Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Ryan STA

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Ryan STA

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Sig Ryan STA

Like many others before me, I started in this wonderfull hobby in the early 70's. Having a very limited budget then left me with the hopes of someday building the planes that I wanted during that era at some othertime in the future when funds were more available. Fast forward to today, where did all that time go (not to mention my funds)?

I've always admired the Sig Ryan STA plane, and recently I had the good fortune to buy oneon E-bay for a tidy sum of $225.00. Now buying a NIB kit from 1971 makes one wonder if all that money that you are spending will just be for the plans and instruction booklet, after all, the wood in the kit is 41 years old! My kit arrived recently and I was eager to open it and check its contents.It was like a time capsule. I found the wood to be of the highest quality with no warping, twisting, splitting or hardening of any kind! I really couldn't believe it....

My intentions for this rather hard to find kit is to bringit out of the 70's buildtechnology and bring it into today's technology standards without changing its looksor flight characteristics. There isn't a whole lot of information out there for this type of plane for me to reference. My thoughts are to power this beauty with a DLE20 engine and get rid of all the bellcranks and install individual servosfor all the ailerons and flaps along with a pull-pull set-up on the rudder. So that's it in a nut shell, hope you enjoy the process.........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72880.jpg
Views:	1404
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1796062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21253.jpg
Views:	1493
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1796063  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:01 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sig Ryan STA

Looking forward to it. I am subscribed.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 AM
acerc

By the way, if you want a fiberglass cowl and pant's they are available here. http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm
Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 AM
batdog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am subscribed as well and can hardly wait to see the progress. This plane has been a favorite of mine but I have never owned one. good luck. batdog
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Will a DLE-20 fit in the cowl? Would be a real shame to hack it up. The plastic parts with the sig kits are high quality, actually usable compared to other kit makers.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

VincentJ, put a .60 in it! If you still need a little more power consider a .75 or a .90 which in a lot of cases share the .60 crankcase. Remember the .60 the designer put in his airplane back in the 70s had a lot less power than a new .60 you buy from your LHS or mail order. You don't even need to get the top of the line OS Max .60 AX to get extra power! I'm sure some of our resident RCU engine experts can quote the hp ratings if we give the time to post. This is a scale Ryan STA trainer do you really need to 3D it like a modern pattern plane and hang it vertical from the propeller?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 AM
FlyerInOKC

One more thing you lucky dog! The STA is on my short list. I just need to get my scratch built twin Ryan SC-M/W finished first. Yes i'm green with envy!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I got the same kit, same condition, and for the same reasons

However, and probably most will disagree with me (even though my approach has proved successfull many times), when I build such a kit I try to remain faithful to the original e.g. use same or similar type of power (a DLE 20 is way overpower and out of character of this model) and I usually even use bellcranks where they were used on the original model. Keep in mind most real full size light aircraft use bellcranks so why can't a model use them successfully? of course they need to be installed and connected properly, and there are ways to do that.

Good luck and please do post a build thread with lots of photos!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM
VincentJ

Thanks Robert for the linkI will be sure to use them in this build. Welcome, Acerc, FlyerInOKC, Smithcreek, EFand batdog!

It is true that the engine I am installing is overpowered for this model but with some of the modifications that I am planning and the throttle stick I will still be able to fly it "scale" and do it much cheaper than by usingglow fuel. The question of the DLE20 fitting inside of the cowl is a good one, and one that I will answer in just a moment.First thing thatI did however was to take the plans to a copier and have them duplicated, I did this for acouple ofreasons one which is obvious and the other being that I hate to build on folded plans, I much prefer rolled plans. Having done that- with plans on the work table I was able to come tothe conclusion that the DLE20, mounts and exhaust will fit under the cowl with no problems.

To fit the engine/mount combo, the firewall will need to be moved 1-5/8" back.(Pencils on the plan show original mount and future mount locations)Doing this will also solve an inherent weak point in the original build sequence which I will show in the next batch of photos to follow.

Name:	Lj24048.jpg
Views:	1390
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1796134  
Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 PM
VincentJ

Photo 2

Name:	Ec88656.jpg
Views:	1281
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1796140  
Old 08-28-2012, 12:43 PM
VincentJ

Photo #3

Name:	Sq45567.jpg
Views:	1601
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1796141  
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM
FlyerInOKC

Looks like the DLE 20 will fit. I'm glad they designed the 20 to beam mount instead of stud mounting like the bigger engines.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM
acerc

Sound's like you have a good game plan VJ. Whatever you do don't drill, file, sand, or anything to that engine mount. I have seen three aluminum mount's break because of such. I personally use a compareable glow composite engine mount. For my 20cc's I use this. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXATG7&P=0
Old 08-28-2012, 02:45 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I have built a lot of older kits, and I have only encountered 1 issue with them. The wood is usually much drier than normal, so CA glue may not cure. If the kit was stored in a controlled environment, this may not be an issue. Just test a few scraps with CA before you start, if you plan to use CA. It's not a problem for me as I don't use it lot anymore.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 PM
VincentJ

Thanks for the heads up on the aluminum mount Robert. I too have used that same mount on some of my other planes.

TLH101, I don't use much if any CA either. My glues of choice are Titebond II wood glue for most building and 30 minute epoxy for higher stressed areas.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 PM
acerc

Great mind's think alike.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 PM
I_Fly

What a strange turn of events, finding this thread. I remember looking through the old Sig catalogs and LHS dreaming of flying the Ryan STA with its bold front end and bright colors. Two weeks ago I went to a small swap and found not one but two models that have been on my "to build" list since my start in this hobby sometime in the mid '80s. One was the SIG Ryan STA special. The other was the Sig Liberty Sport biplane. I remember visiting the local shop and looking at both of these. Something about them just called to me but as a teenager I didn't have the money, time, or skills.

Truth be told I may not be much better off today. My last kit build was a Sig Aqua Star about four years ago and really enjoyed getting back to actual building. But I purchased both kits at bargain prices which put a smile on my face. I look forward to your thread and sharing my eventual build with my two boys ages 7 and 9. So I have been looking for information online trying to decide which kit was going to be the project for this winter. Part of the choice will depend on power. I'm thinking a Satio 90. The power and sound just seem to suit this model.  My other concern is proper covering and finish.   So please include details of everything you plan to do!

Count me as subscribed!

Carl

Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Well to say the least this is an exciting thread. I just happen to have a completely built Sig Ryan STA I built and flew in 1982. I am at work currently, but rest assured pics will follow this afternoon.

Jimmy
Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 AM
acerc

Vincent, by photo #2 you might need a pitt's with a taper on the outlet. I bought one from J-Tec made with that taper. Cost a little more but worth it vs cutting the side open on the cowl.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 AM
VincentJ

Welcome Carl and Jimmy! Carl the twokits that you found were they started or not? Nice find. I know what you mean about the Ryan bringing you back in time.

Jimmy can't wait to see some pictures of your model.... The Ryan has been a plane that many have remembered and admired, to that end why hasthere been little information on such a wonderful airplane? Hopefully through this thread we canresurrectthe Ryan and give itthe attention it deserves!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:02 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Subscribed,
I always liked the Ryan.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-29-2012, 05:06 AM
I_Fly

Vincent
The two kits I found were not started.The Liberty sport is still wrapped in plastic.Someone opened the Ryan but it looks to be complete.The box is yellow from age but the wood, hardware, and plastic parts all seem to be there and are in good shape.Balsa is an amazing material and can last for many years when properly handled.That same seller had another Ryan that was started and someone else grabbed it as I walked up.Latter we compared what we purchased and only the tail had been worked on.Fortunately I found the second one and quickly put it under my arm.
I can't wait to start one of them but it will be a month or more before some of my household responsibilities are taken care of.
ORIGINAL: VincentJ

Welcome Carl and Jimmy! Carl the twokits that you found were they started or not? Nice find. I know what you mean about the Ryan bringing you back in time.

Jimmy can't wait to see some pictures of your model.... The Ryan has been a plane that many have remembered and admired, to that end why hasthere been little information on such a wonderful airplane? Hopefully through this thread we canresurrectthe Ryan and give itthe attention it deserves!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

For all you fellow Ryan fans the aviation museum in San Diego has uploaded their Ryan factory photo collection with lots of STAs, STMs, and the harder to find SCs if you are interested. I downloaded every photo I could find for my SC-M/W project and plan on going back for more photos. Use Google search and you will find them.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have found leaving the box lid off indoors during humid weather will let old balsa absorb a little of the loss moisture and acclimatize to the indoor environment. Patience is the key and something I want right now!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 AM
mrwad
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there,

I love this plane ! I live just outside San Diego and when I go to the Aerospace Museum I always spend a lot of time in front of the Ryan they have on display. My Ryan "build" is a Great Planes "ARF Bash". Ready for paint but can't make up my mind. I want something BOLD in color rather than the military scheme. Enjoy your build ! I too will be following your progress.

Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.