Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig Cap 231 info for first flight

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Cap 231 info for first flight

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 11:29 AM
R.Runyan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Cap 231 info for first flight

Hello,

I just finished my Sig Cap 231 1/4 scale and ready for it fist fight, anything I should be aware of, like suggested throws too much or to little, exp setup, etc.

Thanks, Robin
Old 07-02-2002, 12:40 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default outstanding plane

put some expo on you elevator and you'll be fine the plane doesn't have any bad habits. as a matter of fact get ready to meet your favorite plane. Flew both of mine back in the day with satio 180 (RIP). Like any plane take her up high and feel her out. Mixing wise you will need a little rudder to elevator mix for knife edge and she will run down the runway for you in that position. talk with you soon......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	16304_6320.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	10404  
Old 07-02-2002, 01:23 PM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

Default Sig Cap 231EX

I just flew my Sig Cap 231 for the first time last Saturday. I was really nervous about taking it up, but I didn't need to be. First of all, it tracked very straight down the run way and took off in about 200 feet with 1/2 throttle (Saito 150). I'm used to small warbirds and the heavy rudder management required during take off, but this plane required almost now rudder input. A little up elevator and right aileron trim and it was flying hands off straight and level. I did notice that the plane is very pitch sensitive so I was glad that I set-up the elevator low rate at about 75% of the low rate recommendation indicated by Sig in the instruction manual; therefore, I only used about 7/8" travel on the elevator on the initial flight. I set-up the aileron travel the same way about 75% of the low rate recommendation. During typical maiden and initial flights, I tend to over-correct due to nervousness, so I usually dial back the throws until I get comfortable and used to a plane.

I was really surprised at how well this plane flew. I could do good knife edge's at 1/2 throttle. Also landings were a breeze. I kept throttle on until I made the threshold of the flight line and then cut it to idle. I kept the nose slightly down until about 1 foot off the ground and then flared. This thing did a great 3-point landing. All I could think about when I was taxiing back to the pits was that I loved the way this plane flew. I couldn't find any bad habits.

I hope this helps.

-Matt
Old 07-02-2002, 08:03 PM
Slow Rollin'

Before you go out, call your doctor, and make an appointment........

To have the smile removed from your face.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default 1/2?

Taking off with half throttle? Must have alot of power and a brave pilot.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:19 PM
mwunsworth

Default Sig Cap 231EX

I'm running a Saito 150 with a 16X8 prop and took off from a paved runway. Believe me, it had good air speed when it left the ground at 1/2 throttle. Maybe with the way I have the throws set-up it is actually more than half throttle but the throttle toggle was half way up when I reached flying speed. In fact, I made most of the flight at 1/2 throttle since I didn't do any aerobatics on the first flight except for a couple knife edge's. I actually never pushed it to full throttle during the first flight.

-Matt
Old 07-03-2002, 02:34 AM
R.Runyan

Fellow Flyers,

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it turns out, sounds like you all ready know how it will turn out tho ;>)

Cheers

Robin
Old 07-03-2002, 03:54 AM
sigflyer
My Feedback: (5)

A truly GREAT flying airplane. I have a OS 1.60 in mine. I increased the tank to a 24 oz. Dubro turned on its side for a little more flying time. The 24 oz. Dubro will fit perfectly in the place of the oval one supplied if you decide you need it. I recently broke the fuse into on mine in a stall from about 4 feet off the ground. I was doing several touch and go and played a little too long. Just as I took back off the motor was drinking the last drop and the 1.60 died. I managed to get it turned but the air speed just wasn?t enough. It completely and cleanly broke the fuse at the wing dowel former and at the instrument panel location. The impact was not that hard?. But hey these things are built to fly light not withstand so hard knocks. It took about two evenings to repair and recover, but the nice decals on the sides are now missing. I really love this plane and now that it has been resurrected I may try those touchy maneuvers a little closer to earth. Enjoy Johnny
Old 07-07-2002, 01:26 PM
R.Runyan

Hello fellow flyer's,

The first flight was a blast!
I felt very relaxed about flying this beauty because of this thread and I thank you fellas for the positive input about the plane.
Slow Rollin, you were right, I should have made an doctors appointment, I am still smiling.
The Moki 1.35 was giving me a lil trouble (not quite broke in yet)
but all went well as you fellas said, 1 minute into the flight I was doing slow knife edges across the Field with little to no nose drop at all.
Landing it was ridiculously easy. I chopped throttle at the threshold and she flared out like no other plane I have ever had, very slow with no stall at all and with about a 7 mile an hour cross breeze. Finished weight is right at 10 1/4 pound and with the Moki 1.35 I think this will be a great combo with the right setup I am sure this cap will be a great 3D plane. I would like to ask you fellas what prop you think would work well with the Moki for a good 3D starting point.

Thanks again for the help.

Robin
Old 07-12-2002, 12:47 PM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Default Getting ready to fly mine.

Did anyone have to add loads of weight to the nose? I have a saito 180 and still had to add 4.5 oz of weight to balance where sig recomended.

Thanks
Scott
Old 07-12-2002, 01:29 PM
bpu699
My Feedback: (1)

see my other post. I had to add 1-1 1/2 pounds to my sig extra. Consider yourself lucky!
Old 07-12-2002, 02:17 PM
R.Runyan

Are we talking about the same plane? SIG CAP 231 right?

I have a moki 1.35 in mine, and after putting the cowl on I had to add 1/2 oz. to the aft on mine.
The Saito 180 is about 6-8 oz. more weight than my Moki.
Can not be the same plane we are talking about here.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:51 PM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Default Same PLane

Yes, I am talking about the sig cap 231. I have got lead stuck all over the firewall. It just seemed to be a lot because the plans say it will balance fine without adding any.

I positioned everything bu the book too. I would like to add a bigger tank. Has anyone done that?

Thanks
Scott
Old 07-12-2002, 05:49 PM
R.Runyan

I balanced mine 4 1/2 back from leading edge and I have no weight up front at all. Where are you doing your balancing? I changed the tank to a DuBro 24 on its side and it fits like a glove, just trim the tank area a little and you will be fine.

Robin
Old 07-12-2002, 06:43 PM
f2racer

Default Which engine?

What engine are you all running for 3D performance? I'm guessing a 1.2-1.6 2C or 1.5+ 4C will work well. What do you all think?
Old 07-12-2002, 07:02 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello!
I have a MVVS 1.50 glowengine in my SIG CAP 231 EX and use either a 17x8 APC or Better yet a 18x8 Menz ( wood prop) .
The rpm with the Menz 18x8 is 7800r/m on 5% nitro and 15% Motul "Micro" all-syntetic oil.
It could hover and then accerlerate staight up!
Never, never use lead for balance if you could avoid it!!!!!
Planes got to be light to fly well!!!!
Just balance you plane by moving your servos and batteries! This takes a little more time then just attaching lead....but it makes the plane much nicer to fly!
And belive me..... the 500cc (16oz ) is enough a 24 oz tank will make the plane to heavy which will make the plane a not so good performer.......

Regards
Jan K
Sweden
In this hobby for 27 years
Old 07-12-2002, 07:43 PM
R.Runyan

And believe me..... the 500cc (16oz ) is enough a 24 oz tank will make the plane to heavy which will make the plane a not so good performer.......

This is not true...no way! I can tell you first hand that the tank that is supplied with the kit is TOO small. Remember we are over powering these things. The dubro 24 oz. is just right. I am running a Moki 1.35 burning fuel up @ 2.1 oz. per minute. with a 500cc tank it will get you about 6-8 minutes of flight...thats not enough for me, thats just enough to get started

Dead sticking because of running out of fuel is NOT an option for me.

Robin
Old 07-13-2002, 04:10 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default wow! is he ever going 2 land.......

i had 2 of the sig caps with satio 180 and jr 8101 servos and never did have to add lead to those babies to balance. I will do my best 2 always relocated the battery 1st (aft/forward) to acheive CG. I ran the 500cc tank and that will give me 12 minutes before it would run out of gas. I always fly 10 minute flights, it helps the next guy 2 not have 2 wait very long; sometimes we swear we are jamming but all we are doing is burning holes in the sky to the flyer waiting. Of course if you have the field 2 yourself thats a whole different issue. If you tach your motors you will notice (unless you have some special mix on throttle) that you are getting most of your RPM up to half throttle and a few more after that. 1/2 throttle will give you better gas milage of course than full throttle. But it you are getting 9000RPM at full you may have around 6500-7500 at 1/2 throttle. Now if you never fly at 1/2 throttle and you start the plane is going to seem slow to you. AS time goes on it will become the normal plus it will let you do you moves with out being rushed. I use full throttle for the uplines. Now that is were set up comes into play with prop pitch and size that so everything works as a team. Aircraft set up alone with take you sometime before its truley a bad boy in the air vise the 1-5 clicks you give the ailerons and elevators for the 1st flight. It does come down to eaches own, no harm to the flyers burning holes in the sky ( hope you are not at my field) he he......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17523_6320.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	10405  
Old 07-15-2002, 01:02 AM
Phil Heller
My Feedback: (9)

Default 500cc way too small!

I agree with sigflyer that the 500cc tank is way too small! I am running a saito 182 twin on YS 20/20 Wildcat and its good for 7 - 8 minutes max , unless I want to putt around at 1/4 throttle! After 3 deadsticks I followed suit and installed a 24 oz. as sigflyer did. Now I can go 10 minutes without worrying if its going to quit the next time I go vertical! While the twin doesn't have the power the 180 single does, it sure sounds sweet on those low flybys! Check out my website http://www.quiknet.com/~pheller (click on Airplanes 4) to see the special shaft extension Dave McAllister of Mac's Mufflers made so I could fit the twin in the cowl - also helped with the balance --- NO LEAD!
Old 08-29-2002, 03:39 AM
CHassan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whats the recomended balnce point for the Cap? I have the saito 180 and I lost my instruction manual when I moved, so I was guessing and went 5 3/4 back about an inch from the fuse. Sounds like this might be a lil far back. I also had to add about 8 oz to the tail.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:15 AM
Phil Heller
My Feedback: (9)

Mine is 4 1/2 inches back from the leading edge at the fuselage. Flies great! Needed no extra weights to balance.

Phil