Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

No more ARF's for me

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

No more ARF's for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: No more ARF's for me

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

So how many fat, lazy heart diseased children and adults, outside of those already involved in R/C of any kind, have even heard of an ARF or know what it means....

Hey, I just got this stuff cleaned off me and now I've stepped in it again.

Goodbye!

Jaybird
Anyone with any curiosity at all about this sport / hobby will either look into it online or at a magazine rack to see what this is all about. They will get an avalanche of info about ARFs right away. Most magazines are now 99% ARF catalogs. If you are lucky enough to find a stash of model mags that go back 40 or 50 years, you might find them to be full of fascinating articles about how to build / design planes....and more competition related articles.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember kids, in case of ARF attack duck and cover, or maybe that should be duck and recover Really people; do you really think the worlds problems are related to whether we build or buy an toy airplane; or that kids are all lazy,fat, and dumb because of tv? The real problem is the breakdown of the family unit and the failure to accept absolute truths that have proved themselves over and over for thousands of years is what will bring all of down eventually. Parents too self absorbed in their work, hobbies, and the accumalation of stuff charged to a credit card, and the devaluing of life at all stages these are the REALissues. I would agree with some; put down your own life and invest some time in your marriage and your kids if your so blessed. Show your kids what it really means to sacrifice onesWANT'S for theNEEDS of another. Now that will change the world, and if your kid wants to be part of your hobby then by all means enjoy them. These threads over arfs vs kits always end up here, blaming all the problems in life on the infux of arfs. Very sad indeed.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You win! I'm going home and destroying all my heart disease causing ARF airplanes. I'll get so much excercise from doing that that I'll have enough energy to sit for hours and hours at my work bench creating something that will inspire all the children to join in with me..sitting for hours and hours watching me build. I'm going over to my hobby shop and throw out all the racks of magazines. I'll also let Horizon and Great planes and Composite ARF and Wild Hare and all the rest of them know what awful things THEY are doing to me and stop it, right now!

Doh! Stepped in it again.

Hopefully this will inspire all those who believe so strongly in the evils of ARF to join with me and...oh never mind, this is stupid.

Jaybird
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really know how to rain on a parade
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

You win! I'm going home and destroying all my heart disease causing ARF airplanes. I'll get so much excercise from doing that that I'll have enough energy to sit for hours and hours at my work bench creating something that will inspire all the children to join in with me..sitting for hours and hours watching me build. I'm going over to my hobby shop and throw out all the racks of magazines. I'll also let Horizon and Great planes and Composite ARF and Wild Hare and all the rest of them know what awful things THEY are doing to me and stop it, right now!

Doh! Stepped in it again.

Hopefully this will inspire all those who believe so strongly in the evils of ARF to join with me and...oh never mind, this is stupid.

Jaybird
Just think of how great it is to separate yourself from people, not coming out for months, and sort of become a reckluse (sp?) covered in glue in your little building area building your planes. Somehow that seems so much more fulfilling than going out and hanging around people, doesn't it?

This is getting much more entertaining than I ever imagined it would.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Jaybird

Entertaining...yes (if you like this sort of "reality TV" approach)

Informative and useful.....no (if you want to enjoy your HOBBY more)

Jaybird

I really need to unsubcribe from this thread....
Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

I do know what you are saying the mags seem to be all about arfs and foamys anymore may not renew this year.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

I was flying a scratch built plane two weeks ago and the wing flew off in the air. I should start an, ''I hate scratch built planes'' thread now

Not at all.

Just start a thread on crappy built planes, whether they be scratch, kit or ARF.

It's ultimately the quality of the build that counts. You make junk, you get junk and suffer the consequences. There are lots of builders who can't build worth a hoot.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:05 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: raptureboy
These threads over arfs vs kits always end up here, blaming all the problems in life on the infux of arfs. Very sad indeed.
Yor "take" on what some of us are saying is completely bass-ackwards.
I've been saying that the huge popularity of ARFS is indicative of what the "man of today" has become...not the cause.
Some folks here need to sharpen up their reading comprehension skills in order to fully [partially?] understand what has been put into print here.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:08 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

ORIGINAL: hairy46

When my youngest daughter was little the rec had a basketball tournament where they devided the kids up. They played and my daughters team did come in dead last. And yes she and all her team was handed the same trophys that first place got. I sure got the looks when I refused it. Then I had to explain to my daughter why and what the trophy represents. Her team did not win outside of having fun. In my family we do put up trophys and ribbons but they have to meen something like you really did come in in the top three or won the poetry contest, (daughter was published with that one) my kids knew it was more then entering or just playing the game. They were expexted to do thier best! If they did thier best and it only got them a 4 th place then that was fine. I never told them what sports to play but I did exspect them to play something if it be a sport or an intrument they was to do something in thier spare time because there was no tv. All my girls did do the band in school. And play some sports. Kids will get lazy if you let them. I have never been lazy and would not alow it with them. We worked hard on the weekend and when done we played hard at the basketball hoop or a nice picnic with a frisbie. We kept a pace and to this day my kids have done very well in the job market.
Hats off to you! Thank god there are others who think like me.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Jaybird

Okay, I get it. I've got the wrong end of the stick too as far as your points. I appologize for ranting.

Jaybird.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:16 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: hairy46

I do know what you are saying the mags seem to be all about arfs and foamys anymore may not renew this year.
Hairy, if you ever see a copy of "Stunt News"..grab it..! It is a magazine dedicated to control line but it is chock full of great building articles and there usually are some plans in each issue. It isn't RC related at all...but it really does relate to RC builders who want to stay on top of the lightest building and finishing techniques. Some of the most beautiful original designs I've ever seen and they don't need too much imagination to build as RC models. I'm not sure if it is still being published, but it might show up at swap meets.
Believe it or not, Brodak imports a couple ARFS of famous old C/L designs that fly real well. Many of those guys are "old codgers" who can't build any more due to one reason or another..[some might just be too lazy].
Old 10-22-2012, 12:18 PM
acdii

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

These threads over arfs vs kits always end up here, blaming all the problems in life on the infux of arfs. Very sad indeed.
Yor "take" on what some of us are saying is completely bass-ackwards.
I've been saying that the huge popularity of ARFS is indicative of what the "man of today" has become...not the cause.
Some folks here need to sharpen up their reading comprehension skills in order to fully [partially?] understand what has been put into print here.
I understood it. Doesnt require a BA in science to understand where you are gonig with it. Just common sense... oh, wait, sorry, people seem to have run out of that too recently.

In a way, what you are saying about ARF's generally relates to just about everything else around us. Fast food, instant microwave meals, drive throughs, online banking. People are forgetting how to cook healthy, which is leading to obesity. People take their cars much to much for granted, drive here, go through the drive through, drive there, go through the drive through, hey look a parking spt right in front of the door, lucky me, dont have to waste fat going to the store.

Dont even get me started on so called Healthy food! If it comes in a package, it is NOT healthy!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM
hairy46

Ok I will watch for it. I buy old mags from ebay because they have builds in them. Sure wish there was a new mag that was intended for the builder.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM
acdii

You and me both.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 PM
combatpigg

Flying Models mag has about as much DIY content as I've seen recently.
They even have a 1/2A section.
Obviously they have found a niche market that is doomed for extinction....
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

What, you think I'm lying?
Do you have anything worth posting?
Apparently not.
REALLY? lol....If you put this much effort into the hobby and building your own planes and you'd probably be a much happier person and stop whining.
I'm whining?
Can you even read?
The stickbuilders are whining about arfs.
Which are you?
An arfer or a whiner?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Yor ''take'' on what some of us are saying is completely bass-ackwards.
I've been saying that the huge popularity of ARFS is indicative of what the ''man of today'' has become...not the cause.
"...the huge popularity of ARFS is indicative of what the "man of today" has become..."

Lol.
I can't wait for the next installment of "combatpigg diagnoses mankinds evils and ills".
Maybe RC helicopters are an indicative of what the ritalin deprived ADHD kids have become?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: 804
Lol.
I can't wait for the next installment of ''combatpigg diagnoses mankinds evils and ills''.
Maybe RC helicopters are an indicative of what the ritalin deprived ADHD kids have become?
You've already demonstrated that you don't understand a word I've said so I can't expect you to address my points with an intelligent response worthy of any more comment than this.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

If you want to know why Chinese kids aren't fat like American kids, it's because there in a sweat shop building your AFR's.

Rick
Old 10-22-2012, 06:37 PM
acdii

Yeah, but Chinese kids in America are fat as any other kid.  Maybe thats what needs to be done to slim down the population, Sweat shops!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 804

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

What, you think I'm lying?
Do you have anything worth posting?
Apparently not.
REALLY? lol....If you put this much effort into the hobby and building your own planes and you'd probably be a much happier person and stop whining.
I'm whining?
Can you even read?
The stickbuilders are whining about arfs.
Which are you?
An arfer or a whiner?
I'm not whining about a damn thing, but I'm Stickbuilder

Bill, Waco Brother#1
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: Rick W

If you want to know why Chinese kids aren't fat like American kids, it's because there in a sweat shop building your AFR's.

Rick
Send a suggestion to the Presidential Counsel for Physical Fitness and maybe they can get a "cultural exchange" program going with some of our dimensionally challenged children.
It's a win-win. The Chinese get some free labor and the fat younsters "on loan" from the USA will get to learn how to slop planes together with hot glue, luan pulp plywood, grade Z balsa and shelf paper covering..
Old 10-23-2012, 01:28 AM
FLYMAD

We all enjoy the hobby in our own way, Some like kit building some like ARFs and some like both. All that matters is that we see each other at the field and have a good time doing what we like. I think that sums it up. BTW people do hobbies to get away from life and unwind, This doesn't seem like the place to talk about child obesity...
Old 10-23-2012, 03:18 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: FLYMAD

We all enjoy the hobby in our own way, Some like kit building some like ARFs and some like both. All that matters is that we see each other at the field and have a good time doing what we like. I think that sums it up. BTW people do hobbies to get away from life and unwind, This doesn't seem like the place to talk about child obesity...
Yeah, but you have to remember that ARFs are the cause of child obesity [X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.