Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 55-RA

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Red Falcon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE 55-RA

Hey sbrackets, I don't know what to think about this muffler anymore other than I wish I would of stayed with the old DLE 55. I have read the post with the reply from DLE and I believe all engines vibrate some. I have a custom made spinner from TruTurn, a balanced Zoar prop, bolts going all the way through my standoffs to prevent vibration. What more can I do? I even built supporters from the firewall all the way back into the first third of the fuse for support. This was all done before the first flight! Well, the story for me is, after $120 worth of modifications to fix and beef up the exhaust, it broke off again. This time around the welding that was done to te flange. It was ironic as it was the 9th flight after repairs and as I was flying my buddy said "your engine sounds great"! Approximately 3 minutes later my engine didn't sound the same. I did a low pass and didn't notice anything and decided to land. As my plane touched down and rolled by me I noticed the muffler flopping around again. To tell you the truth I was getting reday to contact Bisson today to have an exhaust made. I am getting tired of this! I received a new exhaust from Troy Built models and now have modified this one also. Unfortunatly I didn't take pictures of it before I put it back on the plane. I spent another $75 to have aluminum welded on the whole front and backside with extra tacking using rosettes. This plate was welded on to strengthen the flange. RXRC has done this and hasn't had any problems yet. What I didn't do this time was add longer pipes. I was going to use the crappy plastic tubes they supplied with the engine but it turned out the were about 1/2" to short to at least be even with the bottom of the cowl. So I have placed heater tubing to extend them just below the cowl and don't know if this will work. I have not flown the plane with these modifications yet as I am not prepared to be disappointed again. I keep on flying my old faithful Sukhoi. I have included some pictures I just took for your viewing pleasure to show the old muffler and try to show the welding of the new. Ok, I tried to attach photos, lets see if it worked!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17603.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1843836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16571.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1843837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55525.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1843838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68308.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1843839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21466.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1843840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74989.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1843841  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Send it back and get a refund!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Implied and express warranty of fitness.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
thepamster

I was wondering how am I going to add a smoke fluid nipple to this muffler being that it is so thin. It looks like that may be the least of my problems with this muffler for this engine when I start using it.
I hope someone comes out with a new muffler for this RA version sooooon.
Come on Slimline, Jtec, somebody. Lets go!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Red Falcon

thepamster,
Just emailed JTEC today concerning this muffler. Here is their reply:

Chris,

We do offer a couple of different options for the DLE 55 Rear exhaust depending on how much room you have behind the engine and what you are looking for. If you are looking to just replace the stock muffler with something similar we can certainly do that. You would be looking at $59.99 plus shipping for one of our incowl upright/inverted mufflers which would be our version of the stock muffler. If you are looking for something a little quieter then the stock setup then we really need to know how much room you have since it is a rear exhaust version.

As for smoke, never buy a smoke version of a muffler for a gas engine. With a gas engine the exhaust temperatures are so high that all you really need to get awesome smoke is a small pressure fitting (the smaller the better), this will save you $30 and your smoke will be just as good as a coil or any other item other companies sell.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

JTEC RADIOWAVE
704-799-1658
www.jtecrc.com

If I only emailed sooner I could of bought almost three of them before I wasted all my money on repairs!!!
Well, I know what I am ordering tomorrow!!!! I will still fly what I repaired but at least I will be ready with a backup and not be dreading my flight. Well, I guess I would be disappointed if it broke after the first flight. It takes me about 45 minutes to put the plane together with flying wires and the same to take it apart.[:'(]
Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM
thepamster

Thanks for posting that Red Falcon.
I was planning on just adding a pressure nipple but on the stock muffler I don't think it is thick enough to thread in though I have not tried.
Perhaps the new muffler from Jtec will work better or maybe they can even add one for me.
Let us know about the new muffler when you get it. From Jtec I am sure it will be good though.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Red Falcon

Will do pamster,
I plan on calling them tomorrow to order one. I know the quality will be good. The DLE muffler cause of problems which I believe is to be the metal is way to thin compared to their older models.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 AM
Lifer

It seems that the premium price of the RA, plus the added cost of an after-market muffler just about equals the cost of the earlier version plus an after-market pitts-style muffler. DLE engines are great, and I have 7 of them and am very pleased with their performance, but it seems they didn't do any quality testing, at all, on the new design muffler.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Red Falcon

I agree Lifer,
I have a couple of the older versions that never gave me any serious problems and run great. With this new RA, it runs great, as long as I can keep the muffler together. From day one during initial breakin, it started right up, has always ran great, but its just that damn muffler. I believe DLE did not do extensive quality testing of the muffler either. It works great for a few flights and then ends up failing! I am not giving up yet but it has cost me a few pretty pennies! I guess you all can learn from my mistakes! If you buy one, contact an after market muffler company and have one made. It will save you some headaches and some extra cash from being thrown away!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 AM
sbrackets

I will be sending my Brand NEW/unused DLE-55RA muffler this weekend to a Muffler company to make us a Jamup Muffler for the DLE-55RA. I will anounce the name of that company shortly. I just have to make sure it's OK with them first.

Regards, Jim
Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
ewalk

Hey Jimbo,

I was finally able to get the pictures of my muffler failure uploaded. As Jim mentioned earlier, I have 10 flights on this engine. I am worried as I bought another one for my Top Flite P-47. It has two flights on it, so I should get a few more before seeing a problem. I looked around a little earlier for a replacement. I know Jim is in talks with a company and it looks like JTECH will build one for us as well. Bisson makes a muffler that looks like it will work. I need to verify the mounting flange dimensions. I am sure that they would be able to make one without too much trouble. Their muffler is for a G-38. I hope to get in touch with them early this week. I will let everyone know how it goes. It is a shame that this engine is showing a problem like this. I think that the RA has more pop than the side exhaust version.

I have multiple calls and e-mails into Hobby Services, but they have not gotten back to me. I am not sure what the hold up is. They have always been responsive in the past.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48215.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1845196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63634.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1845197  
Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 AM
Lifer

Sorry that you are having these problems. Hobby Services probably doesn't have any acceptable answers. Too bad they changed the bolt spacing. It would be great if the side-exhaust muffler would bolt up. I think you guys have a valid claim for a refund based on an express warranty of fitness. The engine is unusable as designed.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Sorry that you are having these problems. Hobby Services probably doesn't have any acceptable answers. Too bad they changed the bolt spacing. It would be great if the side-exhaust muffler would bolt up. I think you guys have a valid claim for a refund based on an express warranty of fitness. The engine is unusable as designed.
The engine is unusable as designed? How so?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 AM
357magnum

I think there is is problem with there mufflers.
I think that DLE should step up to the plate and do something about it.
They are aware of the problem with these muffler. If you bough new a
car and the muffler fell apart after only ten trips
would you continue to drive like that?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Lifer

Unusable in the fact that every field I have been to requires an effective muffler. As this design self destructs, it means you can't use the engine. It is a lightly built aluminum can that cannot survive normal use. That is the express warranty of fitness.

I have 7 DLE engines and think they are a great value, but this is unacceptable. Send them back for a refund and eventually DLE will get the message. Spending more of your money on their higher priced version of the 55 so it becomes usuable? Unacceptable.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Whistling Death

Makes sense. I plan on purchasing a new engine some time this spring and I am a DLE fanboy. If I were looking at the engine right now I'd just hold off my purchase till the muffler situation was resolved.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM
sbrackets

Hello All

Well I guess it's safe to say the the Muffler Company that I contacted to make us a good muffler is Bennett mufflers, or B&B Specialites. I have shipped them my NEW!! DLE-55RA muffler as a templet to go by in making the Better/Stronger muffler for the DLE-55RA.

They make good quality muffler and a good price. And they were more then willing to help us.

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/shop/Mufflers.html

Regards, Jim
Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 PM
357magnum

ORIGINAL: sbrackets

Hello All

Well I guess it's safe to say the the Muffler Company that I contacted to make us a good muffler is Bennett mufflers, or B&B Specialites. I have shipped them my NEW!! DLE-55RA muffler as a templet to go by in making the Better/Stronger muffler for the DLE-55.

They make good quality muffler and a good price. And they were more then willing to help us.

Regards, Jim

Please keep us updated with this muffler looks like they make good quality mufflers.
Thanks.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM
SU-31 flyer

I agree Bennett Built are good mufflers. I've had some for 10 years and their still going strong after 100's of flights. I have a 55ra on order and will be interested to see their price. May just change out to the Bennett muffler just to save problems.

I had a little hard landing missed concrete and landed short and removed gear from plane on lip. Anyway the muffler pipes took all the weight of 17 lbs. and removed one pipe of the two. Sent it in to Bennett and they fixed it for what I thought was a good price. Hope they make one.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Whistling Death

Hello All

Well I guess it's safe to say the the Muffler Company that I contacted to make us a good muffler is Bennett mufflers, or B&B Specialites. I have shipped them my NEW!! DLE-55RA muffler as a templet to go by in making the Better/Stronger muffler for the DLE-55RA.

Regards, Jim
Good deal, Bennett mufflers are top notch. If you shake one of them apart you got serious problems.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello All

Regards, Jim
Hello Jim,
Bennett makes good stuff. I'll be interested in the price.

Nelson
Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM
sbrackets

Hello Nelson, and everyone

Bennett has announced the price to me for the "NEW" replacement DLE-55RA muffler @ $39.95 the standard price + shipping. They are in the process of making me three replacement mufflers att. Get your orders in......

Thank you Bennett manufacturing for all your help with the DLE-55RA muffler issues. Maybe now we can put it behind us and move on with some flying!!!

Jim

Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 PM
sbrackets

I just got a word today from Bennett Mufflers, that the DLE-55RA mufflers are ready for shipping. They are now also listed on the web site.

Regards, Jim
Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Whistling Death

This is good news for 55-RA owners. Probably the last muffler you'll ever need for that engine.
I didn't notice if one was already available but it would be a good idea if they turned one out for the 35-RA as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM
ccostant
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great news. Thanks for going the extra mile with B&B. I was holding off buying a DLE55-RA until I heard more about the muffler situation. This engine/muffler combo will work well in a number of 50cc size inline engine warbirds. I'm thinking I'd like to put the DLE55-RA in a Yellow Aircraft spifire as well as a Top Flite P-51.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only on problem with those mufflers is cooling. the rear of the cylinder will be very hot and the front is much cooler with the airflow. No airflow around the back of the cylinder...ZERO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.