Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

why is nitro hated by some???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM
outlawbrett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is nitro hated by some???

i prefer nitro vehicles. i love them. i love the tuning aspect an the joy an accomplishment of making it run good an just scream. i started out with electric. i dont hate it tho. i prefer nitro. but i dont understand why some people hate nitro. i usually drive a 120 miles once a month to bigger town that has a couple huge hobby shops. on the way there, i noticed a shop and the sign said NITRO KILLERS. now, being the person i am, i decided to stop in an the first thing i asked them was i was in need of some byrons nitro. it was like i just walked in naked with a red bow tied around my neck. long story short, i was kicked out of there after i told the guy if he didnt stop cursin an yelling, i was gonna throw him a beating. i dont understand people like this. i see it even here an on other forums. i think there all great. nitro an electric. nitro started it all back in the day. my thought is the people that are like that, had nitros at one time an just couldnt figure it out. just my .02
Old 02-14-2013, 03:13 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: why is nitro hated by some???

I think the people that truly just hate nitro are to lazy to run them.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 PM
ER-95

ORIGINAL: t-max97

X2, They probably had a bad experience due to a lack of knowledge..

Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: ER-95

+1 thats why I haven't gotten another nitro...yet. My very first RC Car was a nitro, and I had NO IDEA what I was doing...the engine was run too lean, and then it died. I returned it and got an electric car and have been with electrics ever since. Now, I don't hate nitro, and would like a nitro again at some point, but the first time I got one, it kind of scared me away from it....im worried about not being able to tune it right, the maintanence etc, etc.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Outlaw hit it right on the head. People that aren't in the hobby just don't understand, but I try to explain it. I think it's what really gets you hooked. To me it's that feeling of accomplishment. Many of these guys have only run electric so they just don't know or understand that nitros only run for a short time before it is up to the owner to "keep them running". I explain it like a badge of honor. When your out their amongst a bunch of other rc guys, some cars run, some don't. Some don't stop very well, some don't start very well. To me, this is what it's all about. When you prime your engine and in one or two pulls it fires up, idles good and stops on a dime. To guys like us, this is the respect factor.

Now most of us aren't dumb, we know that most brushless rigs will leave a nitro in the dust. We understand they're easier to work with. Outside temp is not such a major factor with how your truck is gonna run. There's no oily film all over the back of your truck. If your not a tinkerer, it's probably a very hard concept to understand. You say to yourself, I can buy a electric and drop a battery in it and go...or I can get my first nitro, go crazy learning how to start it at first. Break the pullstart, watch it runaway into a tree. Forget to charge the igniter "you realize this after you drag all your stuff out to the park". So for me, there's just no other way. I love nitro. I have fun with my sons Caldera 10e when my nitro isn't running, for me, that's what electric is good for...BACK UP. But I could certainly understand why the younger generation thinks nitro is a waste of time. For me, it's the time I waste on it that makes it so much fun.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM
ejc34710

I really don't know why people hate/bash nitro. I guess, for some people, because they prefer something or find it more to their liking, that is the best. I hate when people say "just get a brushless this or that" even when someone specifically was talking about nitro. I have no problem with electric, AAMOF, i won't use anything but electric for helis and have both I.C. and electric planks and cars. It's just a matter of opinion, there is no better, period.... I just try to ignore them.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM
ER-95

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

I think Outlaw hit it right on the head. People that aren't in the hobby just don't understand, but I try to explain it. I think it's what really gets you hooked. To me it's that feeling of accomplishment. Many of these guys have only run electric so they just don't know or understand that nitros only run for a short time before it is up to the owner to "keep them running". I explain it like a badge of honor. When your out their amongst a bunch of other rc guys, some cars run, some don't. Some don't stop very well, some don't start very well. To me, this is what it's all about. When you prime your engine and in one or two pulls it fires up, idles good and stops on a dime. To guys like us, this is the respect factor.

Now most of us aren't dumb, we know that most brushless rigs will leave a nitro in the dust. We understand they're easier to work with. Outside temp is not such a major factor with how your truck is gonna run. There's no oily film all over the back of your truck. If your not a tinkerer, it's probably a very hard concept to understand. You say to yourself, I can buy a electric and drop a battery in it and go...or I can get my first nitro, go crazy learning how to start it at first. Break the pullstart, watch it runaway into a tree. Forget to charge the igniter "you realize this after you drag all your stuff out to the park". So for me, there's just no other way. I love nitro. I have fun with my sons Caldera 10e when my nitro isn't running, for me, that's what electric is good for...BACK UP. But I could certainly understand why the younger generation thinks nitro is a waste of time. For me, it's the time I waste on it that makes it so much fun.
Good Stuff

Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM
outlawbrett

i try to ignore them too, but this guy at this hobby shop really didnt like me because i have a nitro vehicle. but i have honestly been looking at crawlers. i know i prolly made him mad when i asked about fuel...LOL. but this guy was a real douche. but bottom line i had my grandson with me an he is calling anybody tat has nitros are ignorant, dumba@#  hillbillies. i may be a hillbilly, but i aints a ignorant hillbilly. LOL...it just shocked me this guy hated nitros so bad to actually yell an curse at me an threaten me while i was standing there holding my grandsons hand. my comment about the fuel was a joke an i wanted to check out his shop an see how much his crawlers were selling for. i guess im prolly lucky i had my grandson with me, because that guy prolly wud have gotten put over my knee an his a@# paddled until he learned some respect. im in this hobby because its fun an also it gives me a chance to spend time with my boys an watch them learn about something an enjoy it. i never thot there would be people like that out there. ive seen it in forums, but not in a business.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:08 PM
ejc34710

Sounds like that guy in the hobby shop may have benifited from some time in a psych ward.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 PM
OvalRacer99

Lazy? Realy?
Umm...NO!!!!!!!

Sounds like you nitro guys are loking for some sort of justification for your love of nitro.

I am a racer, I hate bashing. Here where I live, nobody races nitro. Besides, we have winters that are long and cold and with electric, I can run indoors,
can't do that with nitro!!! Ilove my electric 1/8th scale truggy.

Run what you like and if we don't agree, so be it.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

personally i just hate the sound, the amount of noise they make, and the long term fuel cost.
beyond that, there's nothing wrong with nitro. i think people just talk crap about it because it gets out performed by electric. narrow minds trying to stay in vogue so others will think they're cool
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM
ejc34710

ORIGINAL: OvalRacer99

Lazy? Realy?
Umm...NO!!!!!!!

Sounds like you nitro guys are loking for some sort of justification for your love of nitro.

I am a racer, I hate bashing. Here where I live, nobody races nitro. Besides, we have winters that are long and cold and with electric, I can run indoors,
can't do that with nitro!!! I love my electric 1/8th scale truggy.

I like nitro surface vehicles because that's what i prefer. That's all the justification i need. To each his own, as you said. But there should be no reason to bash someone for what they prefer.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Dads like rc too

I think this argument has more to it than people wil admit. To me, this hobby has evolved so much and guys like me just cannot embrace it. I think the whole "argument" is silly. I guess I really didn't pay attention to the what the threads title really was. I've never had the impression that nitro was "hated". But I have had many discussions with electric owners that think nitro is a waste because it's performance is typically less than the higher end brushless equipment of today. To be fair, I know many electric owners are completely capable of running and maintaining a nitro model, but choose not to because it's just not their thing. But then there are the other electric owners that couldn't do it know matter how hard they try. So to be honest, a lot of us nitro guys definately have a chip on their shoulders. When I first entered the hobby, if you couldn't build a car you couldn't own a car. The LHS wouldn't build it for you, they wouldn't fix it for you, you had to build it, fix it, and have fun with it. Today, a guy walks in the hobby shop and buys an 1/8 scale monster truck that runs on 6s. Gets an awesome Lipo charger and extra lipo's and he's all set. The truck comes out of the box, the batteries go in, and shazam....he's off and running. To us nitro guys, it's just plain out cheating! Now with all that said, I don't have any issues with someone wanting to steer clear of nitro. In fact, if you know that nitro is not for you, even better. Why waste your time with a nitro if your the kind of guy that can't even change a headlight. If you like electric, that's what you should have. It's way ahead of nitro in almost every aspect. If your in it for the pure performance and reliability factor, you'd be a fool to not choose a nice brushless setup. This hobby has so many options that it's just ridiculous to pick a fight over what platform is better.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 PM
JohnP2

I think some of it has to do with the fact nitro-heads are so fervent with their love of nitro (and I am guilty as hell) that after a while it perhaps rubs people the wrong way. I would hope that some have a healthy respect for it, at a minumum. It's like me with rc air craft. I have little interest in it, but I respect the hell out of what's involved with it.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: OvalRacer99

Lazy? Realy?
Umm...NO!!!!!!!

can't do that with nitro!!! I love my electric 1/8th scale truggy.

Haha I never said if you prefer electric your lazy, I have more electrics than nitro, I just said people like the guy described by the op probably had trouble with nitro and where to lazy to figure it out. I agree you can NOT simply say one is better than the other, lets not turn this into an electric vs nitro thread because neither is better and nobody wins.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

You guys were right!

Didn't take long for another nitro vs electric thread to pop up.

I say we start another debate....who has better grammer? Nitro guys or electric guys?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: big JC

You guys were right!

I say we start another debate....who has better grammer? Nitro guys or electric guys?
I'm out of this one!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: big JC

You guys were right!

Haha no thnk u.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Smelly, Oily, dirty, loud, more maintenance, did I mention dirty.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: dalolyn

Smelly, Oily, dirty, loud, more maintenance, did I mention dirty.
Eeeww dirt yucky!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I hate the slime nitro leaves on everything...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ER-95

or gained very bad knowledge on a forum
remember one user that was here hated nitros cause the electronic ignition system for the spark plug required a pile of maintenance. (I kid you not)
I think he quit after I asked him if he actually ever read a single thing on nitros before acting like a expert to put what I told him very mildly
I've seen a whole pile of other wild things that were used as reason why nitros suck that are almost as out there as the example I gave.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 PM
johndavis

well its like asking someone what is better ford ,chevy, or dodge. you will get 5 thousand different answers. run what you like, both have their place. i got 1 nitro and 1 electric i like both. i race both.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 PM
FuelCoupe

Nitro is my first love, maybe it comes from crewing on a nitro funny car, but to me the fun is in tunning it and maintaining it and then taking it out and watching it run like a scalded cat. Have both electric and nitro, tend to play with the electric more lately because its new to me and as long as the batterys are charged can take it out at the drop of a hat which is handy if you just want to run. My opinion they both have good points both are fun and it really just depeneds on what suits you. There is always going to be bagging of the nitro's by the electric guys and vice versa just the same as the bashing of big companys products over lesser known companys. Really comes down to what you enjoy and who cares what the others think if your having fun with what ever platform you choose thats all that matters.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 PM
johndavis

syco, i seen that  its been awhile.  that was funny.  think i could have sold him a muffler bearing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.