Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Glow engine woes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:37 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glow engine woes...

A friend has asked me a question that I can't answer. How about you guy's. The engine is a Magnum 120 4stroke.When started upon removal of the glow plug the rpm's increase. What would cause this?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Glow engine woes...

The only thing I can imagine is that the timing changed for the better. When using the glow battery the timing was too far advanced, pre ignition. When removed it retarded and more energy used to push piston down instead of trying to keep it from coming up.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:02 PM
jeffie8696

Glow heat affects timing, if the glow plug is too hot the ignition will occur too soon and lower the power output. This can also be affected by higher nitro and higher compression. With the glow igniter attached you are artifically making the glow plug hotter.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, I'm the friend acerc is referring to.   I'll give you a little more information:

First of all, as stated, I have a Magnum FS-120.  It will only run at idle with the glow igniter attached.  It runs well at around 1/2 throttle and higher, but below that, will die.  At the lower RPM's, when the igniter is removed, is when the RPM's increase.  I've tried opening the low speed needle until it was too rich and would load up quickly.  I leaned it up until it was too lean to run at idle.  Right in between is where it runs best, but again, with the igniter attached.  There is no happy medium without it.

I agree with both Cobra1 and jeffie8696.  That's the only thing that made since as to why it would speed up.  However, it won't keep running unless I'm at 1/2 throttle or higher.  I have considered running with an On Board Glow, turning on under 1/2 throttle, but I'd rather fix the problem instead.

So, with that said, does anyone have any other suggestions?

By the way, thanks Ace for getting this started!

Take care,
David
Old 08-19-2012, 03:23 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Check your cam timing, your valve lash and the Oring at the intake manifold to carb for proper seating, also check your idle mixture screw. Probably cam timing, mark should be inline with pushrod tubes or straight down depending on engine at TDC. Put a fresh OS F plug and try different fuel also. The Magnum 120 will idle all day at 2000 rpm if properly tuned and broke in and turn 8000-8500 rpm peaked with MA 15/8 prop.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Thanks P-40.  I'm running the MA 15x8 now and the same fuel mix as the guy who owned it before me.  He recently examined the engine himself, so I'll relay this info to him to see if he checked all that before I tear into it.

Hey, sorry Ace!  Didn't mean to hijack your thread! 

Thanks again!
David
Old 08-19-2012, 03:50 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This could just be a bad glow plug. The plating on the element is gone or the element is contaminated. As already suggested, try a fresh OS "F" plug before anything else.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Oh, forgot to say I already tried that.  It ran the same as with the original plug.  And I did get the OS "F" plug as well.  Guess it wouldn't hurt getting another just in case it was two bad plugs in a row.  Hmmm...
Old 08-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

When the timing changes for the better when the glow power is removed, that is an indication that it is too lean. If it were too rich it would slow upon removing the glow power. Try richening the LS needle about .5 turn, then peak the HS needle and see how it does. Then go back and reset HS needle for your normal setting.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Thanks Hobbsy, I'll give that a try... in a day or two.  I'll let you know what happens.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:27 AM
KW_Counter

Does the original owner live near you?
I had a similar sounding problem after moving from the
Imperial Valley, below sea level, to Lake County, above 1,000 feet.
When I switched from 10% nitro to 15% the problem was solved.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 08-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Thanks KW_Counter.  Yes and no, but the important part is we live at pretty much the same elevation.  However, the blend of the fuel (he mixes his own) may have something to do with it.  I'll check to see what % this is and maybe try some 15% out just to see if that does the trick.  A hotter burn just might work, makes sence anyway.  Once again, I'll let you know.

Take care,
David
Old 08-20-2012, 08:08 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most if not all Magnum engines are boat anchors. They are nothing more than a cheap copy of an OS engine.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Most if not all Magnum engines are boat anchors. They are nothing more than a cheap copy of an OS engine.
Why go there? Magnum engines are NOT cheap copies - they are exact copies of the design with lower cost parts and labor. OS is like Toyota - too damn proud of their products. And a great many people using OS engines use Magnum spare parts, especially on the four strokes.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: flycatch

So if it is a copy then you are saying OS is a boat anchor also.

there is always one guy that has turn a good thread into a pissing match. your statement would be sorta ok if in a thread asking if magnum engines are good but it isnt.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

]

I checked with the original owner, it is 15% fuel. We're now thinking that since it had been sittting awhile, maybe the intake O-ring could be bad. I may get a kit just to fix that. Does anybody know where I could get an O-ring other than from Global Services (not that they're bad, just like to find a local source)?

Thanks,
David
Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 AM
jeffie8696

Auto parts store?
As an aside, I am not a huge fan of Magnum engines but I have a 52 FS on my Escapade and have flown it for several hours now with great success.
It took a long break in but it runs like a champ now. It lacks the refinement of my Saitos but it also lacks the price tag.
I purchsed a Saito 62 to replace it but to tell the truth I am so happy with the Magnum 52 that I am dragging my feet swapping it out (that and I am a lazy SOB lately).
Ilanded some 30% nitro fuel for cheap, and the 52 LOVES it !!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

From what I've heard (may not be true) the Magnum will run on straight nitro, not sure about that!

I would agree with the price tag!  And, a side note, from what I've heard (here we go again) Magnum is made by OS!  (Thanks for that info Ace!)

Anyway, I'd like to eventually replace this with a gasser to save money in the long run.  But for now (until I can save up the money, maybe in a few years [:@]) I'll keep this one running.  Or I guess I should say "get this one running"!

Take care,
David

Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Magnum Engines are clones of older OS engines made in China. I just went blank on the manufacture-old age. They are good engines and are great for the price.

Bruce
Old 08-20-2012, 01:10 PM
RCPAUL

Thanks flycatch

You have made a significant contribution - NOT!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 PM
P-40 DRIVER

You can use high temp gasket sealent ( the orange stuff) if you don't want to fiddle with getting the carb Oring. worked like champ on my 120.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:23 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I deleted a childish comment and had to also delete a couple of reasonable replies since they had quotes of it.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Ernie Misner

Did you mean you heard a Mag. could run on straight methanol? (not nitro!)

They slow down when you remove the glow driver if it needs more nitro. So speeding up could indicate needing less nitro possibly.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 PM
jeffie8696

There is no reason it wont run on FAIfuel, but how well is another story.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 PM
heavydriver

The manufacture of Magnum , ASP and some Thunder Tiger is Sanye Motors. These motors are great sport motors that put out plenty of power for the average guy. The designer of these motors worked for OS and they had an ugly parting of ways so the story goes. He took his designs to Sanye as a parting shot. I have quite a few of these motors and i've found that they like 10-15% nitro with some castor (Omega) and a good quality OS F plug. They run like clockwork on that combo. Some guys like to bad mouth them and say they're no good and should buy OS only. Ya, the machine finish is not OS quality, but that cosmetic stuff doesn't make any difference how they run if they're set up correctly. -sorry for bad sp and grammer-new ipad user

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.