RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Jet Hanger Hobbies General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/1945798-jet-hanger-hobbies-general-dynamics-f-16-fighting-falcon.html)

E*nealio 06-29-2004 01:08 PM

Jet Hanger Hobbies General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon??

I was wondering how this plane flew? I want to get a Gas Ducted fan jet that is pretty simple that has retracts but will fly at low speeds that i can land on a 200+ foot runway................I want to have a scale F-16 perferably but cant go turbine lol( can land 3k in an engine yet lol even though it would be nice?) i was looking to have one around a .46 that can carry some speed> I found the JHH's f-16 and was wondering how it performed for a medium sized field flyer.......I fly a 1/4 scale extra and really wanted a jet for so long??? ANy ideas????

Shok 06-29-2004 01:23 PM

RE: Jet Hanger Hobbies General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon??

I don't have any experience with the JHH F-16, but I have had a few Yellow A/C F-16's.
If your runway is only 200ft, getting airborne I think is going to be a major issue.

FalconWings 06-29-2004 01:42 PM

I think the Byron may get airborne in 200ft. It's a very slow flying dcuted fan, so takeoff airspeed shouldn't be an issue.

The only JHH F-16's I've seen have been in the movie Iron Eagle. They seem to have a "B" model available as well, which is cool because nobody else has it.

I can tell you something, 200ft is not a lot of runway for any ducted fan. I have seen turbine powered Bobcats do it, and it is impressive.

FOShowNoClass 06-29-2004 01:43 PM

Shok is right. A Byron F-16 may be better in that regard. Static thrust is higher, but top end is not nearly as fast as BVM or Yellow. I'd be nervous with anything under 300' in terms of field length.

patf 06-29-2004 04:00 PM

e-nealio

you can come out to the arca field and fly off 575 paved. we just introduced an associate membership that is cheap if you are already a member of the georgetown or round rock club...

see web addy in sig.

E*nealio 06-29-2004 04:06 PM

patf i am a member of the Hill country aeromodler's airfield (off slaughter lane)which is small field but thats close to me. Where is the Arca Field and how much is the landing/ club fee, that would be neat weekend thing to fly my jet and fly my extra's down south during the week. I will go check out the Bryon jet right now... Thanks for the news!!!

grbaker 06-29-2004 04:11 PM

Eric,
If you take Patf up on his offer.....be very careful. You will be hanging around with some of the most fun-loving jet guys in the country. They are also extremely knowledgable and helpful.
So if you want to fly jets and have a lots of fun too, then just ignore my warning.

E*nealio 06-29-2004 04:20 PM

Haha sounds great but i heard that byron quit making the f-16? Would the JHH F-16 DF get off on a 575 ft runway with a good DF unit?

grbaker 06-29-2004 04:35 PM

With their new addition to their runway, you should be good to go with just about any DF you want to try.

You might be able to find a used Byron F-16 for sale or maybe even a kit.
They are not being sold at this time. It may be a future release for IronBay Models. They do sell a lot of spare parts for it. The Top Gun F-15 is another good choice to start with. Pat just happens to know a little about that airframe.

Good luck.

E*nealio 06-29-2004 04:57 PM

There isnt much info on the kit(Df JHH) on the website........Know any links that could take me to someone who knows this airframe?? Also would this fly on O.S' s 46 df motor??? And a 5" fan unit like the one on JHH website? I am a diehard F-16 fan and the kit seems to really grab me.... I really wouldnt want to spend over $1,800 on the kit and components(i have the radio and a few servos, only need to buy a few more.....) I would eventually after next summer(2005) could invest in a turbine but not now .......lol gatta keep this low in price but i want it to be quality. Not a half $%^ get by jet, It would be my first DF but I would defineatly have a little stick time with buddy box to get used to the speed and little faster landing(not like my "floating" extra lol!!!!).... Well thanks for the info!!!

grbaker 06-29-2004 05:15 PM

I've never seen a JHH F-16 kit or plane. That doesn't mean it's not any good, you just don't see many JHH kits around here. I think all of Larry's stuff is designed to work with his Turbax fan and the OS.46. A friend of mine built the JHH F-4 kit as his first jet and it flew very well on a Rossi .65.

The thing that makes the Byron F-16 work so well is it's very light wing loading.

You want to start out with a kit that offers you reasonable chances for success or you will sour to jets in a hurry. There is a wealth of information shared by the Austin jet gang. I would try to tap in to that.

patf 06-29-2004 05:55 PM

e nealio

we are up by the expo center off decker. maps and all are on the website. the new membership is a $30 annual fee. come on out for the fourth of july this weekend, several jets will be out, and something dead will be burning on the grill.

www.austinrc.org

E*nealio 06-29-2004 06:38 PM

I will get out there this weekend! Just if this weather holds up it might be a little wet, i flew my extra yesterday once in the middle of showers, then the thunder came and i packed up..... Hope it clears up this weekend!

FalconWings 06-29-2004 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: E*nealio

I really wouldnt want to spend over $1,800 on the kit and components(i have the radio and a few servos, only need to buy a few more.....) !!
Shame, where were you 2 months ago? I sold a RTF BVM F-16 (plug and play) for $800. The jet was just awesome!!

E*nealio 06-29-2004 08:36 PM

saodfj;lwaejr ;lkf;ds;dfjiopwejnflak;sdjktj;kwsajdl;kfgjlkt thats make me mad!!!!! arrrrrrgh do you have anymore lol!!!! Thanks though!! You were close to in fort worth!!!!!

E*nealio 06-29-2004 08:38 PM

i woulda payed more but i get my summer $$$$ on Aug 8, I'll be working for a kyaking outfitter in montana getting $$ for guiding river trips. I have been flying since 11 and have always flown prop planes. I wanted a fast car but the insurance on 16 year old on a nissan 300 zx is killer lol so im opting for a fast jet lol!!!!

E*nealio 06-29-2004 08:39 PM

I think this is a little safer option that wont freak out the parents lol!!!

RJCapt. 07-03-2004 10:51 AM

If I were you I'd call Larry at Jet Hangar. I've had a few conversations with him and he is the most helpful and patient person you'd ever want to talk to. If you have enough questions, he'll talk to you all day. That o.s. 46 and turbax I setup is great. I fly out of a field up here in utah at 4400' and it puts out plenty of power. As far as a good starter plane, if your into scratch building, there is a great F-15 by Ivan Munninghoff that was my first jet. It is easier to fly than my patriot. If you need any info email me. By the way, I also have a JHH f-86 and it flies great. Larry makes a nice flying airplane. I know i sound like a commercial but when you finish talking to him you'll feel the same way :) take care.

Chris