the recoil motor. Unlike the turret ROTATION & ELEVATION motor, which can be +/- or -/+ and not matter (it will just go opposite), you have to get the polarity of the Recoil motor right. I used a battery to test it manually then lable the +/-

The recoil motor needed all new, longer wires to reach under the upper hull. The blue & white "short" wires are useless in this setup, cut them, The "long" thick, red Ground wire, useless, cut it. Motor wires to the Recoil sensing switch (as mentioned above), CUT THEM TOO... lol

Pin 3 on the 8-pin connector is the + you need for the recoil. Its actually used to power the headlights & machine gun, I just soldered it to the forward circuit board.

Pin 4 is the " - " you need. It's not shared with anything, and is on the most-rearward circuit board, right next to the turret rotation motor. Soldered it there, and presto. All works.

Now you have to just solder 2 new leads from the Recoil switch, as the previous ones were too short and useless, and plug them into the "extra" dangling connector on the HL High Flash unit. If you dont have one, they plug into the board itself (see Clark website)

Ill post some pics ASAP explaining basically what I did...

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26223.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	1854930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96691.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1854931  
Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Strato50

Demonstrating the TK-22 RU in my KV-2, as of this morning. I like this board.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqWbn0qLwVI[/youtube]
Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM
FreakyDude

awesome vid Strato
Old 02-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

looks good and sounds great Stratos
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Strato50

ORIGINAL: Airbrushler

looks good and sounds great Stratos
HeyGreg, hows your Panther coming along with the clark board? I remember the video you posted last of it, fully functional?

Also, I'm looking for a good sensor unit, a TBU or a DBU, where can I get one at a reasonable price?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Airbrushler

trying to remember someone posted a Leo and while driving it he had tob go up and to the right to drive foward straight with the controler ... well mine drives like that maybe it's normal how about yours?

as for the DBU

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...x6hD9vR68Jfrog

i don't know if YellowShaker sells them or not, or Freakydude
Old 02-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Strato50

ORIGINAL: Airbrushler

trying to remember someone posted a Leo and while driving it he had tob go up and to the right to drive foward straight with the controler ... well mine drives like that maybe it's normal how about yours?

as for the DBU

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...x6hD9vR68Jfrog

i don't know if YellowShaker sells them or not, or Freakydude
Sounds like a weird setup... or a radio needs its trims set up badly.

I have mine set up exactly like the SLU function and drive wise. I had to de-sensitize the aileron (steering left & right for me) because I had to go ALL the way to make even small turns.. but you need a computer radio for that. It drives normally for me.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:28 AM
YHR

Once you get everything working,abandon the Clark stick mapping, and switch the servo cables around. I had my Clark board set up exactly the same as the Heng Long Standard for driving the tank..
Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 AM
FreakyDude

Strato what radio and reciever combo you using? I am mapping out all the different radio's so that folks can set up the clark boards in a variety of different combinations.
I have mine set up like the HL- fire on the left stick up etc, but I have been able to mimic Tamiya's set up with my Turnigy as well
Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Strato50

Im using a Spektrum DX6i, with a AR 600 spektrum reciever. I have it set up like SLU controls.. left stick functions, MG, engine, turret rotation, and fire, right stick throttle and steering.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
clarkmodel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TK22-KV1 preview:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE4Vjx9jXCc&list=UUtwaop58N19jaI9nCLwQ_hg& index=1[/youtube]

Release date: 3/10
Old 02-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Strato50

So I hooked up a HL sensor unit (one of the blue plastic ones) and the white LED that came with my clark board, and tried to program it with the Sony remote...

I got zero response.. I made sure the remote was working through a digital camera, so its sending signals.. Not sure if the HBU is faulty, or the right kind.. The white LED flickers when I turn on power, but nothing else...

Is there a way to make sure the remote is properly programmed?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:32 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: Strato50

So I hooked up a HL sensor unit (one of the blue plastic ones) and the white LED that came with my clark board, and tried to program it with the Sony remote...

I got zero response.. I made sure the remote was working through a digital camera, so its sending signals.. Not sure if the HBU is faulty, or the right kind.. The white LED flickers when I turn on power, but nothing else...

Heng Long sensors will work for programming, & I believe the blue apples are pinned out the same as the silver/black HL sensors, so unless the sensor in the apple itself is faulty, it should probably work.

But how exactly are you connecting the HL sensor to the Clark board CN2 plug while trying to program it, alligator clips with wires, using original HL wiring, or using one of Clark's pre-made apple bases?

These may be obvious, but for starters ...
1. Make sure the jumper shunt you placed on the J2 (recoil servo port) has a good connection shorting those inside 2 pins together.
2. Make sure the HL IR sensor pins are definitely wired up to the board's CN2 pins 1 (+), 2 (SGNL), 3 (-) properly. The HL sensors pins are not in that order, they have the (+) pin closest to the larger plastic seating peg on the apple, with the (-) for the middle pin, & the (SGNL) pin closest to the smaller plastic peg. So the first pin on the HL sensor matches the #1 pin on the CN2 port, but the (-) & (SGNL) pins on the HL sensor must be reversed as they go to the CN2 port so they connect to the proper pins.

~ Craig ~
Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 AM
Strato50

ORIGINAL: B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: Strato50

Heng Long sensors will work for programming, & I believe the blue apples are pinned out the same as the silver/black HL sensors, so unless the sensor in the apple itself is faulty, it should probably work.

But how exactly are you connecting the HL sensor to the Clark board CN2 plug while trying to program it, alligator clips with wires, using original HL wiring, or using one of Clark's pre-made apple bases?

These may be obvious, but for starters ...
1. Make sure the jumper shunt you placed on the J2 (recoil servo port) has a good connection shorting those inside 2 pins together.
2. Make sure the HL IR sensor pins are definitely wired up to the board's CN2 pins 1 (+), 2 (SGNL), 3 (-) properly. The HL sensors pins are not in that order, they have the (+) pin closest to the larger plastic seating peg on the apple, with the (-) for the middle pin, & the (SGNL) pin closest to the smaller plastic peg. So the first pin on the HL sensor matches the #1 pin on the CN2 port, but the (-) & (SGNL) pins on the HL sensor must be reversed as they go to the CN2 port so they connect to the proper pins.

~ Craig ~
Great timing Craig!

I just got it to work, I had 2 wires in the wrong spot on the HBU, and didn't notice...WOW! Programming Clark boards is... fun... awesome.. fantastic! I turned on Momentum, it's perfect. I removed the Pivot function altogether (KV-2, didnt pivot, right?). It was going into pivot mode while driving normally, I didn't like that.. now that it's gone, one track comes to a stop during 'hard' turns. Perfect.

Also turned on machine gun signal, hehe... I like that function.

These boards are better than Tamiya as far as flexibility and customization is concerned. I prefer the SLU sound-wise, and it's a great battling & driving unit, very precise controls.

I hope to see very many more Clark boards on the field asap... Now we just need battle sensors...!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Airbrushler

all fixed Thanks for the help Stratos

i wanted mine loud i added some more speakers at the vents...lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ff1mnzJg0&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.