Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

No Extravaganza for 2013?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

No Extravaganza for 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default No Extravaganza for 2013?

Just read on Face Book that the museum cancelled this years event?

What's going on?

~ Jeff
Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Baron Fel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No Extravaganza for 2013?

***!?!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are having a tough time with finaces......things are tight. There will be a spring battle, people should turn up and support the place or see it go away.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Onondaga

Their main website doesn't say anything about a cancellation..  http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/Extravaganza.htm
Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Devildog0341Va

Yes as Jeff said it wasposted on there facebook page. I will be at the spring battle. They are great people with a lot of history down there.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

the museum looks like a great place to learn about WWII history and about these tanks they have great displays the tanks look amazing wouldn't goverment funding be available to keep a place like this open, is it endangered to close i wouldn't want to see this close as the battle field is also one of the best around hope all works out i want to go there one day
Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Dana Lowell

Guys, Please be patient for an official "press release" for details. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM
DirtyBird69

Yup, I'll be at the Spring battle as well....

ORIGINAL: Devildog0341Va

Yes as Jeff said it wasposted on there facebook page. I will be at the spring battle. They are great people with a lot of history down there.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RC Tank Battleweekend Events will continue as usual.

The Gasser Family is commited to the RC tanking as are NEAD and HEAT and the other tank clubs. More clubs are asking to have events there. As Dana mentioned, a official anouncement will be forth-coming. As I have mentioned repeatedly on RCU and NEAD, the Extravaganza is very expensive, labor intensive and an increasingly rare event. The AAF Tank Museum Extravaganza is very elaborate and takes months of planning and preparation by the small staff. Volunteers come from over 600 miles to assist. Flame-thrower Guru Charlie Hobson was recently on the Discovery Channel with his flame-throwers on the hit "Family Guns". Those of you who have made it there know how impressive and spectaular the weapons and tank demonstrations are. It costs many thousands of dollars to run a event of this quality and caliber. The RC tank events are not in any jeapoardy and we are always welcome. Times are changing and we all must adapt. Plan now for the Spring RC tank events and I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Now you know why I have been preaching for years not to put off coming to Danville. Plan a trip now for 2013.

On behalf of NEAD I want to thank the Gasser Family for always making us RC tankers feel so welcome in their "Home". We look forward to many more events with them in 2013.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Airbrushler

the museum looks like a great place to learn about WWII history and about these tanks they have great displays the tanks look amazing wouldn't goverment funding be available to keep a place like this open, is it endangered to close i wouldn't want to see this close as the battle field is also one of the best around hope all works out i want to go there one day
The Museum is NOT closing. The Extravaganza has been cancelled for this Spring. Plan for the upcoming RC events. We will be there.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 AM
girltankette

The Museum staff and directors would like to thank all of the RC Tankers that have supported the Tank Museum Extravaganza for the last 9 years.It saddens us to report that the Museum will not be putting on a 2013 extravaganza.This decision was very hard for us to make, but with the economic climate that we all are facing, and not only this museum but all non-profits are facing also, the directors do not see any other alternative but to cancel the event. This decision was not made lightly.
The Museum started this event 10 years ago as a fund raiser for the museum, so that we could continue to support our mission of the preservation of military artifacts from the Tank and Cavalry branches of the service. Many months of planning go into this event, and the cost to put on this event increases each year and unfortunately we do not have the attendance needed to support the event. We can only charge so much for the event and the admissions just do not cover the expenses that this event incurs.It is getting harder for us to get competent and reliable help for the event and due to our small crew ( 5 of us), if just one of us gets sick or cannot perform our duties the event would be a disaster for all, and we do not want our visitors to experience a bad event.We would rather not have the event, than put on a bad one. There are several other reasons that come into play for this cancellation, but we will not go into those reasons here.
Airbrushler: Unfortunately there is no funding from the gov’t, grants are almost impossible to get for a history museum – now if it was science, there are grants galore. We have tried this avenue for many years to no avail.
This year the museum will celebrate the 10 anniversary of the battlefield.Participants of the battlefield have come and gone over the years, with the battlefield participant’s changing the course of the battlefield events, but we have found that the Tankers that support the event are some of the nicest people you would want to meet and we enjoy seeing the fun that everyone has at these events. We also enjoy the fact that families, moms, dads and sons and daughters have utilized the battlefield and hopefully have become a closer family due to this, and that the younger tankers have learned thru their experiences on the battlefield something that they will take with them thru-out life’s challenges.
In closing the battlefield events are still on for 2013 and dates for these events will be posted shortly.So here is your chance to participate on one of the finest battlefields in the world, it is here for your enjoyment, and we welcome all RC Tankers!

Girltankette
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. I am glad I did make it down there when I did, So if I have this correct, no to the Full blown tank extravaganza, but yes to an RC tank event around this time?

Cheers
Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 PM
thecommander

"...We also enjoy the fact that families, moms, dads and sons and daughters have utilized the battlefield and hopefully have become a closer family due to this, and that the younger tankers have learned thru their experiences on the battlefield something that they will take with them thru-out life’s challenges."

Speaking solely for the Held family.... the Tank Museum has given more to me and my children than I could ever hope to give in return. Thank you so much for sharing your life-long collection with us all.

Kimberly in particular has achieved Honor Student status that I soley attribute to her successes in History, Physics and Science. All of which was bolstered by her activities in RCing and the museum. Her 15th birthday present of a car crushing tank ride is just one of the many highlights.

Many of us are now playing the Lottery hoping to sponsor the Extravaganza in the future.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: YHR

Thanks. I am glad I did make it down there when I did, So if I have this correct, no to the Full blown tank extravaganza, but yes to an RC tank event around this time?

Cheers
Correct. The dates will be anounced soon. This will be the Tenth Aniversary of the RC Tank Battlefield.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I had no plans as of yet,
but can certainly understand the whole expense of such a program and it does sadden me that it has been cancelled. []

But I'm sure things will look up for the event and it may continue sometime in the future. In the meantime I need to get back there and battle THIS time! Maybe this Spring?

~ Jeff